Troy Dannen You're Fired

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:20 am We have been to two consecutive Bowl Games and won both of them. Our football program is in a better place right now. Even with a 2-2 record during the wacky COVID-19 season, we are in a better place. The season is not over, and Fritz is a proven winner. Yes, the Navy game should have been a win, but shitty days happen. Fritz is the best thing that has happened to our sidelines since Bowden. Troy wants winning football and basketball at Tulane. He is confident that Fritz will get rid of his coaches who aren’t cutting it.

After two consecutive bowl appearances, we can’t hit the panic button just yet.
This is an insane Covid-19 season, has Saban suddenly forgotten how to coach defense? On Saturday Ole Miss had 647 total yards, 379 passing, 268 rushing and scored 48 points? And in turn, 'Bama scored 63 points and had 723 yards of total offense? And, the 1,370 combined yards is the most in a single game in SEC history!

IDK, I am glad we are playing but this season my prove to be an outlier from A to Z?

I am tempted to just give everyone a pass this year?

Wave QB
Swell

Although me and Eaglewave disagree with just how good Fritz is for Tulane, I don’t agree that those two bowl games were BS bowl games. I believe in BS Bowl Games when you program has reached a certain level. We have not reached that level at Tulane. Once we start going to the Liberty Bowl on a regular basis and are seen in the Peace Bowl taking on a P5, then we will have the stripes to call the Cure Bowl vs ULL a BS Bowl. Right now, we don’t have that card to play.

BS is when you are watching Navy vs ACC Virginia and SMU vs La Tech in Bowl Games on ESPN while your program is sitting at home with a losing record. There is a such thing as “at least” in this era of college football. There is no such thing as “Liberty Bowl or Bust” every year for a G5 program that hasn’t seen many bowl days.

Am I promoting “average standards” for our football program? Absolutely not! I am just trying to make out fans think outside of the recruiting box a little bit. Kids these days don’t want to play for programs that aren’t getting any media coverage during the holidays. They are pure attention lovers who want to see themselves during the college bowl season.

Many of our fans have been down and use to losing for so long until they believe that we won’t be able to put a coach on the hit seat for going to too many consecutive Pizza Hut Bowls vs Sun Belt teams. It’s not true. We can demand better now, and demand better if Fritz proves that his ceiling is 7-6! (Which I am starting to believe.)
Wave QB
Swell

I know that many of you don’t agree with my vision and I respect it, but I stopped believing that my university was serious about big time football in 1999. I refuse to pull my hair out with the people calling shots at Tulane. I want big time football here, but it is not present and hasn’t been for decades. I have dropped to “at least” mode. That’s why I refuse to call the Armed Forces Bowl, Cure Bowl and the NOLA Bowl BS Bowls. There are definitely not BS to programs has athletic departments that give extensions like we do. We aren’t serious about being what we should have been after 1998!

Until I see otherwise, I will stick to believing that we can grab big name coaches to Tulane if the job becomes more attractive and not a renovation gig! I am putting my faith us landing Named and Gamed Coach who wants to take our program to the Peach Bowl level. Not an AD! It’s sad, but I am depending on that more than our administration going full speed ahead on demanding better from our coaches.

I am hoping that Frtiz can win us a conference championship, but I am more concerned about us making our Head Football Coaching Job more attractive when he steps down, moves up or is shown the door. Skip Holtz and Hugo Freeze both wouldn’t have taken their current gigs had those programs came off of crappy seasons. They knew they had something to work with.
gbgreenie
Surge

Grabbing as some say a big name Coach requires more than just a commitment from the University, the fan base must be solid or Tulane University will become a stepping stone once again. A solid fan base funds a coach long term, a solid fan base is a motivation for recruits and families. I believe Coach Fritz is a solid coach, that when he hits the recruiting trail he has to sell possibilities not what is currently. Bringing recruits to sell out stadiums makes a coaches selling job much easier and hopefully we will one day get to that point. Until then we will have to take chances on a coach with a proven record from a lower level of college football or a up and coming assistant from a top notch program. But once again a Mack Brown, Tommy Bowden, Larry Smith will be hard to keep without the solid fan base, a supportive fan base that builds with the University one step at a time. We are building baby steps lst. Patience is a Virture!!!
galvezwave
Swell

Tulane doesn’t want to be what people would call “good” in football
wave97
Swell

Larry Smith, Mack Brown, Tommy Bowden & Rich Rodriguez were some of the biggest douchbags you'll ever meet & that's what I like that about them.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll always be a stepping stone. No shame in that as long as we make good hires. We need a coach who is innovative offensively and is a disciplinarian. Got to have those two traits.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:52 pm We'll always be a stepping stone. No shame in that as long as we make good hires. We need a coach who is innovative offensively and is a disciplinarian. Got to have those two traits.
EXACTLY👍
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:52 pm We'll always be a stepping stone. No shame in that as long as we make good hires. We need a coach who is innovative offensively and is a disciplinarian. Got to have those two traits.
I agree with that point. I just want the job to be an attractive one. Even a big name coach who wants to prove the are still P5 material would take a G5 gig in New Orleans if they didn’t feel like they had to bring a 3-5 win program back to life again. If Liberty can land Freeze after a 6-6 showing, then Tulane can land Guz Malzahn, Kevin Sumlin, Will Muschamp, Scott Frost, Mike Gundy, David Shaw or even Les Miles if Fritz keeps our program from going back to the consecutive losing season days. Those guys are proven winners and would show our fans that we are finally serious about winning 9-12 games.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The only ones from that that would be worth getting are Malzahn and Frost. Both are not available and would never be available to Tulane. Malzahn may retire at Auburn. If they let him go another P5 would pick him up. Frost would also get better offers if he left Nebraska. As I said we need to be constantly aware of the young up and coming offensive minded coaches.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:55 pm The only ones from that that would be worth getting are Malzahn and Frost. Both are not available and would never be available to Tulane. Malzahn may retire at Auburn. If they let him go another P5 would pick him up. Frost would also get better offers if he left Nebraska. As I said we need te constantly aware of the young up and coming offensive minded coaches.
Put the OC at Ole Miss on the short list
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:55 pm The only ones from that that would be worth getting are Malzahn and Frost. Both are not available and would never be available to Tulane. Malzahn may retire at Auburn. If they let him go another P5 would pick him up. Frost would also get better offers if he left Nebraska. As I said we need te constantly aware of the young up and coming offensive minded coaches.
I don’t know about that. I think Kevin Sumlin and Will Muschamp would take this job and win. Sumlin would definitely have a ball with Pratt taking the snaps and build around the him on offense. He is a good coach. Mushchamp is 49, and will be ready to continue being a head football coach if South Carolina gives him the boot. He has a great reputation for recruiting Louisiana, Georgia and Florida kids and would raise the bar at Tulane. I think we have a shot at either one of them if we don’t let this thing turn back into a 2-5 win festival.

The commentators already don’t help us with their “nobody wanted the job” crap whenever they are giving our coach credit after a touchdown.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I wouldn't want Sumlin or Muschamp. They wouldn't win here.
Bigschtick
Riptide

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:55 pm I wouldn't want Sumlin or Muschamp. They wouldn't win here.
Sumlin is not winning here at Arizona and is at home with Covid.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Show Me
Tsunami

The WF and the Dumbleavy extensions and lack of fundraising are definitely grounds for dismissal.
oliveandblue
Surge

My only problem with him is the Dunleavy hire.

I also find it odd that a guy from UNI (an excellent Valley hoops school) comes to a better hoops conference and gets it all wrong.

You would think that Tulane would be 22-7 in hoops and 4-8 in FB if you look at his resume.
Jaxwave
Swell

Olive, I love you bro but the competition is just a tad bit better than at UNI. Tougher to win at Tulane. I’ll bet UNI’s basketball facilities are closer to being on par with their competitors than ours are.
This job is very hard to attract coaches and recruits to, it’s that simple.
Just looked it up. Their gym holds over 7,000. Built in 2006 for $26 million.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The coach was in place when he got there. The coach started in 2006 and TD got there in 2008.
wave97
Swell

We don't need a new head coach. We need a competent, young defensive coordinator who can attract great young defensive coaching talent. We're losing because our defense is a three ring circus of coaching incompetence. Please deal with it Coach Fritz before the players give up on the staff.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We need a new HC . He clearly stills affects the play calling. He's very conservative. That no longer cuts it. He came in with all his little stats that he claimed if you won them you won the game. Yet we get 5 turnovers to zero against Houston, who is not a good team, and we get our asses whipped. He's made his money. Time to go. Otherwise we are stuck every year with looking at the schedule and going where are the 6 really bad teams on it that we have a chance to beat.
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:39 am Although me and Eaglewave disagree with just how good Fritz is for Tulane, I don’t agree that those two bowl games were BS bowl games. I believe in BS Bowl Games when you program has reached a certain level. We have not reached that level at Tulane. Once we start going to the Liberty Bowl on a regular basis and are seen in the Peace Bowl taking on a P5, then we will have the stripes to call the Cure Bowl vs ULL a BS Bowl. Right now, we don’t have that card to play.

BS is when you are watching Navy vs ACC Virginia and SMU vs La Tech in Bowl Games on ESPN while your program is sitting at home with a losing record. There is a such thing as “at least” in this era of college football. There is no such thing as “Liberty Bowl or Bust” every year for a G5 program that hasn’t seen many bowl days.

Am I promoting “average standards” for our football program? Absolutely not! I am just trying to make out fans think outside of the recruiting box a little bit. Kids these days don’t want to play for programs that aren’t getting any media coverage during the holidays. They are pure attention lovers who want to see themselves during the college bowl season.

Many of our fans have been down and use to losing for so long until they believe that we won’t be able to put a coach on the hit seat for going to too many consecutive Pizza Hut Bowls vs Sun Belt teams. It’s not true. We can demand better now, and demand better if Fritz proves that his ceiling is 7-6! (Which I am starting to believe.)
COVID is a factor, and Fritz isn’t happy our past results as well. Our team is younger that folks believe as well. To be honest, our kids fought ranked SMU to the end. The season isn’t over, and we can definitely win more games.

7-6 isn’t Fritz’s ceiling. He has proved that in other places.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:47 pm My only problem with him is the Dunleavy hire.

I also find it odd that a guy from UNI (an excellent Valley hoops school) comes to a better hoops conference and gets it all wrong.

You would think that Tulane would be 22-7 in hoops and 4-8 in FB if you look at his resume.
He never hired a hoops coach at UNI. And I'll wait until Hunter has 4 seasons in New Orleans before terming his hire a bad one. Clearly Dunleavy was a bad hire, but few people thought it would be at the time.

As far as Fritz goes, I might start believing that 7-6 is his ceiling AT THIS LEVEL. He's yet to win more than 7 games in a good D1 conference. Winning the Sun Belt isn't the same as getting a team to regularly threaten for the conference championship, which we haven't yet sniffed. Yes, we tied 3 ways for a division title. BFD. That team wasn't close to being a team that could argue for a decent bowl game. And sorry to those that like to think the two bowl victories matter. They don't. I'll repeat what I've been saying: both of those bowl games didn't exist for the vast majority of years Tulane has played football. Neither team would rank in the top 20 all-time of Tulane's football teams. We seem to have topped out at APPROACHING mediocre.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TD ain't leavin' Tulane until the senior mangers job at Sal's Snoball's comes open...lots of benefits...short commute, and the product taste good..unlike what he is serving presently
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:45 am
oliveandblue wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:47 pm My only problem with him is the Dunleavy hire.

He never hired a hoops coach at UNI. And I'll wait until Hunter has 4 seasons in New Orleans before terming his hire a bad one. Clearly Dunleavy was a bad hire, but few people thought it would be at the time.

As far as Fritz goes, I might start believing that 7-6 is his ceiling AT THIS LEVEL. He's yet to win more than 7 games in a good D1 conference. Winning the Sun Belt isn't the same as getting a team to regularly threaten for the conference championship, which we haven't yet sniffed. Yes, we tied 3 ways for a division title. BFD. That team wasn't close to being a team that could argue for a decent bowl game. And sorry to those that like to think the two bowl victories matter. They don't. I'll repeat what I've been saying: both of those bowl games didn't exist for the vast majority of years Tulane has played football. Neither team would rank in the top 20 all-time of Tulane's football teams. We seem to have topped out at APPROACHING mediocre.
This. He has never coached at this level and he hasn't succeeded. Shining example of the Peter Principle.
Jaxwave
Swell

Not only level harder but he’s taken a job at a perennial bottom feeder in whatever conference they’ve been in. Look in the mirror Wave fans.