Tulane loses to Auburn 24-6

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
capwave
High Tide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:50 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:44 pm
greenphantom wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:59 pm
greenphantom wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:25 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:14 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:06 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:05 am
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:50 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:34 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:26 pm BS on Mooney. Had to leap for it.
You r wrong. It went through his hands. Watch the replay.
Wrong as usual. You'll slink away as usual.
You are a child.

Just watched the replay. You can see the whole game on the ESPN app. Scroll to 14 minutes left in the game. Mooney literally did not even jump or need to jump at all. The ball comes right down into his hands. It wasn’t an easy play cause he was dealing with the sideline but the ball absolutely needed to be caught.
Who is slinking away now ya clown? .
Unlike you I won't slink away. You're right it wasn't much of a leap. Both feet do leave the ground as he attempts to haul it in and then tries to get a foot in bounds. As McWave said he catches it and rolls out and it seems that should be a catch. He rolls some more though and it comes out and gets ruled as a non catch. Sucks. Much different from the James drop where he was hit in stride. Later slinky.
His feet leave the ground cause he is falling to the ground to stay in bounds.
I have legit no clue how you came up with this POV that I slink away from anything. Everything turns ugly with you for no reason, anger management would help. You are wrong and this is confirmed on video and by several posters. Just move on and consider better manners.
You talking about manners. LMFAO. Grow up. He leaves his feet as he's reaching out to haul in the throw.It's a catch we wished he would have made but it was a tough catch to make and others have noted that here and on the other site. Also Willie never cited it in the aftermath of the game. It makes no sense to say he would leave his feet to try and stay in bounds. Later slinky.
I don’t get why you are arguing this. It was clearly a drop. Doesn’t mean it was an easy catch but it was right in his bread basket. I guarantee you Mooney himself would say it’s one that he should have come up with. Just because Fritz didn’t mention it, doesn’t change the fact that it was a dropped TD.
Go back to page 3 and read my post. I never said it wasn't ultimately a drop. I said it would have been a great catch. It wasn't a gimme like James' was. Jax tried to lump it in with James. It wasn't the same and that's why I pointed out that Fritz didn't lump it in with the things we did to hurt ourselves.
Dude, you’ve been on a crusade to make sure everyone thinks that a ball that Mooney clearly dropped was somehow a difficult catch. It wasn’t as easy as James for sure but it was far from the highlight reel, just miss circus catch that you are making it out to be. It was placed right in his arms. Got to make that catch. Irrelevant that Fritz didn’t mention it post-game. As far as the James drop, I think he lost sight of the ball as it looked like he short-armed it.
I'm far from the only one that saw it the way I did. We'll have to agree to disagree.
You sexy little biatch. No matter the evidence you charge forward. Work it sista.
100% a drop. Should have been a touchdown.

RobertM320
Green Wave

I know some people think we should have done better because Auburn was starting a FR QB. But he wasn't just "any" QB. In the 2019 class, he was the #1 dual threat QB in THE NATION. And his backup, Gatewood, is a RS FR who was the #1 ATH in THE NATION in the 2018 class. These weren't just "above-average" QBs.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:24 pm I know some people think we should have done better because Auburn was starting a FR QB. But he wasn't just "any" QB. In the 2019 class, he was the #1 dual threat QB in THE NATION. And his backup, Gatewood, is a RS FR who was the #1 ATH in THE NATION in the 2018 class. These weren't just "above-average" QBs.
That's all true.

But there were a lot of plays there for our offense and we didn't make them. Our offense cost us a chance at winning, the D kept us in the game against all of that talent (that's still to prove itself) on Auburn's side. McM played like crap. Our play calling stunk. We looked like the same offense that stunk up the joint in Birmingham last season. Pathetic.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:50 pm
I think it was the defenseless aspect that was the biggest issue all while the ball was gone. Right or wrong, that call is made the same in every college game. He came in too high and too hard. That’s today’s game. Like it or not. Unfortunately or fortunately
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Latest NCAA stats have Tulane tied for first as the most penalized team in the nation. Need to do better to correct this.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:14 am
I think it was the defenseless aspect that was the biggest issue all while the ball was gone. Right or wrong, that call is made the same in every college game. He came in too high and too hard. That’s today’s game. Like it or not. Unfortunately or fortunately
Any hit to the head or face on a defenseless player is a definition in the targeting rule, no matter what part you hit with. That was a pretty clear example of a hit that was unnecessary and dangerous.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:40 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:24 pm I know some people think we should have done better because Auburn was starting a FR QB. But he wasn't just "any" QB. In the 2019 class, he was the #1 dual threat QB in THE NATION. And his backup, Gatewood, is a RS FR who was the #1 ATH in THE NATION in the 2018 class. These weren't just "above-average" QBs.
That's all true.

But there were a lot of plays there for our offense and we didn't make them. Our offense cost us a chance at winning, the D kept us in the game against all of that talent (that's still to prove itself) on Auburn's side. McM played like crap. Our play calling stunk. We looked like the same offense that stunk up the joint in Birmingham last season. Pathetic.
I also think the QB play was the most glaring deficiency in the game. I'm not going to blame the play calling, because we don't know how accurate McMillan's reads were and maybe the coaches are starting to fear his inaccuracy in deciding what plays to run. There were definitely plays out there to be made that ended with balls on the ground.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We lost a game most of us expected to be a loss going into the season. Most of us are upset that we weren't competitive. But it's time to turn the page, and move on. Certainly we should beat the crap out of Missouri State, but then we have a short week for Houston, which is a critical game for our chances at winning the division.

ROLL WAVE!
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:46 am Latest NCAA stats have Tulane tied for first as the most penalized team in the nation. Need to do better to correct this.
Why is this? Coaches come and go but there seems to be one constant: Tulane makes more than their share of boneheaded penalties.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

We'll maul Mizzou St., but it won't tell us anything about our primary concerns, McM's passing and whether our WR's can catch the ball when it is thrown to them. The UH game will be the litmus test for McM, our WR's and the play calling.

What has happened to McCleskey? Will he start contributing by the UH game?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:08 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:14 am
Any hit to the head or face on a defenseless player is a definition in the targeting rule, no matter what part you hit with. That was a pretty clear example of a hit that was unnecessary and dangerous.
True. The refs will call this play every time-- and they should. That said, the refs were horrendous. One bad call that hasn't really been mentioned, though it almost sent Willie into the stratosphere, was the illegal procedure call against us in the 2Q when it was plainly clear that the Auburn player had encroached first--just a terrible call which killed our drive.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
galvezwave
Swell

McMillan and Hall were brilliant a week ago. Auburn is better than us . No team in the AAC would fare better at Jordan-Haire. Not even mighty UCF. WF inherited a bottom level sunbelt program. He’s had to recruit to win in the AAC. He’s done that . If McMillan were a great passer , he probably wouldn’t be here.. we’re 6-2 with him . he’s saved our asses and should be thanked .
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
anEngineer
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:29 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:46 am Latest NCAA stats have Tulane tied for first as the most penalized team in the nation. Need to do better to correct this.
Why is this? Coaches come and go but there seems to be one constant: Tulane makes more than their share of boneheaded penalties.
I disagree with this in that the Willie Fritz era has brought a LOT fewer of these the past couple of years. I find it very odd that we have had so many of these so far this year. It really is a constant point of emphasis for this staff. Is it possible that when you get better players, this is a byproduct? I think not, but here we are. The CJ era was a bonehead penalty bonanza.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The penalties are definitely out of the ordinary. Hopefully it gets fixed fast.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
swampnik
Surge

Tulane will be good this year and can hang with top opponents. I can see 9-3 easily and we won't face a D-line like Auburn again, though dropped passes were just that.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Tulane helped Auburn, more than Aurburn helped itself....to quote a line from a song " Bright Lights...Big City'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:28 am Tulane will be good this year and can hang with top opponents. I can see 9-3 easily and we won't face a D-line like Auburn again, though dropped passes were just that.
9 wins possible but unlikely. The schedule has a lot of toss up games and to win 9 we’d have to win all of those. These AAC road games will be tough: Army, Memphis and Temple. We could lose all three of those. Should be favored over Navy and SMU. We’ll be underdogs vs Army, Memphis and Temple. Houston at home is going to be tough.
I wasn’t impressed with Auburn very beatable not a top 10 team IMO. They’ll lose at least 3 SEC games maybe more.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
TXWave88
Surge

Guys, we had our opportunities. We did not make them. Those opportunities were not the majority though even though they probably would have been big momentum swings. McM missed passes, receivers/rbs, TES all dropped passes, we got caught holding on runs we got first downs, false starts, etc. Let's give Auburn's defense some credit though. Outside of those opportunities, Auburn DB's blanketed us. All other runs, we were stuffed especially between tackles. Our playcalling got a little cute to try and trick them but didnt happen. We did try two double passes in a game lol (I think same drive). They are a great defense and do not need to deny them that, but we STILL had the chances.

Kudos to our defense. They got worn down but they whooped that top SEC line's ass nearly all night. Wildcat got us, but between the tackles, they had to give up on it. Also, OL did not give up a sack. Who would have called that?!? No one here.

I hate that we couldn't pull off the upset especially since we had a legit shot on the road. The guys need to learn from it and move on. Everyone here had this game as a L with no real chance of a W. We see the progress. Go beat up Missouri St and get ready to knock down Houston. These are the focuses now. Our goals are well within reach. Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 am The penalties are definitely out of the ordinary. Hopefully it gets fixed fast.
This is a by product of not having "self discipline"...this has nothing to do with Coaching...a coach can only do so much
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:43 am
swampnik wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:28 am Tulane will be good this year and can hang with top opponents. I can see 9-3 easily and we won't face a D-line like Auburn again, though dropped passes were just that.
9 wins possible but unlikely. The schedule has a lot of toss up games and to win 9 we’d have to win all of those. These AAC road games will be tough: Army, Memphis and Temple. We could lose all three of those. Should be favored over Navy and SMU. We’ll be underdogs vs Army, Memphis and Temple. Houston at home is going to be tough.
I wasn’t impressed with Auburn very beatable not a top 10 team IMO. They’ll lose at least 3 SEC games maybe more.

Agreed on Auburn. Tulane and Oregon lost those games against Auburn more than Auburn won them.

As for Tulane, Tulane can still have a great year, but it has some serious non P5 opponents remaining that could easily set the ceiling around 8 wins - especially if McMillan continues to play like McMillan.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:31 am McMillan and Hall were brilliant a week ago. Auburn is better than us . No team in the AAC would fare better at Jordan-Haire. Not even mighty UCF. WF inherited a bottom level sunbelt program. He’s had to recruit to win in the AAC. He’s done that . If McMillan were a great passer , he probably wouldn’t be here.. we’re 6-2 with him . he’s saved our asses and should be thanked .
Um.....UCF beat a better Auburn team in the Peach Bowl on January 1, 2018. This Auburn team is not going to beat Georgia and Alabama.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:59 am
winwave wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 am The penalties are definitely out of the ordinary. Hopefully it gets fixed fast.
This is a by product of not having "self discipline"...this has nothing to do with Coaching...a coach can only do so much
Coaches can sit the repeat offenders.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:59 amThis is a by product of not having "self discipline"...this has nothing to do with Coaching...a coach can only do so much
Not at all nut. Our high school coach would make each player come in the morning after a game at 5AM and lay down roll 200 yards (goal line to goal line and back). You bet your ass we had very few bonehead penalties. It's all about respecting (and having a little fear) of your coach. Discipline can be taught.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Lack of discipline is a direct reflection of coaching. These stupid bone-headed penalties must be eliminated, and it is a knock against Fritz and the coaching staff. It MUST end. It's going to prevent us from competing for a conference championship if it doesn't.