What if ? Tulane stayed in the SEC & became LSU’s biggest rival ?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It's a great read, thanks for posting.

Too bad for us, it's a trip to fantasy land.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wild in some ways it all boiled down to beating LSU when we were #10 in the country (difficult to fathom) and we would have made another sugar bowl and stayed in the SEC :!:

We truly are living in the darkest timeline
oliveandblue
Surge

I am so over all of the LSU stuff. The sooner we move on and stop begging to be little brother, the sooner we forge our own identity for once.
JTLiuzza
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:36 pm I am so over all of the LSU stuff. The sooner we move on and stop begging to be little brother, the sooner we forge our own identity for once.
And yet you keep chiming in. I'm curious how old you are. Not that youth precludes an appreciation of football tradition.

Forging our own identity "for once"? That's a hoot.

We're not "begging to be little brother." We're already there and have been for some time. We voluntarily sprinted down the path to being little brother starting with de-emphasis, getting out of the SEC... all of the issues that have been ruminated over a million times on this board.

Tulane is responsible for voluntarily trashing what was once a great and historic rivalry going back to the late 1800's. They accomplished it through decades of crap decisions and perennial stinkitude.

It was good for the state, it was good for the folks, and it was good for both schools. LSU should have a natural, old rival and it's a darn shame they don't. So should we. But it takes two to tango. And we left the dance in the fifties.

Now what is left is manufactured bs "rivalries." Battle of the Boot with Arkansas? Battle of the Bell with USM? Give me a break.

The rivalry isn't dead. It's just in a Tulane induced coma. It can be revived imo. But just like the slow drift into coma imposed upon it by Tulane deciding they didn't want to really play ball anymore and drifting into obscurity, the revival will depend upon Tulane deciding to actually be relevant again, and making it happen.

And now we're on the G5 outside looking in, thanks to Tulane, so the climb is definitely uphill.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm https://www.bannersociety.com/platform/ ... ssion=true

Interesting read
But, it should be noted we didn’t withdraw from the SEC until 1966 under then President Herbert Longenecker and AD Rix Yard. :wave:
HoustonWave
Tsunami

JTLiuzza wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:36 pm I am so over all of the LSU stuff. The sooner we move on and stop begging to be little brother, the sooner we forge our own identity for once.
And yet you keep chiming in. I'm curious how old you are. Not that youth precludes an appreciation of football tradition.

We're not "begging to be little brother." We're already there and have been for some time. We voluntarily sprinted down the path to being little brother starting with de-emphasis, getting out of the SEC... all of the issues that have been ruminated over a million times on this board.

Tulane is responsible for voluntarily trashing what was once a great and historic rivalry going back to the late 1800's. They accomplished it through decades of crap decisions and perennial stinkitude.

It was good for the state, it was good for the folks, and it was good for both schools. LSU should have a natural, old rival and it's a darn shame they don't. So should we. But it takes two to tango. And we left the dance in the fifties.

Now what is left is manufactured bs "rivalries." Battle of the Boot with Arkansas? Battle of the Bell with USM? Give me a break.

The rivalry isn't dead. It's just in a Tulane induced coma. It can be revived imo. But just like the slow drift into coma imposed upon it by Tulane deciding they didn't want to really play ball anymore and drifting into obscurity, the revival will depend upon Tulane deciding to actually be relevant again, and making it happen.

And now we're on the G5 outside looking in, thanks to Tulane, so the climb is definitely uphill.
+1,000. A great post. “drifting into obscurity...” —painfully accurate.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
TURVS71
Swell

DEAD HORSE!! Let THUG university go away...

Do what WE need to do to get into a P5 Conference AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. $$ will flow in and most of our problems will go away!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:39 pm

+1,000. A great post. “drifting into obscurity...” —painfully accurate.
Losing 5 of our last 6 is what placed us in "obscurity" for this season.🤦‍♂️
oliveandblue
Surge

I'm 31. I have no connection to Tulane pre Katrina.

For me, beating USM by 17 in a bowl game is a tremendous stride from the shit I had to watch before. I am not taking 7-6 and a ranking of 50 for granted after the 3-9 and a ranking of 105ish I saw before.

We're not above having USM as an annual rival - they are more interesting than many of the other games Tulane has on the schedule. USM has been our rival in the modern era.

Let's say Tulane makes it into a P5. If that happens, then maybe we kick something off with a new conference mate.

Tulane left the SEC around the time my mom was born. Shit's changed. The old way is dead. I was to play for bigger trophies going forward, but game isn't what it used to be.

I wouldn't mind an AAC rivalry. I think one of those would be good fun.

We talk about tradition as if Tulane had a storied one. We were a below average SEC team back then. It is funny how most of the current SEC can't sniff a conference title, though...
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Very well stated!!!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:57 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm https://www.bannersociety.com/platform/ ... ssion=true

Interesting read
But, it should be noted we didn’t withdraw from the SEC until 1966 under then President Herbert Longenecker and AD Rix Yard. :wave:
It should also be noted it was in 1949 when Harris announced we were going to deemphasize.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:55 pm DEAD HORSE!! Let THUG university go away...

Do what WE need to do to get into a P5 Conference AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. $$ will flow in and most of our problems will go away!
Beat LSU and were in.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:28 pm

I'm 31. I have no connection to Tulane pre Katrina.

For me, beating USM by 17 in a bowl game is a tremendous stride from the shit I had to watch before. I am not taking 7-6 and a ranking of 50 for granted after the 3-9 and a ranking of 105ish I saw before.

We're not above having USM as an annual rival - they are more interesting than many of the other games Tulane has on the schedule. USM has been our rival in the modern era.

Let's say Tulane makes it into a P5. If that happens, then maybe we kick something off with a new conference mate.

Tulane left the SEC around the time my mom was born. Shit's changed. The old way is dead. I was to play for bigger trophies going forward, but game isn't what it used to be.

I wouldn't mind an AAC rivalry. I think one of those would be good fun.

We talk about tradition as if Tulane had a storied one. We were a below average SEC team back then. It is funny how most of the current SEC can't sniff a conference title, though...
So it's all about you and your short life. :roll: We are there Rival and they are ours. They dread us rising from the dead. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

As for the SEC we still have more championships in football than some of the schools still in it all these years later.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 pm

Interesting read
It should also be noted it was in 1949 when Harris announced we were going to deemphasize.
Harris left in 1959. I am not defending Harris, he gutted the program, but 7 years, until we left the SEC in 1966, was more than enough time to return to competitive status in the SEC for our football program.
Jaxwave
Swell

LSU is not the least bit worried about us ever competing against them again. That is ridiculous. While they are paying to get great players openly we are denying admission to potential star WBs. Does that sound like we have any desire to be competitive in our own conference much less the top of the SEC, who the rest of the country can’t compete with.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 pm

Interesting read
Harris left in 1959. I am not defending Harris, he gutted the program, but 7 years, until we left the SEC in 1966, was more than enough time to return to competitive status in the SEC for our football program.
He did in fact deemphasize Tulane athletics and it remained that way after he left. He couldn't convince the others in the SEC to follow suit but he set the path for Tulane's athletics destruction.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Once you de emphasize Athletics i assume its rather difficult to put that genie back in the lamp. It’s almost like uconn football now . . . I don’t think they’ll be making it back to the fiesta bowl any time soon (ever).

We need to handle what’s in front of us. Winning the AAC west, and winning the AAC and the next step of making it to a NY6 bowl game. In my opinion, once the playoff expands with G5 access that will push things in the right direction. There won’t be any making up for the TV dollars differential with the cartel, but Tulane just won back to back bowl games and there is a universe where we play and beat LSU in the future (they won’t be a top 10 team forever).
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:14 am Once you de emphasize Athletics i assume its rather difficult to put that genie back in the lamp. It’s almost like uconn football now . . . I don’t think they’ll be making it back to the fiesta bowl any time soon (ever).

We need to handle what’s in front of us. Winning the AAC west, and winning the AAC and the next step of making it to a NY6 bowl game. In my opinion, once the playoff expands with G5 access that will push things in the right direction. There won’t be any making up for the TV dollars differential with the cartel, but Tulane just won back to back bowl games and there is a universe where we play and beat LSU in the future (they won’t be a top 10 team forever).
🤔A mere 7 years after leaving the SEC, on December 1, 1973 to be exact, we beat LSU 14 to 0 at old Tulane stadium. I remember it well, I was there. In 1972 LSU beat us 9 to 3 at old Tulane stadium with Tulane at LSU’s one foot line when the game ended. I remember it well, I was there.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:29 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:14 am Once you de emphasize Athletics i assume its rather difficult to put that genie back in the lamp. It’s almost like uconn football now . . . I don’t think they’ll be making it back to the fiesta bowl any time soon (ever).

🤔A mere 7 years after leaving the SEC, on December 1, 1973 to be exact, we beat LSU 14 to 0 at old Tulane stadium. I remember it well, I was there. In 1972 LSU beat us 9 to 3 at old Tulane stadium with Tulane at LSU’s one foot line when the game ended. I remember it well, I was there.
I was there for both games, 20 rows from the field in the North Endzone, the foinal play in "72 was coming straight for us, the pass was slighly behind the running back and took his momentum away from the goal line, the lsu linebacker put one hell of a hit on him...Those north end zone seats are now the south end zone of Independence Bowl Stadium
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

They played the Tulane-LSU game in Tulane stadium 2 years in a row?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:29 am

I was there for both. The final play of the 1972 game happened right below my seats in the North End Zone. The pass was slightly behind the back it was thrown to. He had to reach back to get it breaking his stride and allowing the LB to stop him just short of the goal. I was confident then that we would beat them the next year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 am They played the Tulane-LSU game in Tulane stadium 2 years in a row?
Yes. LSU had scheduled too many home games that year so they agreed to play us here. Absolutely knew for sure we were going to win when that happened.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Great response, I couldn't agree more, and couldn't have worded it any better.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:26 am
anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 am They played the Tulane-LSU game in Tulane stadium 2 years in a row?
Yes. LSU had scheduled too many home games that year so they agreed to play us here. Absolutely knew for sure we were going to win when that happened.
Bottom line - by 1973, 7 years post SEC exit, we were again competitive with and beat LSU, a good LSU team that finished 9-3, 5-1 SEC for that season.