Tulane Beats UNO 7-1

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Notebook:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 78a42.html

The game is at 6 tomorrow night. It will be on ESPN+ as will all home games.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

UNO dominates:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... c1ca4.html

We are starting Tyler Hoffman a JUCO transfer.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
51WaveBG
High Tide

This is a throw away game, so why play it? With Mississippi State @ Starkville next weekend, we won't use any of our best pitchers and with this team's ineptness in all phases, it probably is :lol: a sure loss. As usual, the TU dawg finishes last. :lol: :lol:
Show Me
Tsunami

Listen to FM 106.1 on TuneIn or radio and mute out the ESPN+ announcer.
UNO broadcast.
oliveandblue
Surge

This is actually an important game to play to take the bad taste out of the mouth after the ULL series (which was exhausting with 3 extra inning games).

A win here, and it's a fresh new season with a tough road series coming up.
Forever TU
Surge

Up 7-1 going to the 8th!
oliveandblue
Surge

Tulane just had a MASSIVE 7th Inning. 7-1 Greenies heading into the 8th.

Midweek pitching has been above my expectations.
Houma de Wave
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:00 pm Tulane just had a MASSIVE 7th Inning. 7-1 Greenies heading into the 8th.

Midweek pitching has been above my expectations.
Slagel is solid.
Wave755
Tsunami

Final: Wave 7, UNO 1

Nice bounce back after so many self inflicted wounds this weekend against ULALA. :-D
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Enjoyed this one well played solid game. Good luck this weekend in Starkville.
Roll Wave!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

Good game fellas. We needed this one vs UNO. Please keep it up.
Last edited by Wave QB on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nice start by Hoffman. Slagel continues to impress. Gillies doing good too. Nice to beat them and beat them bad. Good to see Hart start hitting the last couple of games. With his speed he should be a weapon once on base. His hesitation on the bases this weekend . Hopefully he figures it out soon. Good win.
Show Me
Tsunami

Nice to get back on track the in this young season. I listened to the UNO broadcast while watching on ESPN+. and found it much more relaxing. The UNO guy didn’t talk a mile a minute and talk up every second of the game. He actually allowed for natural sounds from the ballpark which was a welcome change.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:54 pm Enjoyed this one well played solid game. Good luck this weekend in Starkville.
Roll Wave!
speaking of starkville...the Univeristy of texas @ austin went 0-3 against the sec over the weekend..lost to MSU..Ole Miss and Arkansas...games played in the texas rangers stadium in Arlington, the globe dome
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Good win for the Wave. We needed to beat UNO.

Those hats won't go on my wish list anytime soon. The pelican on the bat is ok, anywhere else I want nothing to do with it as a mascot. We're the Tulane Green Wave. Not the pelicans or any other bird. If others want to spend money on them (which is the reason for various uniforms being introduced, to sell more merchandise) that's ok. I don't know that I've seen the Green Wave script jerseys. Was that a new reveal?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:01 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:54 pm Enjoyed this one well played solid game. Good luck this weekend in Starkville.
Roll Wave!
speaking of starkville...the Univeristy of texas @ austin went 0-3 against the sec over the weekend..lost to MSU..Ole Miss and Arkansas...games played in the texas rangers stadium in Arlington, the globe dome
David Pierce on thin ice.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

I am not so sure David Pierce isn't just plain overrated and in over his head. While the program was not in optimum shape when he got here, there was some talent and a generally solid foundation. He managed to win a bit with that before he left, however, what he left behind was an absolute mess. A lot of people on this site like to trash Coach Jewett, but it took him at least 3 years to get the scholarship situation where it should have been. There is a good chance the whole thing would have imploded here on Pierce 2-3 years ago and he would have been fired by now.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:03 am
Roll Wave!
This is year 5 @ Texas for Pierce?🤫 But, he was 14 - 3 when the season ended for Covid in 2020, although 0-3 for 2021? But, needless to say, still a very young season.🤷‍♂️
Last edited by Wave755 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Roll Wave!
On thin ice 3 games into the season? Lost to 3 top 10 teams. They were 9-9 Early in the season when Pierce took them to the CWS. Long way to go.
Profoundwizard
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:28 am I am not so sure David Pierce isn't just plain overrated and in over his head. While the program was not in optimum shape when he got here, there was some talent and a generally solid foundation. He managed to win a bit with that before he left, however, what he left behind was an absolute mess. A lot of people on this site like to trash Coach Jewett, but it took him at least 3 years to get the scholarship situation where it should have been. There is a good chance the whole thing would have imploded here on Pierce 2-3 years ago and he would have been fired by now.
He’s won everywhere he’s been man, you sound foolish.

Explain to us what Pierce did to mess up the scholarship situation and how Jewett fixed it, please. Give us the details on that.

You bash Pierce for leaving behind a mess and say what he inherited was solid but the reality is that What Pierce left behind was a team that had much higher expectations than the team he inherited. Go look at the preseason polls for Pierce’s 1st season(2015) he outperformed them and then go look at the preseason polls for Jewett’s first year(2017) he underperformed.
anEngineer
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:47 am
anEngineer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:28 am I am not so sure David Pierce isn't just plain overrated and in over his head. While the program was not in optimum shape when he got here, there was some talent and a generally solid foundation. He managed to win a bit with that before he left, however, what he left behind was an absolute mess. A lot of people on this site like to trash Coach Jewett, but it took him at least 3 years to get the scholarship situation where it should have been. There is a good chance the whole thing would have imploded here on Pierce 2-3 years ago and he would have been fired by now.
He’s won everywhere he’s been man, you sound foolish.

Explain to us what Pierce did to mess up the scholarship situation and how Jewett fixed it, please. Give us the details on that.

You bash Pierce for leaving behind a mess and say what he inherited was solid but the reality is that What Pierce left behind was a team that had much higher expectations than the team he inherited. Go look at the preseason polls for Pierce’s 1st season(2015) he outperformed them and then go look at the preseason polls for Jewett’s first year(2017) he underperformed.
When Pierce left here, the bulk of his scholarship money was dedicated to outfielders, not pitchers. I am not defending Jewett, but it was a mess when he got here. You can think what you want about expectations, but you can't win without pitchers. As for Pierce at Texas, he did well at first with what was already there, but was 27-27 by his third year. He had a decent pre-season start last year and is out of the gate 0-3 this year. The coach you rave about is on the hot seat.

Aside from that, why do so many on this site have to be insulting f'ing jerks, like you. It really makes it a displeasure to even come here any more while the 5-6 usual suspects insult each other and anyone else they disagree with. Maybe you like cancel culture, but I think you're just another intolerant jerk. Most of you don't know nearly as much as you think you do and some actually think the program has digressed under Troy Dannen. You're entitled to your opinions, but don't insult other people for theirs.

I'm really starting to hate this site. It offers nothing productive anymore. Any thread that hangs around more than a page or 2 contains at least one back and forth insult session. I want to know about Tulane Athletics, not what any of you "experts" think about each other.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 am
On thin ice 3 games into the season? Lost to 3 top 10 teams. They were 9-9 Early in the season when Pierce took them to the CWS. Long way to go.
He’s at Texas not Tulane
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 am
He’s at Texas not Tulane. They won’t care that he lost to 3 top 10 teams in his 5th year. They expect to win those games. Plus he wasn’t hired by their current AD. And he was like their 10th choice.
The current Texas AD left from TCU and he hired Schloss while at TCU. So there’s my reasoning. Schloss would be up next.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

When Pierce left here, the bulk of his scholarship money was dedicated to outfielders, not pitchers.
According to who? It may be true but I don’t believe you have the information on who was receiving what % of the scholarships. I’m sure there was a lot of scholarship money invested in pitchers like JP France, Corey Merrill, Ross Massey, Solesky, Gillies.

If saying that you “sound foolish” is too much of an insult for you to take, then I apologize but when you say that a coach that has won his conference at 3 different stops, been to the CWS and gone to the Tournament 7/8 seasons as a head coach, is “in over his head” what do you expect people to say? You think it sounds smart when you say that?

BTW, I don’t care if Pierce gets fired. He did a great job at Tulane. It brings me no joy when he wins at Texas and no pain when he loses. It doesn’t matter what he does in the future.