Troy Dannen Chat at 5 PM CST

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Troy will hold an online "town meeting" at 5 PM CST this afternoon. I got an invite through email. You need to register, so if you don't have the invite go to the tulanegreenwave.com site, or call the Athletics Department.

I'm interested to see what plans or proposals have been made for starting the season, keeping players, coaches and all others safe, and what the plan is if there's a second wave that interrupts the season. Also, what happens if a particular position (ie Quarterback) because of their position meetings becomes 100% infected?

Things definitely look brighter, but we're far from through this. Again, I hope and pray I've been wrong and that we get a complete season.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I want someone to ask have we offered 1 offs in the dome or a BR & Dome split. If we have he should really fight a pr battle against them
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:14 pm I want someone to ask have we offered 1 offs in the dome or a BR & Dome split. If we have he should really fight a pr battle against them
He mentioned that we'd be willing to do a 1-1 with the Dome, but also said that OU, MSU, and others are willing to play at Yulman and he's reluctant to tell the donors that built that stadium that it's insufficient. This a paraphrasing, so don't think it's a direct quote.

I just really like Troy Dannen, and think he is doing a good job in a tough situation. Not just now, but since he's got here. His job is between a rock and a hard place. And as much as I want Football to take the next step, at least the most important sport on campus has been respectable.

Maybe I'm drinking the cool aid, but I think we're a whole lot better off than we were a few years ago when TD took over from RD.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:18 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:14 pm I want someone to ask have we offered 1 offs in the dome or a BR & Dome split. If we have he should really fight a pr battle against them
He mentioned that we'd be willing to do a 1-1 with the Dome, but also said that OU, MSU, and others are willing to play at Yulman and he's reluctant to tell the donors that built that stadium that it's insufficient. This a paraphrasing, so don't think it's a direct quote.

I just really like Troy Dannen, and think he is doing a good job in a tough situation. Not just now, but since he's got here. His job is between a rock and a hard place. And as much as I want Football to take the next step, at least the most important sport on campus has been respectable.

Maybe I'm drinking the cool aid, but I think we're a whole lot better off than we were a few years ago when TD took over from RD.
Thanks for the quick update and response. Our peers in the AAC no longer see us as just along for the ride and also rans. They know we are a tough program and a tough win. We are in a much better place today than we were 4 years ago.

I want to say "tell the donors we need a 10k expansion !" but in reality i know we aren't there yet. We need to start having a few true sell outs per year. We need to win the conference. With more winning and better competition coming to Yulman we can get there.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good recap from elsewhere:

Here are some highlights:
Football players come to campus next Monday-Wednesday.
Hoops (men and women, plus volleyball) two weeks after that.
Football games are expected to be played, all 12.
Testing for virus and antibody testing will be administered.
Players are likely to be tested twice per week, most likely on Thursday and Monday during football season. Any Covid19 positives will be isolated and of course won't play or practice for a specified length of time.
Attendance: Tulane has done extensive social distancing analysis of stadium assuming some fans will be allowed in person at games.
If fans can come, one scenario (still evolving based on virus conditions at the time and city/state rules) calls for 5,400 seats to be filled with fans at games.
There are 6,000 season tickets (4,440 of which are typically used for any given home game).
Dannen said first priority in attendance would be family of players, followed by students and then presumably season ticket holders.
This will become clearer as season gets closer.
Likely no on-campus tailgating, said he is nearly 100 percent sure that will be standard.
Financial info: No pay cuts or layoffs among staff; no sports to be cut.
New turf design will be installed and will be in place for first football game vs. Southeastern.
Next priority will be expansion of sports academic center.
By Dec. 1 expanded TV production facilities required of Tulane and all AAC schools should be completed and operational so Tulane can broadcast sporting events not picked up by ESPN networks.
Tulane is close to finalizing its rules for players to market their name, image and likeness and Tulane wants to be a national leader in devising good protocols for that on top of whatever legislators, NCAA, etc., come up with.
Social unrest and social justice: Staff has been meeting with players and there will be some player-driven initiatives on that front. Announcements pending.
All seniors who want to return based on NCAA granting spring sport athletes a make-up year will be allowed to return and $500,000 has been raised or allocated to provide same level of scholarship aid that those players got in the past year.
Tulane vs LSU in footbally. Dannen says if any talks progress with Tigers he would only agree to home-and-home series or a game in Superdome.
said he has also had some chats with other footbally "blue bloods" about a possible Superdome game.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I would love to see Yulman expanded..but it ain't gonna happen...the NIMBYS will fight it and Tulane, thinking they are Dr Phil, will actually care about thier feelings....with the height variation in place, because of the existing buildings already on campus, (see Reilly center) the west side needs to be expanded vertically into Football offices...whatever seats can be added to the north end, needs to happen, this will at least give the illusion of a D-1 facility
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Good cut/paste of that recap, winwave. Much more detailed than my post. Randymc actually credits you (so we know he reads this board!) too!
Re: "Plug In" with Troy Dannen
Post by randymc » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:58 pm

btw, thanks to winwave for passing along/publishing a copy of my recap in full on the "go tulane net" board.
I'm curious if anyone knows where the 5400 fans in the stands number comes from? If it's 25% of the actual seats (rather than "capacity") that would imply 21,600 seats.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:11 pm Good cut/paste of that recap, winwave. Much more detailed than my post. Randymc actually credits you (so we know he reads this board!) too!
Re: "Plug In" with Troy Dannen
Post by randymc » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:58 pm

btw, thanks to winwave for passing along/publishing a copy of my recap in full on the "go tulane net" board.
I'm curious if anyone knows where the 5400 fans in the stands number comes from? If it's 25% of the actual seats (rather than "capacity") that would imply 21,600 seats.
Considering they haven’t had any real football discussion over there in months it doesn’t surprise me they’d look over here.

That 5,400 number is interesting. We’ll finally have plenty of sell outs !
Wave755
Tsunami

Here is a link to the interview:

TD talks about LSWho and re-establishing the rivalry at the 43 minute mark. 8-)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:13 pm Here is a link to the interview:

TD talks about LSWho and re-establishing the rivalry at the 43 minute mark. 8-)
Thanks for posting. I like the answer. Just the right amount of defiance. . . Actively says the relationship with the last Alleva was bad. Doesn’t say they offered home and dome, but let’s be honest admitting it publicly is a poor move in regards to negotiations with other schools and setting a precedent.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I wonder if we will be able to use the Saints facility this season. Under the current circumstances you'd have to doubt it. Hopefully we can as we can't afford to miss any practices.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

will now be on the NCAA "oversight panel/comittee"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
dpm wave
Swell

Why in tarnation would you want to use that term of all the possible words available to you? Very Confederate of you.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

What exactly does the oversight committee oversee?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
ajcalhoun
Swell

dpm wave wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:11 pm Why in tarnation would you want to use that term of all the possible words available to you? Very Confederate of you.
I honestly did not make that connection until you mentioned it. Now that you have, it is obvious, but it also shows how careful one has to be these days.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:11 pm Why in tarnation would you want to use that term of all the possible words available to you? Very Confederate of you.
I could have used "oversighter" but that would have meant he would over look things, unlike an overseer who sees everything thats "oversighted"...I can hear it now...."that was just an 'oversight' on our part"....