2020 College Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There may be students on campus in the South come late August, but that remains to be seen in the North. And if there's no football this fall, some schools will drop out of D1 because of financial losses. Football pays the bills, even at Tulane where we don't have a strong fan base.

Some "experts" say 1/3 to 1/2 of G5 schools will drop D1 sports if there's no football this fall. And NCAA football is WAY WAY WAY more problematic to do than the NFL.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If football can't be played at all for the upcoming 20-21 school yer then the conditions would also dictate that no other sports could be played. So in effect all would shut down for one year. Staffs would be laid off. No travel cost. They all have a lot of infrastructure dedicated to athletics. So it would be surprising to see a big number just giving it all up for good.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:04 pm If football can't be played at all for the upcoming 20-21 school yer then the conditions would also dictate that no other sports could be played. So in effect all would shut down for one year. Staffs would be laid off. No travel cost. They all have a lot of infrastructure dedicated to athletics. So it would be surprising to see a big number just giving it all up for good.
There's a large percentage of NCAA member institutions that barely break even. Some of those will disappear if there's no income not only from sports, but from tuition as well. The landscape is bound to change coming out of this. That's what's been true for eternity: crises are forces of change. Some Universities will not survive if there's no on-campus classes this fall. Bleak and blunt? Hell yes, but smarter people than me are predicting this.

Watching ESPN this morning, which has as much or more than any entity tied into there being football, Golic was discussing the logistical nightmare of trying to have games with even 25% capacity in the stands. Are you going to require those attending to certify they're either testing negative or have had the virus? Are you going to take the temperature of every patron going through the turnstyles? Are you going to allow folks to head to concessions or the bathrooms whenever they want, risking no social distancing at certain breaks in the game? How about leaving the stadium, are you going to leave row by row so there's no typical crush getting out of the stadium. All of this would turn a 3 hour event into a 6+ hour debacle. There's so many implications of having fans in the stands that would require extreme planning and cooperation to work out.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:08 am
winwave wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:04 pm If football can't be played at all for the upcoming 20-21 school yer then the conditions would also dictate that no other sports could be played. So in effect all would shut down for one year. Staffs would be laid off. No travel cost. They all have a lot of infrastructure dedicated to athletics. So it would be surprising to see a big number just giving it all up for good.
There's a large percentage of NCAA member institutions that barely break even. Some of those will disappear if there's no income not only from sports, but from tuition as well. The landscape is bound to change coming out of this. That's what's been true for eternity: crises are forces of change. Some Universities will not survive if there's no on-campus classes this fall. Bleak and blunt? Hell yes, but smarter people than me are predicting this.

Watching ESPN this morning, which has as much or more than any entity tied into there being football, Golic was discussing the logistical nightmare of trying to have games with even 25% capacity in the stands. Are you going to require those attending to certify they're either testing negative or have had the virus? Are you going to take the temperature of every patron going through the turnstyles? Are you going to allow folks to head to concessions or the bathrooms whenever they want, risking no social distancing at certain breaks in the game? How about leaving the stadium, are you going to leave row by row so there's no typical crush getting out of the stadium. All of this would turn a 3 hour event into a 6+ hour debacle. There's so many implications of having fans in the stands that would require extreme planning and cooperation to work out.
Of course there could be change brought on by this. However there is plenty of lead time to the fall semester. While some students claim they won't do another semester on line what happens when the time comes? Do they pass on that opportunity to continue their education on time or do they give up a year and thus eventually give up a year of earnings? So there will be tuition coming in. The there are endowments. Yes schools are loathe to tap into them but if the choice is the school shuts down permanently or you spend that endowment and keep it afloat they;ll tap it.

As to logistics of gameday it's the same everywhere. You go to the store and signs everywhere ask you to stay 6 feet apart. No one is following it Plus with limited attendance it will be easier to manage. I heard Golic bring up how Miami's owner has come up with thiei plan to have limited fan attendance.

Bottom line is everyone has a lot of time on their hands to dream up worst case scenarios to give them something to talk about. Things could be much different come September. Could be better. Could be worse. Schools and leagues are feverishly working on various ways to move forward. Hopefully it happens. If not we'll see the fallout.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:28 am

Of course there could be change brought on by this. However there is plenty of lead time to the fall semester. While some students claim they won't do another semester on line what happens when the time comes? Do they pass on that opportunity to continue their education on time or do they give up a year and thus eventually give up a year of earnings? So there will be tuition coming in. The there are endowments. Yes schools are loathe to tap into them but if the choice is the school shuts down permanently or you spend that endowment and keep it afloat they;ll tap it.

As to logistics of gameday it's the same everywhere. You go to the store and signs everywhere ask you to stay 6 feet apart. No one is following it Plus with limited attendance it will be easier to manage. I heard Golic bring up how Miami's owner has come up with thiei plan to have limited fan attendance.

Bottom line is everyone has a lot of time on their hands to dream up worst case scenarios to give them something to talk about. Things could be much different come September. Could be better. Could be worse. Schools and leagues are feverishly working on various ways to move forward. Hopefully it happens. If not we'll see the fallout.
+1
I’ll add please stay home if you don’t think it’s safe. I don’t need anyone deciding for me. I’d prefer to make my own choice. I’ve noticed quite a huge difference in auto traffic this weekend. People are going out more and more. They are aware of the risks and are willing to live their life accordingly.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Let's say LSU allows 20K fans to a game. Let's also say it takes, on average, 1 minute per fan to get through whatever they have to do to allow them in (take temperature, collect a doctors slip, whatever). That's 20,000 minutes. I'll give you 15 access points with an average of 5 turnstyles doing these checks. That's still 4.4 hours to get 20k fans into the stadium. Cut it all in half, and it's still 2.2 hours. Then you have to keep them socially distanced. It's just not feasible.

And yes, most Universities have endowments. A few are huge, but most are less than $1 billion. Some are only a few million dollars. I'm not telling anyone what to do, or what is right or wrong. I'm just saying there's going to be significant change in the landscape over the next 6-24 months. TPS and winwave you've both panned me in the past two months for being mister doom and gloom. What's changed that makes you think we're going to get back to normal by late August? Life will not be the same on the other side of this pandemic as it was in 2019.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

time for UV lights to be installed at every entry/exit point and in all bathrooms...kill dem virus'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 am Let's say LSU allows 20K fans to a game. Let's also say it takes, on average, 1 minute per fan to get through whatever they have to do to allow them in (take temperature, collect a doctors slip, whatever). That's 20,000 minutes. I'll give you 15 access points with an average of 5 turnstyles doing these checks. That's still 4.4 hours to get 20k fans into the stadium. Cut it all in half, and it's still 2.2 hours. Then you have to keep them socially distanced. It's just not feasible.

And yes, most Universities have endowments. A few are huge, but most are less than $1 billion. Some are only a few million dollars. I'm not telling anyone what to do, or what is right or wrong. I'm just saying there's going to be significant change in the landscape over the next 6-24 months. TPS and winwave you've both panned me in the past two months for being mister doom and gloom. What's changed that makes you think we're going to get back to normal by late August? Life will not be the same on the other side of this pandemic as it was in 2019.
LSU fans get to the stadium 5-8 hours early. Another few minutes is nothing.
I hate security at Tulane baseball games with a few hundred people. The temperature thing will become part of that process. It’s a burden that fans will gladly carry to be able to attend. The social distance thing can be overcome If they make us wear a mask and gloves I won’t like it but I’ll do it to go inside. Same with FB. They will need to open more gates to facilitate the process. Cost of tickets will rise.
The virus is here to stay. We have to adjust our ways now to manage it.
I’m good with that. At least we play outside vs inside like the Saints. Our crowds much more manageable outside as compared to LSU as well.
Tulane actually is in a better position to manage this then most.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:02 am

+1
I’ll add please stay home if you don’t think it’s safe. I don’t need anyone deciding for me. I’d prefer to make my own choice. I’ve noticed quite a huge difference in auto traffic this weekend. People are going out more and more. They are aware of the risks and are willing to live their life accordingly.
Now I am not saying it is right or wrong and I agree people should be able to set their own risk tolerance. However, the flip side argument is that you are putting others at risk. As the virus spreads even for those with no symptoms who are carrying it. The more people who just want to proceed as normal add risk to those who are just going out to get their essential needs filled. Ya dig? It a rough balance. Seems people are reaching their quarantine breaking point and many just don’t care. The next two weeks will be critical.
MicMan
Swell

Roll Second Wave! LOL
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 am Let's say LSU allows 20K fans to a game. Let's also say it takes, on average, 1 minute per fan to get through whatever they have to do to allow them in (take temperature, collect a doctors slip, whatever). That's 20,000 minutes. I'll give you 15 access points with an average of 5 turnstyles doing these checks. That's still 4.4 hours to get 20k fans into the stadium. Cut it all in half, and it's still 2.2 hours. Then you have to keep them socially distanced. It's just not feasible.

D- they can take your temp while you stand in line. The process won't add anywhere near the time you're talking about. In fact it may add none.

As for change a lot of the smaller businesses might not reopen .We'll see what the government aid does to hold that down. I don't know that we've ever seen this type of massive federal aid and more is likely to come. No one has said we'll be back to normal by August. Not even close. All parties involved are working on plans to do what they can when things are re-opened. That's what we are talking about. As for going to the games I would if allowed. I am also fine if they say we can play but to do so we can't have fans yet.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:38 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:02 am

+1
Now I am not saying it is right or wrong and I agree people should be able to set their own risk tolerance. However, the flip side argument is that you are putting others at risk. As the virus spreads even for those with no symptoms who are carrying it. The more people who just want to proceed as normal add risk to those who are just going out to get their essential needs filled. Ya dig? It a rough balance. Seems people are reaching their quarantine breaking point and many just don’t care. The next two weeks will be critical.
mba- No one is saying to proceed as normal here. IF allowed in games it would probably mandate wearing mask and with limited attendance it will adhere to social distancing moreso than other places that are currently open. Even if one does limit themselves to one trip to the grocery a week you are in there with many that are not wearing a mask. So one could argue you are more likely to spread it than a fan at a game. I care and do follow the rules when I go out. I encourage all to do so. At least for these next two weeks we still have the stay at home order in place. We'll see where it leads.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I can’t wait for the Tulane-Houston Rematch. You know their POS coach hasn’t forgotten about us ending his season and making him a laughing stock for redshirting King only to have him transfer. The good news is they won’t have King, the bad news is it’s @ Houston and Houston always has amazing talent.

I just rewatched these extended highlights and boy did it put a smile on my face ! Forgot how great of a game it was!

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:49 pm I can’t wait for the Tulane-Houston Rematch. You know their POS coach hasn’t forgotten about us ending his season and making him a laughing stock for redshirting King only to have him transfer. The good news is they won’t have King, the bad news is it’s @ Houston and Houston always has amazing talent.

I just rewatched these extended highlights and boy did it put a smile on my face ! Forgot how great of a game it was!

Thanks for posting that! Put a big smile on my face.
MicMan
Swell

Lifting of virus restrictions means more infections and more deaths ahead. Tulane will NOT have in-person classes in the fall and, until a system is in place to test staff and students -- a massive job -- there cannot be large gathering with any assurance of safety. This is a new normal until there's a vaccine and the sooner we get used to that the sooner we can move ahead.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There may never be a vaccine for this. There will never be enough testing either. We can wear mask and we can keep our distance. The sooner we get used to it the sooner we can move ahead.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:54 am There may never be a vaccine for this. There will never be enough testing either. We can wear mask and we can keep our distance. The sooner we get used to it the sooner we can move ahead.
Absolutely! I was about to post that exact thing.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

MicMan wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:42 pm Lifting of virus restrictions means more infections and more deaths ahead. Tulane will NOT have in-person classes in the fall and, until a system is in place to test staff and students -- a massive job -- there cannot be large gathering with any assurance of safety. This is a new normal until there's a vaccine and the sooner we get used to that the sooner we can move ahead.
Exactly and there are plenty who have not yet figured that out.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:53 am
MicMan wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:42 pm Lifting of virus restrictions means more infections and more deaths ahead. Tulane will NOT have in-person classes in the fall and, until a system is in place to test staff and students -- a massive job -- there cannot be large gathering with any assurance of safety. This is a new normal until there's a vaccine and the sooner we get used to that the sooner we can move ahead.
No classes on campus would mean no athletics. Very few argue that point, and most of the talking heads in the media bring it up regularly. NCAA would become a minor league if it were to play games without classes being held. All pretenses of "student-athlete" will be gone.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The AD's have been clear that if there are no students on campus then no athletics. At this time though schools are forming their plans to have students on campus in the fall.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:53 am
When I'm in agreement with both Bigschtick and MicMan it's an unusual time. I'm afraid that these guys are spot on. Look for the daily national death rate to climb to 3000 souls. Football and nail salons may be our least worry. I suspect that a lot of folks will begin to second guess the rush to reopen businesses. It is a moral dilemma with no right answer. Now more than ever we need strong and also compassionate leadership at all levels of government. I would not wish to be the one who had to live with these decisions. It's Sophie's choice.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I have stopped paying any attention to "The Experts"..the reason, there are none....., 3,000 a day are going to die..that may well be, but from what cause.... at present, C-19 is the easy "cause of death" call, Louisiana will be one of the last States "to open"...the reason, way to many Federal dollars are being dumped there becasue of the perceived health issues..the longer ole John Bel can keep gettin' FED money, which at last count was 1.7 billion...the longer the "virus" lives and the state stays closed or restricted
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golf- you are very wrong . What he's referring to there is not the stay at home order. He is talking about the Public Health Emergency he has declared. if a state doesn't have one in place they don't get the much needed help. ALL states currently have one in place and they will remain in place. The stay away order can be lifted , and it will be soon in a phased in manner, and the Public Emergency declaration can still stand. The reason for his comment is in response to some legislators finding a law that would allow them by a majority vote to overturn his Public Health Emergency declaration.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:03 pm golf- you are very wrong . What he's referring to there is not the stay at home order. He is talking about the Public Health Emergency he has declared. if a state doesn't have one in place they don't get the much needed help. ALL states currently have one in place and they will remain in place. The stay away order can be lifted , and it will be soon in a phased in manner, and the Public Emergency declaration can still stand. The reason for his comment is in response to some legislators finding a law that would allow them by a majority vote to overturn his Public Health Emergency declaration.
win, U may be correct, and I may be very wrong, but I will bet two large NOLA Original daiquiris, Louisiana will be one of the last "to open"......and thank gawd the drive thrus at NOLA Original are operating, or the "rehab" centers would not have enuff beds