Newsletter: Could a new AAC Football team be on the way?

The leading blog for Tulane fans. Coverage on FTW & Twitter for Green Wave Football, Hoops, Baseball and more.
fearthewaveblog
Ripple

Boise State has lawyered up against the Mountain West Conference due to issues with the new TV deal

We take a look in this newsletter why Boise State is suing and why this might produce an option to replace UConn in Football:

https://fearthewave.substack.com/p/coul ... ll-team-be

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

While I agree that Boise State would improve the image of the conference, it's a geographic out post from the rest of the conference. It would certainly be placed in the West division, and that means a trip for the football team to Boise every other year. Not an easy place to get a win.

There's other options available. But I can see the argument to strengthen the conferences plea to be recognized as the "P6th"
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Boise's issue...if you join the AAC it will be football only, what other conference will you other sports play in... oh yeah, about those road trips to USF, UCF, ECU...this ain't easy drivin' to Wyoming, Colorado State, Utah State...ya better look at the bottom line "Net," not the "Gross'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It would only make sense to add if the AAC kicked out Tulsa and took Boise State and at least SDSU.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:34 pm It would only make sense to add if Tulane kicked out Tulsa and took Boise State and at least SDSU.
Yeah, like Tulane has the power to kick out anyone in the AAC!

Tulsa, until recently has owned Tulane in football and basketball. There's no way we want two EXTREME outlayers in the conference like SDSU and Boise. BYU and Boise would make more sense, but that's probably a pipe dream.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:54 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:34 pm It would only make sense to add if Tulane kicked out Tulsa and took Boise State and at least SDSU.

Tulsa, until recently has owned Tulane in football and basketball. There's no way we want two EXTREME outlayers in the conference like SDSU and Boise. BYU and Boise would make more sense, but that's probably a pipe dream.
Haha that was a typo on my part. Tulsa was only added after Boise turned the AAC down, and that forced SDSU to change its plan to join.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

any school west of Denver is not worth admitting...Colorado State is the only school in the Mtn west that makes any sense...the rest are a Geographic nightmare
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:02 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Haha that was a typo on my part. Tulsa was only added after Boise turned the AAC down, and that forced SDSU to change its plan to join.
I think that was back in the "heyday" of C-USA, when most of the current AAC members were in it, along with Louisville. I may be wrong, but I don't recall either school being considered for the AAC. Perhaps the old Big East when they were a P6?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

IF Boise did join the AAC it could mean we get moved to the East. While it makes sense for Navy to be put there. their agreement with the league is to be in the West Division.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Geographically only Colo St or Air Force makes sense. If Boise is really being considered, I would be surprised if Aresco isn’t considering a bolder move to be the first 16 team conference, with pod play which would control travel and related costs. In that scenario we’d see a Western Pod of perhaps Boise, BYU, SDSU and Colo St. we’d still have to add an Eastern team.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenphantom
Swell

I think the geographic issues are overblown. I say we get them for Football.
anEngineer
Riptide

greenphantom wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:13 pm I think the geographic issues are overblown. I say we get them for Football.
I don't think it's overblown. Boise is way out there. Even NFL teams hate travelling to Seattle.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:42 pm
greenphantom wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:13 pm I think the geographic issues are overblown. I say we get them for Football.
I don't think it's overblown. Boise is way out there. Even NFL teams hate travelling to Seattle.
It’s a lot worse for Boise than any other AAC team—ask West Virginia.
greenphantom
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:46 pm
They travel by plane, not bus. It’s really not that big a deal, especially if it helps elevate the AAC. You travel there, at most, once every 2 years. It’s more a burden on Boise.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenphantom wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:03 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:46 pm
They travel by plane, not bus. It’s really not that big a deal, especially if it helps elevate the AAC. You travel there, at most, once every 2 years. It’s more a burden on Boise.
I don't think Boise will not take a football only invite...they need a home for all other sports, which are not very competitive... non rev sports traveling to Boise, what a damn nightmare.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

You could add one team or you add 3. Either way you have a pod of 3 others you play every year and rotate the others. If you add Boise BYU Air Force this is pretty easy. They play with SMU, Houston, Tulsa and Tulane in the west (if you can get Navy to agree). You have Boise BYU Air Force and Tulsa play every year and rotate the others.
ajcalhoun
Swell

We're trying to push the "P6" narrative and nothing screams "G5" like Boise State. I say "No." They need the AAC way more than the AAC needs them.
God Bless Everyone!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

It would be Fball only. That adds next to nothing in air travel for six games a year.
Ruski
Swell

Grabbing Boise would not only elevate the AAC but also relegate MWC to CUSA/MAC/SB level. We have a 90% lock of the NY6 bowl game every year and the P6 becomes a real thing as far as competitiveness....would be interesting to see how the money would play out.

If Aresco can get Boise/BYU/SDST that would put the nail in the coffin and draw a huge line in the sand between AAC and the rest of the G4.

West:
Boise
BYU
SDSt
Tulsa
SMU
Houston
Navy

East:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

That's two very badass divisions of football.
galvezwave
Swell

It’d be nice to fit Air Force somewhere and get navy to the east. But yeah that’s a good conference
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Sdsu adds a big market and destination, but man talk about really pushing the National footprint and adding another time zone. At the end of the day it’s whatever ESPN is willing to pay us more for. If we get a bump and for just boise that’s the way. If it’s 3 schools then we’ll do that, but ESPN needs to want to add atleast $7m per school.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:21 am Sdsu adds a big market and destination, but man talk about really pushing the National footprint and adding another time zone. At the end of the day it’s whatever ESPN is willing to pay us more for. If we get a bump and for just boise that’s the way. If it’s 3 schools then we’ll do that, but ESPN needs to want to add atleast $7m per school.
If you mean $7 million per additional school (adding $14 mil/year after subtracting UConn) so that the distribution to each AAC program is the same, that's possible. We're not going to add $7 million per AAC member, that would double our contract value at a time when ESPN desperately need to cut spending. And if those MWC schools were football only, they should not get an equal share.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

CT- I meant ESPN adding additional payouts so the average annual revenue per school atleast stays the same ($7 per school) or increases. Only ESPN and market analysts can really tell you what each school is worth/brings. BYU is worth more than $7m (they have a new contract that I believe proves that), it’s unclear how much value SDSU/Air Force/ Colorado State (who has had little success but checks every other box) is worth.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Ruski wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:40 am Grabbing Boise would not only elevate the AAC but also relegate MWC to CUSA/MAC/SB level. We have a 90% lock of the NY6 bowl game every year and the P6 becomes a real thing as far as competitiveness....would be interesting to see how the money would play out.

If Aresco can get Boise/BYU/SDST that would put the nail in the coffin and draw a huge line in the sand between AAC and the rest of the G4.

West:
Boise
BYU
SDSt
Tulsa
SMU
Houston
Navy

East:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

That's two very badass divisions of football.
This would be a very solid conference, and clearly create the P6. However, the 14-team structure is awkward for scheduling. I would add Air Force and Colo. St to these 14 teams, and use 4-team pods for scheduling. Add a semi-final game to the AAC playoff, and I don't think ESPN would have any reservations ponying the additional money. To add a semi-final playoff game simply start the season one week earlier, with a conference game if OOC games aren't available.