SMU Wins In OT, 37-34

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Another opportunity lost:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 60d71.html

We also blew an opportunity to take advantage of the Saints and LSU not playing this weekend.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 am And, I know many on this forum don’t want to ask this question, but “when is the last time a team playing a true freshman @ quarterback but a team playing a fifth year senior @ quarterback, a fifth year senior who will go high in the NFL draft for 2021?”

This time last year Michael Pratt was still in high school.
Trevor Lawrence did a good job at Clemson his first year out of high school since he won the FBS national title.
RobertM320
Green Wave

My biggest issue with the defense (besides poor tackling) was the obsession on the part of the coaches to play man coverage against a team like this. That's almost NEVER going to work. One particular play was 3rd and 21. I never played organized football in my life, and I've never been a coach, but even I know enough to know you defend the first down line and allow them to catch the short underneath ball. We should have been in some sort of zone, but instead we stuck with man and got burned.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:17 am
Wave755 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 am And, I know many on this forum don’t want to ask this question, but “when is the last time a team playing a true freshman @ quarterback beat a team playing a fifth year senior @ quarterback, a fifth year senior who will go high in the NFL draft for 2021?”

Trevor Lawrence did a good job at Clemson his first year out of high school since he won the FBS national title.
:clap:
51WaveBG
High Tide

The play of the defensive backfield was disgusting and those stupid black uniforms were even more disgusting.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think it’s pretty clear we finally have a QB, which is a big deal. We have never seen a fritz team with an actual QB.

On the opposite side of the ball- The defensive play calling is a joke and Curtis has to go. I’ve always said for the last couple of years that I feel more comfortable when on defense has a 3rd and 4 rather than 3rd and 10+. For the simple reason the opposing OC may try to run the ball (which we can stop) vs opening up the playbook and us getting burned in man coverage and then converting 10+ yard passes. I would love to see the data because I think we actually are more effective on defense at 3rd and short than 3rd and long.
Wave QB
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:25 pm
greenie78 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:20 pm Pratt's not the solution this year, but he's the best we have unfortunately. At best this team will be 5-6 this year and no bowl game.
Michael Pratt is our next great quarterback. And, I was there for Roch Hontas’ freshman season and he too threw a few interceptions.
When it comes to QB’s, Wave 755 knows what he is talking about! Pratt is what this program has needed for a long time!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892
Swell

The sad part is that UCF, Army, Tulsa and Memphis still loom large with Temple in the wings - Tulane could be looking at 1-3 wins for the rest of the season.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 am And, I know many on this forum don’t want to ask this question, but “when is the last time a team playing a true freshman @ quarterback but a team playing a fifth year senior @ quarterback, a fifth year senior who will go high in the NFL draft for 2021?”

Is this serious? Lawrence was a five star recruit.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:43 pm

Is this serious? Lawrence was a five star recruit.
Was the question qualified on how many stars the QB had? If so, I didn’t see it.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:47 am SMU went after Jaylon Monroe, no. 9, the whole game believing he was their “mismatch.” We knew our secondary was suspect. We need much better recruiting at DB.
The funny thing is he's our best man cover guy. Their receivers were better than any we put on the field, and they were missing their best.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

On 2 of the SMU TDs, the receivers were totally covered and caught it anyway. The rules just favor offense and keep defenders totally off the receivers. If college football is going to allow offenses to run at breakneck speed, they need to allow more bumping before the pass is thrown. Give defenses a chance to disrupt the rhythm.
swampnik
Surge

Pepper wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:25 am The offense has way more upside with the frosh at multiple positions. The defense has way too many problems. Is it coaching or talent? I believe it's talent. Nobody on the defense will be playing at the next level. Until we get a coach to bring in the talent on the defensive side of the ball, I don't care who's coaching the defense. The fact that our players always look smaller and slower is a bigger problem than scheme.

Watts brothers can run the ball well too.

Was Cam Sample out for awhile after that injury?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Dave breslin
Swell

Watching Arkansas and Kentucky playing great defense against good passing qbs. Many times they rushed 3 with a zone backfield. I’ve always thought a great pass rush was the answer but since it’s not getting done——. Can Curtis read?
Jaxwave
Swell

To me the only way to stop the onslaught is to rush only 2 or 3 on 3rd and longs.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I agree a couple of times we actually had excellent coverage, but Shane and their receivers were just perfect (and the rules favor offense). I will still say every WR they put out there is superior to every guys we have. They lost their best guy and it didn’t matter- their receivers are on another level. It bears out in the rankings and their recruits’ offer sheets.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !