Tulane beats SELA 76-55

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Out the box:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 38de3.html

They were picked 10th and no longer have Veal Greenwood or their coach from last season.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We are favored by only -4.5 ! Sela was a senior laden team last year, their “stars” are gone (von Julien their leading returning scorer average 6.5pts), they’re picked 10th in their conference and their coach left last year. Honestly I think this is a slam dunk for us to win by more 5+. Coach hunter has a lot to prove and our transfers outside Lawson werent highly regarded.

The sports books haven’t paid attention (like this year In football) and will take awhile to correct.
swampnik
Surge

Interesting Lagniappe from Guerry Smith:

The Lions’ leading returning scorer, senior point guard Von Julien (6.2 points, 4.1 assists), spent his first two years at Tulane and started 16 times as a freshman under former coach Ed Conroy. … Conroy’s son, Riley, is the new recruiting coordinator for Southeastern. He played in 21 games as a walk-on at Tulane for his father and Dunleavy but never scored.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
GreenLantern
Riptide

Take Tulane, lay the points, and bet a LOT!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:49 am Interesting Lagniappe from Guerry Smith:

The Lions’ leading returning scorer, senior point guard Von Julien (6.2 points, 4.1 assists), spent his first two years at Tulane and started 16 times as a freshman under former coach Ed Conroy. … Conroy’s son, Riley, is the new recruiting coordinator for Southeastern. He played in 21 games as a walk-on at Tulane for his father and Dunleavy but never scored.
Riley hit the first shot he ever took vs Loyola his freshman year. It was for 3pts. I’ll always remember that one because his mom was sitting next to us in the stands. Too bad it doesn’t show up since it was an exhibition game.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The take from the Strawberry Fields of metro Hammond
https://www.hammondstar.com/sports/lion ... e9079.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Guerry failed to mention that SELA’s Maxwell Starwood also has a Tulane connection.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think we crush Sela by 10+. We aren’t world beaters, but I see hunter getting the most out of talent and we have far more talent then Sela. I don’t see us beating many AAC teams but 5 points here is worth taking to the bank.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I only got to see the last minute of the 1st half. But it was enough for me to think this season is going to be a whole lot more fun than the last two! Hunter is fun to watch, and his press conferences will be a whole lot more amusing than we've seen, perhaps since I've been a Tulane fan!

Looking forward to the second half.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

Nice to see Zion, Jaxon Hayes, and Frank Jackson from the Pels at the game.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I got a chance to catch a couple minutes of Andrew Allegretta doing the radio broadcast. Maybe its just that I'm more used to hearing many different people doing radio on basketball, but he's definitely better at bball than football. He just seems more comfortable there.

Also saw the last 5 minutes of the first half and I agree with DfromCT, this will be more fun than last year. With Walker, Lawson and Thompson, there's no way we don't win at least a few conf games.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Those shorts are hideous!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Couldn’t find a Sports book to get my wager in, furious as I knew this would be a blow out.

Better conference, better coach, better talent and more to prove. (Which hilariously is there theme/branding for the season).
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

So far not impressed by Lawson

Freshman Days playing a bit. It’s clear we have 4 real players:
Thompson
Lawson
Embo
Walker

That’s it. The good news is coach hunter only plays 8 man rotations and will get the most of our guys and will coach the rest up. We’ll win a few games in the aac by playing hard and our competition looking past us/having bad games.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:50 pm So far not impressed by Lawson

Thompson
Lawson
Embo
Walker

That’s it. The good news is coach hunter only plays 8 man rotations and will get the most of our guys and will coach the rest up. We’ll win a few games in the aac by playing hard and our competition looking past us/having bad games.
Teshaun Hightower as well.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:50 pm So far not impressed by Lawson

Thompson
Lawson
Embo
Walker

Teshaun Hightower as well.
You’re definetly correct. That makes 5. Rom hunter coming in tune in now for interview
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Ron Hunter Said He Loved the students showing up and being loud. Said it was rowdy (I didn’t make it until halftime because of commitments). Would love someone to tell me about the first half.

He also laughed last time he came here he beat Tulane and no one was in the stadium. Said tonight was electric. Walker was great but can’t be too nice to him yet. Walker hasn’t played in two years, so showing rust. Stating he needed his team to figure out how to handle success. Team hasn’t won in forever, so purposely didn’t call a timeout when they were up 20. Followed up by saying Tulane needs to go up 30, because our leads aren’t safe.

Ps allegreta sounds much better on basketball, but is Super Awkward with student athletes.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I was impressed with Walker and Hightower. Coach Hunter did an incredible job turning over the roster in such a short amount of time. There’s plenty of room for improvement, but you can see vast improvement in this team vs what Tulane basketball has been for the past two decades.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad we started the winning streak! Obviously we are much more athletic. Walker shot much better than expected and it was much needed tonight. We also are much more intense. Of course we have a lot to get better at which is to be expected when you have put together almost an entire new team with a new staff. It will be fun to watch us progress.

Seems like several missed the first half. Probably you should be glad you did. This is a really bad SELA team. They have no size and can't shoot. We shot poorly too and they took the early lead. Walker started hitting some shots but Walker was the only one hitting anything for us. He had at least our first 11 points. SELA kept pace. Finally late in the half we started forcing some turnovers and ended with the 12 point lead.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

swampnik
Surge

Good win and the crowd was a loud 2100 strong/ Dunleavy always said Walker was the most talented player in his stable. Seems that Starwood was an overrated recruit for TU seeing how his coach only let him see the floor for sparce minutes.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
WavyHoops
High Tide

Early season offense is usually ugly but happy to see the defense intensity and cohesion. Also thrilled by the pumped up student section - this current student body is loaded with hoops fans.
Bigschtick
Riptide

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 am Early season offense is usually ugly but happy to see the defense intensity and cohesion. Also thrilled by the pumped up student section - this current student body is loaded with hoops fans.
Great to hear the students showed up. Can't wait until I can see a game on TV especially a home game. We got ourselves a coach!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 am Early season offense is usually ugly but happy to see the defense intensity and cohesion. Also thrilled by the pumped up student section - this current student body is loaded with hoops fans.
as I posted prior to fall practice...compared to MD, this will be Tulanes version of Nolan Richardson's "40 minutes of Hell'.....again that is in comparsion to MD's bs
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !