2020 College Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I thought it was cool that the Navy vs ND game was going to be played in Annapolis for the first time in a very, very long time. But now it's going to likely be played without fans, which would detract from that novelty. It would be gracious for ND to play there next year if Navy has to travel to South Bend this season.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

BYU and Tulane do have a mutual opening, that would be a good match up and we would have a decent shot at giving them a run for their money.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:49 pm I thought it was cool that the Navy vs ND game was going to be played in Annapolis for the first time in a very, very long time. But now it's going to likely be played without fans, which would detract from that novelty. It would be gracious for ND to play there next year if Navy has to travel to South Bend this season.
In fact ND has never played there. I believe the likely scenario will be that ND will play there next season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It leaked yesterday that the SEC AD's have voted to go to a 10 game conference only schedule. It needs to be voted on by the Presidents. If approved it will be interesting to see what happens with the ACC. They voted for the +1 non-conference game due in part to 4 in-state rivalry games with SEC teams. If that's gone do they revert to a 10 game only conference schedule or do they amend their rules on who the +1 game can be against and where.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yep SEC goes conference only and Tulane wants it’s money.
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 17e5a.html
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:06 am Yep SEC goes conference only and Tulane wants it’s money.
Dannen would be making a huge mistake insisting on getting "our money". Best outcome is just to reschedule the game as soon as possible--and even if that isn't possible, let it go. Otherwise, good luck trying to schedule SEC opponents for the next several years.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:00 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:06 am Yep SEC goes conference only and Tulane wants it’s money.
Dannen would be making a huge mistake insisting on getting "our money". Best outcome is just to reschedule the game as soon as possible--and even if that isn't possible, let it go. Otherwise, good luck trying to schedule SEC opponents for the next several years.
Tulane and Dannen, need a history lesson...during the Katrina Season, Mississippi State refused to take a penny, much less a dime from it's guarantee for the game played, if memory serves at ULM. Sylvster Croom and the Miss AD refused the check and if memory serves donated more money to Tulanes atheltic fund that year....
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Dannen said he wanted to see their intentions moving forward (rescheduling and favorable deals), he’s not going to burn a bridge over 200k, he’ll let the other schools (fcs and smaller G5’s) who are losing more money pursue it hard in court.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would hope the same is true for Northwestern.

Golfnut, I remember what you remember about MSU and others in our Katrina season. Tulane should show some willingness to forgo a few dollars to build goodwill and good games on the schedule going forward.

ROLL WAVE!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

AAC to stick with 8 conference games and as many non-conference games as possible:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas- ... 449733.php
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Honestly I’d rather do 10 and 2. I wouldn’t mind adding USF/ECU and get us some wins
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 pm Honestly I’d rather do 10 and 2. I wouldn’t mind adding USF/ECU and get us some wins
ECU is on our schedule, and the game , if played today in Greenville, would be maybe 3 point spread either way. There's no easy game in this conference. Maybe our offense IS a lot better, but we'll probably need over 30 points to win that game. The Pirates offense was clicking the second half of last season. You have to figure their D will improve under Mike Houston, who is one of the young up and coming coaches in D1.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'd rather just go 10 conference games. That would add Cincy who is better than both of the P5's we lost. It allows for extra bye weeks to provide opportunities to make up games.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:40 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 pm Honestly I’d rather do 10 and 2. I wouldn’t mind adding USF/ECU and get us some wins
ECU is on our schedule, and the game , if played today in Greenville, would be maybe 3 point spread either way. There's no easy game in this conference. Maybe our offense IS a lot better, but we'll probably need over 30 points to win that game. The Pirates offense was clicking the second half of last season. You have to figure their D will improve under Mike Houston, who is one of the young up and coming coaches in D1.
Haha, I can’t believe I forgot we play ECU. And yes I agree they’re not going to be an easy out. Win, I agree Cinci is going to be VERY good. It’s kind of ridiculous they aren’t getting more National love
IM42lane
Swell

So, as of today (08/02/2020), the original schedule will not be adjusted at all except that the Northwestern and Miss. State games have been dropped. The other original play dates remain the same. Tulane will early start on 09/03 at home against SeLa. Army comes to Yulman in November.

That works out being SIX (6) home games and FOUR (4) road games. Why in Hades would anyone on this board complain about that?
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
HoustonWave
Tsunami

So will the Wave find two other, presumably independent, opponents to fill the two cancellations? UConn and BYU?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:51 am So will the Wave find two other, presumably independent, opponents to fill the two cancellations? UConn and BYU?
I would much rather play NDSU, (winner of 7 of the last 8 FCS championships) who would beat the hell out of UConn, and probably beat BYU pretty well. They are 5-0 in their last 5 against P5 schools, and own two (of the 5 all-time) FCS victories versus a ranked P5 opponent. But it would be our 2nd FCS game of the year, and it wouldn't count in our win total if we happened to beat them. I don't think we're looking to add games, though, as the two added bye weeks gives scheduling flexibility. I wonder if we're healthy and playing if we don't move a late season game up into one of the slots from Northwestern or MSU.
oliveandblue
Surge

I think we'll break .500 this season. The two games that were risky in nonconference play have been dropped. We get an FCS tuneup and a home game with Army that is near the time we play Navy.

Likely a 6-4/7-3 type of season as long as the QB position isn't a disaster.
nawlinspete
Riptide

We need to aggressively pursue adding two BIG12 games to our schedule . AUDITION FOR ADMISSION .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Big 12 goes with 9 conference games and one non-con.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

A preview of the 2020 season, with a history lesson
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/295 ... s-pandemic
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:06 am Big 12 goes with 9 conference games and one non-con.
Pee Wee Herman, of the university of texas @ austin, writes a thank you note to the sec for helping save his job
nawlinspete
Riptide

Would love to hand Les Miles and Kansas a loss if their game against S I U falls through .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 am A preview of the 2020 season, with a history lesson
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/295 ... s-pandemic
Good read. Thanks for the link.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:06 am Big 12 goes with 9 conference games and one non-con.
We need to grab a couple of those pronto..