Newsletter: Could a new AAC Football team be on the way?

The leading blog for Tulane fans. Coverage on FTW & Twitter for Green Wave Football, Hoops, Baseball and more.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

If the AAC can keep outperforming the ACC and PAC 12 on the field, we might get a major bowl slot. But to really be a “P” conference we need the big TV money. And that will only come when the AAC has the fans’ eyes both on TV and in the stands.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Dave breslin
Swell

Houston, you are correct. Butts in the seats and “money” from the fans. That’s the motivating factor for the NCAA. Kind of like organized crime. They won’t bite the hand that feeds them!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If you think that football recruiting has not improved you've got your head where the sun doesn't shine.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

Since the AAC has moved offices, the AAC should try to negotiate a tie-in with the Cotton Bowl since that and the Peach Bowl are the only NY6 bowls not to have a conference tie-in.
wave97
Swell

The AAC wanted to experience the wonders of a New England winter for one last time. They no doubt will miss 3:30 sunsets, single digit temperatures with ocean driven winds gusting to 40 mph.
The AAC media days will unfortunatley go no further than a faceless climate controlled banquet room in Dallas.
The media days in Newport was special, I was fortunate to be able to attended them all and never grew tired of them. It was a great gig at peak season in coastal new england.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:28 pm The AAC wanted to experience the wonders of a New England winter for one last time. They no doubt will miss 3:30 sunsets, single digit temperatures with ocean driven winds gusting to 40 mph.
The AAC media days will unfortunatley go no further than a faceless climate controlled banquet room in Dallas.
The media days in Newport was special, I was fortunate to be able to attended them all and never grew tired of them. It was a great gig at peak season in coastal new england.
I also got to make it to Newport for a media days. It was truly amazing and Newport Rhode Island is a gem and world class. I know the conference said they wanted to try and keep it there, but I assume that was mostly lip service. As you said- Que the banquet room and generic steak house in the cultural hub of Dallas.
wave97
Swell

I love Dallas!
Just not so much in the first week of August.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 pm
wave97 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:28 pm The AAC wanted to experience the wonders of a New England winter for one last time. They no doubt will miss 3:30 sunsets, single digit temperatures with ocean driven winds gusting to 40 mph.
I also got to make it to Newport for a media days. It was truly amazing and Newport Rhode Island is a gem and world class. I know the conference said they wanted to try and keep it there, but I assume that was mostly lip service. As you said- Que the banquet room and generic steak house in the cultural hub of Dallas.
I wonder if the move to Dallas had anything to do with Corporate / Business "Tax Structure"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:03 pm
I wonder if the move to Dallas had anything to do with Corporate / Business "Tax Structure"
If I am not mistaken, Rhode Island (smaller than some cattle ranches in Texas), was voted the worst state in the union for attracting & retaining business. It is completely run from stem to stern by public unions, municipal, county & state.
Whenever someone gets a public sector job, they've risen to "Rhode Island Royalty".
The tail doesn't wag the dog here, it is the dog. Truly dystopian, but everybody here thinks it's normal.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hope they go back to Newport for Media Day, but I think it's a long shot. The clambake was awesome, and you got to watch some players eating lobster for the first time in their lives. Some were intimidated by the lobsters, even though they'd already been cooked (and dead!)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:51 pm
If I am not mistaken, Rhode Island (smaller than some cattle ranches in Texas), was voted the worst state in the union for attracting & retaining business. It is completely run from stem to stern by public unions, municipal, county & state.
Whenever someone gets a public sector job, they've risen to "Rhode Island Royalty".
The tail doesn't wag the dog here, it is the dog. Truly dystopian, but everybody here thinks it's normal.
That was more prevalent in the past and explains some of the hate for their current two term governor who isn’t seen as part of that club. Rather she and others are from the private sector & academia (remember the tiny state has a significant concentration of universities and elite universities) have made major strides. The conference didn’t leave because of being unhappy with the work environment or tax structure, rather they wanted to be in close proximity to the BIG 12 and their cronies. I think they (RI) even have some awards for most attractive place for new business.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:18 pm
wave97 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:51 pm
That was more prevalent in the past and explains some of the hate for their current two term governor who isn’t seen as part of that club. Rather she and others are from the private sector & academia (remember the tiny state has a significant concentration of universities and elite universities) have made major strides. The conference didn’t leave because of being unhappy with the work environment or tax structure, rather they wanted to be in close proximity to the BIG 12 and their cronies. I think they (RI) even have some awards for most attractive place for new business.
So is Aresco angling for the Big 12 Commish role? Or does he foresee 6 or 8 Big 12 orphans looking for a home?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Either? Both ? ;)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 am Either? Both ? ;)
It does seem odd for the league office to be based in DFW. Depending where they are located in DFW, the office may literally be further west than any school in the league—instead of being further east than any school in the league, as they are now.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:39 am
It does seem odd for the league office to be based in DFW. Depending where they are located in DFW, the office may literally be further west than any school in the league—instead of being further east than any school in the league, as they are now.
Let's see The Big 12., CUSA , College Football Playoff...all of their offices are in metro Dallas...it may have sumthin to do with media access and corp tax breaks...but then again, why cloud the issue with fact... why the hell is the Sun Belt not in Atlanta or Dallas
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:00 am
Let's see The Big 12., CUSA , College Football Playoff...all of their offices are in metro Dallas...it may have sumthin to do with media access and corp tax breaks...but then again, why cloud the issue with fact... why the hell is the Sun Belt not in Atlanta or Dallas
There is more media access where the AAC is currently based. And I doubt taxes have much to do with it for any conference HQ. The conferences themselves should be largely break-even. The “profits” go to member schools that are not taxed, and are located in a variety of states—not that their location matters. Florida, Georgia or Tennessee would make more sense for the AAC HQ, unless there is another reason to nuzzle up to the Big 12.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:24 pm
There is more media access where the AAC is currently based. And I doubt taxes have much to do with it for any conference HQ. The conferences themselves should be largely break-even. The “profits” go to member schools that are not taxed, and are located in a variety of states—not that their location matters. Florida, Georgia or Tennessee would make more sense for the AAC HQ, unless there is another reason to nuzzle up to the Big 12.
Learfield Sports corp offices are in north (Plano) Dallas...Fox Sports Southwest is located in Metro ( Irving) Dallas
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:27 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:24 pm
Learfield Sports corp offices are in north (Plano) Dallas...Fox Sports Southwest is located in Metro ( Irving) Dallas
Small potatoes. AAC is aligned with ESPN, Fox Sports Southwest is just one of several regional Fox Sports networks, and largely irrelevant to the AAC. There has to be another reason for relocating to DFW area—something like Aresco’s wife likes the shopping better in Dallas. Seriously, there should be a good reason, because this move will cost each AAC school.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The mind boggling thing to me is the PAC 12 being in San Fran instead of LA. LA being cheaper, with more media access and has two of your largest programs. Classic Larry Scott
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

It is true from the AAC current HQ
NYC is 3 hours away
Philly is 3 hours away
ESPN HQ is 2 hours away
Boston 1 hour away

But as far as college football goes I understand the move to Dallas. Also Arescos wife probably does want to be in a Major Metropolitan City.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:12 pm The mind boggling thing to me is the PAC 12 being in San Fran instead of LA. LA being cheaper, with more media access and has two of your largest programs. Classic Larry Scott
Larry Scott is pure scum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 pm It is true from the AAC current HQ
NYC is 3 hours away
Philly is 3 hours away
ESPN HQ is 2 hours away
Boston 1 hour away

But as far as college football goes I understand the move to Dallas. Also Arescos wife probably does want to be in a Major Metropolitan City.
Flight Times...
DFW to NYC --3hrs 20min
DFW to Philly-- 3hrs 05min
DFW to Bristol- 2hrs 20min
DFW to Boston- 3hrs 35min
not much difference in travel time...
exflash
High Tide

There are only 3 schools that are geographically placed for contention....they have top 30 football status and some damn good baseball or other sports programs....Fla Atlantic, Appy State, or UL Lafayette Cajuns!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

exflash wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:17 pm There are only 3 schools that are geographically placed for contention....they have top 30 football status and some damn good baseball or other sports programs....Fla Atlantic, Appy State, or UL Lafayette Cajuns!
At least you named your school accurately.

No chance in hell UL-L gets an invite to join the AAC. NONE. FAU and Appy State have better chances, but probably FAU ahead of Appalachian State, who doesn't bring a TV market. There are better choices out there, no doubt.
wave97
Swell

I believe it is going to be ODU for the replacement of UConn. Bobby Wilder is gone & Ricky Rahne (PSU), is in. This program will respond quickly with the new staff. If they are accepted into the AAC, they will be contesting for the AAC East in two recruiting cycles. Great underserved demo, fantastic recruiting footprint, building 1st rate facilities
Last edited by wave97 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.