Re: Fritz talks with other schools about jobs near NSD- did it hurt recruiting?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL at his ability to adapt his scheme to his personnel.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Tulane's Willie Fritz speaks with Arkansas about coaching job, Missouri up next

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... i-up-next/
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That article read like it was written by Fritz's agent!

I am concerned by what that could do to our recruiting class. If he leaves Tulane, Fritz will leave a job that is started but far from completed. And I pity the AD that has to sell his alumni and donors a coach that's still considerably under .500 at Tulane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:08 pm
OMG we're agreeing on everything today, winwave! ;)
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

He's been here 4 years, and hasn't achieved any W-L success comparable to any of his prior coaching stints. Any decent offer and he's gone.
Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I for one, ain't losin' sleep if he leaves.... Skip Holtz, Bill Clark (UAB), the coach at La-Laf...all could do the same as WF, if not better
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:24 pm He's been here 4 years, and hasn't achieved any W-L success comparable to any of his prior coaching stints. Any decent offer and he's gone.
Then would we consider Will Hall? :think:

I like golfnuts suggestions, too.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

There will be competition for Uab coach and Nappier- possibly big dogs. Hall as 3rd/4th option works for me.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Let's just try and keep this thread for developments on WF interviews, etc. Coaching replacements in the other thread.
Roll Wave!
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Fritz could have interviewed quietly and not had his agent leak it like crazy to the press in order to create the false impression that he is a hot commodity with a 6 and 6 record at Tulane. If Fritz stays at Tulane I would not be surprised if recruiting takes a hit because of his agent's leaks. This is on Fritz as he could have told his agent he would interview quietly and not to leak like crazy. Even if Fritz stays I will not be happy because of this.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:43 pm Fritz could have interviewed quietly and not had his agent leak it like crazy to the press in order to create the false impression that he is a hot commodity with a 6 and 6 record at Tulane. If Fritz stays at Tulane I would not be surprised if recruiting takes a hit because of his agent's leaks. This is on Fritz as he could have told his agent he would interview quietly and not to leak like crazy. Even if Fritz stays I will not be happy because of this.
I agree. No way is this positive for recruiting.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I'd love to hear from all of the people who said WF found his home and was here for the long haul. I'm not saying he's leaving, but his interest is sure out in the open now.
Roll Wave!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:08 pm
Old rumors die hard.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:24 pm He's been here 4 years, and hasn't achieved any W-L success comparable to any of his prior coaching stints. Any decent offer and he's gone.
No doubt. Apparently he just wants out--has put the For Sale sign up.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm I for one, ain't losin' sleep if he leaves.... Skip Holtz, Bill Clark (UAB), the coach at La-Laf...all could do the same as WF, if not better
I wouldn't have expected to feel this way, but I'm actually rather indifferent about it all. I hate the risk that all this puts on our recruiting class, but there are a number of good replacement candidates out there. Would naming Hall HC keep this recruiting class together?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Sunamiwave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:43 pm Fritz could have interviewed quietly and not had his agent leak it like crazy to the press in order to create the false impression that he is a hot commodity with a 6 and 6 record at Tulane. If Fritz stays at Tulane I would not be surprised if recruiting takes a hit because of his agent's leaks. This is on Fritz as he could have told his agent he would interview quietly and not to leak like crazy. Even if Fritz stays I will not be happy because of this.
I think you've hit the nail on the head Sunami. It really does look like Fritz and his agent are trying to create some momentum in the market (real or otherwise), despite his moribund record of late. "Pay no attention to that W/L record behind the screen. Just keep your eyes on that glittery thing that my agent is holding." It's clear that Fritz wants out.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:53 pm I'd love to hear from all of the people who said WF found his home and was here for the long haul. I'm not saying he's leaving, but his interest is sure out in the open now.
No doubt. I'd put myself in the "he's found a home" category. I still think long-term it would be in his best interest to stay. But he's obviously ready to take a "three year and done" deal elsewhere. Who knows what his views are about Tulane, and it's potential, or the lack thereof.

He may also be more of a small town boy, given that's where he's lived most of his life. Maybe the big city environment and unique culture of N.O. put a zap on his head.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
TURVS71
Swell

We kiss coaches asses, pat them on the back, invite them to our functions....we are the fools ...whether he leaves or not this WILL affect recruiting ...disappointed that he or someone has chosen to make this public ...does he really care about the program/school....maybe....but they say what we want to hear then jump ship as soon as they can ..it’s the nature of the business ..I have never made a fuss over a coach and never will ...they are all “selfish’l Not that there’s anything wrong with that!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The fact that Fritz has no qualms about jeopardizing our recruiting class strongly indicates that he isn't long term at Tulane. It's still hard to believe that Arky and Mizzou would be seriously considering Fritz, when you have proven G5 coaches out there like Niumatoalolo, Norvell, Harsin and Fickel out there--not to mention some of the top flight P5 coordinators.
galvezwave
Swell

It won’t be hard to convince those sec fan bases . Most fan bases are dumb. And If you watched our games on espn, the broadcasters have painted WF as some sort of messiah for Tulane . “If he can go to back to back bowls at Tulane, imagine...”.

He wants out and won’t coach the bowl. He put CJs dumpster fire out, Let’s go find someone that wants to take it another step. Unfortunately, the stigma that Mack brown referenced years ago still rings true. Get the hell out of Tulane ASAP :
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:04 pm
I think you've hit the nail on the head Sunami. It really does look like Fritz and his agent are trying to create some momentum in the market (real or otherwise), despite his moribund record of late. "Pay no attention to that W/L record behind the screen. Just keep your eyes on that glittery thing that my agent is holding." It's clear that Fritz wants out.
I agree as I posted that exact sentiment here yesterday.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:14 pm Tulane's Willie Fritz speaks with Arkansas about coaching job, Missouri up next

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... i-up-next/
Steve- Please reverse the order of what appears here as the OP by me and then your post. I get that you created a new thread here by taking post from another thread and time stamp shows my post being first but it was made in response to your post that appears second here. It would help make better sense of the beginning here. Not sure how that time stamp thing happened. Thanks.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:18 pm That article read like it was written by Fritz's agent!

I am concerned by what that could do to our recruiting class. If he leaves Tulane, Fritz will leave a job that is started but far from completed. And I pity the AD that has to sell his alumni and donors a coach that's still considerably under .500 at Tulane.
What you need to worry about is Troy Dannen leaving. If Willy Fritz wants to be the coach @ Missou then by all means let the Jayhawker go.