Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If the CDC and Congressional Medical Staff are correct, somewhere between 20-33% of our population will contract the virus. Keep in mind, there's likely tens of thousands infected right now that have no idea, and will not know they have the virus until they've infected a whole lot of others.

Could the CDC be wrong? Absolutely, but it isn't just something the media has created. They fuel the flames, but this has potential to be similar to the Spanish Flu of 1918-1920.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
austxwave
High Tide

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you can be infected but not have symptoms.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

austxwave wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:31 pm Correct me if i'm wrong, but you can be infected but not have symptoms.
You are 100% right. The incubation period is typically 5-14 days. If you touch something that someone with the virus has breathed on (even if they don't feel sick and have no symptoms) you have a chance of contracting the virus. Coughing and sneezing, even from people that are relatively healthy and may never know they had the virus, spreads the germs even more rapidly.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Since this will be around for the unforeseeable future, let's keep discussion about COVID-19 here. I'm not talking about its effects, such as seasons getting cancelled/postponed. Just the virus itself.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
GreenLantern
Riptide

Although I acknowledge the accuracy of what tps posted, I believe it to be as relevant as one that shows the number of automobile fatalities by people driving Bentleys.

Keep in mid that the number of infections is spreading exponentially. Thirty days from now, if it is anywhere similar to this we can all breathe a sigh of relief.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Italy is a good example for what happens when you are reactive vs proactive. You go from 100 to 1000 to 10,000 in a couple weeks.
NotJtS
Low Tide

GreenLantern
Riptide

Is this the appropriate thread? Should there be another for discussing the effects of the pandemic...specifically in the sporting world?
Bigschtick
Riptide

Just heard students told to move out of dormitories
Who will pay for them to stay in town? What will foreign students do? I would be very pissed
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:38 pm Just heard students told to move out of dormitories
Who will pay for them to stay in town? What will foreign students do? I would be very pissed
They're being sent home. Classes will only take place via the Internet for the rest of the semester, and will resume (on the Internet) on March 23.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:35 pm Although I acknowledge the accuracy of the chart that tps posted, I believe it to be as relevant as one that shows the number of automobile fatalities by people driving Bentleys.

Keep in mid that the number of infections is spreading exponentially. Thirty days from now, if the updated chart is anywhere similar to this one we can all breathe a sigh of relief.
At this point I’m more interested in death toll stats and avg age of those that don’t survive. I fully expect the virus count to grow once testing begins, no question there but will the death rate grow % wise based on those newly discovered infected people. I understand the concern and seriousness for the elderly and those with compromised immune conditions. If I was in that group I would definitely avoid crowds and contact with the general public. But for now I will continue to eat out, go to the gym, go to the movies and bars. Corona is serious but it doesn’t scare me health wise but I am concerned about a potential financial collapse due to a major recession trying to prevent further spread of a virus that won’t kill me.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

It’s gonna cause issues with people in their 40s-50s as well.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 pm It’s gonna cause issues with people in their 40s-50s as well.
Not yet less than 1% death rate combined.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ographics/
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I highly recommend the Joe Rogan podcast with an expert from U Minnesota and Mayo Clinic that was linked above. Listen to 5 minutes and then weigh in. Here it is again. Here are a few highlights:
This will be 10x-15x worse than the worst flu season ever.
This ain’t a blizzard (snows for 2-3 days and we recover), exponential growth And many factors make this a WINTER (this will go on for 3-6 MONTHS). Buckle up

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Where the virus first started China is now getting closer to being back to normal. (Only 8 new cases last report)
All of Apple’s stores in China are set to open Friday

All of Apple’s stores in China are set to open on Friday after the virus outbreak forced a prolonged closure of its retail locations. The U.S. technology giant has 42 stores in China and while all have opened their doors, some are operating on limited hours.

In early February, Apple shut down all its stores in mainland China. Arjun Kharpal

China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said this Friday.

“The resumption of work rate outside Hubei province for industrial enterprises larger than a certain scale has surpassed 95% on average, with employees returning to work at an average rate of 80%”, — Evelyn Cheng
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Put in perspective
World population today est 7.8 billion

Latest from the W.H.O.
Global cases: 125,288
Global deaths: 4,614,
US cases: 1,663, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

Your chance of getting it .016
Your chance of dying from it .00059
(Only 19 cases here in La so far diagnosed.)

Last report I saw those that did catch it 80% have a mild case.
Yes it will continue to spread until a vaccine or a viral medicine can slow the spread. It may peak before then with the change to a warmer climate.
I’m more worried about the economy and job loss due to the precautions taken.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:25 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:35 pm Although I acknowledge the accuracy of the chart that tps posted, I believe it to be as relevant as one that shows the number of automobile fatalities by people driving Bentleys.

Keep in mid that the number of infections is spreading exponentially. Thirty days from now, if the updated chart is anywhere similar to this one we can all breathe a sigh of relief.
At this point I’m more interested in death toll stats and avg age of those that don’t survive. I fully expect the virus count to grow once testing begins, no question there but will the death rate grow % wise based on those newly discovered infected people. I understand the concern and seriousness for the elderly and those with compromised immune conditions. If I was in that group I would definitely avoid crowds and contact with the general public. But for now I will continue to eat out, go to the gym, go to the movies and bars. Corona is serious but it doesn’t scare me health wise but I am concerned about a potential financial collapse due to a major recession trying to prevent further spread of a virus that won’t kill me.
Plus we'll never know the real numbers on this. Many have already had it and recovered without any medical treatment due to the mildness of the symptoms in most cases so of course they were never tested. Going forward many more will be in that class. So the numbers will never be accurate.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:51 am I highly recommend the Joe Rogan podcast with an expert from U Minnesota and Mayo Clinic that was linked above. Listen to 5 minutes and then weigh in. Here it is again. Here are a few highlights:
This will be 10x-15x worse than the worst flu season ever.
This ain’t a blizzard (snows for 2-3 days and we recover), exponential growth And many factors make this a WINTER (this will go on for 3-6 MONTHS). Buckle up

Smart guy but known for being one that can go over the top with things to put it nicely. Told to me by an expert in the field that is also a medical detective.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:45 am
Plus we'll never know the real numbers on this. Many have already had it and recovered without any medical treatment due to the mildness of the symptoms in most cases so of course they were never tested. Going forward many more will be in that class. So the numbers will never be accurate.
Exactly. And all those cases where people had it, recovered and were never tested would only bring the death rate lower and lower, so the media will never mention that fact.
Latest from the W.H.O.
To expand on that, the numbers above give a death rate of 3.7%. Now, suppose that 125,288 is really 425,288. You get a death rate of 1.1%. Still higher than the flu, but not apocalyptic by any means. The bulk of the damage to the economy and especially small businesses will be DIRECTLY the fault of the MSM.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:02 am
winwave wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:45 am
Exactly. And all those cases where people had it, recovered and were never tested would only bring the death rate lower and lower, so the media will never mention that fact.
Latest from the W.H.O.
To expand on that, the numbers above give a death rate of 3.7%. Now, suppose that 125,288 is really 425,288. You get a death rate of 1.1%. Still higher than the flu, but not apocalyptic by any means. The bulk of the damage to the economy and especially small businesses will be DIRECTLY the fault of the MSM.
Exactly the point I’m trying to achieve.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Those that never know they have it can and will pass the virus to people more prone to have problems with it. They'll never know that they gave the virus to a guy sitting next to them that was 60 years old + with other medical issues and that the virus killed him. That's why the sports events have been cancelled.
greenie78
Riptide

You guys are so clueless. Seriously. We haven’t seen anything yet and those numbers aren’t accurate at all because of the lack of testing here and in other countries. Sure the majority of people will have limited symptoms, but those people will be able to infect so many more prone to serious symptoms. Plus, no readily testing available, no vaccine, and no medication to treat unlike the flu which has all three. This virus will get much worse here before it gets better.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

This. For reasons arising out of or relating to politics (and thus won't be specifically referenced), the US was not prepared for this virus and thus are still - to this day - unable to test everyone who wants a test. In contrast, many of the far east countries have caught up on the spread of the virus largely by doing exactly that. As a result, until the US is at a point where anyone in the country could drive 4 hours or less and get a test for the virus without needing to go through the traditional medical process, the US will continue to be chasing the virus instead of having a clear understanding of its spread.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:59 am

This. For reasons arising out of or relating to politics (and thus won't be specifically referenced), the US was not prepared for this virus and thus are still - to this day - unable to test everyone who wants a test. In contrast, many of the far east countries have caught up on the spread of the virus largely by doing exactly that. As a result, until the US is at a point where anyone in the country could drive 4 hours or less and get a test for the virus without needing to go through the traditional medical process, the US will continue to be chasing the virus instead of having a clear understanding of its spread.
Regulations 🤦‍♂️

Line for miles. Free drive-thru testing
https://vm.tiktok.com/ph4h47/
Tulane Class of 1981