Tulane’s Victory Bell and Confederate connection

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

And the Diversity Game keeps playing out.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
MicMan
Swell

Can always rely on the usual suspects here to show their ass. LOL
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:59 pm When the black community decides to acknowledge that an illegitimacy rate in mid-high 70% is the real cause of their poverty, crime rate, lack of education, etc., then I will take their "leaders" seriously. It's got nothing to do with statues, bells, flags, pull ropes, "racism" or any of that other crap. Don't demand help from others until you commit to getting your own house in order.
Yikes.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:34 am John Wayne Airport to be renamed due to actor’s “racist history”?
https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/j ... 234692293/
You must be heart broken over this discussion.
Oh dear god, how will u be able to function after an airport is renamed. Make your way to the streets to counter-protest. That is all you can do to fight this awful transgression.

Will life ever be the same if this passes, probably not. This is the slippery slope that is so clear will be coming. Rise up to defend our great nation.

“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility,” Wayne had said. “I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

“I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. … [O]ur so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival,” Wayne said. “There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”

Freakin dam right Johnny Wayne. We don’t want you on that airport wall we NEED you on that wall.
Wave755
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:30 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:34 am John Wayne Airport to be renamed due to actor’s “racist history”?
Oh dear god, how will u be able to function after an airport is renamed. Make your way to the streets to counter-protest. That is all you can do to fight this awful transgression.

Will life ever be the same if this passes, probably not. This is the slippery slope that is so clear will be coming. Rise up to defend our great nation.

“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility,” Wayne had said. “I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

“I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. … [O]ur so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival,” Wayne said. “There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”

Freakin dam right Johnny Wayne. We don’t want you on that airport wall we NEED you on that wall.
:warn: Go easy on “The Duke,” he had “true grit.” :D
swampnik
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:05 pm
Show Me wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:34 pm
Wave755 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:07 pm And, no kidding, Dixie Beer really will change its name. https://nola.eater.com/2020/6/26/213045 ... r-protests
Unbelievable. White guilt.
all of this, over the name of a 10 dollar bill
"Le billet de dix" does not hold up historically as why we used the term" Dixie" in the 1st place. The article below states they (by-line writer), could find no one in NOLA to back up this claim even though local cartoonist, John Chase, used it it numerous drawings on our city's history.
https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/arc ... ns/613585/
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
swampnik
Surge

The Mormon Church waited till God gave them the message in 1978 that is was time for the LDS to accept black membership. Same thinking from 1800's (not mean spirited per se but very unenlightened thinking in general was on display).
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
swampnik
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:16 pm
swampnik wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:49 pm The USA is the most racist country since inception and placing the blame on the 5 year existence of the CSA will not extinguish that fact. Fredrick Douglas knew this as fact.Their were Southern Nationalists who were abolitionists but needed to establish the CSA as an actual country first by defeating the North. 4 slave states stayed in the Union. Delaware was the last state to abolish slavery.
Sad thing that 150 years after the War really no one has given blacks a break and just see their color. 1960's were the worst sins perpetuated against blacks in the South, but even that should have been blamed on the USA not doing anything to right the injustices between 1865-1960. This was never really "On the south's shoulders" to carry a majority of blame over this long a time span. All major "race riots" were in cities located outside the 11 Confederates States.
Head Start..Jump Start..False Start...1st step thru 12th step...Section 8...Free and/or reduced housing...Welfare money....Baby Mommas of America, Local 69, money for having kids, wanna raise, spit out anotha kid...lower education standards, Free Lunch & Dinner programs....Defund Welfare, establish "Workfare'....Re-establish the "Draft"...that way all the li'l killers can go kill somethin'...on welfare or social benefits, have two kids...your tubes are tied....Males, have two kids, no job. you balls are cut off...America has made not working, way too lucrative...time to turn off the cash flow
Same narrative of the "easy life" in France now also for certain groups.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

swampnik wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:01 am
swampnik wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:49 pm The USA is the most racist country since inception and placing the blame on the 5 year existence of the CSA will not extinguish that fact. Fredrick Douglas knew this as fact.Their were Southern Nationalists who were abolitionists but needed to establish the CSA as an actual country first by defeating the North. 4 slave states stayed in the Union. Delaware was the last state to abolish slavery.
Sad thing that 150 years after the War really no one has given blacks a break and just see their color. 1960's were the worst sins perpetuated against blacks in the South, but even that should have been blamed on the USA not doing anything to right the injustices between 1865-1960. This was never really "On the south's shoulders" to carry a majority of blame over this long a time span. All major "race riots" were in cities located outside the 11 Confederates States.
Head Start..Jump Start..False Start...1st step thru 12th step...Section 8...Free and/or reduced housing...Welfare money....Baby Mommas of America, Local 69, money for having kids, wanna raise, spit out anotha kid...lower education standards, Free Lunch & Dinner programs....Defund Welfare, establish "Workfare'....Re-establish the "Draft"...that way all the li'l killers can go kill somethin'...on welfare or social benefits, have two kids...your tubes are tied....Males, have two kids, no job. you balls are cut off...America has made not working, way too lucrative...time to turn off the cash flow
"Less Bon-Ton Roulette"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:00 am
swampnik wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:01 am
"Less Bon-Ton Roulette"
Bien dit Golfnut.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

To Dix or not to Dixie
https://www.wral.com/where-did-the-word ... /19164152/

Show me the Money
https://www.quora.com/Where-does-the-te ... -come-from

may be attribute to Manhatten NY slave owner (perish the thougth)
https://www.journalnow.com/news/ask_sam ... 011fb.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

We would be in the middle of WW3 if Putin had placed a bounty on Confederate statues instead of American soldiers.
ajcalhoun
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 pm We would be in the middle of WW3 if Putin had placed a bounty on Confederate statues instead of American soldiers.

Do you have evidence of that?
God Bless Everyone!
GreenLantern
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:56 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 pm We would be in the middle of WW3 if Putin had placed a bounty on Confederate statues instead of American soldiers.

No. I do not. I'm an ignorant guy who grew up shoveling cow manure on a farm in north Louisiana. All I know is what I read in the newspapers.

My satirical point is, I've seen some pretty raw things written in this thread. Many here are supportive of our 'history' and how if we remove Confederate statues we are being revisionists. Meanwhile, the irony is that while we're duking it out over statues and street names, the President and commander-in-chief of the most powerful armed forces on earth is yet to publicly condemn the Russians for placing bounties on American servicemen while he issues executive orders protecting statues to rally his base of political supporters.

Ask me if I have evidence of that. I've got a few Pulitzer-prize winning newspapers I can quote.

I also don't think a valid argument for keeping the name of Robert E. Lee Blvd is that black Americans have "an illegitimacy rate in the mid-high 70%". I find that a bit offensive. But that's just me. If this is offensive to you, I suggest you block me because we'll never agree on much if we don't agree on that.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:23 pm
ajcalhoun wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:56 pm

No. I do not. I'm an ignorant guy who grew up shoveling cow manure on a farm in north Louisiana. All I know is what I read in the newspapers.

My satirical point is, I've seen some pretty raw things written in this thread. Many here are supportive of our 'history' and how if we remove Confederate statues we are being revisionists. Meanwhile, the irony is that while we're duking it out over statues and street names, the President and commander-in-chief of the most powerful armed forces on earth is yet to publicly condemn the Russians for placing bounties on American servicemen while he issues executive orders protecting statues to rally his base of political supporters.

Ask me if I have evidence of that. I've got a few Pulitzer-prize winning newspapers I can quote.

I also don't think a valid argument for keeping the name of Robert E. Lee Blvd is that black Americans have "an illegitimacy rate in the mid-high 70%". I find that a bit offensive. But that's just me. If this is offensive to you, I suggest you block me because we'll never agree on much if we don't agree on that.
I may be mistaken, but I think America placed a bounty on BinLaden and several others
swampnik
Surge

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:45 pm

True grit and a "true eye" for the three South American beauties he married.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

swampnik wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:43 pm

Scenes of the remake of True Grit were filmed in Granger, TX not far from us....we almost bought the house that was featured in the film..but it was too much of a project...in the film it was called the Monarch Boarding House"
http://movie-locations.com/movies/t/True-Grit-2010.php
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:52 pm

Scenes of the remake of True Grit were filmed in Granger, TX not far from us....we almost bought the house that was featured in the film..but it was too much of a project...in the film it was called the Monarch Boarding House"
Very ironic Golf. I used to own the Colorado land where the house, in the original True Grit, sits. It was built for the movie, and is still there albeit in a very dilapidated condition. Near Ridgeway, Colorado, the town that they turned into Ft. Smith, Arkansas for the movie--still some buildings in Ridgeway with the Ft. Smith name. Classic Hollywood, nobody could ever confuse Ft. Smith for Ridgeway--polar opposites.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
swampnik
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Very ironic Golf. I used to own the Colorado land where the house, in the original True Grit, sits. It was built for the movie, and is still there albeit in a very dilapidated condition. Near Ridgeway, Colorado, the town that they turned into Ft. Smith, Arkansas for the movie--still some buildings in Ridgeway with the Ft. Smith name. Classic Hollywood, nobody could ever confuse Ft. Smith for Ridgeway--polar opposites.
Forgot the name of a film a few years back where "Oak Street "in New Orleans was substituted for a downtown in a town near Lake Charles.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 pm

I was on MP duty at Ft Chaffee, Ark just south of Ft Smith, when they had some type of " Premier' for the movie True Grit ...my unit was asked to provide crowd control duty....we had a blast, the after party we got invited to, was worth working the event !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I have a funny story about John Wayne. Back in the early ‘80s I was working for Texaco Inc in the oil business and from time to time I would be approached by an independent drillers with the opportunity to invest personally in the drilling of new oil wells.
One day I decided to take up one of the guys and investigate the opportunity. I had just read the prospectus and I really liked the Louisiana drilling acreage that was in the plan I just needed one sign to pull the trigger and make the investment. No sooner than that I turned on the TV and the movie “Hellfighters” was on. If you’re not familiar with the movie it’s about skilled firefighters that extinguish raging oil field fires all over the world. The image on the screen was wellhead that just had a blowout spewing millions of gallons of oil and John Wayne was the fire fighter putting it out. I took that as a sign to make my investment. A month later the offering closed and the company drilled the well. I’ll never forget the phone call that the well hit a pay zone! I surely thought I’d be rich. Unfortunately it started producing water after about three to 4 months of production so I never fully recovered my investment. Damn John Wayne lol.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:40 pm I have a funny story about John Wayne. Back in the early ‘80s I was working for Texaco Inc in the oil business and from time to time I would be approached by an independent drillers with the opportunity to invest personally in the drilling of new oil wells.
One day I decided to take up one of the guys and investigate the opportunity. I had just read the prospectus and I really liked the Louisiana drilling acreage that was in the plan I just needed one sign to pull the trigger and make the investment. No sooner than that I turned on the TV and the movie “Hellfighters” was on. If you’re not familiar with the movie it’s about skilled firefighters that extinguish raging oil field fires all over the world. The image on the screen was wellhead that just had a blowout spewing millions of gallons of oil and John Wayne was the fire fighter putting it out. I took that as a sign to make my investment. A month later the offering closed and the company drilled the well. I’ll never forget the phone call that the well hit a pay zone! I surely thought I’d be rich. Unfortunately it started producing water after about three to 4 months of production so I never fully recovered my investment. Damn John Wayne lol.
That movie was based on Red Adair of Houston, his company was called Boots n Coots if I rememebr correctly
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 703127.php
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:45 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:40 pm I have a funny story about John Wayne. Back in the early ‘80s I was working for Texaco Inc in the oil business and from time to time I would be approached by an independent drillers with the opportunity to invest personally in the drilling of new oil wells.
That movie was based on Red Adair of Houston, his company was called Boots n Coots if I rememebr correctly
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 703127.php
Yes! Sure was!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Should we ban anything with the mention of “The South” ? Seems like it ticks off all the boxes that Dixie did and more.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Then they better get rid of the terms Northeast and Midwest because that's where all the teams were when Jackie Robinson and others broke the color barrier in all the professional sports leagues and were being cursed, spit at and having their lives threatened.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.