2020 College Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

One thing I think we can pretty much rule out: The season starting in August. I hope we have a season of some sort, and hope it's in the fall. But there's not going to be sell outs as fans stay away, and the risk of injuries will require at least 30, if not 60 days of prep time between opening camps and playing games.

And if campuses are not open across the country, there won't be sports.

Tulane should set up a FREE streaming service with all of last years games, and as many games from other seasons as possible. Do we even have a full game tape of the '73 LSU game?

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:56 am One thing I think we can pretty much rule out: The season starting in August. I hope we have a season of some sort, and hope it's in the fall. But there's not going to be sell outs as fans stay away, and the risk of injuries will require at least 30, if not 60 days of prep time between opening camps and playing games.

And if campuses are not open across the country, there won't be sports.

Tulane should set up a FREE streaming service with all of last years games, and as many games from other seasons as possible. Do we even have a full game tape of the '73 LSU game?
I’d bet a million bucks the SEC plays FB this fall. At least a conference schedule.
All of those Southern governors love their SEC FB.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:01 am I’d bet a million bucks the SEC plays FB this fall. At least a conference schedule.
All of those Southern governors love their FB.
They might, rabbit, they might!

(Bugs Bunny reference)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LSU looks to return to campus around May 15th:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... bcb49.html
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:02 pm LSU looks to return to campus around May 15th:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... bcb49.html
Doesn't sound like there will be undergrads on campus anytime soon.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sounds like they are setting the table for that to happen sooner than later.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

As they discussed moments ago on ESPN's "Get Up" show, others are now realizing that if there is no NCAA football this season, the face of D1 athletics will change. Football funds most of the athletics at most D1 universities. I was ridiculed on this site by some for making the same suggestion over a month ago. It's a very real threat, and a very real motivation for somehow getting the season in even if it's after the new year.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The University of Texas @ Austin ..." we ain't afraid of no virus "
https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/nca ... 382b898a96

Iowa, having a Field of Dreams....The players to report & begin practicing
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... k-practice
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri May 01, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

SEC moving toward fall season for football:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... aaf40.html
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:49 pm SEC moving toward fall season for football:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... aaf40.html
Exactly they will play even if it’s just conference games. Too much money not to.
“There is room for different conferences to make different decisions. But we’re all interconnected. When we’re playing basketball tournaments there is no connection. We’re all in our arenas playing each other.”
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I don’t see it, at least not in the fall.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I can see it, but not with fans in the stands.
greenie78
Riptide

Yeah I think we will have it but probably without fans.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I could see it and if it happens I can see fans allowed in at somewhere between 25%-33% capacity.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:54 am I could see it and if it happens I can see fans allowed in at somewhere between 25%-33% capacity.
At a school like Tulane, that's possible. How do the Michigans, Notre Dame, LSU, Alabama, Ohio State and Clemsons of the powerful P5's keep 66-75% of their season ticket holders out? Good luck with that!

And even if they did limit attendance, you don't think they'll be high fives and carrying on when big plays are made?

The bigger concern is some schools getting a jump on training and conditioning while others are still ordered to social distancing and no team activities.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

First off you'll have a good number of people who don't want to go that normally do go. You can rotate who's in and out game to game. I'm sure we'll start to hear of various plans schools have just in case it will be allowed.

As to high fives no I don't think that will go on. There will be space between people plus just the common fear of touching. There air fives if you will along with air hugs.

As to training they can follow the NFL model that no one can practice till all can.

Where there's a will there's a way. When it comes to sports in this country there's a very strong will.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Doesn’t school have to be in session to play sports, or did I miss/invent something.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/0 ... -back.html

Ultimately not sure the trade off.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes it does. Schools are making plans to open for the fall semester. There was an article in The Advocate today about the various plans the local universities are making.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:09 pm
winwave wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:54 am I could see it and if it happens I can see fans allowed in at somewhere between 25%-33% capacity.
At a school like Tulane, that's possible. How do the Michigans, Notre Dame, LSU, Alabama, Ohio State and Clemsons of the powerful P5's keep 66-75% of their season ticket holders out? Good luck with that!

And even if they did limit attendance, you don't think they'll be high fives and carrying on when big plays are made?

The bigger concern is some schools getting a jump on training and conditioning while others are still ordered to social distancing and no team activities.
Those schools are going to conduct a weekly lottery for season ticket holders. Most fans are good with this. Only fair way to handle the social distance requirements.
If you have 6 season tickets your chances are better than the guy with one or two.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

We shall see.

With no treatment, there will be risk and certainly infections. It is really clear. A risk worth taking? Perhaps. That is true to argument right now. You have a mass of moving parts to contend with.

Live in the dorms all week, attend classes but come Sat separate for three hours. Seems reasonable.

Logistically, if you consider Nascar’s support staff, it is about the size of the nba, if that works out then the NBA can continue, FBall is a much bigger logistical nightmare, especially college vs pros. Coaches/85 players/walk ons/medical staff/admin/nutrition. Not to mention grounds crew, ticket takers, equipment managers. You have students and players from all over the country/world all on campus.

So let me get this straight, LSU is back and they agree to 65% capacity at Tiger stadium. Sure tailgating will be simple. Those folks will adhere. I mean they have a history of civility. I know my time at Tiger Stadium, throughout the SEC/major college football, has been an act of folks showing rational social discourse.

Call it how it is, people will need to accept a decent amount of risk, end of story. If folks are willing to make that trade, then great. But don’t just say it will happen without recognizing the massive logistics vs the $$ at stake.

Should be interesting
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Sun May 03, 2020 2:05 am, edited 9 times in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Those schools are going to conduct a weekly lottery for season ticket holders. Most fans are good with this. Only fair way to handle the social distance requirements.
If you have 6 season tickets your chances are better than the guy with one or two.
“Most fans are good with this”
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I watched a Prez Fitts webcast on Friday, discussing C-19 matters at Tulane. Much of it was positive. As far as classes this fall, Fitts talked at length about the importance of the on campus experience, and the fact that college age students were faring well throughout the pandemic. While he said they were still evaluating everything, from his comments I fully expect Tulane will open on schedule this fall—which in turn increases the chances of at least a televised season.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

classes wil begin...stadiums will be full, beer will be drank....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:34 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:15 pm

“Most fans are good with this”
Those fans ok with taking a risk should they get picked. The fans still fearful can stay home and watch on TV.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ya can bet all the college football networks are chompin' at the bit fo reduced attendance, so they can jack up the cost of TV advertising