2020 College Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:46 pm win, I don't know that the SEC would send their 3rd best team to the Birmingham Bowl. I just thought that if Tulane went undefeated OOC, then 5-2 in the AAC but missed the title game, we'd be ranked, and a good opponent for a good SEC team. We would have beaten Northwestern and Mississippi State and let's say our losses were to Memphis (or Houston) and UCF.

This is all made up. There's no right or wrong answers. And I agree my scenario to get a good matchup versus an SEC team is probably a pipe dream.

Frankly, I hope we're all drinking beers and having fun in Yulman, our living rooms, and wherever we need to be watching our Wave come fall. Boy is this social distancing is bringing to light how much we love things we take for granted.
Pipe dream: Tulane does 12-0 (maybe 11-1 would do it) wins the NYC 6 Birth and plays a 2 loss LSU . . . Tulane fans burn down the stadium as the ncaa drops the death penalty of the LSU basketball team after the tiggers lose.

Fever dream: LSU finishes 8-4, Tulane finishes 10-2 meet in the Birmingham bowl and we rip down the goal posts. Everyone is fired at LSU. A major resurgence of Tulane pride and respect in Louisiana grows.

Sober vision: Tulane finishes 9-3 and plays in the first annual Fenway Bowl against 7-5 Boston College (or Wake forest). We consume our usual amount of alcohol and no one in Louisiana notices.

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:32 am
MicMan wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:26 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:49 pm Wimbledon will not be played this year. Announced earlier today.
That’s bizarre. If there ever was a sport that needed no fans it’s tennis.
Could easily play matches on TV with empty stands at the very least. Players are far away from one another as is the umpire.
You know better than that. The dozens of personnel needed to operate a professional tournament -- facilities, food, medical, security, coaches, where to house players, etc etc. And that's not counting the people needed on the TV side. It's not plausible.
You wouldn’t need any of that other support staff. This is an individual sport. Players have to be tested before qualifying. Temp’s taken before the start of each match. You of course lock the gates. Necessary Medical personal to wear personal protection. Food is not an issue with no fans. Boxed lunches. Players can bring what they need including drinks. To me it’s looks like they canceled this early to be politically correct. TV ratings would be the tournament’s highest ever.

https://vm.tiktok.com/tU3XNM/
Temps are irrelevant. You would need to sequester all players, officials, support staff, camera people, producers etc. for 14 days. Test everyone each day. Fly all these people in. Then if one person came up positive Once it starts, the whole tourney would unravel. About 15 tennis tourneys have been canceled costing the tour and players millions. Do you believe the promotors and tour officials have assessed the financial cost benefit? The same largely can be said about the pga tour. The one exception so far is the WWE. Even the ultra aggressive UFC couldn’t get it done.
Jaxwave
Swell

I just went online and bet $1,000 on the under win total for every CFB and NFL football team, all of whom will win zero. And I will invest all my remaining life savings into golf companies as more and more Americans want to continue to social distance but still compete in something.
Is that wrong to want to profit from that disease back east (channeling my inner Urban Meyer)?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:13 am I just went online and bet $1,000 on the under win total for every CFB and NFL football team, all of whom will win zero. And I will invest all my remaining life savings into golf companies as more and more Americans want to continue to social distance but still compete in something.
Is that wrong to want to profit from that disease back east (channeling my inner Urban Meyer)?
Nothing you mention here is illegal (like price gouging) though your under bets would be null and void if there's no seasons (I'm sure you know that.) Peter Lynch would be proud of your decision to invest in golf companies.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
swampnik
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:46 pm win, I don't know that the SEC would send their 3rd best team to the Birmingham Bowl. I just thought that if Tulane went undefeated OOC, then 5-2 in the AAC but missed the title game, we'd be ranked, and a good opponent for a good SEC team. We would have beaten Northwestern and Mississippi State and let's say our losses were to Memphis (or Houston) and UCF.

This is all made up. There's no right or wrong answers. And I agree my scenario to get a good matchup versus an SEC team is probably a pipe dream.

Frankly, I hope we're all drinking beers and having fun in Yulman, our living rooms, and wherever we need to be watching our Wave come fall. Boy is this social distancing is bringing to light how much we love things we take for granted.
+1000 (So true, especially sports, religion and politics).
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 am
tpstulane wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:32 am
MicMan wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:26 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:49 pm Wimbledon will not be played this year. Announced earlier today.
That’s bizarre. If there ever was a sport that needed no fans it’s tennis.
Could easily play matches on TV with empty stands at the very least. Players are far away from one another as is the umpire.
You know better than that. The dozens of personnel needed to operate a professional tournament -- facilities, food, medical, security, coaches, where to house players, etc etc. And that's not counting the people needed on the TV side. It's not plausible.
You wouldn’t need any of that other support staff. This is an individual sport. Players have to be tested before qualifying. Temp’s taken before the start of each match. You of course lock the gates. Necessary Medical personal to wear personal protection. Food is not an issue with no fans. Boxed lunches. Players can bring what they need including drinks. To me it’s looks like they canceled this early to be politically correct. TV ratings would be the tournament’s highest ever.

https://vm.tiktok.com/tU3XNM/
Temps are irrelevant. You would need to sequester all players, officials, support staff, camera people, producers etc. for 14 days. Test everyone each day. Fly all these people in. Then if one person came up positive Once it starts, the whole tourney would unravel. About 15 tennis tourneys have been canceled costing the tour and players millions. Do you believe the promotors and tour officials have assessed the financial cost benefit? The same largely can be said about the pga tour. The one exception so far is the WWE. Even the ultra aggressive UFC couldn’t get it done.
I thought it was political correctness. However it was all about the Benjamin’s.

Wimbledon’s Pandemic Hedge
Darren Rovell, sports business reporter at Action Network, shared the following:
Wimbledon reportedly paid $2 million a year for pandemic insurance for the last 17 years.
(Total: $34 Million)

For this year's cancellation as a result of the Coronavirus, Wimbledon will reportedly receive $141 million from the policy.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

Who will be the more challenging opponent? Northwestern or Miss St?

On the one hand Miss St probably has more talent but it's a first year Leach and will be game 4 so we'll have seen them against NC St and Arkansas. Plus we play them right before they play A&M, Bama, LSU all in a row.....perfect time to catch them snoozing.

On the other hand we'll play Northwestern on the road in game two where we could be overhyped after beating SELA. Northwestern opens against Mich St, not sure who wins that one (Sparty with a new head coach, NW coming off a 3-9 year).

It's gonna be interesting to see how missing the spring training will affect these early season games. I honestly like our chances in both games.

I feel like Leach's air raid really requires the right players and it will take him a season or two to get all the pieces in place. For that reason I say the Northwestern game will be more challenging.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We face more of these guys than I would like ( Gabriel @ UCF, Beady White @ Memphis, Shane B @ SMU, Costello @ miss state ).

Top 25 returning QB’s:
https://247sports.com/college/smu/LongF ... 45937290_6
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:51 am Who will be the more challenging opponent? Northwestern or Miss St?

On the one hand Miss St probably has more talent but it's a first year Leach and will be game 4 so we'll have seen them against NC St and Arkansas. Plus we play them right before they play A&M, Bama, LSU all in a row.....perfect time to catch them snoozing.

On the other hand we'll play Northwestern on the road in game two where we could be overhyped after beating SELA. Northwestern opens against Mich St, not sure who wins that one (Sparty with a new head coach, NW coming off a 3-9 year).

It's gonna be interesting to see how missing the spring training will affect these early season games. I honestly like our chances in both games.

I feel like Leach's air raid really requires the right players and it will take him a season or two to get all the pieces in place. For that reason I say the Northwestern game will be more challenging.
I think N'western is more beatable than State.... I do not think the team speed at N'western is close to the speed they have in Starkvegas...besides, Fizgerald has been the coach there for several years, so ya know what ya gonna get...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

No doubt the NFL and College Football will do all they can to at least play on TV and in empty stadiums. Every player would have to be Covid tested the night before, if not that morning--unless they already had it. It's possible that some fans could be let in the stadium as long as they are seated far apart--which wouldn't pose that big a problem for most Tulane games. Here's hoping they get something figured out.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
MicMan
Swell

Students have filed a class-action suit against Jerry Falwell Jr. and Liberty University, saying re-opening the school exposed them to the virus. Colleges will have to indemnify all involved before any kickoffs. ADs and presidents are already considering that.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Just heard on the local NBC news that the NCAA is strongly considering moving the entire football season to the spring. How weird would that be?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:13 am Just heard on the local NBC news that the NCAA is strongly considering moving the entire football season to the spring. How weird would that be?
Just imagine if Tulane moved all home games to night time. Wave baseball in the afternoon, more tailgating, and Wave football at 6 PM!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It would be different but sure better than nothing. 7;00 kick-offs would be great. Our baseball game this year were taking almost 4 hours. Gives fans a chance to mingle and relax before the start of the next event.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ESPN, (and the deuce) which has a big say in when our games start, generally has games start at 7 and 9 PM EST. The games that are Internet broadcasts and ESPNU often start in between or after those times.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Plenty of room there for our fans preferred 7:00 start time.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's 11,050 D1 football players on the rosters of 130 teams. Plus we have another approximately 1300 coaches. If one of those players or coaches, just one, gets the COVID 19 virus and dies. That University gets sued and the season ends immediately. Likewise, if the classes are not back on campus, the season doesn't start. August 1st is really the deadline. Will we have enough testing by then? Remember, we're talking about 13,350 that need at minimum weekly tests starting the last week in July at their home locations. And the entire group needs to stay virus free for 4-5 months to get the season in the fall.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:38 am There's 11,050 D1 football players on the rosters of 130 teams. Plus we have another approximately 1300 coaches. If one of those players or coaches, just one, gets the COVID 19 virus and dies. That University gets sued and the season ends immediately. Likewise, if the classes are not back on campus, the season doesn't start. August 1st is really the deadline. Will we have enough testing by then? Remember, we're talking about 13,350 that need at minimum weekly tests starting the last week in July at their home locations. And the entire group needs to stay virus free for 4-5 months to get the season in the fall.
This virus is here forever. People will continue to die from this virus forever. At some point you have to decide to live and take some risk. Lawsuits are here forever. People are already suing for just acquiring it. If the government gives the green light and schools don’t re-open they will be sued for not opening. I know someone who is suing to get their tuition back because they didn’t sign up for home schooling. You give players the option of returning on their own. If they are fearful give them their freedom and let them stay home. If a player wants to risk it then give them their freedom to play. Do players sue the school for injuries? I guess there’s nothing to stop them. Do players sue the school when they die at practice for other health reasons? Nothing stopping that either. Life involves certain risks. I’m more likely to die in a car crash every time I get in a car. I know the risk so I’m going to continue to get into cars to travel. People that smoke know the risks from smoking yet they still still smoke. In fact smokers sued the tobacco companies and won billions anyway.
If we had a game this weekend I go and enjoy it without a mask and gloves. I’d rather risk getting it then stay home quarantined. That’s just me.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:40 am
DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:38 am There's 11,050 D1 football players on the rosters of 130 teams. Plus we have another approximately 1300 coaches. If one of those players or coaches, just one, gets the COVID 19 virus and dies. That University gets sued and the season ends immediately. Likewise, if the classes are not back on campus, the season doesn't start. August 1st is really the deadline. Will we have enough testing by then? Remember, we're talking about 13,350 that need at minimum weekly tests starting the last week in July at their home locations. And the entire group needs to stay virus free for 4-5 months to get the season in the fall.
This virus is here forever. People will continue to die from this virus forever. At some point you have to decide to live and take some risk. Lawsuits are here forever. People are already suing for just acquiring it. If the government gives the green light and schools don’t re-open they will be sued for not opening. I know someone who is suing to get their tuition back because they didn’t sign up for home schooling. You give players the option of returning on their own. If they are fearful give them their freedom and let them stay home. If a player wants to risk it then give them their freedom to play. Do players sue the school for injuries? I guess there’s nothing to stop them. Do players sue the school when they die at practice for other health reasons? Nothing stopping that either. Life involves certain risks. I’m more likely to die in a car crash every time I get in a car. I know the risk so I’m going to continue to get into cars to travel. People that smoke know the risks from smoking yet they still still smoke. In fact smokers sued the tobacco companies and won billions anyway.
If we had a game this weekend I go and enjoy it without a mask and gloves. I’d rather risk getting it then stay home quarantined. That’s just me.
What a long list of strawman arguments. How about we keep isolating and assess? There are really only two option 1) immunization 2) effective treatment. Otherwise we are screwed.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tim, the answer to most of your questions about lawsuits is "YES".

To my knowledge, there has been no quarantine ordered anywhere. There's been stay at home recommendations, travel restrictions, and guidelines. I've gotten out of my apartment close to every day, and typically shop once or twice a week. But I do wear a mask when I shop and I try to keep at least 6 feet from others. They've gone to one way aisles in the bigger grocery stores up here and it's incredible how many people go the wrong way despite constant messages over the intercom and huge arrows on the floor. People either don't care or are just stupid. The reckless will endanger all of us.

Has social distancing helped flatten the curve? No doubt. But the Governors, medical experts and business leaders are pretty much united with concern that getting back to "normal" too soon will erase the gains we've made.

Yes, there will always be risks. But you need not be foolish. I hope to hell we are back to normal in time for football season, even if played without fans in the stands. But you cannot tell me that it would make sense to play a contact sport if we're telling students it's not safe to gather in a classroom.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 am Tim, the answer to most of your questions about lawsuits is "YES".

To my knowledge, there has been no quarantine ordered anywhere. There's been stay at home recommendations, travel restrictions, and guidelines. I've gotten out of my apartment close to every day, and typically shop once or twice a week. But I do wear a mask when I shop and I try to keep at least 6 feet from others. They've gone to one way aisles in the bigger grocery stores up here and it's incredible how many people go the wrong way despite constant messages over the intercom and huge arrows on the floor. People either don't care or are just stupid. The reckless will endanger all of us.

Has social distancing helped flatten the curve? No doubt. But the Governors, medical experts and business leaders are pretty much united with concern that getting back to "normal" too soon will erase the gains we've made.

Yes, there will always be risks. But you need not be foolish. I hope to hell we are back to normal in time for football season, even if played without fans in the stands. But you cannot tell me that it would make sense to play a contact sport if we're telling students it's not safe to gather in a classroom.
There have been arrests made. A guy on the beach in Cali was arrested. A guy here in NOLA was arrested for organizing a street parade. 7 people were arrested for gathering for a religious service. The governor in Michigan is telling you what you can and can’t buy at supermarkets. People are being arrested around the country for violating local official stay at home rules.
Like I said the virus is here forever at some point people need to go on living before we go into a depression. They may never ever be a vaccine.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:19 am
DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 am Tim, the answer to most of your questions about lawsuits is "YES".

There have been arrests made. A guy on the beach in Cali was arrested. A guy here in NOLA was arrested for organizing a street parade. 7 people were arrested for gathering for a religious service. People are being arrested around the country for violating local official stay at home rules.
Like I said the virus is here forever at some point people need to go on living before we go into a depression. . They may never ever be a vaccine.
some arrest were made in Ft Worth...seems some of the locals want to have a basketball tournament...so almost two hundred showed up to play. .City Officials then too a hackasaw the basketball goals...not sure if and when they may be replaced
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:25 am

There have been arrests made. A guy on the beach in Cali was arrested. A guy here in NOLA was arrested for organizing a street parade. 7 people were arrested for gathering for a religious service. People are being arrested around the country for violating local official stay at home rules.
Like I said the virus is here forever at some point people need to go on living before we go into a depression. . They may never ever be a vaccine.
some arrest were made in Ft Worth...seems some of the locals want to have a basketball tournament...so almost two hundred showed up to play. .City Officials then too a hackasaw the basketball goals...not sure if and when they may be replaced
It sounds like arrests were made for disregarding the social gathering restrictions, or going to a public place that is closed. There's a difference between that and a quarantine. Show me a quarantine order in any state, please. I think the closest thing to a quarantine is some municipalities have curfews.

Here in Stamford, a family had a gathering of about 2 dozen outside on their front lawn. It was Easter Sunday. They were partying and taking selfies and from the number of cars, it was clear this group did not live in the same household. Neighbors called the police, who didn't make arrests, but dispersed the party. Like I said, some people are reckless or just plain dumb.

I totally get that we need to get going again to avoid a recession turning into a depression. But it needs to be done carefully so as to not destroy the ground gained in the past month with social distancing.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:58 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:25 am

It sounds like arrests were made for disregarding the social gathering restrictions, or going to a public place that is closed. There's a difference between that and a quarantine. Show me a quarantine order in any state, please. I think the closest thing to a quarantine is some municipalities have curfews.

Here in Stamford, a family had a gathering of about 2 dozen outside on their front lawn. It was Easter Sunday. They were partying and taking selfies and from the number of cars, it was clear this group did not live in the same household. Neighbors called the police, who didn't make arrests, but dispersed the party. Like I said, some people are reckless or just plain dumb.

I totally get that we need to get going again to avoid a recession turning into a depression. But it needs to be done carefully so as to not destroy the ground gained in the past month with social distancing.
If I want to travel (fly or drive) from Louisiana to Texas to visit my relatives in MidIand I have to quarantine for 14 days once I cross the state line in TX before I can risk exposing them.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/covidtravel/

LATEST UPDATES:

(DPS, March 31, 2020) Additional Locations Added to Quarantine Mandates for Air Travelers Coming into Texas, Road Travel from Louisiana Now Impacted
(Office of Governor, March 29, 2020) Executive Order GA-12, Governor Abbott Issues Executive Orders to Expand Quarantines and Protect Public Safety [In this order, the Governor mandated a 14-day quarantine for road travelers arriving in Texas from any location in Louisiana. View a PDF copy of the Executive Order.]
Tulane Class of 1981