Miss State Basketball vs Tulane

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We are more than likely going to lose this game by 20+ points. That being said, it's a whole lot easier to watch this team than what was on the floor a year ago. The effort is clearly there. We're overmatched, it seems to me, in this game.

And Coach Hunter is a riot!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The "Snatch the Package' pants are ugly...they would not do anyone's "package" justice
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
WavyHoops
High Tide

I like what I'm seeing. They are being punched in the mouth by their first real compeition and fighting back. It's not always working but it's clear there's a defensive plan and that the effort is there. On the other hand, Days is a real unexpected bright spot.
Last edited by WavyHoops on Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tulane 1 of 8 from 3 pt line. MsSt shooting beginning to cool
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

36-27 Miss St up at half.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

We are now 1-11 from 3 pt line. Rough.
galvezwave
Swell

This is an even game if the 3s were falling. D tightened up . Love the hustle . Like already mentioned, overmatched but they’re playing really hard .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:54 pm This is an even game if the 3s were falling. D tightened up . Love the hustle . Like already mentioned, overmatched but they’re playing really hard .
Love the effort. And Coach Hunter has been on the court more than half the team has! He's been inside the 3 point line a few times!

ROLL WAVE!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Down 36-27 at half. Hightower, our leading scorer, hasn't scored at all yet. And we've missed a lot of open threes. Passing has been good, and defense is very active.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We played about as bad a half shooting and silly turnover wise possible. Lawson needs to get his head out of his A**. Love the defensive intensity and coach hunters intensity. Days has played very well, love what he brings. If Hightower & Walker hit 30% of their 3’s this is a very different game. Perry is very very good, but if the shooting returns to average on both ends I like our chances.
RobertM320
Green Wave

A few sloppy turnovers under the basket, and some easy looks my Miss State, and now its 56-37. State is shooting almost 50% from 3pt to our 15%.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Doesn't seem like it but we've been outrebounded 27-11 so far. They're shooting 60% overall, we're at 36%
WavyHoops
High Tide

Mississippi State is impressive. Their football team could use a few of those guys.

Tulane down by 20. Pretty clear that the defense will keep them in games but only if they can shoot at a much higher rate than this.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Huge talent gap. Especially size wise.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:32 pm Huge talent gap. Especially size wise.
Considering our head coach had to find enough bodies to even field a team, the gap could be a lot worse than it is.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Respect for the way the Green Wave fought to the end of this one. Last year's team would have laid down and lost by 35.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt we were overmatched today. MSU has talent and they were hot. Tough combination to beat. As noted we played hard . Days looks like he is going to be good. We’ll continue to improve. We are fun to watch. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:51 pm Respect for the way the Green Wave fought to the end of this one. Last year's team would have laid down and lost by 35.
Actually not. They were great coming back during garbage time only to still lose.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:33 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:32 pm Huge talent gap. Especially size wise.
Considering our head coach had to find enough bodies to even field a team, the gap could be a lot worse than it is.
No knock on coach. Just obvious talent gap. We played up
to our talent and they did to theirs.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:51 pm Respect for the way the Green Wave fought to the end of this one. Last year's team would have laid down and lost by 35.
Lost by 35? Heck, last year's team would have mailed it in when they went down double digits in the first half and lost by as many points as MSU felt like scoring!

This is clearly a much better coached team than we've had recently. We're going to have some tough games and take some lumps, but at least the effort is there.

Perry for MSU is an absolute beast.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Watched all of 1st half, but had it on in the background for the 2nd. We cut it to 4 late on the first half, but we missed MANY open uncontested 3’s. We also missed several lay ups and stepped out of bounds at crucial plays and gave up a few easy inbounds lay ups. If we miss open 3’s we’re going to have a tough time winning. We were jittery and as coach said, he wants us playing our best ball in February and to make a NCAA tourney push then (his words). I think there were some positives today despite being ice cold and state shooting the lights out
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:00 pm No doubt we were overmatched today. MSU has talent and they were hot. Tough combination to beat. As noted we played hard . Days looks like he is going to be good. We’ll continue to improve. We are fun to watch. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
Agree 100%
nawlinspete
Riptide

Not fun to watch us unable to get into the paint and settle for jumpers . Many of them desperation heaves .

Not fun to watch us miss so many open looks.

Not fun to watch being out rebounded 41 - 16 .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
51WaveBG
High Tide

I'm not a big, basketball fan and only watch TU games, so, I'm not qualified to make any
expert assessment of this game. I'm not sure, but I don't think Coach Hunter has his final
rotation picks @ this point. I would play Hightower, Thompson, Walker (he can shoot), Lawson,
& Days (has some muscle under the basket). Embo Ray would be my 6th man. Zhang as #7.
MSU was hot shooting and TU was cold. MSU looked smoother in transition and had better
talent. I liked the TU Defense, hustle & effort. I think that this team can over .500 for the season.