Why are we unable to recruit locally ?

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We have 3 New Orleans commits in year 5 of WF, after 3 straight bowl games. We always hear New Orleans is loaded with Wr’s and DBs and those are massive weaknesses on the roster. So what gives ?

It seems like in year 5 our local recruiters and they need to be let go, they’re not doing the job. Additionally our DB and WR coach should also be shown the door. What exactly is JJ Mklesky providing ?? Not coaching our secondary up, and not producing local recruits. It’s only the end of Dawson’s 1st year, but I haven’t seen much from the recruiting end from him either. We have had the same WR coach since WF got here . . . It’s been a massive problem these last few years and we bring in some of the worst WR talent in the conference. The worst WR’s on SMU would be the best on our roster.

Aberzombie1892
Swell

Fierce competition. Being in the major urban area of a significant recruiting state allows recruits to be a lot more visible to SEC, ACC, and Big 12 programs. That forces Tulane to compete with P5s even for recruits that would be considered to be mediocre if they were in a different region or state.
gogwave
Ripple

I can understand the p5 argument, although it's still aggravating losing recruits to the likes of Vandy and Kansas. The thing that's most frustrating losing out to Memphis, Houston, La Tech, ULL etc. for players in our own backyard.
Pepper
Swell

It is frustrating. Tulane needs to find that one coach that can make inroads with the local high school coaches. I do know Coach Fritz spoke at Holy Cross's banquet.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
wave97
Swell

We need a signature victory, badly!
In 1979 I received a pair of tickets in the mail for a football game at Beaver stadium. I remember laughing when I opened the envelope and saw a green & orange U on the helmet representing Miami. I didn't know who they were, I had to look up an Athlons magazine before I knew that Miami was a University in Florida & not Ohio.
What I witnessed that day was a complete beat down of Penn State (old school blunt force trauma), by a proto University of Miami using beautiful strategy, tactics & execution combined with violence & speed. Penn State looked like cro-magnons stuck in mud up to their knees to all in attendance 👍
After that weekend everyone knew who Miami was.
DrBox
Riptide

Unable or unwilling?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

gogwave wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:49 am I can understand the p5 argument, although it's still aggravating losing recruits to the likes of Vandy and Kansas. The thing that's most frustrating losing out to Memphis, Houston, La Tech, ULL etc. for players in our own backyard.
Agreed
wave97
Swell

The recruiting environment is shrinking.
The good thing is we're smack dab in the middle of if. The bad thing is we're smack dab in the middle of it with a generations long history of Tulane being Tulane.
We've made progress. I run into LSU fans passing through New England who acknowledge we're that we have improved.
This coaching transition will be critical for the future development of the program.
We have access to very good high school talent. We need to bring it in, keep it in & develop it.
There is absolutely no reason for our secondary to be so awful. The talent is here, but talent still needs to be developed.
anEngineer
Riptide

I wonder how much it may have to do with the ability of area public school students to be successful academically and socially at Tulane. That was part of CJs problem. Local kids were poor students and had their old high school "posse" hanging around campus all the time.
wave97
Swell

Coach Fritz,
Please talk to Bob Davie. If for no other reason than good advice for an up & coming DC.
He was the best we ever had, A&M ever had and arguably Notre Dame ever had.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Would have been nice to find a way to get Tony Hull on our staff somehow some way over the last 5 years. He used to help Kansas pull ridiculous talent from New Orleans.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It is our long history of losing. It is entrenched in local thinking that Tulane is a loser. Yes we have won two Bowls in a row but as I have pointed out 78 teams make Bowls now. So going to nobody cares bowls amounts to nothing. We need to make that big jump and win the conference and the NY6 game. That's the only way we will start to change local minds. But most importantly is this. It doesn't matter where they come from if they can help us win. When baseball was rolling no one complained that many of the players were from out of state. So this just isn't a big deal. Recruit solid players and coach them up no matter where they are from.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

c'mon man...lsu doesn't even recruit lousinana that hard...lsu's 2020 class had 24 signess, 5 from louisiana....La-Laf had 21 signees, two from NOLA, and a total of 8 from Louisiana
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:10 am I wonder how much it may have to do with the ability of area public school students to be successful academically and socially at Tulane. That was part of CJs problem. Local kids were poor students and had their old high school "posse" hanging around campus all the time.
Ding! We have a winner.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:04 am
anEngineer wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:10 am I wonder how much it may have to do with the ability of area public school students to be successful academically and socially at Tulane. That was part of CJs problem. Local kids were poor students and had their old high school "posse" hanging around campus all the time.
Ding! We have a winner.
No we don't. I know you're stuck on that but it's no longer the case. Tulane has implemented several athlete friendly majors. The academic support system has been beefed up substantially. Fritz doesn't allow posse's to hang around on campus. Like I said Tulane is seen as a loser and so quality local recruits are going to go elsewhere till we start winning big. Go to the CCG next year and then come back and win it the following year and we'll see a change in local perception. We need the conference to bounce back from this down year. That P5 stigma is a huge detriment to us. It's so important to kids to be able to say they are going to a P5 that they will choose Kansas or Vandy over us 99 times out of 100.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:26 am
Ding! We have a winner.
No we don't. I know you're stuck on that but it's no longer the case. Tulane has implemented several athlete friendly majors. The academic support system has been beefed up substantially. Fritz doesn't allow posse's to hang around on campus. Like I said Tulane is seen as a loser and so quality local recruits are going to go elsewhere till we start winning big. Go to the CCG next year and then come back and win it the following year and we'll see a change in local perception. We need the conference to bounce back from this down year. That P5 stigma is a huge detriment to us. It's so important to kids to be able to say they are going to a P5 that they will choose Kansas or Vandy over us 99 times out of 100.
Two completely different issues, win. No ones saying they can't GET in school any more. Tulane's made adjustments for that. The issue is still, CAN THEY BE SUCCESSFUL ACADEMICALLY once they get here? And to be honest, no matter how athlete friendly a major is, or how easy we make it, there's still course work that has to be done, and a large number of the local public school athletes can't handle that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:15 am Coach Fritz,
Please talk to Bob Davie. If for no other reason than good advice for an up & coming DC.
Where is Davie these days? Last I remember he was U of NM.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
gbgreenie
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:34 pm
wave97 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:15 am Coach Fritz,
Where is Davie these days? Last I remember he was U of NM.
Lionel Washington as Defensive Coordinator would greatly enhance local recruiting with NFL background as a coach and player. Lionel is the answer to get the Wave to the next level, Troy and Willie, he is under your noses.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:07 pm
Ding! We have a winner.
Two completely different issues, win. No ones saying they can't GET in school any more. Tulane's made adjustments for that. The issue is still, CAN THEY BE SUCCESSFUL ACADEMICALLY once they get here? And to be honest, no matter how athlete friendly a major is, or how easy we make it, there's still course work that has to be done, and a large number of the local public school athletes can't handle that.
Yes they can handle those majors especially with the academic support they now get. We don't get quality local recruits because they, their parents and most ]t importantly their coaches look down on Tulane and see it as beneath them athletically.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I don't care how much support they get. When you have kids "graduating" as valedictorian of their public school class and yet failing the GEE, what does that say for the education they got? And if they're the brightest of the group, what does it mean for the athletes, who many times come from poor backgrounds, don't have all the resources at home, or a supportive parent group. Just admit, there are some kids that aren't capable of handling a college curriculum, no matter how much support they get. A school like LSU will help them muddle their way thru until their eligibility runs out. That wont happen at Tulane.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:25 pm I don't care how much support they get. When you have kids "graduating" as valedictorian of their public school class and yet failing the GEE, what does that say for the education they got? And if they're the brightest of the group, what does it mean for the athletes, who many times come from poor backgrounds, don't have all the resources at home, or a supportive parent group. Just admit, there are some kids that aren't capable of handling a college curriculum, no matter how much support they get. A school like LSU will help them muddle their way thru until their eligibility runs out. That wont happen at Tulane.
2021 lsu commits...21 total... 6 from louisiana...ZERO from nola.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

Ding! We have a winner.
Winwave, we are not going to P5 ever.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:25 pm I don't care how much support they get. When you have kids "graduating" as valedictorian of their public school class and yet failing the GEE, what does that say for the education they got? And if they're the brightest of the group, what does it mean for the athletes, who many times come from poor backgrounds, don't have all the resources at home, or a supportive parent group. Just admit, there are some kids that aren't capable of handling a college curriculum, no matter how much support they get. A school like LSU will help them muddle their way thru until their eligibility runs out. That wont happen at Tulane.
Those players are cutting it in similar courses elsewhere. They can do it at Tulane and are doing it at Tulane. You can stay stuck on a past problem. The current problem is because it is hard to change locals minds after the pathetic losing Tulane has done for decades. We can get players in and we can keep them in.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:45 pm
Ding! We have a winner.
Winwave, we are not going to P5 ever.
Never said we are.
wavemania
Surge

i agree on Washington as DC. Should have kept him when Fritz first got the gig. If not him, there are two local high school coaches who went to Tulane that should be given consideration. Both are at Warren Easton, I believe. Jerry Phillips and Noel Ellis.