My analysis

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

I just watched the game on tape and quite honestly was surprised at two things. The first was that we scored 34 points on legitimate drives with a freshman QB and three freshman offensive lineman.
The second was the really bad play of the secondary who as a lot of you have pointed out we’re playing mostly man coverage in crucial situations. They actually had pretty good coverage but were very bad with the ball in the air.
Still don’t know why 36 is in the lineup. It can’t be because of coverage or tackling because he is poor at both.
Except for not being in zone coverage on so many 3rd and longs, I’m not gonna beat up the coaches on this game. The playcalling wasn’t bad. They scored 34 points! The second guess on the second down play on our last drive to me might be the only legitimate one but I think the coaches were hoping to pick up 3-4 yards and get a 3rd and short. I think they would have gone for a 4th down there had it been a short one. I would like to see some more quick passes to backs to ease the load on Pratt throwing downfield so much which led to sacks.
All in all a good effort by the team. As I posted during the week I have quit stressing over these games and just enjoy analyzing them with the hopes that we win our share. The disappointment of the results in year 5 is understandable but in previous years QB play was just avg and I think the next few years will be better if coaches can pick up recruiting on both lines.
Tulane not going to find a better coach in the situation the school puts their coaches in so sit back and enjoy the games and the development of the young QB. Better times are coming I think.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

This belongs in the game thread.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
IM42lane
Swell

Great analysis, Jax. I did not think that you had it in you!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
oliveandblue
Surge

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:50 am Tulane not going to find a better coach in the situation the school puts their coaches in so sit back and enjoy the games and the development of the young QB. Better times are coming I think.
Look at the schedule. Tulane is staring 5-6 in the face considering the balance of the results to date.

What can Tulane do to put their coaches in a better position to win games?
Jaxwave
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:45 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:50 am Tulane not going to find a better coach in the situation the school puts their coaches in so sit back and enjoy the games and the development of the young QB. Better times are coming I think.
Look at the schedule. Tulane is staring 5-6 in the face considering the balance of the results to date.

What can Tulane do to put their coaches in a better position to win games?
Institute whatever admission and academic curriculum standards that Memphis, Cincy, UCF, SMU and Houston have.
Now we know that’s never going to happen so we as fans need to realize this and not expect to compete with those guys for championships.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tulane has been accepting athletes at the NCAA minimums for 6 years or longer. They instituted at least 4 athlete friendly majors and beefed up the academic support staff. The problem is the lack of facilities. Hunter said recently that the pandemic is helping him in recruiting because he doesn't have to go against other teams facilities.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The problem is winning. Win more and we get better recruits, supports, facilities, fans etc.

I still believe this can be a successful season. Beat UCF or Memphis and than win the games you’re supposed to. We almost (and should have) just beat #17 SMU. Our true freshman QB is developing before our eyes. Fire Curtis and we would feel good about this season
Jaxwave
Swell

Could have, yes, not should have. They had way more yards and missed two FGs. We played good but have to be perfect to beat the top teams in our conference and it’s very hard to be perfect. They don’t have to be to beat us,
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Let's be honest. They are overrated. They are not worthy of being ranked. They are ranked because over 50 teams aren't playing right now.

As for firing Curtis I've been calling for that since last season. It needed to be done then. We will lose a lot off of this defense. So no next year is not looking good.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:16 pm Tulane has been accepting athletes at the NCAA minimums for 6 years or longer. They instituted at least 4 athlete friendly majors and beefed up the academic support staff. The problem is the lack of facilities. Hunter said recently that the pandemic is helping him in recruiting because he doesn't have to go against other teams facilities.
Can Tulane bring in JC players?
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
greenie78
Riptide

Pepper wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:58 am
winwave wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:16 pm Tulane has been accepting athletes at the NCAA minimums for 6 years or longer. They instituted at least 4 athlete friendly majors and beefed up the academic support staff. The problem is the lack of facilities. Hunter said recently that the pandemic is helping him in recruiting because he doesn't have to go against other teams facilities.
Both Watts brothers are JC players.
MicMan
Swell

Duh! LOL
anEngineer
Riptide

As for the constant calls to "fire Curtis", look around. Who is doing much better? Almost every game has at least 70 points. That Memphis-UCF game was a disgrace to the sport with 1500 yards of offense. The rules have made pass defenses totally impotent. The pace at which offenses are allowed to run don't give defenses adequate time to analyze and match up. Alabama and Georgia have elite defenses and there were still 65 points scored. It's getting to the point where it doesn't matter who your DC is. You just work to stop the run and hope the other QB is not hot that day.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:27 am As for the constant calls to "fire Curtis", look around. Who is doing much better? Almost every game has at least 70 points. That Memphis-UCF game was a disgrace to the sport with 1500 yards of offense. The rules have made pass defenses totally impotent. The pace at which offenses are allowed to run don't give defenses adequate time to analyze and match up. Alabama and Georgia have elite defenses and there were still 65 points scored. It's getting to the point where it doesn't matter who your DC is. You just work to stop the run and hope the other QB is not hot that day.
memphis -ucf was a disgrace to the sport ?...what about the almost 1400 yards, that 'bama and ole miss put up...or the 1000 yards OU and Texas rang up..or the 1000 yards that north carolina and fsu had...I mean we takin' power 5 krap here...but, why bother with the facts or the truth
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes and has been for a good while. See the Watts brothers and Nick Anderson at LB.We have JUCO's on all of our teams.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:46 am
anEngineer wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:27 am As for the constant calls to "fire Curtis", look around. Who is doing much better? Almost every game has at least 70 points. That Memphis-UCF game was a disgrace to the sport with 1500 yards of offense. The rules have made pass defenses totally impotent. The pace at which offenses are allowed to run don't give defenses adequate time to analyze and match up. Alabama and Georgia have elite defenses and there were still 65 points scored. It's getting to the point where it doesn't matter who your DC is. You just work to stop the run and hope the other QB is not hot that day.
memphis -ucf was a disgrace to the sport ?...what about the almost 1400 yards, that 'bama and ole miss put up...or the 1000 yards OU and Texas rang up..or the 1000 yards that north carolina and fsu had...I mean we takin' power 5 krap here...but, why bother with the facts or the truth
This. Our DC is incompetent.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:34 am
This. Our DC is incompetent....and so are the ones at Bama, Ole Miss, FSU, North Carolina, Texas and OU
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:34 am
This. Our DC is incompetent.
Yep, further proof Eamon Kelly’s “Tulane model” is no more! :D
*️⃣ should have been under JUCO question! :oops:
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I have outlined this repeatedly as have others. It’s not one or two bad games, but multiple seasons of regression with talent being wasted. He has been strategically surpassed by others in the league New blood is needed.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

give ole willie sum geritol....
posse
High Tide

winwave wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:32 am
Yes and has been for a good while. See the Watts brothers and Nick Anderson at LB.We have JUCO's on all of our teams.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:02 pm I have outlined this repeatedly as have others. It’s not one or two bad games, but multiple seasons of regression with talent being wasted. He has been strategically surpassed by others in the league New blood is needed.
Say what? I agree that it's not just a bad game or two every season. But can you tell me the multiple seasons of regression? Which years are those? You mean the ones we stepped up to mediocrity, which were the LAST two seasons? They weren't much to brag about but they were steps forward, not backwards.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

Last season was definitely step backwards on defense and it’s getting worse this season.
Eaglewave
Swell

Don’t underrate staying academically eligible at Tulane compared to other universities. The scholar-athlete experience isn’t the same as many other places.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:12 pm
Don’t underrate staying academically eligible at Tulane compared to other universities. The scholar-athlete experience isn’t the same as many other places.
Times have changed. Been a long time since we lost somebody to academics. That coincides with the new majors that were put in and that many of our athletes are taking.