2o21 Football recruiting

Talk about the latest recruits here.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Welcome , but neither looks to be an impact player .

Have we failed in this year's Transfer Portal ? It appears so .

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The transfer portal is just getting warmed up. Both players look like contributors, the RB from Utah might be the highest ranked RB recruit in the stable if you go back to his HS recruitment. Cooper was more widely recruited by P5's than almost anyone in the class.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Both are big gets. Keith Cooper is now one of our highest rated commits and probably the most impressive offer sheet. We’ll see if he plays LB or DE like sample/Patrick Johnson.

The expectation is for him to be an impact player. His offers are ridiculous : Penn State, UCLA, Ole Miss, TCU, Texas tech, Kansas state etc

We have about 3 more scholarships, it will be exciting to see what we land. Hopefully a impact DE, WR and OL.
Jaxwave
Swell

Once again, I’m going to temper any enthusiasm on Cooper until he is signed on the dotted line,
Pepper
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:04 am Welcome , but neither looks to be an impact player .

If he was an impact player he wouldn't be transferring here waterhead.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Pepper wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:59 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:04 am Welcome , but neither looks to be an impact player .

I assume you’re referring to the transfer from Utah, the highly regarded RB who averaged 4.9ypc for Utah before being buried on the depth chart. Was Corey dauphine an impact player who had the same thing happen to him texas tech?
gbgreenie
Surge

Devin Brumfield- Covington High and 247 Sports,
https://247sports.com/Article/Covington ... -51915568/
"He’s the real deal," Covington coach Greg Salter said, adding the 5-foot-10 1/2, 215-pound Brumfield is the best player he's ever coached.

Brumfield is a violent, physical runner having gained 4,242 yards and 52 touchdowns in his career. In 32 games he's rushed for over 100 yards 25 times, bench presses 375 pounds, squats 550 and cleans 285.

"He runs with great vision," Salter said. "He has great burst. He doesn't have the track speed some of these other guys may have but he has that extra gear that makes him as fast as anyone on the field. He has very good speed, great burst, catches the ball well.
He’s very humble, a great teammate, he plays hurt, he plays angry, he plays everything. He doesn’t hold anything back for the guys around him."
As a Prospect
247SPORTS COMPOSITE®--0.8646
NATL.--727
RB--35
LA--30
gbgreenie
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:15 pm I’m so confused how Bill Clark hasn’t been hired away from UAB yet. Same for Billy Napier. Both programs will likely take large steps back once that happens and we will own them. Not that I don’t think we could beat them now, but it would be too close for comfort.

If we somehow win 8 games or more next year and Willie gets hired away, I’d be all for giving the job to Bill Clark (or maybe Chip Long in that scenario).
Why waste your energy!!! Willie is not leaving is retiring here as long as we want him. It is only prudent for coaches to let the school know their value on the open market. Why would Willie ever want to start over at his age??? He enjoys being coach here, he loves the kind of athlete that he gets at Tulane and is fully committed to finish his career here, is commitment is proven by his changes he are making with the coaching staff and the commitment the University has given him free reign to do what is necessary to win.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:02 pm

I assume you’re referring to the transfer from Utah, the highly regarded RB who averaged 4.9ypc for Utah before being buried on the depth chart. Was Corey dauphine an impact player who had the same thing happen to him texas tech?
Exactly. It's not like some head coaches, including our own, don't fail to play their best players. Whether its a tenure system, or some other inherent bias, coaches often fail to identify and play their best talent. Former coach Bill Curry was a master at not playing his best players-- and there are many more like him. Funny how the Dabo Swinney's and Nick Saban's of the world don't seem to struggle with this problem.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:23 am

Exactly. It's not like some head coaches, including our own, don't fail to play their best players. Whether its a tenure system, or some other inherent bias, coaches often fail to identify and play their best talent. Former coach Bill Curry was a master at not playing his best players-- and there are many more like him. Funny how the Dabo Swinney's and Nick Saban's of the world don't seem to struggle with this problem.
Dabo and Saban have such an embarrassment of riches its ridiculous. When it comes to talent they just play the 5 stars and 4 stars and if anyone has an attitude, cycle in the next group of 4 stars riding the bench.
wave97
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:18 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:23 am

Dabo and Saban have such an embarrassment of riches its ridiculous. When it comes to talent they just play the 5 stars and 4 stars and if anyone has an attitude, cycle in the next group of 4 stars riding the bench.
Believe it or not, there once was a time when the relative competitiveness of football programs between and among conferences & independents was rich.
What changed?
That's right, kids aren't playing anywhere near to the historic levels of the post war to mid-nineties.
It's a beautiful thing to dance first class on the Titanic, but it starts getting lonely when active participants are less than the fingers on one hand.. If you think that increasing participation of dancers will help; you may be disappointed. as It will only expose the collapse of the distribution of football talent. Teams of well developed kids with talent are a thing of the past in spite of the massive athletic facilities & budgets of the P5 cartel. Coaches haven't become less effective, players have & for a very good reason,; self preservation.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:56 am Believe it or not, there once was a time when the relative competitiveness of football programs between and among conferences & independents was rich.
What changed?
That's right, kids aren't playing anywhere near to the historic levels of the post war to mid-nineties.
It's a beautiful thing to dance first class on the Titanic, but it starts getting lonely when active participants are less than the fingers on one hand.. If you think that increasing participation of dancers will help; you may be disappointed. as It will only expose the collapse of the distribution of football talent. Teams of well developed kids with talent are a thing of the past in spite of the massive athletic facilities & budgets of the P5 cartel. Coaches haven't become less effective, players have & for a very good reason,; self preservation.
What I think you're touching on is the fact that football's popularity among children growing up has been on the decline since the late 80's. It translates into a lot less talent being spread thinly, and/or being hoarded by the select few programs. I may have my timeline off, but in my mind it coincides with the growing awareness of concussions and long term affects of them.

The sport has also necessarily changed and continues to do so. Once the hard helmet came into being it upped the violence level and that sold. The game is more wide open because, in part, of the "pussy-ing down" protective nature of a couple of decades of rule changes.
wave97
Swell

The "pussifying" rules in the secondary has been a success Player safety, offensive production & entertainment has no doubt increased.
However, there is nothing that can be done to pump up the player safety & statistics for what goes on in the box on every play without completley changing the fundamental nature of the game.
Last edited by wave97 on Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:15 am The "pussifying" rules in the secondary has been a success Player safety, production & entertainment has no doubt increased.
However, there is nothing that can be done to pump up the player safety & statistics for what goes on in the box on every play without completely changing the fundamental nature of the game.
I cannot agree more. I don't say the rule changes are bad, it's just a different game and the changes were absolutely necessary. We're going to see more, including at some point an elimination of the kickoff. In spite of these changes, there's a lot of parents that don't want their kids to risk concussion syndrome and the lifelong lasting effects and are steering their kids away from the sport. I know one of my twin boys really wants to play and I have second thoughts (though I'm going to let him play.)
wave97
Swell

Don't encourage your kids to play football.
If they choose to play, limit the participation to high school. If your child wants to play Pop Warner go ahead and let him - if he isn't a sociopath he'll never play again. That's for sure👍
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
waveclem
Surge

I saw last night that we received a commitment from Dwane Tillis Jr from DeLasalle. He's listed as an End/LB. Didnt see many offers on his page. Thinking he might be a PWO. Also we offered (also PWO) a WR from St Aug named Shad "speedy" Brooks. He's listed at 5-9, 160 but he looks closer to 5-7 if I had to guess. Either way the kid has a 600 pound squat which is immensely impressive.
Jaxwave
Swell

Tillis 5’11” 223
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

There may be a better thread/forum for this post. If there is, feel free to move it.

Here's captured Zoom video of Saban taking part in a recruiting call. Interesting stuff.

wave97
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:02 pm There may be a better thread/forum for this post. If there is, feel free to move it.

Here's captured Zoom video of Saban taking part in a recruiting call. Interesting stuff.

True. True. True👍
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
AugWave
Swell

I noticed we added another walk on from St Thomas More, Jean Jacques Hunter. A safety. Only had lower level offers (DIII, I think). Looks like a good walk on that could potentially wind up playing some special teams. Would be great if he's a late bloomer.

The new tuition plan that Tulane rolled out for Louisianans is already helping us out as we've added multiple local players as walk ons.

Typing fast, ignore the typos/grammar if there are any errors.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
MicMan
Swell

I know we're detailing the roster, but does anyone get excited about walk-ons? I mean, Rutgers just signed a four-star LB from Pennsylvania who had a crapload of P5 offers. THAT's how a coach transforms a program and excites the fans.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm I know we're detailing the roster, but does anyone get excited about walk-ons? I mean, Rutgers just signed a four-star LB from Pennsylvania who had a crapload of P5 offers. THAT's how a coach transforms a program and excites the fans.
last rumor I heard, Rutgers was in the big10 and is a PEE