2021 Volleyball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
localvb
High Tide

The season starts tomorrow.
1st time ever VB is playing in the spring. Hope this is a 1 time thing. The team was loaded in August but I think a couple of seniors graduated and won’t be with the team this spring. Still should be a really good team. I read online that the defense has been #1 for the last 2 years.
They have been great on the defensive end. Offense has been solid. Will be interesting if the freshmen provide a punch. Anna Davis is a big time hitter so I bet she makes an impact early.
1st match of the season is at Southern Miss at 2pm. Looks like all the games there are online!

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm surprised that any VB player that graduated would take advantage of an extra semester or three of grad school on scholarship. Was that not an option? Is Tulane only honoring additional years on scholarship for revenue sports?

Localvb, thanks again for your coverage of Tulane Volleyball. I hope they can live up to your lofty expectations. Do you still feel this is a team that should go to the NCAAs? Can they make noise once in the tournament?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Best of luck to the VB Team..."Ace'em baby"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
localvb
High Tide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:29 am I'm surprised that any VB player that graduated would take advantage of an extra semester or three of grad school on scholarship. Was that not an option? Is Tulane only honoring additional years on scholarship for revenue sports?

Localvb, thanks again for your coverage of Tulane Volleyball. I hope they can live up to your lofty expectations. Do you still feel this is a team that should go to the NCAAs? Can they make noise once in the tournament?
Not if you graduated in December and had a job lined up. Also I’m not sure there are any “revenue” sports at Tulane. The big 3 men’s sports all lose way more $ than they make.

As far as how far will the VB team go, because of Covid I have no idea. Too many things can go wrong. And the NCAA shrunk the size of the tournament to 48 so it will be difficult to make it unless you get the AQ by winning the conference.

The conference tourney got a whole lot harder to make as well because it shrunk to 2 teams from each division.

I will say that in the Fall when the ‘21 class is added to this team, they will be at the top of the AAC for the next 4 years.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane sweeps Univ of Southern Mississippi 3-0 to start the season. Their defense was dominate again!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

localvb wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:50 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:29 am I'm surprised that any VB player that graduated would take advantage of an extra semester or three of grad school on scholarship. Was that not an option? Is Tulane only honoring additional years on scholarship for revenue sports?

Not if you graduated in December and had a job lined up. Also I’m not sure there are any “revenue” sports at Tulane. The big 3 men’s sports all lose way more $ than they make.

As far as how far will the VB team go, because of Covid I have no idea. Too many things can go wrong. And the NCAA shrunk the size of the tournament to 48 so it will be difficult to make it unless you get the AQ by winning the conference.

The conference tourney got a whole lot harder to make as well because it shrunk to 2 teams from each division.

I will say that in the Fall when the ‘21 class is added to this team, they will be at the top of the AAC for the next 4 years.
Can you please give us the names of the girls that left and what their contributions to the program had been? Thanks.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane 2-0 in first weekend.
Play 4 times at home this next week. Thursday -Saturday.
If I’m reading right in Hertz Center. I guess basketball plays in Devlin.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wonder if anyone has an answer for this. We're scheduled to play both UCF and USF but they're not listed as Conference games, Is it just a mistake on the site, or are those two schools not playing a full schedule or something? Anyone know? localvb?

https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/wome ... l/schedule
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well there is a story on the schedule on Tulane's site that says we open conference play against UCF However UCF's schedule also does not denote the matches as being conference games. USF's site also doesn't list them as conference matches.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2021/1 ... edule.aspx

Looking at our schedule it appears the only matches that count in the conference standings are the ones against opponents in your division.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
localvb
High Tide

Conference games that count are only in your division. Looks like top 2 teams from each division go to tournament.

UCF and USF are in the other divisions. East. I assume they are on the schedule because none of the SEC schools were allowed to play out of conference. So that limits any good teams in the area to play.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The team has lost 3 in a row. They lost to SELA on Thursday 3-1. They then lost twice to Stephen F. Austin on Saturday 3-1 and 3-0.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:08 pm The team has lost 3 in a row. They lost to SELA on Thursday 3-1. They then lost twice to Stephen F. Austin on Saturday 3-1 and 3-0.
Yikes!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Lost 3-1 to UCF on both Friday and Saturday.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane beat Memphis on back to back matches. They won 3-0 today. 2-0 in conference.

Not sure why they are missing around 4 starters. I don’t see most of the seniors other than Douglas so they must have graduated in December. Heidelberg was on the bench not dressed so she must be injured.
The freshmen are really impressive. Martin and Davis can really hit. Ervanian broke records this weekend as the new Libero.
Future is bright.
wavemania
Surge

wonder what happened to Ibietta? Don't see her on the roster
localvb
High Tide

She was a senior and I believe she graduated in December.
Most of the VB athletes finish up in December of their senior year because they all go to summer school each year. Really hope no one has to go through losing their senior season again.
localvb
High Tide

How impressive is this. Tulane’s top player Heidelberg goes out due to injury and Freshman Ervanian steps in. Breaks the Tulane digs record in a match. Named AAC pow.
And Tulane POW.

The class of 2020 with Ervanian, Martin and Davis are probably the best I’ve seen at Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

According to the box scores Ibieta played in the first two matches and then was gone.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Lost 3-1 to Houston on both Saturday and Sunday. Now at 4-7 and 2-2.
localvb
High Tide

Looks like they are down to a 3rd string setter. Freshmen put up some nice numbers playing 1st place Houston. Finish line will be a an accomplishment for most teams this spring.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane came to SMU last night and beat them. SMU was picked 1st in the West. I live in the area now and got to go watch. Looks like Tulane is down to around 11 players and ran a completely new offense with setter Gardina not there.
They played great. Credit to the coaches for getting the team ready that fast in a whole new lineup. The played so aggressive and the defense was stellar like usual.

They play again today vs SMU. I’m sure the Mustangs will be on fire.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Lost 3-1 on Friday.
localvb
High Tide

Moving Volleyball to spring due to Covid was probably the hardest situation of any sport. Imagine if football would have been moved to spring. Several of the seniors would have left and several would have opted out.

Now VB has basically its 2nd home match weekend of the season and final home match of the season vs Wichita St. Both teams are at 3-3 and tied for 2nd in the West. This weekend will likely decide who goes to the conference tourney now that they have shrunk the tourney to 4 teams for this Covid season.

After beating SMU last weekend the team showed some real potential to make something happen down the stretch. Tonight at 6pm and tomorrow at 1pm I believe.
localvb
High Tide

Awesome 2 games for VB.
Beat Wichita St. both times!!

They are in solid 2nd place!
Friday was the best I’ve seen a Tulane play in the last 8 years.
Great close game today!
localvb
High Tide

Tulane is 5-3 in conference and #48 in rpi. Might be one of the best turn arounds especially after losing so many starters.
Need to beat Tulsa who is in last place to secure the spot for the conference tourney. Only taking 4 for this Covid year.