Politically Correct

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Well, here we go. For the SMU game, the names on our jerseys of all players will read:

“Wave of Change”

Just don’t like getting caught up in this . Very disappointed !

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DaveBrownStreak wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:11 am Well, here we go. For the SMU game, the names on our jerseys of all players will read:

“Wave of Change”

damn !!! and I thought "wave of change"...meant they might actually put forth the f#@kin' effort to win a game....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

DaveBrownStreak wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:11 am Well, here we go. For the SMU game, the names on our jerseys of all players will read:

“Wave of Change”

My son saw that and is now done watching and supporting financially. I’m sure it’s not going to win over any new fans only piss off people that hate politics.
anEngineer
Riptide

I am not at all into this political crap infiltrating sports, but I think this is a pretty benign and generic statement. Every kid thinks they are going to change the world and make a difference. I think the statement allows everyone to interpret whatever they want into it. Actually, I think Tulane has done a pretty good job of not letting any particular ideology dominate.
Dave breslin
Swell

We have been hoping for a change since 1999. I don’t know if that’s political or just that optimism has been sucked out of me.
NotJtS
Low Tide

And we are wearing all black. ✊🏻
squilz
Low Tide

Not seeing why an incredibly vague "statement" against systemic racism should upset anyone but here we are. If it was totally up to our majority black players, i'm sure at statement like this would be mild by comparison.

I'm not happy with how the team is playing right now either, but this has absolutely nothing to do with their performance on the field.
Show Me
Tsunami

squilz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:11 pm Not seeing why an incredibly vague "statement" against systemic racism should upset anyone but here we are. If it was totally up to our majority black players, i'm sure at statement like this would be mild by comparison.

I'm not happy with how the team is playing right now either, but this has absolutely nothing to do with their performance on the field.
It’s a feel good thing that does absolutely nothing but offend some fans something Tulane can not afford to do. That’s all.
Profoundwizard
Swell

“Wave of Change”

How is wave of Change offensive? It doesn’t even mean anything
Show Me
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:16 pm

“Wave of Change”

How is wave of Change offensive? It doesn’t even mean anything
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 68ff1.html
A goal for Wave of Change, which Fritz promoted heavily in a video-conference call after Thursday’s practice, is to keep the racial issues in the forefront of public consciousness.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

squilz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:11 pmthis has absolutely nothing to do with their performance on the field.
I hear what you are saying, but I also think this expresses the other view point.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
squilz
Low Tide

Show Me wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:13 pm
squilz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:11 pm Not seeing why an incredibly vague "statement" against systemic racism should upset anyone but here we are. If it was totally up to our majority black players, i'm sure at statement like this would be mild by comparison.

It’s a feel good thing that does absolutely nothing but offend some fans something Tulane can not afford to do. That’s all.
I mean, I do think Tulane good do a lot more than this. It's no different than the million other half-assed corporate platitudes we've seen. but it can at least provide a little added camaraderie around the team. And true, i'm sure there are some outlier tulane fans this will turn off. Which kind of to your point, if they're gonna upset some bitter old white dudes, why not go all the way? Put a Huey P Newton quote on the back, boycott a game wouldn't bother me and the same people that are pissed at this would be mad at that too, and then you look a bit more serious about the whole thing.
Show Me
Tsunami

squilz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:29 pm

I mean, I do think Tulane good do a lot more than this. It's no different than the million other half-assed corporate platitudes we've seen. but it can at least provide a little added camaraderie around the team. And true, i'm sure there are some outlier tulane fans this will turn off. Which kind of to your point, if they're gonna upset some bitter old white dudes, why not go all the way? Put a Huey P Newton quote on the back, boycott a game wouldn't bother me and the same people that are pissed at this would be mad at that too, and then you look a bit more serious about the whole thing.
Because of years of failure old white men are all that’s left and probably make up the majority of the Tulane fan base. Might as well run them off as well with the political crap.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Show Me wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:53 pm
squilz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:29 pm
Because of years of failure old white men are all that’s left and probably make up the majority of the Tulane fan base. Might as well run them off as well with the political crap.
Fair point. No “probably” about it.
Aegis
High Tide

I guess Affirmative Action was a waste of time and money. As is most social engineering. This stuff changes nothing, just keeps the pendulum swinging to full deflection left and right. Watch out when it swings back.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Just like those who resisted the civil rights movement in the 60s and 70s, the folks who are struggling against social change and racial justice are on the wrong side of history.
Houma de Wave
Swell

None of this means anything to me unless we win...I like that kind of change!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:30 pm Just like those who resisted the civil rights movement in the 60s and 70s, the folks who are struggling against social change and racial justice are on the wrong side of history.
hmmm, I wonder who started the movments of the 60's and 70's,... I bet it was those, who sum today call "old white people"......those who are "struggling"...better look in the mirror, and not at me....
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave71
Ripple

This political BS has no place in sports.... Thanks for running off the few fans we have left... I was already done with the Saints and now Tulane..
The NBA had to learn the hard way... Guess the NFL and college ball will have to learn the same way.... Tulane.... Please don't bother calling for any donations... Im done Lets see how this wave of change works out for you..... SAD
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I must admit, I haven’t watched a single down of any Saints game this year for those very reasons. And I haven’t missed it a bit.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
anEngineer
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:15 am I must admit, I haven’t watched a single down of any Saints game this year for those very reasons. And I haven’t missed it a bit.
I gave up NFL as well and have also not missed it in the least.
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:20 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:30 pm Just like those who resisted the civil rights movement in the 60s and 70s, the folks who are struggling against social change and racial justice are on the wrong side of history.
hmmm, I wonder who those are who started the movments of the 60's and 70's,
Dr. Martin Luther King was a life long Republican. Union League lives matter!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:30 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:20 pm
hmmm, I wonder who those are who started the movments of the 60's and 70's,
Dr. Martin Luther King was a life long Republican. Union League lives matter!
I never saw or heard about one Republican "standing in the doorway" of schools to block people of color from entering.... I never saw one Republican order the" fire hoses" turned on, or the "dogs" to be let loose'... I HAVE seen the fine reps of the Jeff Parish Democratic/KKK party burn crosses on my grandparent's property, and thanks to teh democrats of the state of mississippi, I have seen men of color hanging from Oak trees on Hwy 51 south of Brookhaven,..for you youngsters prior to I-55 being built, hwy 51 was the road from nola to jackson, in fact all the way to chicago
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave71 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:24 am This political BS has no place in sports.... Thanks for running off the few fans we have left... I was already done with the Saints and now Tulane..
The NBA had to learn the hard way... Guess the NFL and college ball will have to learn the same way.... Tulane.... Please don't bother calling for any donations... Im done Lets see how this wave of change works out for you..... SAD
This!!
Leave in the locker room.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:15 am I must admit, I haven’t watched a single down of any Saints game this year for those very reasons. And I haven’t missed it a bit.
Same here. Never watched one NBA playoff game either. I may have watched Zion with the Pels a few regular season bubble games but that’s it.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981