Newsletter: Could a new AAC Football team be on the way?

The leading blog for Tulane fans. Coverage on FTW & Twitter for Green Wave Football, Hoops, Baseball and more.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm I believe it is going to be ODU for the replacement of UConn. Bobby Wilder is gone & Ricky Rahne (PSU), is in. This program will respond quickly with the new staff. If they are accepted into the AAC, they will be contesting for the AAC East in two recruiting cycles. Great demo, fantastic recruiting footprint, building 1st rate facilities
either that or Witchy State activates their football program again...ODU brings a nice media footprint
https://www.odu.edu/

Geographically Speaking
https://www.google.com/maps/vt/data=1pH ... w=182&h=80

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm I believe it is going to be ODU for the replacement of UConn. Bobby Wilder is gone & Ricky Rahne (PSU), is in. This program will respond quickly with the new staff. If they are accepted into the AAC, they will be contesting for the AAC East in two recruiting cycles. Great demo, fantastic recruiting footprint, building 1st rate facilities
I could see FIU, FAU, or even UAB getting invited ahead of ODU. ODU might have hired a new coach, but they have been pretty bad the last few years. It would mean replacing one terrible team with another.

The Florida schools would stretch the AAC Footprint in Florida from coast to coast, giving the conference great exposure in one of the best recruiting areas of the country.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:51 pm
I could see FIU, FAU, or even UAB getting invited ahead of ODU. ODU might have hired a new coach, but they have been pretty bad the last few years. It would mean replacing one terrible team with another.

The Florida schools would stretch the AAC Footprint in Florida from coast to coast, giving the conference great exposure in one of the best recruiting areas of the country.
Too bad UAB cannot change it's name..University of Birmingham or Birmingham University, or University of Birmingham @ Lafayette.... sumthin' other than uab....it would be a great market, with easy travel for every school
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Are people passing around some drugs in here ? None of those schools are joining the aac. Buffalo (flagship research nyc school) or Colorado State (big market, new stadium, checks every box besides winning) would get in before any of them.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 am Are people passing around some drugs in here ? None of those schools are joining the aac. Buffalo (flagship research nyc school) or Colorado State (big market, new stadium, checks every box besides winning) would get in before any of them.
Buffalo is hardly the "Flagship research NYC School." Buffalo is almost 400 miles from NYC, which is roughly the distance to Little Rock or Atlanta from New Orleans. It's TV market is about the same as New Orleans. It would do zero to add the NYC market, as their scores aren't even mentioned on the NYC Sports Radio shows. Colorado State brings the Denver market into the conference, but lets face it, they stink! If we want to lift the conference to truly be the 6th "P", we need to add a program that's been successful recently in the sport that matters more than the others combined.
wave97
Swell

Do you think we "earned" our way into the American? We were one of the worst FBS programs of all time. Thank God Aresco & a few University Presidents had foresight or we would be still be stuck in CUSA.
ODU has a large market without any competition for sports entertainment. ODU is a gift wrapped up in a box with a bow on it.
The Peninsula by itself is a legendary recruiting base that when combined with the Southern Mid Atlantic/Mid South will consistently produce athletes.
The Norfolk/Portsmouth/Newport News market is large (#42) larger than New Orleans (#48). ODU is an isolated market. It is not a quick trip off of Interstate 95 from the rest of Virginia & Raleigh/Durham. You have to go out of your way to get there and once you're there, minor league hockey is the sole competition (AHL), ODU has the potential to be a perfect matchup for ECU, Temple & the USNA (door knockers vs enlisted).
Please don't sleep on ODU. If they are accepted into the AAC they'll get up to speed a lot faster than it took for us & they won't be a wham bam thank you ma'am program. There is tremendous support in the market for ODU football & basketball.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:25 am

Do you think we "earned" our way into the American? We were one of the worst FBS programs of all time. Thank God Aresco & a few University Presidents had foresight or we would be still be stuck in CUSA.
ODU has a large market without any competition for sports entertainment. ODU is a gift wrapped up in a box with a bow on it.
The Peninsula by itself is a legendary recruiting base that when combined with the Southern Mid Atlantic/Mid South will consistently produce athletes.
The Norfolk/Portsmouth/Newport News market is large (#42) larger than New Orleans (#48). ODU is an isolated market. It is not a quick trip off of Interstate 95 from the rest of Virginia & Raleigh/Durham. You have to go out of your way to get there and once you're there, minor league hockey is the sole competition (AHL), ODU has the potential to be a perfect matchup for ECU, Temple & the USNA (door knockers vs enlisted).
Please don't sleep on ODU. If they are accepted into the AAC they'll get up to speed a lot faster than it took for us & they won't be a wham bam thank you ma'am program. There is tremendous support in the market for ODU football & basketball.
I was on the ODU bandwagon last Spring, when UConn announced they were leaving. Then after following their football team this past fall, I'm off.

ODU Stinks. They were supposed to be "much improved" this last season when they opened their new stadium. They were lousy, and that is being generous. It's not like they have academics, tradition or New Orleans going for them. They're academically ranked in the back half of the 200's. No thank you. I'd take FAU or FIU over them in a heartbeat.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Give me Colorado State...the views are tremendous, and the air is clean... I could give ones rat azz less about another school in Florida...hot, humid and it stinks, like going to Cuba, without the passport
Aberzombie1892
Swell

ODU is neat, but it doesn't make sense to look at 2nd tier G5 programs unless it's clear that Boise State and SDSU are off of the table, and, even if they are off the table, Buffalo, Air Force, UNLV, and Colorado State each are intriguing options in their own way to the extent that ODU would not be the automatic next choice.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:46 am
wave97 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:25 am

I was on the ODU bandwagon last Spring, when UConn announced they were leaving. Then after following their football team this past fall, I'm off.

ODU Stinks. They were supposed to be "much improved" this last season when they opened their new stadium. They were lousy, and that is being generous. It's not like they have academics, tradition or New Orleans going for them. They're academically ranked in the back half of the 200's. No thank you. I'd take FAU or FIU over them in a heartbeat.
Bobby Wilder lost the team at least two years ago. I know this program well, He was an odd bird from the start of the program. Was incapable of attracting defensive coaching talent from the get go and in the last few years his staff was loaded with coaches with no other options. I hope he gets his life together.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:55 am Bobby Wilder lost the team at least two years ago. I know this program well, He was an odd bird from the start of the program. Was incapable of attracting defensive coaching talent from the get go and in the last few years his staff was loaded with coaches with no other options. I hope he gets his life together.
Last year was the fourth year from their "best recruiting class ever". They finished 1-11.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:20 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 am Are people passing around some drugs in here ? None of those schools are joining the aac. Buffalo (flagship research nyc school) or Colorado State (big market, new stadium, checks every box besides winning) would get in before any of them.

Buffalo is hardly the "Flagship research NYC School." Buffalo is almost 400 miles from NYC, which is roughly the distance to Little Rock or Atlanta from New Orleans. It's TV market is about the same as New Orleans. It would do zero to add the NYC market, as their scores aren't even mentioned on the NYC Sports Radio shows. Colorado State brings the Denver market into the conference, but lets face it, they stink! If we want to lift the conference to truly be the 6th "P", we need to add a program that's been successful recently in the sport that matters more than the others combined.
“Nyc school” was misstated, the “c” snuck in there- it should have said It’s a large, state flagship university in New York that is also a AAU research entity.

None of the schools available check every box otherwise they would already be in a P5 or AAC. At this point you look at potential, how many boxes they do check and how close that potential is to being realized. It leaves you with a list of Colorado State, Buffalo, Georgia State, ODU & APP State. That’s assume army, BYU, SDSU, Air Force are all a No go. I will say, Colorado State has built the new stadium, is in a great and large demo that geographically is well positioned for the league- but they don’t have massive fandom and haven’t won recently.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I’d like to see Colo. St. added, but am not sure the Ram Nation would relish repeated trips to the East Coast and the Third Coast. Any western adds will likely need to involve a group of western teams.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:59 am
wave97 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:55 am Bobby Wilder lost the team at least two years ago. I know this program well, He was an odd bird from the start of the program. Was incapable of attracting defensive coaching talent from the get go and in the last few years his staff was loaded with coaches with no other options. I hope he gets his life together.
Last year was the fourth year from their "best recruiting class ever". They finished 1-11.
Oh, they have talent - lots of it The rot started at the head several years ago. The better coaches got tired of his schtick and became members of other staffs. Cops, coaches & chefs seem uniquely susceptible of being their own worst enemies.