Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:20 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:02 am Now medical professionals say not to wear gloves amid coronavirus
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/14/can-wea ... perts.html
I wear gloves precisely to keep myself from touching my face. The gloves make me way more aware what my hands are doing. In other news, dumb practices are dumb.
Since our gym is now open I’ve been going everyday. There’s an older lady that wears gloves and a mask. She tends wipe the sweat off her forehead with the her gloves. She also removes and re-positions her eyeglasses with her gloves. 🤦‍♂️

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Watching Ch 4 news tonight they reporting that 43% of Louisiana Covid deaths are now from Nursing Homes. Just incredible.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:25 pm Watching Ch 4 news tonight they reporting that 43% of Louisiana Covid deaths are now from Nursing Homes. Just incredible.
NY, NJ, PA forced nursing homes to take C-19 patients, thus exposing already those at great risk, to greater risks......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I wonder if there will be any "wrongful death" lawsuits in States where "assisted living - nursing homes" were forced to admit C-19 patients...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

CDC reverses course. Virus does not spread easily from surfaces.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... te-states/
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:58 am CDC reverses course. Virus does not spread easily from surfaces.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... te-states/
ya mean the "experts" were incorrect....
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

"The experts" have more knowledge of infectious disease control than our board posters do collectively.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:08 am "The experts" have more knowledge of infectious disease control than our board posters do collectively.
since this "virus" has never confronted mankind before, and zero studies were conducted prior to it's discovery, they were hardly "experts"....maybe knowledgeable in the field of infectious disease, but hardly experts....
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:15 am
DfromCT wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:08 am "The experts" have more knowledge of infectious disease control than our board posters do collectively.
since this "virus" has never confronted mankind before, and zero studies were conducted prior to it's discovery, they were hardly "experts"....maybe knowledgeable in the field of infectious disease, but hardly experts....
Woodie that much should be obvious. They are experts in infectious disease control, who have studied in schools and laboratories for years, if not decades.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 am
Woodie that much should be obvious. They are experts in infectious disease control, who have studied in schools and laboratories for years, if not decades.
until they develope a vacine..they are just "OJT' ... "On Job Training"
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bullshit flag thrown from 15 yards behind the play on that post. Yes, they're learning about this strain of Coronovirus, which all "first world" nations have been playing with since the 1960s. Do they get everything right? Hell no. But they have decades more experience than anyone I know of that posts on this board. And guess what happened 100+ years ago with the Spanish Flu? They shut down the economy but weren't as successful as social media and mass TV didn't exist. This time the limitation worked, or so it seems. But since you and others want to mock the "experts" do this: go hang out at a bar near or on a big college campus once it re-opens. "OH, you say, that would be foolish". Well how do you know that would be foolish? Thank an epidemiologist.

Do you know yesterday had the highest amount of positive tests worldwide since this began?

Nobody knows the answers. We all want to get through this. But to mock people that have spent their lives studying this TO TRY TO HELP US IN EXACTLY THIS ENVIRONMENT is just plain wrong. Sorry, but I'm giving 15 yards and an automatic 1st down to the Epidemiologists on this post.
Last edited by DfromCT on Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 am
...therefore they must be right, even though they keep flip flopping on basic questions. I can't say that the "experts" have engendered much confidence during this pandemic--a little less scientific ego and over confidence might help them to minimize the flip flopping. In the meantime, the reckless reopenings of Georgia and Florida have yet to yield any problematic surge of C-19 cases--as the experts implied it would.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm ...therefore they must be right, even though they keep flip flopping on basic questions. I can't say that the "experts" have engendered much confidence during this pandemic--a little less scientific ego and over confidence might help them to minimize the flip flopping. In the meantime, the reckless re-openings of Georgia and Florida have yet to yield any problematic surge of C-19 cases--as the experts implied it would.
Two factors: 1. It takes 2 weeks or more after exposure to show signs of the virus and 2. The virus has a much shorter life in the heat than in temps we were experiencing in March and April (and up here until very recently.) Take my advise from the post above, and wait until the fall to hang out at a college bar, or even an after work crowded happy hour. Push the limits, despite most of us being in the high risk categories (I'm pushing 60, and have had medical history that puts me there. Others, over 60, are automatically in the high risk category.)

I'm not against re-opening, and hope we will be back to normal by late August and enjoy a FULL football season. But the bravado people posting here exhibit is disturbing.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm ...therefore they must be right, even though they keep flip flopping on basic questions. I can't say that the "experts" have engendered much confidence during this pandemic--a little less scientific ego and over confidence might help them to minimize the flip flopping. In the meantime, the reckless re-openings of Georgia and Florida have yet to yield any problematic surge of C-19 cases--as the experts implied it would.
Two factors: 1. It takes 2 weeks or more after exposure to show signs of the virus and 2. The virus has a much shorter life in the heat than in temps we were experiencing in March and April (and up here until very recently.) Take my advise from the post above, and wait until the fall to hang out at a college bar, or even an after work happy hour. Push the limits, despite most of us being in the high risk categories (I'm pushing 60, and have had medical history that puts me there. Others, over 60, are automatically in the high risk category.)

I'm not against re-opening, and hope we will be back to normal by late August and enjoy a FULL football season. But the bravado people posting here exhibit is disturbing.
We're in the same boat--I'm 67 and have AFib, hence my wife and I are staying home, using masks, distancing, hand washing, etc. And I could care less what any politician or medical advisor says we should or shouldn't do--I'm going to play it safe for as long as it takes. But at the same time, I can't blame the young adults for wanting to get on with life--I just hope they aren't taking anything back to elderly parents or grandparents, but in the end that's on them. The second wave will come, could be bad, and many of the careless or those with bravado may well pay the price.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:37 pm
We're in the same boat--I'm 67 and have AFib, hence my wife and I are staying home, using masks, distancing, hand washing, etc. And I could care less what any politician or medical advisor says we should or shouldn't do--I'm going to play it safe for as long as it takes. But at the same time, I can't blame the young adults for wanting to get on with life--I just hope they aren't taking anything back to elderly parents or grandparents, but in the end that's on them. The second wave will come, could be bad, and many of the careless or those with bravado may well pay the price.
Amen, brother. Amen.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to get back to normal and re-open the economy. But, like you, I fear the young ones (who are now subject to a mutation of the virus it seems) will bring it back unknowingly to us elders. We have to take steps getting the economy back and running, and as we and the experts learn more, we'll know more about what is safe and what isn't.

One thing I have been doing recently is nasal cleansing. Pollen is ridiculous due to a late spring after a very cold April up here. If by chance I am exposed to the virus, I want my airways as clear as possible to start. I use a Navage device for this. Before anyone buys one, PM me as I can save you $20 (and get $10 credit!) as a referral. And it even qualified for my CVS 40% off coupon!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LSU may require students to mask up
https://wrno.iheart.com/content/2020-05 ... -the-fall/
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

So, in less than 4 months, we've lost 100,000 lives to COVID-19. Some are calling it the "fastest killer of Americans in history." To put it in perspective, We lost 400,000 in WWII, over the course of 4 years. Come to whatever conclusions you may, these are just the cold numbers.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

With all these Euro soccer leagues opening I don’t understand why US leagues are not making better progress. The euro leagues rosters are far more international and they seem to have figured it out.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:47 am So, in less than 4 months, we've lost 100,000 lives to COVID-19. Some are calling it the "fastest killer of Americans in history." To put it in perspective, We lost 400,000 in WWII, over the course of 4 years. Come to whatever conclusions you may, these are just the cold numbers.
Pales to influenzas. The worst being in 1918 infecting over a third of the world’s population and ending the lives of 20 – 50 million people. 500 million people infected from that strain alone. If you add up the total deaths from influenza it will be in the 100’s of millions.
HIV/AIDS at its peak 2005-2012 killed 36 million.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am
DfromCT wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:47 am So, in less than 4 months, we've lost 100,000 lives to COVID-19. Some are calling it the "fastest killer of Americans in history." To put it in perspective, We lost 400,000 in WWII, over the course of 4 years. Come to whatever conclusions you may, these are just the cold numbers.
Pales to influenzas. The worst being in 1918 infecting over a third of the world’s population and ending the lives of 20 – 50 million people. 500 million people infected from that strain alone. If you add up the total deaths from influenza it will be in the 100’s of millions.
You are comparing apples to oranges. The Spanish Flu, which was a virus much like Coronavirus, killed many with 2nd, 3rd and 4th waves over a period of 3 years. The flu EVERY YEAR is a new version of the flu. It requires a new vaccine (which varies from 40-70% effective, being generous) every year. "From that strain alone" is simply not true. The virus mutated in the 2,3, and 4th waves. As it might likely do with COVID19. We are 3.5 months into this ordeal. Again, draw your own conclusions.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am Pales to influenzas. The worst being in 1918 infecting over a third of the world’s population and ending the lives of 20 – 50 million people. 500 million people infected from that strain alone. If you add up the total deaths from influenza it will be in the 100’s of millions.
People that minimize the human loss caused by this disease do so for only a handful of reasons, one in particular being most likely. Let me interpret the prior post for everyone:

This entire pandemic thing is an overblown hoax conceived and executed by one particular political party in order to diminish the likelihood that one politician will be reelected. The evil media is doing everything they can to frighten you.

To which I say, even the people on Gilligan's Island were smart enough to listen to the scientist and not the millionaire.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:28 pm
Show Me wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am
You are comparing apples to oranges. The Spanish Flu, which was a virus much like Coronavirus, killed many with 2nd, 3rd and 4th waves over a period of 3 years. The flu EVERY YEAR is a new version of the flu. It requires a new vaccine (which varies from 40-70% effective, being generous) every year. "From that strain alone" is simply not true. The virus mutated in the 2,3, and 4th waves. As it might likely do with COVID19. We are 3.5 months into this ordeal. Again, draw your own conclusions.
All true, but in the U.S., The Spanish Flu killed somewhere between 650,000 and 1,000,000 depending on who you believe and how they counted flu deaths (sound familiar?). That would equate to anywhere between 2 million and 3.2 million today. Hopefully C-19 won't drift from wave to wave like the 1918 flu did.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 pm
Show Me wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am Pales to influenzas. The worst being in 1918 infecting over a third of the world’s population and ending the lives of 20 – 50 million people. 500 million people infected from that strain alone. If you add up the total deaths from influenza it will be in the 100’s of millions.
People that minimize the human loss caused by this disease do so for only a handful of reasons, one in particular being most likely. Let me interpret the prior post for everyone:

This entire pandemic thing is an overblown hoax conceived and executed by one particular political party in order to diminish the likelihood that one politician will be reelected. The evil media is doing everything they can to frighten you.

To which I say, even the people on Gilligan's Island were smart enough to listen to the scientist and not the millionaire.
And by listening to their scientist, they never got off the island, and I'm not so sure our scientists are going to get us off this C-19 island.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I'm sorry, but in trying to find any kind of normalcy and humor in all of this, your analogies reminded me of this scene from Coming to America. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carry on.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)