Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Carolyn Scofield, a Twitter friend and Tulane student, tested positive for COVID. Here she describes her symptoms and how she attempted to treat herself at home.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Trump tells the media he hopes to open the country by Easter. Talk about "fake news"!!

We're 8-12 weeks from peaking, using models of other countries, most of whom were quicker to react at the outset than the US. In the past few days, the "doubling rate" (how quickly we double the number of positive tested cases) has gone from 3 days to 2 days. A good portion of that has to deal with more testing. That said, local CDC predicts there's 100 times more cases than reported. It's still going to get worse before it gets better.

Thank God our golf courses are open (even though there's limitations).
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:08 am Trump tells the media he hopes to open the country by Easter. Talk about "fake news"!!

We're 8-12 weeks from peaking, using models of other countries, most of whom were quicker to react at the outset than the US. In the past few days, the "doubling rate" (how quickly we double the number of positive tested cases) has gone from 3 days to 2 days. A good portion of that has to deal with more testing. That said, local CDC predicts there's 100 times more cases than reported. It's still going to get worse before it gets better.

Key word “ HOPE”
People are looking for HOPE. Trump’s Easter Sunday gives them a goal to shoot for. He’s trying to shine a bright spot and give people hope that want to return to some normalcy. People that have it or had it are now immune. Even those that showed no symptoms. Certainly NY and a few other hot spots that may not be possible. But imagine the despair if he said we will wait for a proven vaccine before people can come back to normality. For all we know we may have already peaked. Because we don’t know how many had it already or currently have it but had or have mild or no symptoms that require no medical attention. Easter Sunday for most of the country is a reasonable goal. If your old or in bad health by all means stay home and wait 18 months for a proven vaccine.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Other countries peaked 12-14 weeks after they started isolating. Why would the US peak in 2-3 weeks? The CDC and most infectious control experts say we are still a couple of months from peaking. Giving hope is one thing. Spreading false news is another. He did it at the outset, and it hurt us because a large percentage of folks took his "hoax" statement seriously. Now he might upset a potential derail our social isolation could succeed with. Easter is unrealistic.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:40 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:08 am Trump tells the media he hopes to open the country by Easter. Talk about "fake news"!!

Key word “ HOPE”
People are looking for HOPE. Trump’s Easter Sunday gives them a goal to shoot for. He’s trying to shine a bright spot and give people hope that want to return to some normalcy. People that have it or had it are now immune. Even those that showed no symptoms. Certainly NY and a few other hot spots that may not be possible. But imagine the despair if he said we will wait for a proven vaccine before people can come back to normality. For all we know we may have already peaked. Because we don’t know how many had it already or currently have it but had or have mild or no symptoms that require no medical attention. Easter Sunday for most of the country is a reasonable goal. If your old or in bad health by all means stay home and wait 18 months for a proven vaccine.
Exactly Trump is trying to give HOPE.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mandeville Wave wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:40 am

Key word “ HOPE”
Exactly Trump is trying to give HOPE.
" We have nothing to fear, but fear itself, and Nancy Pelosi"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

So, 2.5 weeks ago it was a "hoax". Now it's something to look at in the rear view mirror? Glad to see our country, which was one of the slowest in the world to respond to the threat, become the quickest to "peak" and get through this. Wow, especially given the lack of needed respirators (and I'd love to see Trump try to spend a day on one, it's extremely un-pleasant) and medical grade masks, anti-virus suits, etc, that's one hell of an accomplishment. If a second wave hits after he "re-opens the country", he's toast come November.

I fear Trump more than I fear the Covid-19. You can tell he's lying (or making shit up) when his lips are moving.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:19 am So, 2.5 weeks ago it was a "hoax". Now it's something to look at in the rear view mirror? Glad to see our country, which was one of the slowest in the world to respond to the threat, become the quickest to "peak" and get through this. Wow, especially given the lack of needed respirators (and I'd love to see Trump try to spend a day on one, it's extremely un-pleasant) and medical grade masks, anti-virus suits, etc, that's one hell of an accomplishment. If a second wave hits after he "re-opens the country", he's toast come November.

I fear Trump more than I fear the Covid-19. You can tell he's lying (or making shit up) when his lips are moving.
sum serious lip movements.."I did not have sexual realtions with that woman, Miss Lewinski"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 89511.html
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:19 am So, 2.5 weeks ago it was a "hoax". Now it's something to look at in the rear view mirror? Glad to see our country, which was one of the slowest in the world to respond to the threat, become the quickest to "peak" and get through this. Wow, especially given the lack of needed respirators (and I'd love to see Trump try to spend a day on one, it's extremely un-pleasant) and medical grade masks, anti-virus suits, etc, that's one hell of an accomplishment. If a second wave hits after he "re-opens the country", he's toast come November.

Wrong.
He never called the virus a hoax. He called the Democrats claim of his lack of response another Democratic hoax. This is widely known.
Fact checked.
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trump ... -new-hoax/
Trump said that when he used the word “hoax,” he was referring to Democrats finding fault with his administration’s response to coronavirus, not the virus itself.

Even after Trump explained his remarks, some Democrats — including former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg — continued to wrongly accuse Trump of describing the coronavirus as a “hoax.”

“A virus starts in China, bleeds its way into various countries all around the world, Trump said, “and the Democrats’ single talking point, and you see it, is that it’s Donald Trump’s fault, right?”
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

And his lack of response, when the virus was well known in late December, is attributed to???

Whether or not you want to get into the semantics of his calling the virus a hoax or not, his statement was interpreted by a LARGE percent of the population that the virus was a hoax. That caused a lot of our country to not take this seriously. PERIOD.

His lack of being a leader and speaking the truth shines through once again. He's about to undue whatever good we've done to slow the virus down by isoloating. As he's been since elected, The Donald is #notpresidential.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 pm And his lack of response, when the virus was well known in late December, is attributed to???

Whether or not you want to get into the semantics of his calling the virus a hoax or not, his statement was interpreted by a LARGE percent of the population that the virus was a hoax. That caused a lot of our country to not take this seriously. PERIOD.

His lack of being a leader and speaking the truth shines through once again. He's about to undue whatever good we've done to slow the virus down by isoloating. As he's been since elected, The Donald is #notpresidential.
Wrong again. Even CNN has to admit his poll numbers are through the roof because of the way he’s handled the virus fight.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics ... index.html
CNN) Here's an indisputable fact: President Donald Trump is as popular today as he has been since his first day in office.

In a new Gallup poll, 49% approve of the job Trump is doing as president while 45% disapprove, matching the highest his approval rating has ever been in Gallup surveys. A Monmouth University poll released on Monday showed Trump at 46% approval, again the best he has done in that poll in more than three years.What accounts for Trump's rise? Simple: His response to the coronavirus crisis.
In the Gallup poll, 60% of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing in handling the crisis while 38% disapprove of how he has done. Six in 10 independents approve of how Trump has done on the coronavirus as do more than 1 in 4 (27%) of Democrats. In the Monmouth poll, 50% say Trump has done a good job with coronavirus while 45% said he has done a bad job.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:22 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 pm And his lack of response, when the virus was well known in late December, is attributed to???

Wrong again. Even CNN has to admit his poll numbers are through the roof because of the way he’s handled the virus fight.
CNN) Here's an indisputable fact: President Donald Trump is as popular today as he has been since his first day in office.

In a new Gallup poll, 49% approve of the job Trump is doing as president while 45% disapprove, matching the highest his approval rating has ever been in Gallup surveys. A Monmouth University poll released on Monday showed Trump at 46% approval, again the best he has done in that poll in more than three years.What accounts for Trump's rise? Simple: His response to the coronavirus crisis.
In the Gallup poll, 60% of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing in handling the crisis while 38% disapprove of how he has done. Six in 10 independents approve of how Trump has done on the coronavirus as do more than 1 in 4 (27%) of Democrats. In the Monmouth poll, 50% say Trump has done a good job with coronavirus while 45% said he has done a bad job.
Where did I mention approval ratings, Showme? What I mentioned is that his statements have lead to the country not taking the virus seriously, and now that most of us are taking it seriously, his latest statements may lead to a good percentage of the country ruining any gains we've made by stopping social isolation prematurely.

Because people like what he says, and it gives them hope, doesn't make it right. Especially when those that know a HELL of a lot more about this virus than he does are telling us we're a couple of months away from peaking.
MicMan
Swell

Wait, didn't POTUS say we were at 15 cases going to zero? And that the virus was contained?

As long as he promises to continue to do nothing, I will back him 100%.
GreenLantern
Riptide

You know that movie about the tsunami where a bunch of folks were laying on the beach drinking beer and having fun? Then suddenly all the water disappeared. Fish were flopping everywhere. People began laughing and joking about what kind of phenomenon could have caused the water to recede so quickly. Then they saw the 30-50 foot wave. Moments later they were swept out to sea.

Those folks were not stupid, just ignorant. There was no one to tell them a giant wave was coming. No warning.

There are warnings now. You've seen the waters recede with your own eyes. A wave is coming. Get the hell off the beach.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:55 pm You know that movie about the tsunami where a bunch of folks were laying on the beach drinking beer and having fun? Then suddenly all the water disappeared. Fish were flopping everywhere. People began laughing and joking about what kind of phenomenon could have caused the water to recede so quickly. Then they saw the 30-50 foot wave. Moments later they were swept out to sea.

Those folks were not stupid, just ignorant. There was no one to tell them a giant wave was coming. No warning.

There are warnings now. You've seen the waters recede with your own eyes. A wave is coming. Get the hell off the beach.
Great analogy!
GreenLantern
Riptide

And one more thing I would like to add to my earlier post:
If the geodetic engineers warn of an impending tsunami, pay no attention to the politician who wants you to stay and patronize the tiki bar because its good for business.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:17 pm

Where did I mention approval ratings, Showme? What I mentioned is that his statements have lead to the country not taking the virus seriously, and now that most of us are taking it seriously, his latest statements may lead to a good percentage of the country ruining any gains we've made by stopping social isolation prematurely.

Because people like what he says, and it gives them hope, doesn't make it right. Especially when those that know a HELL of a lot more about this virus than he does are telling us we're a couple of months away from peaking.
He took it very serious. Of course you fail to mention that early on he implemented the China travel band and the fact that he got grilled for that shut off from China Democrats calling him racist.
He’s trying to ease the financial burden but can’t get any help from Congress.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:59 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:17 pm

He took it very serious. Of course you fail to mention that early on he implemented the China travel band and the fact that he got grilled for that shut off from China Democrats calling him racist.
He’s trying to ease the financial burden but can’t get any help from Congress.
Yikes, politics playing a role in a sports website amongst friends.
Then playing who is right or wrong, u see the stats for NOLA?

I am in the middle of this nonsense. Talk about fear, you have no idea.

Ya’ll should step back and think before posting.

This is about community and caring at this point.
wave97
Swell

This is a brilliant vacation as far as I'm concerned. I will gladly comply with the "rigors" of social distancing.
In 1917 you woke up with a fever and before the next morning you were drowned by your own body fluids.
The distribution of information is good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Real information about the virus and what Tulane is doing to help combat the virus:

MicMan
Swell

A friend's college in Boston has shifted to a virtual commencement, based on the severity of the NOLA virus outbreak, has TU announced similar?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:57 am This is a brilliant vacation as far as I'm concerned. I will gladly comply with the "rigors" of social distancing.
In 1917 you woke up with a fever and before the next morning you were drowned by your own body fluids.
The distribution of information is good.
Easy for you. .
anEngineer
Riptide

Below is a paper (not yet peer reviewed) from University of Oxford that claims millions may have already had the virus, suffered no effects and are now immune. It believes that for 4 weeks before the first death in the UK, a large proportion of the population, if not a majority, had already been infected. It cites an Italian study of a town near Venice where all 3000 residents were tested and somewhere between 50-75% who were infected had no symptoms at all. I don't want to minimize the danger to many, because it is obviously killing people, but the point is that many of us may have already had it, are now immune and we are hiding from something we can no longer get. The good news, if true, the virus will start running out of people to infect.

https://spectator.us/half-uk-population ... ronavirus/
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:04 pm Below is a paper (not yet peer reviewed) from University of Oxford that claims millions may have already had the virus, suffered no effects and are now immune. It believes that for 4 weeks before the first death in the UK, a large proportion of the population, if not a majority, had already been infected. It cites an Italian study of a town near Venice where all 3000 residents were tested and somewhere between 50-75% who were infected had no symptoms at all. I don't want to minimize the danger to many, because it is obviously killing people, but the point is that many of us may have already had it, are now immune and we are hiding from something we can no longer get. The good news, if true, the virus will start running out of people to infect.

https://spectator.us/half-uk-population ... ronavirus/
Friend of mine is an infectious disease physician and he told me that exact thing. He wouldn’t at all be surprised that at least 1 of every 2 people have been exposed to it already and had minor effects and are already immune to it.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Chernobyl, Succession, Better Call Saul. Thank me later.