Tulane Grad leads first Space X mission to ISS

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

“ NASA has picked the afternoon of May 27 to launch the next step in America's space mission. That afternoon, if the schedule holds, will see the first manned mission to the International Space Station launched from American soil since the Space Shuttle program ended in 2011.

When the SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule launches, it will also mark the first time a spacecraft built by a private company will take men into space. The commander is Col. Doug Hurley, who has a special connection to New Orleans, as a Tulane University graduate.”

“ Doug Hurley’s path to space really got a huge boost in New Orleans in 1988, when he graduated from Tulane University with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering magna cum laude. But he was also in Tulane’s Naval ROTC program. That led him to joining the Marines, becoming a fighter pilot, a test pilot and 20 years ago, an astronaut.”

https://www.wwltv.com/mobile/article/te ... 89e8cf704e

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:25 am “ NASA has picked the afternoon of May 27 to launch the next step in America's space mission. That afternoon, if the schedule holds, will see the first manned mission to the International Space Station launched from American soil since the Space Shuttle program ended in 2011.

When the SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule launches, it will also mark the first time a spacecraft built by a private company will take men into space. The commander is Col. Doug Hurley, who has a special connection to New Orleans, as a Tulane University graduate.”

“ Doug Hurley’s path to space really got a huge boost in New Orleans in 1988, when he graduated from Tulane University with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering magna cum laude. But he was also in Tulane’s Naval ROTC program. That led him to joining the Marines, becoming a fighter pilot, a test pilot and 20 years ago, an astronaut.”

https://www.wwltv.com/mobile/article/te ... 89e8cf704e
Very cool. Safe travels, Doug!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

Remember when Tulane had a full engineering program? What a strange thing to have at a major national university!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pm Remember when Tulane had a full engineering program? What a strange thing to have at a major national university!!!
And when did Cowen close it down??

Perhaps in the time that New Orleans most needed engineers?

Sorry to bring the venom of Cowen back into this. I just wish the University would distance from Mr. Cowen. Those were not anything close to resembling "heyday" years.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm
anEngineer wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pm Remember when Tulane had a full engineering program? What a strange thing to have at a major national university!!!
And when did Cowen close it down??

Perhaps in the time that New Orleans most needed engineers?

Sorry to bring the venom of Cowen back into this. I just wish the University would distance from Mr. Cowen. Those were not anything close to resembling "heyday" years.
Let’s shudder civil engineering after perhaps the worst civil engineering disaster, seems reasonable.
FYI, Of course, I may be biased as I have a degree in Civil Engineering.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
IM42lane
Swell

Wasn't Col. Hurley the CO on the very last space shuttle mission?
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The most intelligent folks I knew at Tulane were in the engineering program. Kind of insane and amazing Cowen was allowed to give it the axe. What will it take to bring it back ? It seems like there are many successful Engineering Alums, many of whom are fiercely loyal. Seems like it should be a priority to restore.
RobertM320
Green Wave

IM42lane wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 pm Wasn't Col. Hurley the CO on the very last space shuttle mission?
I'll give you half credit. He was the pilot, but not the Commander

https://www.space.com/12195-space-shutt ... nauts.html
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:44 pm
IM42lane wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 pm Wasn't Col. Hurley the CO on the very last space shuttle mission?
I'll give you half credit. He was the pilot, but not the Commander

https://www.space.com/12195-space-shutt ... nauts.html
I put my faith in the pilot flying the plane, not some commander of the flite attendants
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:44 pm
I'm not sure if this is you or not and this is totally off-topic but I just saw a facebook post that glowingly recommended moldaners.com for digital printing services.

If this isn't you or if you didn't want to be "outed" like this I apologize.

I just wanted to share some good news.
God Bless Everyone!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

BigSteve, that's compelling video. Thanks for sharing, I'll check back closer to 4 PM EDT.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Godspeed Captain Hurley!
bbos1
Ripple

I am not sure that I totally agree with Bicoastal Wave's blanket statement about the most intelligent students at Tulane. I can think of some extremely intelligent premed students that frequently surpassed the engineering students in chemistry, calculus and physics. I am not downplaying the intelligence of the engineering students but there were plenty other very intelligent students at Tulane who were not studying engineering. Just saying
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

bbos1 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:02 pm I am not sure that I totally agree with Bicoastal Wave's blanket statement about the most intelligent students at Tulane. I can think of some extremely intelligent premed students that frequently surpassed the engineering students in chemistry, calculus and physics. I am not downplaying the intelligence of the engineering students but there were plenty other very intelligent students at Tulane who were not studying engineering. Just saying
I don’t disagree. I was speaking anecdotally about my experience and some of the people I knew at Tulane. I also knew brilliant premed, law, architecture, etc folks.
McWave
High Tide

So, anyone hear the BR media refer to Astronaut Hurley as “former Tulane”...
squilz
Low Tide

Surely a civil engineering program in New Orleans would attract bright minds, both in faculty and prospective undergrads and grad students. It seems like a no brainer that Tulane, in New Orleans, would offer such a program. Major props to Colonel Hurley. Space X had an unmanned rocket launch explode just yesterday. I would've been terrified
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

squilz wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:50 pm Surely a civil engineering program in New Orleans would attract bright minds, both in faculty and prospective undergrads and grad students. It seems like a no brainer that Tulane, in New Orleans, would offer such a program. Major props to Colonel Hurley. Space X had an unmanned rocket launch explode just yesterday. I would've been terrified
The rocket that exploded, was an experimental proptype, nothing like the one used in the Launch.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !