SMU Wins In OT, 37-34

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:09 pm Frustrating season. We should be no less than 4-1 at this point.
I can't say we should be but I can sure say we could be. It was there for us but we didn't take it.

God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:26 pm
greenie78 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:20 pm Pratt's not the solution this year, but he's the best we have unfortunately. At best this team will be 5-6 this year and no bowl game.
Tulane could still make a bowl game if a bowl picks us since there is no minimum win requirement. That’s both good news and sad news.
I haven't read anything confirming or denying this, but my gut tells me there won't be 40 bowl games this year. Without fans they're mostly huge money pits.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

For those asking about that line SMU fan:

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Warren Sharp. Research and understand TU’s failure.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:01 pm
greenie78 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 pm No moral victories. This program is falling off a cliff in the AAC. Need to find an upgrade fast. Fritz isn’t good enough to take us further than average.
Multi year extension already signed. .
Dannen gave Dumbleavy one of those and then fired him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Oakleaf wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:32 pm Fritz shopped for another team after last season. He didn’t make the cut. So Tulane gives him a new contract and he proves why those other teams passed on him. He’s not a Division 1 coach anywhere other than Tulane.
My sentiments entirely. Dannen is over his head in this league too.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Pepper
Swell

The offense has way more upside with the frosh at multiple positions. The defense has way too many problems. Is it coaching or talent? I believe it's talent. Nobody on the defense will be playing at the next level. Until we get a coach to bring in the talent on the defensive side of the ball, I don't care who's coaching the defense. The fact that our players always look smaller and slower is a bigger problem than scheme.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:25 am The offense has way more upside with the frosh at multiple positions. The defense has way too many problems. Is it coaching or talent? I believe it's talent. Nobody on the defense will be playing at the next level. Until we get a coach to bring in the talent on the defensive side of the ball, I don't care who's coaching the defense. The fact that our players always look smaller and slower is a bigger problem than scheme.
I agree. We can handle SunBelt and CUSA talent but not AAC.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:48 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:26 pm
greenie78 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:20 pm Pratt's not the solution this year, but he's the best we have unfortunately. At best this team will be 5-6 this year and no bowl game.
Tulane could still make a bowl game if a bowl picks us since there is no minimum win requirement. That’s both good news and sad news.
I haven't read anything confirming or denying this, but my gut tells me there won't be 40 bowl games this year. Without fans they're mostly huge money pits.
Exactly D. While there will be fewer teams, there will also be far fewer bowls. Many of the minor bowls are money pits in a regular year—can you imagine what they will be like with limited attendance and 5 win teams—won’t happen.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:47 am
The words of a coach who doesn’t have the answers.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tufinal4
High Tide

Not disgusted personally. SMU is a really good ranked team, undefeated, one of the best QBs in the country, great receivers. Our freshman QB is the real deal. We will wind up doing ok this year, he'll get better every week.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

on Defense it's back to the basis....'"men, this is a Football, at some point, a player with a different color jersey will have it in his possesion...it is your resposibility to make physical contact in such a manner he will fall to the ground"...thus being tackled.....good thing this Tulane team is not playing back in the day, when a player who was tackled had to be deemed "tackled under control"..the original "TUC" rule..this bumping and tripping crap did not work when Knute Rockne and the Gipper played
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

SMU went after Jaylon Monroe, no. 9, the whole game believing he was their “mismatch.” We knew our secondary was suspect. We need much better recruiting at DB.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:47 am SMU went after Jaylon Monroe, no. 9, the whole game believing he was their “mismatch.” We knew our secondary was suspect. We need much better recruiting at DB.
whatta ya mean "suspect"...we have the video, they are guilty as charged
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Houma de Wave
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:47 am SMU went after Jaylon Monroe, no. 9, the whole game believing he was their “mismatch.” We knew our secondary was suspect. We need much better recruiting at DB.
This is true, but there were some outstanding throws by Buechele and good catches made by the receivers. I thought Monroe had decent coverage on Gray on that TD pass, but the ball was there, Gray turned around at the right second and made the catch.

Hats off to DeuceWatts on that catch on 3rd and 39...Pratt with the great throw as well...that was something that we, as fans, can’t overlook. It kept us in the game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Play of the game, ..."SMU ...Third down, and forever, and SMU gets Forever and more ".....terrible scheme and terrible tackling....
msdos
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 am
NOLABigSteve wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:47 am
The words of a coach who doesn’t have the answers.
Alternate headline: Man speaks for 4 minutes, says nothing
Wave755
Tsunami

Houma de Wave wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:00 am
This is true, but there were some outstanding throws by Buechele and good catches made by the receivers. I thought Monroe had decent coverage on Gray on that TD pass, but the ball was there, Gray turned around at the right second and made the catch.

Hats off to DeuceWatts on that catch on 3rd and 39...Pratt with the great throw as well...that was something that we, as fans, can’t overlook. It kept us in the game.
True, in fairness to Monroe, Buechele is a quarterback who will probably play on Sunday.
Tulane1111
High Tide

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6919 ... e-air-raid

How Washington state did it, 3 rushers and two Walls of DB’s..... avoids the big plays (run after catch) that killed us last night, but Have to have the stomach for watching a lot of pitch & catch. Especially given the quality of the last two weeks of qb/wr’s.

Also mentions it avoids the pick plays on those crossing routes, last night one bLatant one on 3Rd and forever went for 50 yds.... if the refs are going to call db’s to the letter of the law they can miss those calls! Houston had at least one as well. Last night our guy was blocked like it was a punt return!
Wave755
Tsunami

And, I know many on this forum don’t want to ask this question, but “when is the last time a team playing a true freshman @ quarterback but a team playing a fifth year senior @ quarterback, a fifth year senior who will go high in the NFL draft for 2021?”

This time last year Michael Pratt was still in high school.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:25 am The offense has way more upside with the frosh at multiple positions. The defense has way too many problems. Is it coaching or talent? I believe it's talent. Nobody on the defense will be playing at the next level. Until we get a coach to bring in the talent on the defensive side of the ball, I don't care who's coaching the defense. The fact that our players always look smaller and slower is a bigger problem than scheme.
On defense it is absolutely the coaching. We have talent on the front end. Both Johnson's and Sample will play at the next level. Not sure if any of the LB's will play at the next level but they are good college players. Curtis needs to be fired ASAP.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No minimum number of wins needed to make a Bowl game:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-waives-wi ... 44049.html
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE