D'Eriq King Leaving with intent to Transfer

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
RobertM320
Green Wave

Of course, I'm not sure how happy Clayton Tune is about it. I'm guessing he was planning on being the Cougars starting QB the next two years. Now, he gets 8 games in a lost season, then has to be a backup again for another year.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
squilz
Low Tide

The Athletic take on it: https://theathletic.com/1237695/2019/09 ... -decision/

Seems to imply they're embarrassed by losing to Tulane, I think they just got a reality check that the West isn't theirs to take anymore, between Memphis holding steady and us and SMU getting better as well.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:04 am Of course, I'm not sure how happy Clayton Tune is about it. I'm guessing he was planning on being the Cougars starting QB the next two years. Now, he gets 8 games in a lost season, then has to be a backup again for another year.
would be damn interesting if Tune entered the portal....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:42 am
RobertM320 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:04 am Of course, I'm not sure how happy Clayton Tune is about it. I'm guessing he was planning on being the Cougars starting QB the next two years. Now, he gets 8 games in a lost season, then has to be a backup again for another year.
I’m guessing that either King ends up elsewhere, or Tune will enter the Portal. Yesterday, ESPN commented that what King was doing is novel. By not entering the Portal, he can continue to workout and use UH facilities—but that he will eventually leave UH. It could be that his decision will be driven by how he feels about Holgerson and his staff—a new version of the option.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good point. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Just sucks for us in that they won't be much of a threat to knock others off for us. The good news is we beat them with King. Can't take that away.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:16 am
I’m guessing that either King ends up elsewhere, or Tune will enter the Portal. Yesterday, ESPN commented that what King was doing is novel. By not entering the Portal, he can continue to workout and use UH facilities—but that he will eventually leave UH. It could be that his decision will be driven by how he feels about Holgerson and his staff—a new version of the option.
How novel is it? Isn't it exactly what McCleskey did last season? Shut down after 4 games to save his eligibility? I realize his reason was different and OSU wasn't staring at a 1-3 lost season, but it still basically the same.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

squilz wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 am The Athletic take on it: https://theathletic.com/1237695/2019/09 ... -decision/

Seems to imply they're embarrassed by losing to Tulane, I think they just got a reality check that the West isn't theirs to take anymore, between Memphis holding steady and us and SMU getting better as well.
Their reaction to a 1-3 start is amazing. They've lost to three good teams. Last year we were 1-5 versus FBS schools to start the season and managed to tie for the division title!

I'm glad we have coach Fritz and NOT Holgerson. He seems like he's more concerned with his record and the program than he is about the kids that make both. Fritz seems to love the kids as if they're his kids.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:07 am
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:16 am
How novel is it? Isn't it exactly what McCleskey did last season? Shut down after 4 games to save his eligibility? I realize his reason was different and OSU wasn't staring at a 1-3 lost season, but it still basically the same.
Not at all the same. McCleskey announced he was transferring to Tulane . The novelty of what King is doing is “red shirting”, not announcing that he is transferring, and still access UH facilities. King still has the option to announce a transfer later if he so desires. All very different than what McCleskey did, and different than what other Portals do.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

How ironic that our Jalen McClesky did that exact type sit out at OK State to get one last year here and he turns out being our difference maker beating UH. Had UH won the game I’m sure King would have played out the rest of this season. Will be interesting to see if he turns down a chance to start at Bama or OU to stay at UH next year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:09 am
How ironic that our Jalen McClesky did that exact type sit out at OK State to get one last year here and he turns out being our difference maker beating UH. Had UH won the game I’m sure King would have played out the rest of this season. Will be interesting to see if he turns down a chance to start at Bama or OU to stay at UH next year.
Assuming Tua leaves Alabama after his Junior year, there might be an opening. But nobody is going to oust him if he returns for his Senior season. Let's hope Milton McKenzie returns healthy next year to give UCF their shot at a Heisman.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Again, King is saying he is doing this with the intent to return to a Houston team that will be stronger and not start 1-3. This is a first in college football. How is this so hard to comprehend?
51WaveBG
High Tide

I thought it was the coach's decision on red shirting, not the player's. Look's like King is running the UH team, not the coach. If I was a player on the UH team. I would not care to be on the same team with King because he only cares about himself and making himself look good. He will
probably enter the NFL draft and UH will be left holding the bag again. Be interesting to watch if Tune does well as QB in the remaining games,
which would add to the drams of this whole soap opera next year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

51WaveBG wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:17 pm I thought it was the coach's decision on red shirting, not the player's. Look's like King is running the UH team, not the coach. If I was a player on the UH team. I would not care to be on the same team with King because he only cares about himself and making himself look good. He will
probably enter the NFL draft and UH will be left holding the bag again. Be interesting to watch if Tune does well as QB in the remaining games,
From what I've read, Holgerson wanted King and a few others to sit after the loss to Tulane. At 1-3, I think he's (Holgerson) giving up on the season WAY too early.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

51WaveBG wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:17 pm I thought it was the coach's decision on red shirting, not the player's. Look's like King is running the UH team, not the coach. If I was a player on the UH team. I would not care to be on the same team with King because he only cares about himself and making himself look good. He will
McCleskey did the same thing last year when he declared he was redshirting after the fourth game last season. I'm not complaining.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:33 am
Assuming Tua leaves Alabama after his Junior year, there might be an opening. But nobody is going to oust him if he returns for his Senior season. Let's hope Milton McKenzie returns healthy next year to give UCF their shot at a Heisman.
I couldn’t care less about UCF and their Heisman chance which is zero to nil.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

" The King has left the Campus"...........................Jett to UH ?...King in StarkVegas ?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports ... hronstrrpc

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports ... hronstrrpc
dpm wave
Swell

Mardi gras King?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 pm
Again, King is saying he is doing this with the intent to return to a Houston team that will be stronger and not start 1-3. This is a first in college football. How is this so hard to comprehend?
This didn’t age well.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hope our staff has contacted him. Is there a rule about missing the first few days of Grad School?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 am I hope our staff has contacted him. Is there a rule about missing the first few days of Grad School?
🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣
Someone claimed he Jaywalked as a 10 year old so he has no shot getting in at Tulane.
In all seriousness he’ll likely end up at OU, LSU or maybe Bama if Tua goes pro.
To your original question I’m sure he can transfer missing a few days. Then there’s always Summer Sessions. Should be fun to see where he ends up. The big question is does Jett Duffey end up in Houston now? That would be fitting.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

Isn't there some sort of rule where you can't transfer from one AAC school to another?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:25 am Isn't there some sort of rule where you can't transfer from one AAC school to another?
I do not think that rule would hold up in court...Morris Bart would be on speed dial, and Judge Judy would love to hear the case...look for king to give a hard look at Arkansas, with Briles named the OC ...Briles was at UH with King
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:34 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 pm
This didn’t age well.
Sure didn’t. King never had any intention of staying at UH—which has become very dysfunctional under Fertitta’s hand picked Holgerson.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:57 am Sure didn’t. King never had any intention of staying at UH—which has become very dysfunctional under Fertitta’s hand picked Holgerson.
If he made that decision back in late September, it must have been hell for him living a lie for three months. His teammates and coaches were shocked when he entered the transfer portal.