UCONN Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bigschtick wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:48 pm

It was probably Cowens idea for UConn to bolt from our conference....
While Cowen was building Yulman and was still Tulane’s president UCONN had the idea to leave the AAC. It’s been rumored of them wanting to leave in the news for years from at least 2014.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9419
But I’m sure he’s tickled pink now though. 🤗

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 am
Bigschtick wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:48 pm

It was probably Cowens idea for UConn to bolt from our conference....
While Cowen was building Yulman and was still Tulane’s president UCONN had the idea to leave the AAC. It’s been rumored of them wanting to leave in the news for years from at least 2014.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9419
The UConn administration & fan base were completely devasted when passed over by Louisville for entrance into the ACC. They thought they were "better" than the AAC.
I had conversations with many UConn fans that included, "who is Tulane, do they play football?"
Let's give them a good send off!
BTW: We need to admit a program from the Mid Atlantic if we choose to go forward with two divisions..
My choice would be Old Dominion. Bobby Wilder & staff will be fired at the end of this season. ODU has the single greatest upside to replace UConn.
Large active fan base, Underserved media market. Legendary recruiting region.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Forte's in the House:

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 pm Forte's in the House:

Gene has been attending games this year (Houston game here). Good to see Matt coming in as well!
Roll Wave!
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good one.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Listening to the FTW podcast, I heard that the students are out on Fall Break.

We should have Athletic Dept staff going to the local schools giving away tickets. Build a new generation of Green Wave fans. And I don't mean 100 tickets, give away a few thousand. Hopefully the kids will bring a parent. But if they come and see this offense, they'll probably think it's cool and we have a chance to grow the fan base. We should be doing this until we start selling out games.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:45 pm Magician:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... dd348.html
I am glad Tulane will have an award named for Steve Martin..Steve was a wonderful person, I had the honor and pleasure of playing ball in the summer leagues with Steve. The team was coached/managed by Joe B....had some great times in the Audubon, Mel Ott leagues and the games at Barrow park out by the lake
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am Quandary:

https://theathletic.com/1278038/2019/10 ... ise-state/
Here we go again
He’s confident the momentum will continue upward, but the next coaching cycle could hit the conference hard, with Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell, Memphis’ Mike Norvell and Tulane’s Willie Fritz expected to be candidates for Power 5 jobs.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:56 am

Here we go again
He’s confident the momentum will continue upward, but the next coaching cycle could hit the conference hard, with Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell, Memphis’ Mike Norvell and Tulane’s Willie Fritz expected to be candidates for Power 5 jobs.
Fickell I can understand...but there is something about Norvell that seems to keep him from being interviewed and hired at more profiled school, maybe not a stench, but an odor around him.... WF, has been discussed, there may be a school that will take him at 60, we shall see
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

4-1, No problem:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 56bcd.html

JJ will be back this week. Bradwell is out.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 am

Here we go again
Fickell I can understand...but there is something about Norvell that seems to keep him from being interviewed and hired at more profiled school, maybe not a stench, but an odor around him.... WF, has been discussed, there may be a school that will take him at 60, we shall see
If we can get one more year of Hall & Fritz I will extremely happy. If we get even more, tell Santa I’m good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Here we go again
Don't know if it's the case for sure but the word has been that he has gambling/character issues.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:09 pm

Here we go again
If we can get one more year of Hall & Fritz I will extremely happy. If we get even more, tell Santa I’m good.
I'm in on this. One more season would be great. Anything more than that would be an unexpected bonus.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wave97
Swell

If Willie Fritz was motivated by money & status his career trajectory would be completely different.. I am hopeful that we stand a good chance of retaining him. He & his staff can build something really special here.
Good kids, good school, good football.
anEngineer
Riptide

Anyone notice in the weekly press conference where Ed Daniels started to ask Fritz about Tulane's history of head coaching success leading to being a head coach somewhere else? Before the question was finished Fritz started saying, "Don't go there, Ed." He then added that he suspected those other coaches were a lot younger than him.
galvezwave
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:49 am Anyone notice in the weekly press conference where Ed Daniels started to ask Fritz about Tulane's history of head coaching success leading to being a head coach somewhere else? Before the question was finished Fritz started saying, "Don't go there, Ed." He then added that he suspected those other coaches were a lot younger than him.
Maybe he’s different maybe not. His response to the question was the correct one to make at this time . Same one anyone else would have made . You guys know how it works . Maybe he wants to build a Miami at Tulane . You wanna talk about a legacy? I’ve decided to enjoy the ride and stop worrying about it. Tough stretch ahead .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:03 am
anEngineer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:49 am Anyone notice in the weekly press conference where Ed Daniels started to ask Fritz about Tulane's history of head coaching success leading to being a head coach somewhere else? Before the question was finished Fritz started saying, "Don't go there, Ed." He then added that he suspected those other coaches were a lot younger than him.
Maybe he’s different maybe not. His response to the question was the correct one to make at this time . Same one anyone else would have made . You guys know how it works . Maybe he wants to build a Miami at Tulane . You wanna talk about a legacy? I’ve decided to enjoy the ride and stop worrying about it. Tough stretch ahead .
+1. Time to enjoy it.
wave97
Swell

If Willie Fritz stays at Tulane the only resemblance to Maimi will be that they're both Southern private schools in NFL cities.
I loved Miami for what they were in the 80's, 90's. & early 00's. But that's me. We don't need the anti-athletic elements of Tulane to have any cause to call out the football/basketball program.
In Fritz we trust.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You never know what a coach is thinking, but Willie sure talks like he wants to stay here a while.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
squilz
Low Tide

wave97 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:26 am If Willie Fritz was motivated by money & status his career trajectory would be completely different.. I am hopeful that we stand a good chance of retaining him. He & his staff can build something really special here.
Agree. Fritz seems like a more stand up guy than a lot of coaches, between that, his age and journeyman career up to this point; I could see him riding the wave into the sunset a la bill snyder.
galvezwave
Swell

wave97 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:39 am If Willie Fritz stays at Tulane the only resemblance to Maimi will be that they're both Southern private schools in NFL cities.
I loved Miami for what they were in the 80's, 90's. & early 00's. But that's me. We don't need the anti-athletic elements of Tulane to have any cause to call out the football/basketball program.
In Fritz we trust.
I was relatively speaking. Maybe Boise would be a better comparison but I think Tulane has a higher ceiling honestly.
galvezwave
Swell

squilz wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 am
wave97 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:26 am If Willie Fritz was motivated by money & status his career trajectory would be completely different.. I am hopeful that we stand a good chance of retaining him. He & his staff can build something really special here.
Good kids, good school, good footbaldl.
Agree. Fritz seems like a more stand up guy than a lot of coaches, between that, his age and journeyman career up to this point; I could see him riding the wave into the sunset a la bill snyder.
You mean even more than the Bible thumping bowdens ? 😂😂
anEngineer
Riptide

squilz wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 am
Frank Beamer at Va. Tech is another good example of a guy taking over a struggling program, turning it around and just staying there until he was done with coaching.