Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

To date, the virus has killed almost as many people in the U.S,. as a week end shooting spree in Chicago

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

Masters golf tournament postponed 'until later'.

https://www.golf.com/news/2020/03/13/20 ... ronavirus/
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:31 am Those that never know they have it can and will pass the virus to people more prone to have problems with it. They'll never know that they gave the virus to a guy sitting next to them that was 60 years old + with other medical issues and that the virus killed him. That's why the sports events have been cancelled.
The group at high risk ,elderly and those with compromised immune systems, have been made aware that they should avoid such events. Just like a fan sitting next to them can give it to them so can a co-worker, someone at the store, a family member or visitor to their home. So they need to take the necessary precautions to protect themselves. The government has made them aware . The government can't protect them 24/7.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

You will know the government is treating this as a serious threat if/when they extend the April 15th tax deadline.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:20 am
DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:31 am Those that never know they have it can and will pass the virus to people more prone to have problems with it. They'll never know that they gave the virus to a guy sitting next to them that was 60 years old + with other medical issues and that the virus killed him. That's why the sports events have been cancelled.
The group at high risk ,elderly and those with compromised immune systems, have been made aware that they should avoid such events. Just like a fan sitting next to them can give it to them so can a co-worker, someone at the store, a family member or visitor to their home. So they need to take the necessary precautions to protect themselves. The government has made them aware . The government can't protect them 24/7.
Exactly. I visit my mom once or so a week she’s 85 and healthy. She told me not to visit her until the virus fear is over. 🤦‍♂️
The news has her petrified.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:59 am
GreenLantern wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:35 pm Although I acknowledge the accuracy of the chart that tps posted, I believe it to be as relevant as one that shows the number of automobile fatalities by people driving Bentleys.

Keep in mid that the number of infections is spreading exponentially. Thirty days from now, if the updated chart is anywhere similar to this one we can all breathe a sigh of relief.
This. For reasons arising out of or relating to politics (and thus won't be specifically referenced), the US was not prepared for this virus and thus are still - to this day - unable to test everyone who wants a test. In contrast, many of the far east countries have caught up on the spread of the virus largely by doing exactly that. As a result, until the US is at a point where anyone in the country could drive 4 hours or less and get a test for the virus without needing to go through the traditional medical process, the US will continue to be chasing the virus instead of having a clear understanding of its spread.
Absolutely correct .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:06 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:20 am
Exactly. I visit my mom once or so a week she’s 85 and healthy. She told me not to visit her until the virus fear is over. 🤦‍♂️
The news has her petrified.
My mom is 85 and healthy too. She is taking reasonable precautions such as not attending a large annual luncheon today that she has gone to for years . Otherwise she's bummed out that other smaller activities she participates in are being canceled too.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just saw someone who has connections to that nursing home in WA say that the places AVERAGES 7 deaths a month. Its not well run, not very clean, etc. So, write off the nursing home as an anomaly, and what do you have? TWELVE deaths, in a country of 327 MILLION. More than that died from drunk drivers LAST NIGHT.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:35 pm Although I acknowledge the accuracy of the chart that tps posted, I believe it to be as relevant as one that shows the number of automobile fatalities by people driving Bentleys.

Keep in mid that the number of infections is spreading exponentially. Thirty days from now, if the updated chart is anywhere similar to this one we can all breathe a sigh of relief.
This. For reasons arising out of or relating to politics (and thus won't be specifically referenced), the US was not prepared for this virus and thus are still - to this day - unable to test everyone who wants a test. In contrast, many of the far east countries have caught up on the spread of the virus largely by doing exactly that. As a result, until the US is at a point where anyone in the country could drive 4 hours or less and get a test for the virus without needing to go through the traditional medical process, the US will continue to be chasing the virus instead of having a clear understanding of its spread.
Not sure where you're getting your info from. Less than 400,000 tests have been done WORLDWIDE as of 5 days ago. Sure doesn't look like "everyone in those far east countries" can get tested if they choose. Can we try and keep this discussion to pure facts instead of injecting our individual political bias into our comments?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... 9-testing/
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Whether it gets as bad as some fear, or is more of a media blow up as most of us hope, I hope and pray that all of you and your families are safe and uninfected. Lets all be here to watch the Wave roll through the AAC this coming fall.

And as another poster turned me on to this movie, I think if you're willing to spend $4 on Amazon, "Passing Glory" is a good watch to kill a couple of hours of cabin fever.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:17 am

Not sure where you're getting your info from. Less than 400,000 tests have been done WORLDWIDE as of 5 days ago. Sure doesn't look like "everyone in those far east countries" can get tested if they choose. Can we try and keep this discussion to pure facts instead of injecting our individual political bias into our comments?

For clarification, this doesn’t refute anything in the quoted post.
GreenLantern
Riptide

96 hours ago there was one case of COVID in Louisiana. Now there are 77. Assuming there is adequate testing to confirm the number of infected cases, at this rate by Wednesday there should be over 200.

I just got back from the neighborhood grocery (one of the mini-WalMart-food stores). No milk. No juice. No bread. Little remaining meat. No canned soup. No paper products. Just about all aisles had no more than 25% remaining stock. The cashier who checked me out (I bought a bottle of scotch and a chocolate cake) told me that the moment a national emergency was declared, people became irrational and began hoarding. I'm afraid the world as we knew it a couple months ago (when we were angry at the unavailability of Popeye's chicken sandwiches) is gone, perhaps for months. Perhaps *gasp* even longer.

If ever there was a time when we needed sports to distract us from the harsh reality of the world, it is now. Unfortunately...
HoustonWave
Tsunami

There is a real quick cure to the hoarding by the mindless masses—pricing. Suppliers should immediately double prices. See how badly somebody wants that 100th roll of toilet paper. Politicians and consumer advocates could hardly allege price gouging for any product that can’t stay on the shelves. Once the hoarding stops, prices go back to normal.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:46 am There is a real quick cure to the hoarding by the mindless masses—pricing. Suppliers should immediately double prices. See how badly somebody wants that 100th roll of toilet paper. Politicians and consumer advocates could hardly allege price gouging for any product that can’t stay on the shelves. Once the hoarding stops, prices go back to normal.
You accurately named your strategy as Price Gouging. And it IS ILLEGAL.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:51 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:46 am There is a real quick cure to the hoarding by the mindless masses—pricing. Suppliers should immediately double prices. See how badly somebody wants that 100th roll of toilet paper. Politicians and consumer advocates could hardly allege price gouging for any product that can’t stay on the shelves. Once the hoarding stops, prices go back to normal.
Laws that are very vague as written,‘and even more so in their application and enforcement. Such laws should not apply to hoarded items. Good luck to any DA or Atty General trying to enforce a price gouging claim on items being hoarded. Higher pricing will give all consumers access to the needed items.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:00 am
Laws that are very vague as written,‘and even more so in their application and enforcement. Such laws should not apply to hoarded items. Good luck to any DA or Atty General trying to enforce a price gouging claim on items being hoarded. Higher pricing will give all consumers access to the needed items.
I don't know the law in Louisiana (or Texas), but in CT when a state of emergency was declared, the Gov. announced that there were 2 primary reasons for doing so: 1. to be able to enforce the no price gouging laws and 2. to be able to enforce quarantines. Individual cities/towns/municipalities had done so a couple of days earlier.

A much better solution than price gouging is the stores limiting quantities and enforcing the limits at check out. Most supermarkets have limited the number of packages of items such as ground beef, chicken, paper towels, toilet papers, etc. Are the shelves stocked as normal? Hell no. But you can get what you need. What nobody needs is for the stores to take advantage of the situation as you suggest. It's a horrible attempt to make things work in a time where a significant percentage of the population has lost all income. Your suggested response is idiotic and elitist.

And by the way: Our gas prices have gone down 15 cents/gallon in the past week despite just about everyone filling their tanks. Folks just aren't driving much these days.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:20 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:00 am
I don't know the law in Louisiana (or Texas), but in CT when a state of emergency was declared, the Gov. announced that there were 2 primary reasons for doing so: 1. to be able to enforce the no price gouging laws and 2. to be able to enforce quarantines. Individual cities/towns/municipalities had done so a couple of days earlier.

A much better solution than price gouging is the stores limiting quantities and enforcing the limits at check out. Most supermarkets have limited the number of packages of items such as ground beef, chicken, paper towels, toilet papers, etc. Are the shelves stocked as normal? Hell no. But you can get what you need. What nobody needs is for the stores to take advantage of the situation as you suggest. It's a horrible attempt to make things work in a time where a significant percentage of the population has lost all income. Your suggested response is idiotic and elitist.

And by the way: Our gas prices have gone down 15 cents/gallon in the past week despite just about everyone filling their tanks. Folks just aren't driving much these days.
Efforts to limit purchases is simply not working. What’s idiotic to keep doing the same thing that obviously doesn’t work. And their is a big difference between raising prices because of irrational panicking, as opposed to price gouging on clearly needed items (think blue roof tarps after a hurricane). I’m hardly surprised that Connecticut or other northeastern states would steer away from free market solutions.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:45 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:17 am

For clarification, this doesn’t refute anything in the quoted post.
I wasn't referring to the original post, but your comment. And the far east countries are NOT ABLE to test anyone who chooses. That's not factual.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

But our country, which should have been ahead of the curve, was WAY behind the curve in having tests available. It started at the top when The Donald made the idiotic statement that the Coronavirus was more of a hoax than any threat.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Rational thoughts for an irrational world:

Hoarding grocery items:
Grocers could sell two bundles of toilet tissue for a deeply discounted price. Buy more than two? Double the regular price. More than 5...triple the price. Problem solved. Quantity pricing is very legal, but it is usually applied in the reverse manner. It lacks the negative connotations of rationing and it throttles the demand of foolish hoarders.

Cheap gasoline:
It's going to get much worse before it gets better. With the Saudis and the Russians duking it out in an oil price war, markets will continue to erode. Don't be surprised at $1.50 per gallon gasoline. This has the unfortunate side effect of killing American shale production. Remember the oil patch crash of the 80s? Just as America has regained energy independence and has become the planet's top oil producer, and at the same time the world is entering a crisis of biblical proportions, our friends (Saudis and Ruskis) decide to contribute to the worldwide financial melee by knowingly crashing the energy markets and hastening a worldwide recession. Fork them. There is absolutely nothing that is in the best interest of America that is favored by Russia's ruling elite.

Separating political ideologies with discussion of the covid pandemic.
A recent Post article documented the differences between Republicans and Democrats....particularly older Republicans who tend to believe this entire issue is grossly overstated. The solution? Don't get your pandemic information from either MSNBC or Fox. Don't rely on Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity for directions on how to protect your family (even though one of those two is a Rhodes scholar and the other is a college dropout). Go to the same folks that taught your forebears that the world wasn't flat: scientists. Rely on the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control. Any info from the red side or the blue side that counters the scientists is not worth the newspaper or the corncobs that we are forced to use in the toilet.

Accept reality.
Commit to staying home as much as possible for the next 10 days. Then decide if you need to self-quarantine for another 10 days. Go outside your home to conduct necessary business only...groceries, drug stores, etc. Minimize the spiraling increase of the virus and help assure that our healthcare system is not overloaded. What's that? This would be terrible for small business? You're right. But imagine how terrible it will be for them if we become another Italy. Keep in mind that your grandparents were called to war to protect our country. You are being called to sit on your couch. You can do this.

God bless and stay safe out there. Even you, MicMan....take care of yourself.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:01 pm Whether it gets as bad as some fear, or is more of a media blow up as most of us hope, I hope and pray that all of you and your families are safe and uninfected. Lets all be here to watch the Wave roll through the AAC this coming fall.

And as another poster turned me on to this movie, I think if you're willing to spend $4 on Amazon, "Passing Glory" is a good watch to kill a couple of hours of cabin fever.
D...looks like U took my viewing advice, few know it involves Harold Sylvester of St Aug and Jesuit high school, featuring the Mang brothers, one who played at LSU and the other who played for the ATL Braves, who we lost to in the Top 20 tournament in Shreveport in the State Championship...The movie is about the "Unofficial State Championship Game"...no spectators allowed, between the LHSAA and LIALO...the movie will be a little history lesson, for some of our younger posters
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Very depressing not having a sports outlet. After Katrina we still had sports to keep some sanity. Sitting inside most of the day watching TV news is torture. Hopefully everyone here stays healthy during this pandemic.
Roll Wave!
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:40 pm Rational thoughts for an irrational world:

Hoarding grocery items:
Grocers could sell two bundles of toilet tissue for a deeply discounted price. Buy more than two? Double the regular price. More than 5...triple the price. Problem solved. Quantity pricing is very legal, but it is usually applied in the reverse manner. It lacks the negative connotations of rationing and it throttles the demand of foolish hoarders.

Cheap gasoline:
It's going to get much worse before it gets better. With the Saudis and the Russians duking it out in an oil price war, markets will continue to erode. Don't be surprised at $1.50 per gallon gasoline. This has the unfortunate side effect of killing American shale production. Remember the oil patch crash of the 80s? Just as America has regained energy independence and has become the planet's top oil producer, and at the same time the world is entering a crisis of biblical proportions, our friends (Saudis and Ruskis) decide to contribute to the worldwide financial melee by knowingly crashing the energy markets and hastening a worldwide recession. Fork them. There is absolutely nothing that is in the best interest of America that is favored by Russia's ruling elite.

Separating political ideologies with discussion of the covid pandemic.
A recent Post article documented the differences between Republicans and Democrats....particularly older Republicans who tend to believe this entire issue is grossly overstated. The solution? Don't get your pandemic information from either MSNBC or Fox. Don't rely on Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity for directions on how to protect your family (even though one of those two is a Rhodes scholar and the other is a college dropout). Go to the same folks that taught your forebears that the world wasn't flat: scientists. Rely on the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control. Any info from the red side or the blue side that counters the scientists is not worth the newspaper or the corncobs that we are forced to use in the toilet.

Accept reality.
Commit to staying home as much as possible for the next 10 days. Then decide if you need to self-quarantine for another 10 days. Go outside your home to conduct necessary business only...groceries, drug stores, etc. Minimize the spiraling increase of the virus and help assure that our healthcare system is not overloaded. What's that? This would be terrible for small business? You're right. But imagine how terrible it will be for them if we become another Italy. Keep in mind that your grandparents were called to war to protect our country. You are being called to sit on your couch. You can do this.

God bless and stay safe out there. Even you, MicMan....take care of yourself.
Great suggestions Lantern.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:01 am Very depressing not having a sports outlet. After Katrina we still had sports to keep some sanity. Sitting inside most of the day watching TV news is torture. Hopefully everyone here stays healthy during this pandemic.
Roll Wave!
I know I'm panicking early, but I'm increasingly worried about the football season. These pandemics usually involve at least two waves. Even if this first wave is behind us by August, which is by no means guaranteed, the next wave could roll in by next fall. In the 1918 pandemic, it was the second wave that killed the most people.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:47 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:01 am Very depressing not having a sports outlet. After Katrina we still had sports to keep some sanity. Sitting inside most of the day watching TV news is torture. Hopefully everyone here stays healthy during this pandemic.
Roll Wave!
I know I'm panicking early, but I'm increasingly worried about the football season. These pandemics usually involve at least two waves. Even if this first wave is behind us by August, which is by no means guaranteed, the next wave could roll in by next fall. In the 1918 pandemic, it was the second wave that killed the most people.
Anything possible but the Experts say earliest peak of new cases around April 14
Tulane Class of 1981