ULL Wins The Series 2 Games To 1

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Houma de Wave
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:48 pm Cajuns gave that one away to us. 3-2 Tulane after the Cajuns get nervous in the bottom of the 10th and start walking a team that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Aviles finally connects on a pitch and steals victory with a good 2-run single.

Gonna be a LONG season, boys.
Cajuns didn’t give away sh_t! Tulane won the game and that’s what it’s going to look like in May. Why not AVILES? You can’t K 5 times. Great for Luis!

oliveandblue
Surge

Oh Brother wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:12 pm Agreed, after failing four times, last strike out on three pitches, the kid really came up big. We lost the strength of our offense with graduation and MLB draft, will be tough to match last years start, it could have been a special year, the kind we last had when Rick Jones was here
It's game one. You don't ruin a freshman's confidence in a game against a decent team. Pinching him would be poor long range coaching.
oliveandblue
Surge

Houma de Wave wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:48 pm Cajuns gave that one away to us. 3-2 Tulane after the Cajuns get nervous in the bottom of the 10th and start walking a team that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Aviles finally connects on a pitch and steals victory with a good 2-run single.

Gonna be a LONG season, boys.
Cajuns didn’t give away sh_t! Tulane won the game and that’s what it’s going to look like in May. Why not AVILES? You can’t K 5 times. Great for Luis!
Pitching seems elite, fielding looks productive, hitting looked poor.

They will be in a LOT of close games with that combination. It IS only one game, though - and who knows what we'll see later on. I didn't realize how insanely young this team is.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:47 pm
Oh Brother wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:12 pm Agreed, after failing four times, last strike out on three pitches, the kid really came up big. We lost the strength of our offense with graduation and MLB draft, will be tough to match last years start, it could have been a special year, the kind we last had when Rick Jones was here
It's game one. You don't ruin a freshman's confidence in a game against a decent team. Pinching him would be poor long range coaching.
Not sure who you're referring to but Aviles is a RS Junior.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Great win. I was very nervous in that bases loaded jam olthoff had in the 2nd. We found a way to win. ULL fans are pissed online, wonderful to see their inferiority complexes on full display
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ESPN+ is much better than All-Access. However the camera work needs to get much better. They often were late to give a view of the play at the bag at first or at home. It was especially bad on the winning hit on the play at home. It was the first game so I'm hopeful they'll clear that up sooner than later.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

I have read, and the play by play guy repeated it yesterday without adding any details that Jannetta is still in school but chose not to play- do we know if he is still on scholarship and is there any expectation he might return to the team at some point?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Front page of sports section is nice today in times piq, although I’m not sure why guerrey calls the Cajuns “UL”
Oh Brother
Low Tide

It’s nice to have a sport to be positive about, for the past many years, I am going back to Brockoff, baseball has always been the bright spot, the one in which we had consistent success at a top tier level. It’s a shame last year was lost, could have been a return to Omaha. Doesn’t seem likely this team will achieve that level of success after the graduations and draft but hopefully our pitching can take us to top level of conference and perhaps post season. Will be extra great if pandemonium continues to diminish and we can return to attending in person.Nothing like a Helluva Hullabaloo at Turchin
Oh Brother
Low Tide

Pandemonium was intended to read PANDEMIC disappears
anEngineer
Riptide

Five hit batters in 13 1/3 innings.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Happy for Trent Johnson. He benefited from the pandemic. He was recovering from surgery and wasn't going to be 100% last season. He is now and I think he's going to be really good for us.
oliveandblue
Surge

Aviles needs to improve his pickoff game. He's been off all day, and why bother with the throw to 3rd when it's two outs??

Reckless way to give a run up.
Jaxwave
Swell

Dogpiling after first game of the year was bad Karma.
Show Me
Tsunami

Gave one away today. Damn.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

It’s terrible that Dannen has allowed our only consistently good sport to go into the abyss with football and basketball by hiring and retaining Jewett who has done absolutely nothing in 6 years- why is this clown still here? Dannen just doesn’t get it, we have always been better than this. We can compete with the big boys in this sport
Show Me
Tsunami

Oh Brother wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:16 pm It’s terrible that Dannen has allowed our only consistently good sport to go into the abyss with football and basketball by hiring and retaining Jewett who has done absolutely nothing in 6 years- why is this clown still here? Dannen just doesn’t get it, we have always been better than this. We can compete with the big boys in this sport
This is his 5th season. Last year wasn’t much of a season but he went 15-2. Relax the season is only 2 days old.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

I think I have seen enough bad decision making by this clown. We should have done better than to hire a guy who had never been a head coach. I think our history and reputation could have gotten us someone more qualified but as more unsuccessful years go by, so does our reputation as a perennially strong program. When Jewett is done, baseball will be regarded just as mediocre and subpar as football and basketball.
Show Me
Tsunami

Oh Brother wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:05 pm I think I have seen enough bad decision making by this clown. We should have done better than to hire a guy who had never been a head coach. I think our history and reputation could have gotten us someone more qualified but as more unsuccessful years go by, so does our reputation as a perennially strong program. When Jewett is done, baseball will be regarded just as mediocre and subpar as football and basketball.
He has improved each year. Last year we had a regional team and got hosed from the virus. You’re not seeing it because of your bias. You lost any credibility by saying he’s been here 6 years.
Jaxwave
Swell

I repeat: Dogpiling after first game of the year was bad Karma.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bad loss. Have to hold serve at home. Too many mistakes. Weak behind the plate with throwing runners out. Weak in the outfield in catching routine fly balls. All the talk and hype on our pitching staff I was disappointed. UNO has owned us recently I hope we bounce back Tuesday. Frustrating watching at home I enjoyed the game more once I muted my TV.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:49 pm I enjoyed the game more once I muted my TV.
Agree. There’s an obvious reason for that.
Show Me
Tsunami

Same here. Ken Berthelot was much better yesterday. Regional or bust. We took a step backwards this weekend.
anEngineer
Riptide

I don't agree that Berthelot was better. He even commented that he was not used to calling baseball, especially when it was obvious he had no idea who the players were or what he was talking about. The pitching staff was a MAJOR disappointment. It makes you question the coaching staff evaluation skills.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

2020 15-2 Season over

2021 1-2

Not a very impressive start !