2020 College Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

For some schools, primarily those in the P5, they have to play in front of fans because ticket sales and concessions, seat licenses, etc DWARF the $30-40 millon they make from TV revenue. Texas A&M claims to take in over $100 million in football revenues outside of the TV money they make from the SEC.

Other schools, primarily those not in the P5, will come close to or break even if the games are not played. It's definitely a follow the money scenario, and clearly some programs have more reason to take risks than others. There's also going to be widespread differences from program to program both within a conference and outside conference games as to how soon players are able to have supervised strength and conditioning programs. This will create advantages and disadvantages for when they actually start practicing that will carry into game play the entire season. Do you really think Tulane has a shot at MSU if they start working out June 1st and Tulane doesn't open facilities until July 15?

Again, I ask, what happens when the first of 11k football players playing D1 football tests positive? There's bound to be quite a few, especially once the season gets going. It took 1 NBA player testing positive to bring winter and spring NCAA competition to a screeching halt.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Here's an article with a ton of information about MSU, particularly their tendencies in the red zone. I hope our coaching staff has a chance to see it (hint, hint!)

https://theathletic.com/1810566/2020/05 ... dailyemail
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

This has really exposed the reality of college sports at the highest level. I will leave it at that. $$$$$$$
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ESPN was running a note across the bottom of the screen about P5's losing over $1 Billion if there was no season. And it included a note that 40+ % of P5 schools have reserves that could handle such losses in a year. The problem is that Football through a ton of revenue sources, funds most of the P5 athletic departments.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tulane to start voluntary football workouts on June 15th as per FTW. Tulane announced classes will begin August 19th and will end on November 24th.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:45 pm Tulane to start voluntary football workouts on June 15th as per FTW. Tulane announced classes will begin August 19th and will end on November 24th.
Hooray , hooray Happy that I appear to be wrong about the 2020 season being cancelled
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:30 pm
winwave wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:45 pm Tulane to start voluntary football workouts on June 15th as per FTW. Tulane announced classes will begin August 19th and will end on November 24th.
Hooray , hooray Happy that I appear to be wrong about the 2020 season being cancelled
We find something common to agree upon, Pete. I hope to hell I was wrong about a college football season this fall.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Looks like this will be the preseason schedule:

https://www.bdtonline.com/region/ncaa-p ... d8931.html
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

FBS college football needs to break away from the NCAA. I believe that non-P5 football scholarships need to be discounted from the overall athletic department count. The non-P5 Football schools will be better able to support themselves and their athletic departments without the burden of supporting 85 dead weight scholly's, coaches, admins, travel ect...
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:44 pm FBS college football needs to break away from the NCAA. I believe that non-P5 football scholarships need to be discounted from the overall athletic department count. The non-P5 Football schools will be better able to support themselves and their athletic departments without the burden of supporting 85 dead weight scholly's, coaches, admins, travel ect...
I'm trying to understand why it would make a difference? Help me out. As I understand it, Title IX is a federal mandate that has nothing to do with NCAA scholarship allocations. I may be wrong, but 97, please help me understand your point.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He's not the only one confused '97. Please expound so the matter can be discussed.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NCAA approves the plan:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... d18ff.html

While extended the setback is classes starting earlier. Normally the teams would have a couple of weeks of practice before that and that meant the 20 hour limit didn't apply. Now with classes starting on August 10th that 20 hour rule will take effect almost as soon a camp starts.
MicMan
Swell

HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:20 pm
wave97 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:44 pm FBS college football needs to break away from the NCAA. I believe that non-P5 football scholarships need to be discounted from the overall athletic department count. The non-P5 Football schools will be better able to support themselves and their athletic departments without the burden of supporting 85 dead weight scholly's, coaches, admins, travel ect...
I'm trying to understand why it would make a difference? Help me out. As I understand it, Title IX is a federal mandate that has nothing to do with NCAA scholarship allocations. I may be wrong, but 97, please help me understand your point.
It is a federal mandate. But I hope we see the FBS break away from the NCAA for numerous other reasons.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:06 am First D1 football cancellation

https://sports.yahoo.com/southern-herit ... 33493.html
And just today, the infallible Dr. Fauci said, "Football may not happen this year."--I guess another one of his models indicated football should not be allowed. I'm betting that the NFL, many university economic models, and a number of television networks, will say otherwise.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
gbgreenie
Surge

People just won't listen, Wear Mask for yourself and others. We can easily go back into lockdown if cases keep rising. Our freedoms as Americans is often misunderstood. Our rights end when our actions infringe on someone elses rights as Americans. Around the world countries have kept the covid19 virus at bay with social distancing and wearing mask. No questions asked mask are worn. We go to the beach, gym, restaurants and I have to walk out no mask being worn. Governors, mayors all said we move forward but it depends on all of us not a few. Be careless and we will have restrictions reinstated and jeopardize sports in the fall, maybe even school.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:08 pm

And just today, the infallible Dr. Fauci said, "Football may not happen this year."--I guess another one of his models indicated football should not be allowed. I'm betting that the NFL, many university economic models, and a number of television networks, will say otherwise.
But 100,000 people at a protest ok. 🤦‍♂️ FB should just outfit the helmets with face shields. The virus has a better chance spreading that way vs touching something.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The NFL is now considering playing their season "in a bubble" similar to the NBA finishing their season in Orlando. This is something the NFL can do that NCAA football cannot even consider. Employees versus students are a huge difference. We've been through this argument before, I think it's clear there's a MUCH better chance of a full NFL season than there is for a full NCAA season. College kids will be college kids. NFL players, that are making a MINIMUM of $610k/year are going to more responsive to whatever they must do. Athletes on scholarship are still part of the general student body (and many, both G5 and P5 don't have separate Athletics dorms) and will be very difficult to prevent from partying in or out of a dorm, or on campus or around town.

We all want this to be over. It's far from over.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:58 am The NFL is now considering playing their season "in a bubble" similar to the NBA finishing their season in Orlando. This is something the NFL can do that NCAA football cannot even consider. Employees versus students are a huge difference. We've been through this argument before, I think it's clear there's a MUCH better chance of a full NFL season than there is for a full NCAA season. College kids will be college kids. NFL players, that are making a MINIMUM of $610k/year are going to more responsive to whatever they must do. Athletes on scholarship are still part of the general student body (and many, both G5 and P5 don't have separate Athletics dorms) and will be very difficult to prevent from partying in or out of a dorm, or on campus or around town.

We all want this to be over. It's far from over.
I am beginning to think college football will not be played this fall... I am already looking into Fall Saturday Golf Tournaments
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:03 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:08 pm

But 100,000 people at a protest ok. 🤦‍♂️ FB should just outfit the helmets with face shields. The virus has a better chance spreading that way vs touching something.
I'm not sure a football helmet with a face-shield will do anything as the chin strap area is all open. Maybe if they wear one of those deep sea diver helmets, that might work, however I don't think that will go over well as those things would get extremely hot. Yes those mass protest groups are breeding grounds for the rona, but the protesters are not tackling each other and forming dog piles (minus the police) like they would be in every play. Don't get me wrong, I desperately want football to happen, but not at the expense of an already shafted college athlete. Also, don't forget that the lethality of rona seems to disproportionately affect a minority group that makes up a majority of the player base.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I hope the NFL does put them in a bubble. It will be interesting to see if the players go for being away from their families for a season that is much longer than a college season. Yet as young and monied individuals no doubt some will be sneaking out or having their fun imported. There's arrest report after arrest report to show how careless they can be. It's a crap shoot but no one knows unless you try. It's good that the college players are back so early. Some are really screwing up and hopefully it serves as a notice to others. Hoping to see some football this season . We'll know soon enough.