Original Tulane Stadium

Share photos you've taken at the game or behind the scenes.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:59 pm
One of the greatest stadiums of all time. What a shame it was torn to the ground. The smart thing would have been remove the upper steel deck and keep the original lower bowl.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
51WaveBG
High Tide

Saw all of the TU games played in the grand old stadium during the 1948, 1949 & 1950 seasons. We were in the SEC and had a real football team. We even had a game with Notre Dame. Eddie Price was fun to watch. Game day atmosphere was breath taking. LSU was a regular on our schedule. The TU stadium was one of the major factors in bring the Saints franchise to New Orleans.
GreenLantern
Riptide

51WaveBG wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 pm Saw all of the TU games played in the grand old stadium during the 1948, 1949 & 1950 seasons. We were in the SEC and had a real football team. We even had a game with Notre Dame. Eddie Price was fun to watch. Game day atmosphere was breath taking. LSU was a regular on our schedule. The TU stadium was one of the major factors in bring the Saints franchise to New Orleans.
51WaveBG, would you mind telling everyone your age? It sounds like you've got some great stories.
51WaveBG
High Tide

I'm a 91 year old golfer who can still shoot his age or sometimes below. My family & I were at the Orange Bowl Stadium and witnessed the
infamous "5th down play".. Got to see some of the old time SEC stars, such as Dixie Howell of Ole Miss and Travis Tidwell of Auburn play. Henry
Frnka was TU's coach. The stadium was filled to the brim every Saturday. One of my daughters has Steve Foley's & Charlie Hall's autograph.
.Also, got to see Bobby Duhon play against the U. of Florida on 1 occasion. I used to listen to all the TU night games on WWL.. It has been a long time, but if anyone has a specific question, I'd be happy to try and answer it. Thanks for asking.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

51WaveBG wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:06 pm I'm a 91 year old golfer who can still shoot his age or sometimes below. My family & I were at the Orange Bowl Stadium and witnessed the
infamous "5th down play".. Got to see some of the old time SEC stars, such as Dixie Howell of Ole Miss and Travis Tidwell of Auburn play. Henry
Frnka was TU's coach. The stadium was filled to the brim every Saturday. One of my daughters has Steve Foley's & Charlie Hall's autograph.
.Also, got to see Bobby Duhon play against the U. of Florida on 1 occasion. I used to listen to all the TU night games on WWL.. It has been a long time, but if anyone has a specific question, I'd be happy to try and answer it. Thanks for asking.
Duhon vs Florida...was that the Reeves to Alvarez play that beat Tulane very late in the game ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It is a shame it had to be torn down. Unfortunately Tulane couldn't afford the cost of maintaining the stadium. Without the money from the Sugar Bowl and the Saints it was a no go. The Sugar Bowl had put so much into the stadium that it had it's name on the facade also calling it Sugar Bowl Stadium IIRC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:01 am It is a shame it had to be torn down. Unfortunately Tulane couldn't afford the cost of maintaining the stadium. Without the money from the Sugar Bowl and the Saints it was a no go. The Sugar Bowl had put so much into the stadium that it had it's name on the facade also calling it Sugar Bowl Stadium IIRC.
The upper decks and the north end zone could have been removed, Athletic offices, Lockerroom and training facilites built on the north end zone site...that was a proposal that was vetoed...the upper decks and north end zone sections were sold and now are part of several stadiums, including the Independence Bowl in S'Port.. the south end zone in S'port is the north end zone of Tulane stadium....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

51WaveBG wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:06 pm I'm a 91 year old golfer who can still shoot his age or sometimes below. My family & I were at the Orange Bowl Stadium and witnessed the
If you live near NOLA or visit to attend a game or two, send a message to me. I'll get you set up with a starting time with our ROB group (retired old bastards). We have a couple guys your age that play regularly. I would love for you to join us and share some Tulane stories.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:28 am
If you live near NOLA or visit to attend a game or two, send a message to me. I'll get you set up with a starting time with our ROB group (retired old bastards). We have a couple guys your age that play regularly. I would love for you to join us and share some Tulane stories.
Hell, let me know when the next tee time is !!!!
Bigschtick
Riptide

In my four years at Tulane, I don't think I missed any home games at Tulane Stadium. It was such great fun.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:37 am
We play every Tues, Wed, and Fri mornings at 8:30. Group size varies from 10-20. If you're serious about joining us, let me know the next time you're in NOLA.

It would be fun to have a gotula.net tournament. I can see name-calling, arguments, fist fights, etc.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:37 am
We play every Tues, Wed, and Fri mornings at 8:30. Group size varies from 10-20. If you're serious about joining us, let me know the next time you're in NOLA.

It would be fun to have a gotula.net tournament. I can see name-calling, arguments, fist fights, etc.
Latern...what course do you guys play.. I will be in Gonzales this week end checking on my Mother, but will not arrive until Friday late afternoon...maybe I can travel on Thursday nite next time.... I like the "gotula,net invitational" idea...maybe we can get some Tulane staffers and "celebs" or "wannabe celebs" involved as a "fun/fund" raiser
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:14 am
winwave wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:01 am It is a shame it had to be torn down. Unfortunately Tulane couldn't afford the cost of maintaining the stadium. Without the money from the Sugar Bowl and the Saints it was a no go. The Sugar Bowl had put so much into the stadium that it had it's name on the facade also calling it Sugar Bowl Stadium IIRC.
The upper decks and the north end zone could have been removed, Athletic offices, Lockerroom and training facilites built on the north end zone site...that was a proposal that was vetoed...the upper decks and north end zone sections were sold and now are part of several stadiums, including the Independence Bowl in S'Port.. the south end zone in S'port is the north end zone of Tulane stadium....
golf you're missing the point. All that you just talked about would have cost money Tulane athletics didn't have. Even if that was done the rest of the stadium still had issues that would have needed to be dealt with. Without the money the Sugar Bowl had spent on the stadium and the rent money from the Saints the money was no longer there.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

My brother purchased seats at the pre-demo auction and sale. He donated all of his memorbilia back to Tulane, when he knew he was dying. We filled up a SUV and an van to deliver the stuff to the Wilson center... the look on his face, I knew my Brother had made the correct decsion
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:41 am
The NIMBY's must have been outraged back in da dey
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
Dave breslin
Swell

Hi 51 Wave. My dad was a 51 grad but a little older than the norm. WW II vet living in the married dorms-stadium place. It’s where I was born. Great old memories of that stadium. The other forum talked about the past. There sure were good memories and some “low” ones. But the few good ones were great!! 14-0!! Beating Georgia....it always too Pittman/Brown/Ellender a while but they built a winner
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:08 pm
Thanks. Great memories for sure. Besides Tulane games I attended every Super Bowl and Saints game played there. Was on the field as a ball boy one season for the Saints in the early 1970’s.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Where was the historic society to make Tulane Stadium a historical landmark ? That would have been an excellent way to slow the process down and handcuff Tulane from knocking it down. There is little doubt that with hindsight it wasn’t a huge mistake. Maybe Fenway/Wrigley will get torn down . . .

In any event, any and all stories are appreciated ! I always love to hear stories about the rose bowl in 1932 from the eyes of children and stories that have been passed down from grandparents.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:40 pm Where was the historic society to make Tulane Stadium a historical landmark ? That would have been an excellent way to slow the process down and handcuff Tulane from knocking it down. There is little doubt that with hindsight it wasn’t a huge mistake. Maybe Fenway/Wrigley will get torn down . . .

In any event, any and all stories are appreciated ! I always love to hear stories about the rose bowl in 1932 from the eyes of children and stories that have been passed down from grandparents.
I remember many people back then wanting Tulane to remove just the steel upper deck but keep the concrete lower bowl and continue to play on campus. However the attraction of a new indoor stadium and the rental sweetheart deal to play at the Dome was just too go to pass up.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Used to practice on what was left of the turf field, which was as hard as concrete. I saved a brick from the demolition of the facade.