Update from TD

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I got the email a few hours ago. What shocked me is that they're seriously considering the possibility of this affecting fall sports (including football.) I pray we're months past the worst of this by the time fall camp opens in August. But you know that all teams face issues with conditioning and not having spring/summer activities with or without coaches that they have every year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

A big concern is that a second wave of this virus will start in the fall once the weather starts to cool which is also when flu season starts.
frpaulnola
Ripple

Let's hope and pray that Chloroquine is safe and effective against Covid-19. If it is, and especially if it is safe as a prophylactic against the virus, then everything will calm down this summer for sure. This med is about 70 years old, so it should be completely safe. Even if it is only partially effective against Covid-19, it will go a long way to salvaging Fall '20 sports.
Roll Wave!
A&S '83
Instructor @ TU 2005
greenie78
Riptide

frpaulnola wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:42 am Let's hope and pray that Chloroquine is safe and effective against Covid-19. If it is, and especially if it is safe as a prophylactic against the virus, then everything will calm down this summer for sure. This med is about 70 years old, so it should be completely safe. Even if it is only partially effective against Covid-19, it will go a long way to salvaging Fall '20 sports.
It’s not that safe and it’s not really used as much in this country. Saying it’s completely safe because it’s old is silly and just speculation. Actually your entire post was complete speculation.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

True results from trials will take a year. But that doesn't mean a "fast tracked" solution wouldn't be FDA approved a whole lot sooner. But it will take time to get vaccine to market, and it will have risks.

Again, this should have been happening in late 2019, or early January at the latest. The current administration (which was calling this a hoax just a few weeks ago) disbanded the Pandemic Response Team in 2018, one week after Trump admitted he had no clue what they did. In other words, the infrastructure that was in place to deal with exactly this type of crisis (though admittedly dormant) was terminated. It was not a significant expense to leave it in place.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:49 am
frpaulnola wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:42 am Let's hope and pray that Chloroquine is safe and effective against Covid-19. If it is, and especially if it is safe as a prophylactic against the virus, then everything will calm down this summer for sure. This med is about 70 years old, so it should be completely safe. Even if it is only partially effective against Covid-19, it will go a long way to salvaging Fall '20 sports.
It’s not that safe and it’s not really used as much in this country. Saying it’s completely safe because it’s old is silly and just speculation. Actually your entire post was complete speculation.
Your post is completely false.
Of course it works and of course it’s safe. FDA wants its own test before releasing it in the US for this purpose. Did you even check the cases of Corona in Africa? Barely a blip. You know why?
Because they are all on Chloroquine to prevent Malaria. But that needs to be proven with further study.
https://theconversation.com/why-are-the ... rica-13359
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:09 am True results from trials will take a year. But that doesn't mean a "fast tracked" solution wouldn't be FDA approved a whole lot sooner. But it will take time to get vaccine to market, and it will have risks.

Again, this should have been happening in late 2019, or early January at the latest. The current administration (which was calling this a hoax just a few weeks ago) disbanded the Pandemic Response Team in 2018, one week after Trump admitted he had no clue what they did. In other words, the infrastructure that was in place to deal with exactly this type of crisis (though admittedly dormant) was terminated. It was not a significant expense to leave it in place.
Of course, the farcical impeachment of President Trump on December 18th and until his acquittal on February 5th effectively paralyzed both the Executive Branch and Congress from focusing on anything else during that period of time and served only to further embitter the two parties to one another.
Show Me
Tsunami

Chloroquine was among the first group of therapies Chinese scientists identified as being effective in curbing the new coronavirus. Clinical trials on about 130 patients demonstrated the drug’s ability to reduce the severity of the illness and speed up virus clearance, according to China’s Ministry of Sciences and Technology.
Chroloquine phosphate was officially recommended on Feb. 19 in the Covid-19 treatment guidelines published by China’s National Health Commission, along with a few other drugs such as AbbVie Inc.’s Kaletra and flu drug arbidol as antiviral treatments for patients. The commission recommended no more than a 10-day course of chloroquine for adult patients at 500mg -- half a gram -- twice a day.
Of course it’s safe and it works.
frpaulnola
Ripple

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:09 am True results from trials will take a year. But that doesn't mean a "fast tracked" solution wouldn't be FDA approved a whole lot sooner. But it will take time to get vaccine to market, and it will have risks.

Please re-read my original post. I am not talking about a vaccine, but a treatment. Your statement: "True results from trials will take a year" only makes sense in terms of vaccine approval, not a treatment.
Roll Wave!
A&S '83
Instructor @ TU 2005
frpaulnola
Ripple

Show Me wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:01 pm
Wow. Speculation? The entire post, heh? "Let's hope and pray...." is not speculation. I think it is a request for hope and prayers. The med was developed in Germany in 1934. For a med to be this old and still in use means it has a strong safety record. Perhaps the following statement could have been worded better. When following the prescribing information, it should be safe, but the problem here is we are looking at an "off label" use for the drug.

Of course it works and of course it’s safe. FDA wants its own test before releasing it in the US for this purpose. Did you even check the cases of Corona in Africa? Barely a blip. You know why?
Because they are all on Chloroquine to prevent Malaria. But that needs to be proven with further study.
I hope what you write in the paragraph above turns out to be true. Of course, it could be that they catch up quickly. Time will tell.
Roll Wave!
A&S '83
Instructor @ TU 2005
Show Me
Tsunami

frpaulnola wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:22 am
Show Me wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:01 pm
Wow. Speculation? The entire post, heh? "Let's hope and pray...." is not speculation. I think it is a request for hope and prayers. The med was developed in Germany in 1934. For a med to be this old and still in use means it has a strong safety record. Perhaps the following statement could have been worded better. When following the prescribing information, it should be safe, but the problem here is we are looking at an "off label" use for the drug.

I hope what you write in the paragraph above turns out to be true. Of course, it could be that they catch up quickly. Time will tell.
Well it’s true in France where it was tested.
https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/frenc ... -duration/