Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:33 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:54 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 pm tps: I said this the first time you posted that statistic. The life expectancy is 78 in the US. But if you reach 70, your life expectancy is 85.3. If you reach 80, your life expectancy is 89.1. The 78 number includes all that die young. So, statistically speaking, if you reach 70, you shouldn't expect to die at 78, and those killed by the virus were probably robbed of 7 or 8 years (10%) of their lives.
That’s called a moving avg.
completely different statistic.
Life expectancy is 78 the day your born.
Agreed.

But those that were killed at 78 weren't living on borrowed time. I guess you can look at it either way.
You can’t say that because it’s statistically unproven.
Statistically speaking you are on borrowed time is you live past 78 today. Some of those over 78 may have already had underlying conditions as pointed out in the Covid stats. Every age is susceptible to getting the virus. My point is if your 78 or older you’re probably going to die with or without it “statistically” speaking.
So dying from the virus is just another cause of death that still results in a statical fact that the avg US citizen today will die around 78 years of age.
Grandma and grandpa are dying at the same average age (very reasonable) but at a higher rate because if the virus. Something I suppose we must accept to move the economy.

Btw CNN stinks almost as bad as foxnews, it’s close. Avoid both.
Actually Grandma and Grandpa that live in a nursing home are dying at a higher rate because of this specific virus.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:21 am
McWave wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:20 pm Statistically speaking, if you are 78 your life expectancy isn't zero.
I didn’t say that.
You can of course live past that. But you’d be considered “on borrowed time” based on today’s actuarial life table. Statistically speaking the probability of a person at the age of 78 is more likely to die before their next birthday.
Then why is the life expectancy of someone that reached 70 years old 85.3?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 am
McWave wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:20 pm Statistically speaking, if you are 78 your life expectancy isn't zero.
I didn’t say that.
You can of course live past that. But you’d be considered “on borrowed time” based on today’s actuarial life table. Statistically speaking the probability of a person at the age of 78 is more likely to die before their next birthday.
Because not all people live to 70. Some die before. That’s a moving avg you keep using.
When I say “more likely” I’m talking probability. Statistically their probability of dying increases with age.
Once again the US life expectancy today is 78. The avg age of people dying from Covid in the US today is also 78.
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:10 am
I didn’t say that.
Because not all people live to 70. Some die before. That’s a moving avg you keep using.
When I say “more likely” I’m talking probability. Statistically their probability of dying increases with age.
Once again the US life expectancy today is 78. The avg age of people dying from Covid in the US today is also 78.
Ok. So, what is the point of the comparison?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I didn’t say that.
Because they have dodged the risks that take people out earlier in life, which are built into the average life span of 78. When I was 65, I was given an actuarial life of 87.6 years--lucky me. :) :)
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:57 am
I didn’t say that.
Because they have dodged the risks that take people out earlier in life, which are built into the average life span of 78. When I was 65, I was given an actuarial life of 87.6 years--lucky me. :) :)
some ChiTown stats...those living in "Streeter" in north ChiTown have an average life of 90 yrs...10 miles south, in Englewood, average life span is 60 years, all because of stray bullets
https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

McWave wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:20 am
I didn’t say that.
The point being in reality the virus turns out to be just another form of death when compared to life expectancy. The media just chooses to report on this particular form of death 24/7 while ignoring other forms of death. I’ve been to 3 funerals in the last month and none were from Covid.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:53 pm
I didn’t say that.
The point being in reality the virus turns out to be just another form of death when compared to life expectancy. The media just chooses to report on this particular form of death 24/7 while ignoring other forms of death. I’ve been to 3 funerals in the last month and none were from Covid.
The death stat that always blows me away is 1,000 deaths/day--the number of people that die every day in the US from sudden cardiac arrest (electrical heart malfunction)--approx. 45,000/day on a global basis--and you never hear that cause of death discussed, or anything being done to address it. We'll turn society upside down for a variety of reasons that have far less impact on our survival.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:25 pm
I didn’t say that.
The death stat that always blows me away is 1,000 deaths/day--the number of people that die every day in the US from sudden cardiac arrest (electrical heart malfunction)--approx. 45,000/day on a global basis--and you never hear that cause of death discussed, or anything being done to address it. We'll turn society upside down for a variety of reasons that have far less impact on our survival.
Are you really reading what you type on this forum? For being such a great country(which we are), when did 1k deaths per day become acceptable? When did 141k+ deaths become acceptable? When did US lagging behind every country in the world but Brazil become acceptable in handling a global crisis? Have you tried traveling outside the country with our almighty US Passport lately?(hint, it's very hard) What you and a few others on here have been doing is trying to normalize carona deaths and infections, which is exactly Trump's tactic of not owning up to this crapshoot. You act like this pandemic is over, but it's not and if you don't believe me, the orange man even said more pain is coming from the pandemic in the coming weeks, more deaths, and more infections. But hey, it's ok let's just pretend everything normal and hospitals are full because people just have the "flu" or are scheduling elective surgeries (which is false, and BR's largest hospital is 100% full).
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:00 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:25 pm
I didn’t say that.
Are you really reading what you type on this forum? For being such a great country(which we are), when did 1k deaths per day become acceptable? When did 141k+ deaths become acceptable? When did US lagging behind every country in the world but Brazil become acceptable in handling a global crisis? Have you tried traveling outside the country with our almighty US Passport lately?(hint, it's very hard) What you and a few others on here have been doing is trying to normalize carona deaths and infections, which is exactly Trump's tactic of not owning up to this crapshoot. You act like this pandemic is over, but it's not and if you don't believe me, the orange man even said more pain is coming from the pandemic in the coming weeks, more deaths, and more infections. But hey, it's ok let's just pretend everything normal and hospitals are full because people just have the "flu" or are scheduling elective surgeries (which is false, and BR's largest hospital is 100% full).
The question is are you reading what I type on this forum? I didn't say anything about C-19 or how serious it is, or not. My point is that we humans often get easily obsessed and distracted on issues that pale in comparison to many things that happen everyday in this world. I don't like 140,000 US deaths from C-19, but I also don't like many other causes of much larger causes of death every year. Nobody on this forum is normalizing C-19 deaths or cases, the virus will normalize it until we get a vaccine. Yes cases and deaths will continue to accumulate until the pandemic is over, fortunately the fatality case rate continues to stay low--but heaven forbid any data that might take away from your's and the media's panicky state of mind. I've had two family members come down with C-19 in the last five days--nobody in the family is panicking or going into hysterics like you are. BR hospitalization rates hardly dictate what the rest of the country should or shouldn't be doing.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Here's Dr. Fauci throwing out the first pitch for the Nationals. As you can see, he goes out of his way to make certain that people don't catch anything.

phpBB [video]
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:14 pm Here's Dr. Fauci throwing out the first pitch for the Nationals. As you can see, he goes out of his way to make certain that people don't catch anything.

phpBB [video]
Actually he’s about as accurate with that pitch as he was with his projections.

Great example he is: Took his mask off once he left the mound and went into the stands sitting less than 6 inches from two other people also. Big phony.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/24/anthony-f ... hout-mask/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mask-mischief-11595625179
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:36 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:14 pm Here's Dr. Fauci throwing out the first pitch for the Nationals. As you can see, he goes out of his way to make certain that people don't catch anything.

phpBB [video]
Actually he’s about as accurate with that pitch as he was with his projections.

Great example he is: Took his mask off once he left the mound and went into the stands sitting less than 6 inches from two other people also. Big phony.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/24/anthony-f ... hout-mask/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mask-mischief-11595625179
“I had my mask around my chin. I had taken it down. I was totally dehydrated and I was drinking water trying to rehydrate myself,” he explained. “And, by the way, I was negative COVID literally the day before.”
“So, I guess people want to make it a big event. I wear a mask all the time when I’m outside. To pull it down to take some sips of water and put it back up again -- I guess if people want to make something about that they can,” he said. “But to me, I think that’s just mischievous, John.”

What a fake. Right. Media just dying to see a guy who has supported masks drop his mask to drink water during a 3 hour game.

We are so screwed with this attitude. So he dropped his mask to drink water, that means what? Such a cheap shot. This is so indicative of the divide.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

JBL dunking on people in here today. I think we all know who by now.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The amazing thing about Faucci throwing out that first pitch wasn't how bad his toss was, or how he took his mask off to drink some water. It was that he was allowed to do it.
Jaxwave
Swell

I am 68 years old and my life expectancy is less than 69 if this thread gets any more boring.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:28 pm The amazing thing about Faucci throwing out that first pitch wasn't how bad his toss was, or how he took his mask off to drink some water. It was that he was allowed to do it.

Throw out the first pitch, or drink the water ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:51 pm I am 68 years old and my life expectancy is less than 69 if this thread gets any more boring.
My father just had his 69th bday and is a snowbird presently in New Hampshire. Part of my concern.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:57 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:28 pm The amazing thing about Faucci throwing out that first pitch wasn't how bad his toss was, or how he took his mask off to drink some water. It was that he was allowed to do it.

Throw out the first pitch, or drink the water ?
Throw first pitch.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:23 am
Actually Grandma and Grandpa that live in a nursing home are dying at a higher rate because of this specific virus.
Only if they're in a nursing home in NY or NJ or someplace like that. My mom is in an assisted living facility here in Metairie. They locked down on March 12th. To date, they have not had A SINGLE CASE of Covid, either in residents OR staff.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:21 am
Only if they're in a nursing home in NY or NJ or someplace like that. My mom is in an assisted living facility here in Metairie. They locked down on March 12th. To date, they have not had A SINGLE CASE of Covid, either in residents OR staff.
My Mom is in asssited center in Gonzales, they have been locked down since March also..I am hopeful that will change, so I can visit on her 93rd birthday, August 28th
greenie78
Riptide

The nursing homes in Lake Charles are all effected with the COVID. The assisted livings here haven’t. Part of the reason is nursing home patients tend to go to the hospitals more than assisted living patients and easier to contract the virus. Plus nursing homes require more staffs who can easily bring the virus.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Robert, that's not true as Louisiana has made nursing home carona reporting much more obfuscated and delayed. You have to dig through the LDHH reports and still you'll find "data pending" on columns for different nursing homes and keep in mind that they make reporting in increments of 7 days instead of daily like they did in March. Carona is still spreading in nursing homes across the state including Orleans Parish, albeit not as fast as in March, but it's still happening.

http://ldh.la.gov/assets/oph/Coronaviru ... _72220.pdf
Dave breslin
Swell

Welcome Ty to the Wave!!!
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:51 pm
Robert, that's not true as Louisiana has made nursing home carona reporting much more obfuscated and delayed. You have to dig through the LDHH reports and still you'll find "data pending" on columns for different nursing homes and keep in mind that they make reporting in increments of 7 days instead of daily like they did in March. Carona is still spreading in nursing homes across the state including Orleans Parish, albeit not as fast as in March, but it's still happening.

http://ldh.la.gov/assets/oph/Coronaviru ... _72220.pdf
GPS, I was referring to my mom's specific assisted living facility. Not a single case of resident or worker. And the residents have two choices if they need a doctor. They either do a tele-visit, or if they actually have to go to the doctor, they're quarantined for two weeks upon return. But the result has been, not a single case.

I didn't mean to imply there were no cases in nursing homes, but since the entire death total in LA is around 3600, it means one of two things: either our nursing home deaths are relatively low (NY is well over 7000), or we have a fairly low number among the general population. Either way, we're never going to see the death rates that NY and NJ did because of those policies.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson