Site issue

Questions, complaints, and suggestions are always welcome.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 am I don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but for about 2-3 weeks now, I've been getting logged out of the site. Even when I open another window and work in the other window for an hour or two but keep GoTula.net open when I come back to that window I'm logged out. It's not that big of a deal since my username and password are stored, I'm more just curious as to whether or not others have the same issue?

About the same time, maybe earlier, the kickoff countdown clock started counting down the seconds separately. In other words, the clock shows and then the seconds tick down in a box that's below most of the minutes block. Again, not a big deal at all.
It is happening to me as well. I just keep re-logging back on. But it is a new development.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I have it happening also.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I've increased the inactive session expiration time... let's see if that helps.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I know the ads support the site but this new influx of ads makes the site jump a lot . You go to click on something and it jumps and you've clicked on something else. Anybody else experiencing this ?
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:27 pm I know the ads support the site but this new influx of ads makes the site jump a lot . You go to click on something and it jumps and you've clicked on something else. Anybody else experiencing this ?
I’m actually working with a new ad provider, and just did a test install today of the new ads and layout. For the next couple of weeks, they will be observing the site and behaviors and experimenting with some test ad placements. Some ads will even be blank sometimes. If you are experiencing problems, please let me know where and how since it’s hard to duplicate across different peoples devices. Desktop or mobile? Can you take a screenshot and email me? Feedback like that is what I need.
Roll Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Desktop and mobile.
nawlinspete
Riptide

New problem , when you click on "first unread post" you only get to the last page , top, in each thread instead of the "first unread post ."

Continuing problem , advertisements everywhere and page jumping around so fast that you end up clicking on something other than what you tried to click on .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Give the site 2 seconds to settle, then you can scroll and click as you please. At least that's how it's been with my ISP and Chrome. If you try to immediately do something, you might click on an ad that you haven't seen yet. NBD, 2 seconds of patience is worth the site being self sufficient.

If TURVS or the "powers that be" ever wanted to charge a small fee for this site, I'd be happy to pay. Or even contribute if asked.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's more than two seconds and it's every single time you change threads. So bringing it to Steve's attention as he's good about the fix. We all get the revenue angle as I noted in my post.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Whoever sold this shit software lied through his teeth .

Go back to what worked well . " If it is not broken it did not need to be fixed ."
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Steve the bouncing around had calmed down but it has returned this week very noticeably.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Any progress on getting rid of those video ads in the middle of threads? Thanks.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:43 pm Any progress on getting rid of those video ads in the middle of threads? Thanks.
I've just reached out back to the ad provider. Thanks for the input and I hope to hear back today. Should be possible.
Roll Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Any progress being made on this issue? Thanks.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am still having issues with the ads and the auto-play videos slowing down the site, and having me click on something that wasn't there when I clicked. Sometimes it's worse than others, and can even take a few minutes for the page to fully load (my ISP speed is 150).
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Ok, I've been working the ad provider for a while now. I think this issues is really only on desktop.

On desktop, the video player should now only show as a sticky in the sidebar, never in content anymore.
On mobile, it's smaller and inline with content.

Let's try this for a bit and see if it behaves correctly.
Roll Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for your efforts and attention to this.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:44 pm Thanks for your efforts and attention to this.
Ditto. Much appreciated.

FWIW, I'm using a laptop 95% of the time.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Its still not been fixed. If anything the site seems slower than ever and the ads still appear in the middle of the content.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The "Ads" are causing this forum to jump around more than a geiger counter at a nuclear test site, more useless krap poping up, than a seminar on education held at lsu
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:14 am The "Ads" are causing this forum to jump around more than a geiger counter at a nuclear test site, more useless krap poping up, than a seminar on education held at lsu
I have a few people tell me they no longer come here because the Ads take over their screen.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I just had 2 ads removed yesterday from in content on desktop when viewing a topic. I'm also in the process of having the video player removed from mobile completely (this should be done shortly).

Thank you all for your feedback. I know it's finding the right balance between location and count of ads. I'm sorry to hear that some people don't come back, but that is on them. I can only work with feedback, so thank you for yours.
Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:45 am I just had 2 ads removed yesterday from in content on desktop when viewing a topic. I'm also in the process of having the video player removed from mobile completely (this should be done shortly).

Thank you all for your feedback. I know it's finding the right balance between location and count of ads. I'm sorry to hear that some people don't come back, but that is on them. I can only work with feedback, so thank you for yours.
Steve...U have done a hell of job with the site, and noone begrudes you the opportunity to make money, but nothing improves, in any business without feedback, good or bad...for thsoe who left, you really need to rethink your postion
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What seems to have had the biggest negative impact on the site's efficiency, for me, is the auto-run video in the middle of the pages. I really don't need to see the video of Tulane taking the field, a scene from the quad during tailgating, or the Marching Band each and every time I switch pages. I have a McAfee program that turns it off, but even that slows down loading pages.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:36 pm What seems to have had the biggest negative impact on the site's efficiency, for me, is the auto-run video in the middle of the pages. I really don't need to see the video of Tulane taking the field, a scene from the quad during tailgating, or the Marching Band each and every time I switch pages. I have a McAfee program that turns it off, but even that slows down loading pages.
That should now be gone from desktop (only showing small in sidebar after you've scrolled some), and I am waiting to hear back about its removal completely from mobile. Clear your cache on the desktop and it should no longer be there.

Also, in-content ads should now be hidden on desktop.
Roll Wave!