Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Show Me
Tsunami

Another China Flu
China unleashing a new strain of swine flu virus that could become the next pandemic scientists warn. No cure or vaccine available.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/30/new-str ... warns.html

Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 pm
JerseyWave wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:25 pm There’s a theory being spread on sports talk radio that some Southeastern Conference schools plus Clemson are purposefully exposing their football players to the virus now so that they have immunity to it and won’t get sick during the season. Coincidentally, Clemson, Alabama, LSU have lots of guys with positive tests.
That would be really foolish in light of the fact that the experts say there's a chance the immunity won't be indefinite. It would also be really reckless and would cost people their jobs if it were ever to come out.
Immunity will most likely last for years. However should the flu mutate the immunity from this strain will not protect.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 am
JerseyWave wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:25 pm There’s a theory being spread on sports talk radio that some Southeastern Conference schools plus Clemson are purposefully exposing their football players to the virus now so that they have immunity to it and won’t get sick during the season. Coincidentally, Clemson, Alabama, LSU have lots of guys with positive tests.
That would be really foolish in light of the fact that the experts say there's a chance the immunity won't be indefinite. It would also be really reckless and would cost people their jobs if it were ever to come out.
Immunity will most likely last for years. However should the flu mutate the immunity from this strain will not protect.
Not only has it mutated, but it's victims are increasingly younger. If it were ever to come out that a football program intentionally exposed their players, and a single player (likely with an undiagnosed existing condition) died, I don't care if you're Nick Saban, you'd never coach again.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 am
Not only has it mutated, but it's victims are increasingly younger. If it were ever to come out that a football program intentionally exposed their players, and a single player (likely with an undiagnosed existing condition) died, I don't care if you're Nick Saban, you'd never coach again.
Actually I’m sure the players and parents are consulted if that were to be proposed. In the old days that’s how it was done. Parents deliberately infected all their kids at once to get it behind them. This virus is not going to kill any 18-21 year old fit athlete. If they have an undiagnosed condition then that’s the risk they take.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

College kids are going to be college kids. Imagine once you get more students in Fall, this is going to get a lot worse. I don't know if I can fully blame these college kids because I'm sure I was just as selfish in undergrad. I'm sure the school admins have their butt clenched tightly praying none of these kids have a severe case or kill some of their older faculty.

https://abc3340.com/news/local/universi ... ed-parties
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 am
Actually I’m sure the players and parents are consulted if that were to be proposed. In the old days that’s how it was done. Parents deliberately infected all their kids at once to get it behind them. This virus is not going to kill any 18-21 year old fit athlete. If they have an undiagnosed condition then that’s the risk they take.
You can just keep telling yourself that it will never happen, so it won't.

I don't know what kind of parent would ever agree to that. If it were true, and one parent that didn't agree would expose the scandal. Coaches would be fired regardless of whether or not a player died. I think it's nothing but an ugly rumor to begin with.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 am
DfromCT wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 am
This statement is absurd on several levels. Read it closely and come to your own POV.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Too much gloom and doom on this topic. Finally something to look forward to! 24 out of 24 recipients had 1.5 times the immunity of a recovered subject after receiving the vaccine no side effects. Still early but very encouraging.

Pfizer stock jumps after it reports positive data in early-stage coronavirus vaccine trial.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/pfizer- ... trial.html

Pfizer has extremely conservative management and for them to release this to the public this early tells me they have something. The findings haven’t yet been published in a journal.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
gbgreenie
Surge

Not unusual, will still take 6-12 months to go thru trials to make sure it is safe long term. Hopefully it will past the test but no impact til 2021!!!
Jaxwave
Swell

I thought I read where Sickle cell trait is one of the health issues that can result in dangerous outcomes for people who get COVID. With a vast majority of the players being African American and knowing the sickle cell trait is more commonly found in minorities, wouldn’t it be very dangerous to expose those athletes to COVID? Any Drs in the house?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NY, NJ and CT have added 8 more states to the mandatory quarantine list if you return from one of them.
The list includes: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah. Lamont announced the expansion of the list via his Twitter account Tuesday morning.

States are added to the list based on two criteria — a new daily positive test total higher than 10 per 100,000 residents or a 10 percent or higher positive test rate over a 7-day rolling average.

“Right now in the last few days, we’ve been less than 1 percent, so there’s a real incentive not to have highly infectious people coming into our state,” Lamont said. “And by the way, the shoe was on the other foot just about 90 days ago.”

In Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Texas, Nevada, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, and Utah, the positive infection rate is over 10 percent for a 7-day moving average, according to data from Johns Hopkins coronavirus resource center. In the remaining seven states — Arkansas, California, Iowa, Idaho, Louisiana, North Carolina, and Tennessee — the rolling average is on the rise and the daily positive rate is higher than 10 per 100,000.

If people have recently been tested for the virus, they could show negative test results to shorten their mandatory quarantine.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I don't know what to think about that.

wave97
Swell

Our "strength" as a nation is in it's ability to consume. What we consume we do not produce.. What we produce is fear mongering & division.
George Orwell was only off by 36 years
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

ROLL CARONA, I MEAN TIDE.

gbgreenie
Surge

To all that think athletes are not vulnerable to Covid 19. Remember Pistol Pete Maravich, all American, All NBA, Superstar. Well Pete was born with a defect in his heart lucky it did not effect his play but died as a young man in a pick up game after he retired. Imagine if an athlete like Pete today contacted the covid 19 virus. Would it kill him because of his defective heart. Pete had a whole career did not know about this defect. Other players later in their careers found out similar things were physically wrong with them. It God forbid an athlete today with such a defect dies some of you might wake up and realyze this virus can kill anyone as it attacks all your organs lungs, heart, kidneys. Some still have effects months after contacting the virus not knowing if they will ever get back to normal. Permanent lung and heart damage can occur. People focus on recoveries which is stupid. You can survive the virus and have permanent complications, you could have been in ICU for weeks, how many of these that survived ICU were young adults. That needs to be known, if young adults knew they might survive but have to spend weeks in the hospital or ICU would not say well let me ketch it now and be over with It. Stupid Logic!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:12 am To all that think athletes are not vulnerable to Covid 19. Remember Pistol Pete Maravich, all American, All NBA, Superstar. Well Pete was born with a defect in his heart lucky it did not effect his play but died as a young man in a pick up game after he retired. Imagine if an athlete like Pete today contacted the covid 19 virus. Would it kill him because of his defective heart. Pete had a whole career did not know about this defect. Other players later in their careers found out similar things were physically wrong with them. It God forbid an athlete today with such a defect dies some of you might wake up and realyze this virus can kill anyone as it attacks all your organs lungs, heart, kidneys. Some still have effects months after contacting the virus not knowing if they will ever get back to normal. Permanent lung and heart damage can occur. People focus on recoveries which is stupid. You can survive the virus and have permanent complications, you could have been in ICU for weeks, how many of these that survived ICU were young adults. That needs to be known, if young adults knew they might survive but have to spend weeks in the hospital or ICU would not say well let me ketch it now and be over with It. Stupid Logic!!!
Looking at the bright side.
Pete died at 40. That’s middle age. Yes he died playing in a church pick-up game. It’s a miracle he lived to 40 with his heart. People are different just because he had a heart condition doesn’t mean he’d died from the virus.
He came down with mononucleosis and survived that more than once. The fact that he was such a trained athlete allowed him to live to 40.

Here’s some facts we do know on who’s dying from this by age group.
74% are 55 and older and .0011% if you’re 24 and under.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

We can’t just ignore the effects of the virus. Long term no one knows. For instance, the Jazz player says he still has trouble with his sense of smell three months after Testing negative.

I see no reason why these pro athletes can’t get to playing as they are paid and the leagues are doing everything to protect them. If I was a parent of a college athlete I would be very concerned that my child is being put at risk so the university can make their money. It just does not seem like the most equitable trade off.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:45 am We can’t just ignore the effects of the virus. Long term no one knows. For instance, the Jazz player says he still has trouble with his sense of smell three months after Testing negative.

I see no reason why these pro athletes can’t get to playing as they are paid and the leagues are doing everything to protect them. If I was a parent of a college athlete I would be very concerned that my child is being put at risk so the university can make their money. It just does not seem like the most equitable trade off.
I agree on some of that but some may have long term issues but many may not. I think if anyone is not comfortable with the risk then they should feel no pressure to participate in sports. If my kid wanted to play FB I’d let him. If he didn’t then I’d support that choice as well. Same with a daughter in other sports. Let the pros decide for themselves.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

A handful of MLB and NBA players are sitting out. Most want their paychecks more than they fear the virus.
gbgreenie
Surge

TPS you missed the whole point, Coronavirus targets multiple organs, Lungs, Heart and Kidneys. If Maravich in his prime caught something like this virus it could have killed him. Not about who dies at what age from the virus. Many young may survive after long time in the hospitals or ICU's that has to be known just because someone does not die does not mean they do not have long term damage due to the virus. Months after getting the virus it lingers in their bodies. Loss of lung capacity, blood clots and weak hearts and more. An athlete that loses lung capacity is a damaged athlete. We need breakdown of age groups hospitalized and going into ICU's.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:23 pm TPS you missed the whole point, Coronavirus targets multiple organs, Lungs, Heart and Kidneys. If Maravich in his prime caught something like this virus it could have killed him. Not about who dies at what age from the virus. Many young may survive after long time in the hospitals or ICU's that has to be known just because someone does not die does not mean they do not have long term damage due to the virus. Months after getting the virus it lingers in their bodies. Loss of lung capacity, blood clots and weak hearts and more. An athlete that loses lung capacity is a damaged athlete. We need breakdown of age groups hospitalized and going into ICU's.
No way to be sure. Everyone is different. He could have been Asymptotic. Anything else is just speculation.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Maybe they would have given him hydroxychloroquine. Unless of course, he lived in a blue state where Dem governors banned doctors from prescribing it. They alone probably killed thousands because they couldn't stand to admit Trump was right.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/h ... index.html
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JerseyWave
Riptide

It’s starting to look like the next college football season will be in the spring of 2021. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is how it plays out.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I was sick last Sunday. I was feeling considerably better on Monday, but I went and got tested anyway. I had done so in May, and got the results in two days. I figured, based on that track record, I'd get the results Wednesday. It's Friday, and still no results. When I call Minute Clinic, (CVS) the first thing I heard on their automated phone system was "If you're calling about your Covid-19 test results please note that due to overwhelming demand, it's now taking 5 to 7 days to get your results. They will be posted to your CVS "My Chart" online and we will send you an email to notify you that they're there. Please don't stay on the line, as there's nothing else we can tell you."

I've isolated myself, and haven't seen my kids since last Saturday. If I don't get the results, I won't see them until at least Monday. Worse, their cousins and aunts and uncles won't go near them until I get my results.

And some suggested that an entire football team's worth of parents would knowingly expose their children to the virus. Sorry, but that might have flown in other times, but today I think it would be difficult to get half the parents to agree, and the other half would run to the media, killing the career of the HC that thought it was a good idea.
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:54 pm I was sick last Sunday. I was feeling considerably better on Monday, but I went and got tested anyway. I had done so in May, and got the results in two days. I figured, based on that track record, I'd get the results Wednesday. It's Friday, and still no results. When I call Minute Clinic, (CVS) the first thing I heard on their automated phone system was "If you're calling about your Covid-19 test results please note that due to overwhelming demand, it's now taking 5 to 7 days to get your results. They will be posted to your CVS "My Chart" online and we will send you an email to notify you that they're there. Please don't stay on the line, as there's nothing else we can tell you."

I've isolated myself, and haven't seen my kids since last Saturday. If I don't get the results, I won't see them until at least Monday. Worse, their cousins and aunts and uncles won't go near them until I get my results.

And some suggested that an entire football team's worth of parents would knowingly expose their children to the virus. Sorry, but that might have flown in other times, but today I think it would be difficult to get half the parents to agree, and the other half would run to the media, killing the career of the HC that thought it was a good idea.
Good luck, D. There's a lot of folks to consider (other than yourself) when you're deciding how much risk you can take. Some of the brave, heroic types on this board would view this matter differently if they were suddenly forced to isolate from their spouse, their children, their parents...

Looking at the number of cases, it seems that we're on a very steep national incline. A number of apologists here will be quick to point out that the mortality percentage is declining. I hope that trend continues but I fear it will increase proportionally as a function of the number of hospitalizations but will lag a couple weeks.

Since it seems that as a nation we've abandoned the stay-at-home strategy in order to keep the economy working, I don't understand why there are still so many aggressive 'never-maskers' in public. For the good of everyone, it is such an easy choice. Maybe folks fear it will make them look like the Lone Ranger. Or the Green Lantern.