Changing the Narrative

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

A very good week for Tulane. We are finally changing the narrative about Tulane and Tulane football. The Tulane Promise program will take top students from LSU and other local universities and keep more talent here at Tulane. I mean this athletically but also academically. Change the narrative of it ONLY being liberal elites. Now it can be liberal elites and the some of smartest kids from Louisiana ;)

Athletically we aren’t in the SEC, but we aren’t the bottom of the barrel in Conf USA either. We face Top 10 programs in conference.

And while we have lost a few generations, now we have overcome the negative (backwards) inertia and are pushing forward. On campus Students don’t think we are a joke anymore. No we still haven’t had our breakthrough season. No we haven’t restarted the LSU rivalry. Now we haven’t built all of the facilities we need. But we have performed an exorcism on the Athletic Department. We have a good coach. We have a good QB. And We have consistently been crossing off and erasing the extremely long and embarrassing collection of records documenting our futility. Let’s take a quick look

A winning record: Check
Winning in conference road games: check
Bowl game win: Check
Back to Back Bowl Games: Check
Back to Back Bowl Wins: Check
Getting rid of the triple option: Check ( :lol: )
Win over Top 25 program: Check
Back To Back To Back bowl wins: ?

What other embarrassing records do we need to break ?

On the todo list:
A win over a top 25 AP team
A Sell Out at Yulman
A win over a top 10 team
A Conference Championship

And the Ultimate Goal:

a win over LSU

Things are going in the right direction and life is good as a Tulanian. Let’s continue to change the narrative

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nice list. Greatly overstating the top 10 teams in conference . Very rare occurrence. Face some top 25 teams is more accurate.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

If I'm correct, in the last four years Cincinnnati, UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis and even USF have either cracked or been close to the Top Ten. That's half the conference.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:29 pm If I'm correct, in the last four years Cincinnnati, UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis and even USF have either cracked or been close to the Top Ten. That's half the conference.
And look at that, we are already changing the aac narrative amongst Tulane Die hards 😉
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:29 pm If I'm correct, in the last four years Cincinnnati, UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis and even USF have either cracked or been close to the Top Ten. That's half the conference.

In discussing completed seasons we are talking final polls because those are the only ones that matter. I believe only UCF has done it. Maybe Memphis once. Cincy is there right now but the season isn't over. They are there this year due to COVID. Good club and they are making the most of the situation. So as I said much more truthful to say we will play a couple of top 25 teams than saying we play top 10's. Especially since we don't play Cincy this year.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

In the last 4 completed seasons one AAC team finished in the top 10. That was UCF in 2017.
The list:

2016:
USF-19th

2017-
UCF 7
USF 21
Memphis 25

2018:
UCF 11
Cincy 24

2019:
Memphis 17
Navy 20
Cincy 21
UCF 24

So UCF is the only one who fit your criteria. There's no reason to overstate our situation. It is what it is. It's not a P5 it is a G5.

We didn't play UCF in 2018 and won't play Cincy this year if they finish in the top 10.
MicMan
Swell

I saw Greg Schiano do the impossible -- make Rutgers a Top 10 program, however briefly. It took exceptional talent such as Ray Rice, but also fortuitous timing and a lot of luck.
Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:33 pm In the last 4 completed seasons one AAC team finished in the top 10. That was UCF in 2017.
The list:

2016:
USF-19th

2017-
UCF 7
USF 21
Memphis 25

2018:
UCF 11
Cincy 24

2019:
Memphis 17
Navy 20
Cincy 21
UCF 24

So UCF is the only one who fit your criteria. There's no reason to overstate our situation. It is what it is. It's not a P5 it is a G5.

We didn't play UCF in 2018 and won't play Cincy this year if they finish in the top 10.
Why leave off 2015? The first real season of the American with Navy joining. AAC had 2 top25 (+1) that year:

#8 Houston
#18 Navy
#26 Temple

All 3 were top25 in the CFP rankings.

Averaging 3 top25 teams year in and out is as good as any conference outside the big10 & sec. This is a damn fine league.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:59 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:33 pm In the last 4 completed seasons one AAC team finished in the top 10. That was UCF in 2017.
The list:

2016:
USF-19th

2017-
UCF 7
USF 21
Memphis 25

2018:
UCF 11
Cincy 24

2019:
Memphis 17
Navy 20
Cincy 21
UCF 24

Why leave off 2015? The first real season of the American with Navy joining. AAC had 2 top25 (+1) that year:

#8 Houston
#18 Navy
#26 Temple

All 3 were top25 in the CFP rankings.

Averaging 3 top25 teams year in and out is as good as any conference outside the big10 & sec. This is a damn fine league.
Go back and read the thread . He claimed half of the teams had finished in the top ten in the last 4 seasons. So that was the demarcation point. It's an ok league. Better some years than others. Yet it's not a P5. While there are a couple of top 25's a year there are also some weak teams every year. It's not too much to ask to win more than we lose in this conference. Especially in a down year like this one. Yet we only did that once by the skin of our teeth 5-3. So like I said nothing wrong with being honest about where we are. If you want a typical "all is well, all the time " site it's the yoggie site. Here people can speak facts.
RobertM320
Green Wave

No I DID NOT. I said half the teams HAD BEEN IN THE TOP TEN. I NEVER said they FINISHED THE SEASON in the Top Ten.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Enough with the semantics. The AAC has had top 10 teams, it it makes you happier how about top 15 teams. They have a disputed national champion, they have the #7 team this year and usually finish with 3-4 teams in the top 25. Not to mention UCF would have beaten LSU if they had their QB. And it’s not just UCF- Navy last year, Houston in 2015 etc. It’s a good league. It will be our turn soon enough
Eaglewave
Swell

Beating Tulsa and Memphis will give us a winning season. Things have definitely changed and I knew that Fritz could do it, but the 2020 job is far from over. We don’t have time to celebrate celebrate shit. This team still has to prove to the college football world that we can beat teams at the top of our division. Army wasn’t ranked in the AP poll for a reason and most of us didn’t think much of them anyway. We did what we were supposed to do to a team that beat 3 FCS teams to be 6-1. That “they played Cincy tight” media trash didn’t mean shit to anyone! Army runs the clock enough to hang around and not get completely blown away. Tulsa is better than Army, and we must prove that we are ready for our closeup!

The Navy lost is still a dark cloud on the season. If we can beat Tulsa, then things will definitely brighten up. I believe we will run the table. If we can do this, then the narrative will officially be changed.

Right now, we are playing with 2013 fire. A year that could have been much better than it was. We had a signature win over ECU back then, and this 2020 team can get one over Tulsa. Sorry, I have no respect for FCS 3-0 Army. I don’t think they are good at all and would have been 2-6 with our schedule. There are a few Tulane teams in the past decade that would have beaten that team I saw yesterday convincingly. Army beat The Citadel 14-9 this year!

We need to beat Tulsa and Memphis to show our fans that we are a completely different program. We have seen 6-7 win teams around here. It’s time to raise the bar in Frtiz’s 5th year with 8 wins! That’s something we haven’t seen around here since 2002! I believe we will! Also, I believe this is the going to be the year that everyone realizes that Fritz will never win less that 6 games at Tulane for as long as he is around. Any 6-6 records from him after this year will be considered a “down year” for us. Fritz is a winner.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave Fan
Low Tide

Give me Fritz, you can have Harbaugh!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:16 am No I DID NOT. I said half the teams HAD BEEN IN THE TOP TEN. I NEVER said they FINISHED THE SEASON in the Top Ten.
That's not true either.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:37 am Enough with the semantics. The AAC has had top 10 teams, it it makes you happier how about top 15 teams. They have a disputed national champion, they have the #7 team this year and usually finish with 3-4 teams in the top 25. Not to mention UCF would have beaten LSU if they had their QB. And it’s not just UCF- Navy last year, Houston in 2015 etc. It’s a good league. It will be our turn soon enough
Not semantics. Facts. It's an ok league. But there's a big difference between a top 10 team and a top 25 team. When #10 plays #25 it usually ends badly for #25. I get we're desperate to claim something but it's embarrassing to the program to try and overstate things. We won yesterday and in convincing fashion. Eagle and I are on the same page as to what comes next. Win these two against decent but beatable teams and that will be a good sign that things are progressing.
Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:23 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:37 am Enough with the semantics. The AAC has had top 10 teams, it it makes you happier how about top 15 teams. They have a disputed national champion, they have the #7 team this year and usually finish with 3-4 teams in the top 25. Not to mention UCF would have beaten LSU if they had their QB. And it’s not just UCF- Navy last year, Houston in 2015 etc. It’s a good league. It will be our turn soon enough
Not semantics. Facts. It's an ok league. But there's a big difference between a top 10 team and a top 25 team. When #10 plays #25 it usually ends badly for #25. I get we're desperate to claim something but it's embarrassing to the program to try and overstate things. We won yesterday and in convincing fashion. Eagle and I are on the same page as to what comes next. Win these two against decent but beatable teams and that will be a good sign that things are progressing.
It's funny how you consider it embarrassing for folks to overstate the current status of the program. It seems you live in LalaLand and seem to understate just how terrible a situation we were in just 5 years ago. For those of us that weren't alive in the 70s "glory years", winning games and being truly competitive against top25 caliber teams is refreshingly new. Let us enjoy this sober and fun reality of Tulane fandom. The AAC is lightyears ahead the CUSA dregs to which we'd been damned.
Wave QB
Swell

We have won 7 games for the last two season and closing in on a 6th win after a 2-4 start! In our ugly history, we have only won 6+ games 10 times in 40 years! If we can close the regular season out with wins, Fritz would own 3 of the 7 seasons we have won 7 games in the past 40 years! If we wins out this year, we will own 1 of the 3 seasons that we have won 8 games in 40 years!

We are definitely a different program under Fritz. Plenty of Tulane teams would have caved in after a 2-4 start. Our kids are still fighting. I hope we can finish! No matter what, Fritz needs to land a bowl game.
Wave QB
Swell

Ruski wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:57 pm
It's funny how you consider it embarrassing for folks to overstate the current status of the program. It seems you live in LalaLand and seem to understate just how terrible a situation we were in just 5 years ago. For those of us that weren't alive in the 70s "glory years", winning games and being truly competitive against top25 caliber teams is refreshingly new. Let us enjoy this sober and fun reality of Tulane fandom. The AAC is lightyears ahead the CUSA dregs to which we'd been damned.
Don’t let folks give you any “70’s Land of Make Believe” nonsense as well. The 1979 team was definitely something to be reckoned with, but we only hade 4 seasons in the 70’s that produced 6+wins.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I said not to overstate this win. I have never understated where the program is. What I and others have said is this is year 5 and we still have lost games we shouldn't have. We have failed to play 4 quarters in most games this year including yesterday. We are still searching the schedule to find 6 teams on it bad enough that we can beat them. I never said the 70's were the glory years. I said that '70 team was good and fun to watch. There was also the '73 team that was good and ended our 25 year drought against LSwho. Then the '79 team is the best in the last 50 years. Good talent on offense, defense and ST's. As to enjoying your fandom no one can stop you from doing so. However when things are clearly overstated they need to be corrected. We need to stay in reality. These sites are monitored by the athletic department. If they see the fan base saying we are fine with a program that can get 6 wins against bad teams that's what we'll continue to get.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Alright well Win seems determined to be the second coming of Andy Rooney, so I guess we can live happily and he can shake his fist at us to stop being optimistic and happy with our progress.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:07 pm

Don’t let folks give you any “70’s Land of Make Believe” nonsense as well. The 1979 team was definitely something to be reckoned with, but we only hade 4 seasons in the 70’s that produced 6+wins.
No make believe. We had three really good teams in that period that were fun to watch and gave us meaningful wins. Then we also had some bad teams. By your standards 4 seasons of 6 + wins means it was a great decade.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:26 pm Alright well Win seems determined to be the second coming of Andy Rooney, so I guess we can live happily and he can shake his fist at us to stop being optimistic and happy with our progress.
I'm optimistic and hopeful we'll show progress in the next two weeks. I'm not as hopeful that you'll one day grow up and be an adult.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Hah, so now you can’t take a tongue and cheek joke about seeing the glass half full ?

I’ll take being optimistic and beating top 25 teams, and not being an “adult”. Sounds like a fair trade.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hopefully you can be optimistic after we beat an AP top 25 team this week for the first time in 36 years.