Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

R320- Glad your moms facility is doing so well. However we have had a large amount of deaths from nursing homes here and they are now coming back after calming down for a bit.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

R320, I will echo others sentiments and am happy for you and your mother and family. You've hit the lottery with her nursing home. That being said, to my knowledge LA didn't make the dumb decision that NY, NJ and CT did in sending early C19 patients to nursing homes in order to avoid overcrowding at the hospitals. It has lead to a huge increase in the death rate, and CT, for example, despite having few deaths for well over a month now is still at a death rate of over 8% of confirmed cases. We really feel our state has turned the corner and is 3-4 months ahead of most of the country. That can change on a dime, as we've seen.

Yes the death rate does seem to be going down. Who knows if that will be the same when the weather gets colder? We all thought the virus would be dormant in the hot weather when this started back in February and March. How wrong we were! This is far from over, but it is time to try to continue to take steps to get towards what will become our new normal. Social distancing, mask wearing, and avoiding large gatherings will continue to be part of the strategy. Those that don't take these steps are helping the virus.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not everyone thought it would be dormant in the summer. There were warnings from the beginning that that might not be the case with this particular virus.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Remeber someone here screaming and yelling that you didn't need to worry about pro athletes getting the virus because they had too much money at stake. Well the Marlins game tonight is canceled because 12 players got the virus.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 am R320, I will echo others sentiments and am happy for you and your mother and family. You've hit the lottery with her nursing home. That being said, to my knowledge LA didn't make the dumb decision that NY, NJ and CT did in sending early C19 patients to nursing homes in order to avoid overcrowding at the hospitals. It has lead to a huge increase in the death rate, and CT, for example, despite having few deaths for well over a month now is still at a death rate of over 8% of confirmed cases. We really feel our state has turned the corner and is 3-4 months ahead of most of the country. That can change on a dime, as we've seen.

Yes the death rate does seem to be going down. Who knows if that will be the same when the weather gets colder? We all thought the virus would be dormant in the hot weather when this started back in February and March. How wrong we were! This is far from over, but it is time to try to continue to take steps to get towards what will become our new normal. Social distancing, mask wearing, and avoiding large gatherings will continue to be part of the strategy. Those that don't take these steps are helping the virus.
Many did think, or hope, that the warm weather would dampen the spread of C-19--which obviously was wrong. No doubt packing the bars and beaches without masks have hurt, but the "southern spread" has probably also been advanced by people staying inside during the oppressively hot weather. As a former Houstonian, I remember it was hard to find anybody on the street in July and August. It will be interesting to see if the spread flips back to the northern states when the weather gets cold again.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Unfortunately it’s something we’re going to have to live with until a vaccine is available. Even North Korea now getting outbreaks even with their extreme lockdowns. I just read where Argentina is exploding and they been making masks mandatory from the beginning. Just do the best you can under the circumstances.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am Unfortunately it’s something we’re going to have to live with until a vaccine is available. Even North Korea now getting outbreaks even with their extreme lockdowns. I just read where Argentina is exploding and they been making masks mandatory from the beginning. Just do the best you can under the circumstances.
Of course you know the Democrats will delay the vaccine as long as possible for safety reasons. They want to protect us. Lol. The Republicans are going to kill you with that vaccine.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am Unfortunately it’s something we’re going to have to live with until a vaccine is available. Even North Korea now getting outbreaks even with their extreme lockdowns. I just read where Argentina is exploding and they been making masks mandatory from the beginning. Just do the best you can under the circumstances.
Of course you know the Democrats will delay the vaccine as long as possible for safety reasons. They want to protect us. Lol. The Republicans are going to kill you with that vaccine.
Once again you're turning a benign post into a political tantrum.
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm
I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm
I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.
Is this sarcasm ?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.
The videos were taken down because they were blatantly wrong and misleading.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-t ... 2020-07-28
The conservative media outlet Breitbart first published the contested clip, which features men and women dressed in white lab coats and referring to themselves as “America’s Frontline Doctors” staging a press conference outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. The individuals make questionable coronavirus claims that have been proven false, such as calling hydroxychloroquine (a drug used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis for decades) “a cure for COVID” — despite a growing body of scientific evidence that has not shown this to be an effective treatment against the virus.

What’s more, one of the self-identified doctors whose name is given as Stella Immanuel of Houston claims in the video that “you don’t need masks,” despite evidence showing that face coverings help slow the spread of the coronavirus. (She has also said that alien DNA is being used in medical treatments, and gynecological problems such as cysts are caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches, the Daily Beast reported.)
Quite the credible source...not!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:50 pm
Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm I guess you missed the news today on Hydroxychloroquine success. Twitter and Facebook covered for the Democrats and deleted a press conference video given in front of the Supreme Court on the success of the treatment. Apparently it’s being used successfully to save lives but you can’t mention that in the media since Trump may gain some political points.

The conservative media outlet Breitbart first published the contested clip, which features men and women dressed in white lab coats and referring to themselves as “America’s Frontline Doctors” staging a press conference outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. The individuals make questionable coronavirus claims that have been proven false, such as calling hydroxychloroquine (a drug used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis for decades) “a cure for COVID” — despite a growing body of scientific evidence that has not shown this to be an effective treatment against the virus.

What’s more, one of the self-identified doctors whose name is given as Stella Immanuel of Houston claims in the video that “you don’t need masks,” despite evidence showing that face coverings help slow the spread of the coronavirus. (She has also said that alien DNA is being used in medical treatments, and gynecological problems such as cysts are caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches, the Daily Beast reported.)
Gawd, I cannot believe this was not covered by that outstanding source of news, The Free Bacon
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm

Let me guess your reaction Show Me: New England Journal of Medicine is a bunch of liberal democrats.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:32 pm

Gawd, I cannot believe this was not covered by that outstanding source of news, The Free Bacon
I agree, I wanted to hear more from the reptilian-alien dna- lady.. i haven't laughed so hard in a long time.
Jaxwave
Swell

I know one thing, if I get the virus and get seriously ill, I am willing to use the drug.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:49 pm I know one thing, if I get the virus and get seriously ill, I am willing to use the drug.
The FDA has removed approval for use even in dire cases as it has shown no clinical success and has some nasty side affects.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

People that took hydroxychloroquine combo and recovered swear by it. I had a friend of mine who was a day away from going on a ventilator he got it and he recovered almost immediately meanwhile his wife was treated at another hospital did not get the drug and she took almost 10 more days to recover and she had it before he did. She spent 19 days in the hospital and he spent 10.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

It’s not being used in the hospital. IV steroids are more effective and Remdesivir is recommended if available. No one is using it unless under the guise of a clinical trial.
greenie78
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:29 pm People that took hydroxychloroquine combo and recovered swear by it. I had a friend of mine who was a day away from going on a ventilator he got it and he recovered almost immediately meanwhile his wife was treated at another hospital did not get the drug and she took almost 10 more days to recover and she had it before he did. She spent 19 days in the hospital and he spent 10.
Nothing but anecdotal evidence. Much better options being used. Not even being used at our hospital.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:40 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:29 pm People that took hydroxychloroquine combo and recovered swear by it. I had a friend of mine who was a day away from going on a ventilator he got it and he recovered almost immediately meanwhile his wife was treated at another hospital did not get the drug and she took almost 10 more days to recover and she had it before he did. She spent 19 days in the hospital and he spent 10.
Nothing but anecdotal evidence. Much better options being used. Not even being used at our hospital.
Doesn’t matter to those that recovered on it because at the time it was their only option and was successful.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We will never know if tps's friend recovered because of the hydroxychloroquine or if it was coincidental. We do know that clinical trials have not shown positive results.

If you want to believe that it's a conspiracy, have at it. The woman "doctor" on that video Show Me referred to was quite an "expert." She might be revolutionizing treatment for various maladies using alien DNA.
Show Me
Tsunami

There were 12 doctors out there and no surprise that you’re going to single out the one black female doctor.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:08 pm We will never know if tps's friend recovered because of the hydroxychloroquine or if it was coincidental. We do know that clinical trials have not shown positive results.

If you want to believe that it's a conspiracy, have at it. The woman "doctor" on that video Show Me referred to was quite an "expert." She might be revolutionizing treatment for various maladies using alien DNA.
His words to me “I felt it going through my body immediately”. This guy hates Trump. His family are well known Democrats in our State government.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wow, tps, that's pretty powerful.

Show me what's your point? I had no idea she was the only black, I read it and the article didn't identify her by race, only by what she has said. You might know it was a farce by the fact that they filmed in front of the Supreme Court which has nothing to do with the COVID19.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:27 pm

There were 12 doctors out there and no surprise that you’re going to single out the one black female doctor.
I am kind of saddened for the fact that you probably went to TU and are so damn bad at verifying claims. Your ignorance shines poorly upon all of us alumni. Let's begin:

1. Dr. Stella Immanuel: Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by “reptilians” and other aliens.

2. Dr. James Todaro: He’s promoting bitcoin. Well, he’s promoting bitcoin and hydroxychloroquine, it would seem.

Todaro is largely credited with creating President Trump’s obsession with hydroxychloroquine in the first place, co-writing a paper on Google Docs with his friend and lawyer Gregory Rigano about the use of chloroquine in China on March 13. The paper went viral on right-wing Twitter and eventually made its way to Fox News, as often happens.

3. Jenny Beth Martin: Martin is the co-founder of an anti-tax group called the Tea Party Patriots Foundation and an alternate delegate to the Republican National Committee convention. Martin, among other things, dislikes Dr. Anthony Fauci’s skepticism of hydroxychloroquine and insists that he could change his opinion if he only met with this group of right-wing health workers. While many of the videos from yesterday have been deleted from YouTube and Facebook for spreading harmful misinformation, the Tea Party Patriots YouTube account is still active and is flooded with videos of doctors insisting that the country shouldn’t be locked down in any way.

4. Dr. Simone Gold: s a doctor and lawyer in Los Angeles who publicly takes credit as the founder of “America’s Frontline Doctors,” a group whose website was set up 12 days ago, and amusingly appears to be down right now. Gold has been a regular on the right-wing media circuit during the pandemic, appearing on Fox News on May 21, arguing that patients are being harmed by the shutdowns taking place across the country.

5. Dr. Erickson: Back in April, Erickson promoted the idea of “herd immunity” on local TV news in San Diego, pointing to Sweden as a model. Erickson pointed to Kern County, California at the time, saying that the ICUs in the area had “very few patients.” Today, Kern County has 17,394 confirmed cases and 123 deaths. Cases in the county have increased by 161% in the past two weeks. During another Fox News appearance in May, things took a weird turn when Erickson started spouting conspiracies involving George Soros trying to censor his message on herd immunity, according to the Washington Examiner.

“Look at what George Soros said about Facebook back in February,” Erickson told Fox News. “He said Mark Zuckerberg should no longer have control of Facebook. Well, YouTube, you’re going to be next. Soros will say that you should no longer have control, and government should have control of Facebook, according to George Soros.”

6. Dr. Robert “Bob” C. Hamilton: appears to have the most normal looking online presence of all the people that spoke on Monday. That is, if you don’t count his somewhat peculiar baby-hushing technique.

I'll stop right here.