ESPN web site

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

becasue I was bored, I visited the ESPN web site...Lo and Behold, a pic of Pete vs Harold Sylvester was front page...ya have to scroll down a little for the pic..but on the web site, it is front and center
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... breakdowns

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

I went to game in Fogelman In 1969 where I think Pete had 66. Fouled out 2-3 Tulane players. Tulane won something like 110-101. So entertaining.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was there too jax Hap Glaudi was the sports anchor on channel 4 back then. The next day he went on and on about Maravich. My mother counted how many times he said Maravich and how many times he said Tulane. She sent him a letter telling him that he had mentioned Maravich 33 times and only mentioned Tulane once. He read the letter on air and apologized.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I may be incorrect, but I think lsu had a losing record against Tulane during the Pete years
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I envy you locals that got to see Tulane athletics as you were growing up. I'm a lifer now, but didn't start paying attention until 1980, arriving as an undergrad in 1981. I'm especially jealous of those of you that got to go to weekly games in the old stadium.

I've seen the video of the 1973 LSU victory dozens of times. What I would love to see, if anyone has it, is a video of the experience of crossing Willow Street and entering the stadium. It might take some digging and some technology to convert to a format to post it, but most of us have a lot of time on our hands.

Pictures posted would be appreciated as well. I cannot get enough of the old stadium (and love the stories you guys tell!)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:42 pm I envy you locals that got to see Tulane athletics as you were growing up. I'm a lifer now, but didn't start paying attention until 1980, arriving as an undergrad in 1981. I'm especially jealous of those of you that got to go to weekly games in the old stadium.

I've seen the video of the 1973 LSU victory dozens of times. What I would love to see, if anyone has it, is a video of the experience of crossing Willow Street and entering the stadium. It might take some digging and some technology to convert to a format to post it, but most of us have a lot of time on our hands.

Pictures posted would be appreciated as well. I cannot get enough of the old stadium (and love the stories you guys tell!)
not too sure how it was crossing willow street in 1973..but crossin' Claiborne from pregame festivities at Friar Tucks was an adventure
billow
High Tide

In 68-69 season Tulane beat LSU in both games. First at LSU’s barn in OT 101-98. Sylvester had 32 points & 22 rebounds. Back in Nawlins in February Tulane beat the tiggers 110-94. Still tease Billy Fitz that he held Pete to only 66 that night. Coach Pedersen was in my uncle’s office earlier that year and told us that Tulane would let Maravich score 60 and shut off everybody else and beat LSU by 15-20 points. Old Ralph was right.
Bigschtick
Riptide

billow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:04 pm In 68-69 season Tulane beat LSU in both games. First at LSU’s barn in OT 101-98. Sylvester had 32 points & 22 rebounds. Back in Nawlins in February Tulane beat the tiggers 110-94. Still tease Billy Fitz that he held Pete to only 66 that night. Coach Pedersen was in my uncle’s office earlier that year and told us that Tulane would let Maravich score 60 and shut off everybody else and beat LSU by 15-20 points. Old Ralph was right.
I vas dare both games!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:09 pm
billow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:04 pm In 68-69 season Tulane beat LSU in both games. First at LSU’s barn in OT 101-98. Sylvester had 32 points & 22 rebounds. Back in Nawlins in February Tulane beat the tiggers 110-94. Still tease Billy Fitz that he held Pete to only 66 that night. Coach Pedersen was in my uncle’s office earlier that year and told us that Tulane would let Maravich score 60 and shut off everybody else and beat LSU by 15-20 points. Old Ralph was right.
I vas dare both games!
Same here. My dad covered both those games. I’ll dig up his scrapbook and post some pics of his original story of the game. I also have the original box score from it. I post a pic of that also. Give me some time.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:09 pm
I vas dare both games!
I made the Feburary game... the first game I was at Ft Jackson SC...a side note, Harold and I share the same birth date
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

5200 in the Tulane Gym for Pete including myself. Great night!

I have the original box score somewhere. When I find it I’ll post a pic.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:05 am 5200 in the Tulane Gym for Pete including myself. Great night!

I have the original box score somewhere. When I find it I’ll post a pic.
The Pic from the newspaper article is the one used by ESPN
MicMan
Swell

hahahaha

LSU should have fed Pistol more...
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just found the original box score
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:49 pm Just found the original box score
two things about the box score...the date of the game, 2/10. was mine and Harolds birthday ! ...there were a total of 150 shots taken, Pete and Arthurs took over half of them !!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:16 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:49 pm Just found the original box score
two things about the box score...the date of the game, 2/10. was mine and Harolds birthday ! ...there were a total of 150 shots taken, Pete and Arthurs took over half of them !!!!
Cool!
My favorite part of that night was warmups. Pistol used to put on a dribbling show in the pre-game and he practice crazy shots including half court hook shots. Then came “Showtime”. Great memories for sure. I loved Pistol but always pulled for Tulane to win.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Dr. Terry Habig had a pretty righteous night: 7 of 14 FGs and 12 of 12 free throws. Those were the days of student athletes.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 am Dr. Terry Habig had a pretty righteous night: 7 of 14 FGs and 12 of 12 free throws. Those were the days of student athletes.
If memory serves, Terry hit a few big FT's very late in the game....note the FG % for both teams..
MicMan
Swell

It;'s sad that Pistol died too young. It's sadder that Tulane still plays in the same gym.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:35 am It;'s sad that Pistol died too young. It's sadder that Tulane still plays in the same gym.
With a capacity of 1500-2000 less than it had back then.

The FG % numbers are eye openers! Someone said Tulane made 22 layups that night. Seems like both teams were playing "matador defense"!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V