Tulane loses to Auburn 24-6

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
McWave
High Tide

What’s the difference between the AU catch (the one where the AU player hurt his shoulder) and the Mooney catch in the end zone. Looks like Mooney caught the ball, both knees hit, rolls out of bounds, and ball pops loose. AU wide receiver fights for ball with TU DB and loses but is given the catch any way. No replay to check the catch. And I get it. It’s still a TU loss and we have to overcome the bad calls. The targeting call. What is the TU DB to do. The ball was tipped. The AU receiver was trying to catch it. The DB stuck his shoulder not his head into the receivers chest and knocked his out. You are not defenseless if you are going for the bell. Am I alone on this one?

greenphantom
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:50 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:34 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:26 pm BS on Mooney. Had to leap for it.
You r wrong. It went through his hands. Watch the replay.
Wrong as usual. You'll slink away as usual.
It wasn’t as easy as the James drop, but it was definitely no more than a moderately difficult catch. It was in his hands and he dropped it when he hit the ground.
squilz
Low Tide

Some calls went Auburns way, some went ours. I'm not mad at the final score, but we kept making dumb mistakes, penalties, etc. I lost count of how many times mcmillan overthrew pretty open receivers by 5+ yards. Auburn's a damn good team; in theory the team shouldn't be disappointed by this, but we all know it would've been a lot closer if we could've cleaned things up.

Another note: the alumni association was disappointing if not just overpriced. All the Auburn fans we met/sat around were super nice, even early in the game while we were ahead.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:05 am
You are a child.

Just watched the replay. You can see the whole game on the ESPN app. Scroll to 14 minutes left in the game. Mooney literally did not even jump or need to jump at all. The ball comes right down into his hands. It wasn’t an easy play cause he was dealing with the sideline but the ball absolutely needed to be caught.
Who is slinking away now ya clown? .
Unlike you I won't slink away. You're right it wasn't much of a leap. Both feet do leave the ground as he attempts to haul it in and then tries to get a foot in bounds. As McWave said he catches it and rolls out and it seems that should be a catch. He rolls some more though and it comes out and gets ruled as a non catch. Sucks. Much different from the James drop where he was hit in stride. Later slinky.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

A couple of observations.....

In the past, when we went up against a big opponent, our offensive line would be dominated and our quarterback would take a beating. That wasn’t the problem against Auburn, McMillan had time and protection, but missed on many of his throws. The playcalling was terrible. We have no short passing game, no throws to the RBs out of the backfield. Why would you run up middle into the heart of Auburn’s D, where they have a guy they were saying could be a Top 5 pick. Will Hall had a bad day too.

I’ve been watching Tulane Football for over 30 years and this is the first season I remember where we don’t have to play a true freshman on the two deep. We have plenty of depth, talent and experience, we can conceivably redshirt the entire freshman class. Maybe some got in on special teams, but I didn’t see freshman on offense/ defense.

We need a dominating performance against Missouri St and then get ready for Houston. McMillan must play a lot better to beat Houston.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The catch the Auburn defender made on the throw that McM was trying to throw away was more difficult than the one Mooney dropped in the end zone. And he dropped it, you have to hold onto the ball all the way to the ground. The targeting call was legit, it went helmet to helmet. The call that I couldn't believe was the intentional grounding on the flea-flicker pass. Was it Bradwell or Jones that threw it? Clearly he was not only outside of the pocket, but outside of the hash marks, and threw it past the line of scrimmage by 15 yards.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like Mcwave said Mooney's should have been ruled a catch the same way the Auburn catch was ruled. Mooney did make a good leaping catch earlier in the game. He's good and he's our best receiver and I just don't think he deserves to be bashed just because were all frustrated by the outcome of the game. Fritz only mentioned James' drop in his interview after the game. The intentional grounding was the right call. Jones was not the QB so he doesn't get the benefit of being considered out of the pocket and thus someone needs to be in the area.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

The difference between the Mooney drop and the Auburn catch was that the Auburn ball never hit the ground because our defender stole it from him and unfortunately that worked against us as the ball was clearly going to come out. Should have been ruled an INT on the field.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Yeah as soon as it was ruled a catch on the field It was apparent it wouldnt get overturned.

It was disappointing that mcclesky once again was mia and we couldn’t get Dauphine the ball in space. I would be perfectly happy if I never saw Huderson again on the field again. I don’t understand why fritz insists on him seeing the field.

Anyway I feel ok about the game. It’s frustrating that we could have won that game or been in it at the end. Our defense truly shut them down for 3 quarters while Hall, Mccmillan and the offense let the D down. Yes that is the best defense we will face all year but if we had minimizes our self inflicted mistakes I think we could have overcome the SEC home cooking.
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
McWave
High Tide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 am The catch the Auburn defender made on the throw that McM was trying to throw away was more difficult than the one Mooney dropped in the end zone. And he dropped it, you have to hold onto the ball all the way to the ground. The targeting call was legit, it went helmet to helmet. The call that I couldn't believe was the intentional grounding on the flea-flicker pass. Was it Bradwell or Jones that threw it? Clearly he was not only outside of the pocket, but outside of the hash marks, and threw it past the line of scrimmage by 15 yards.
As I saw it, TU (#37) led with his shoulder. The force of the hit and follow thru to the AU receivers torso caused the AU receiver’s head to jerk forward to the “meeting of the minds” as if we’re. But the call was made. I’ll move on.

Absolutely baffled on the intentional ground thing and explanation by the SEC on ESPN announcers. I thing he said Jones transitioned to quarterback when he received the backward pass (lateral) and therefore could not throw the bell out of bounds. Must be some SEC house rules. But if someone can better explain it please do. I saw several balls tossed out of bounds when out of the pocket. Maybe you have to want to play for AU when you are conceived and when your dream comes true at 19 you are afforded that luxury.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

McWave wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:06 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 am The catch the Auburn defender made on the throw that McM was trying to throw away was more difficult than the one Mooney dropped in the end zone. And he dropped it, you have to hold onto the ball all the way to the ground. The targeting call was legit, it went helmet to helmet. The call that I couldn't believe was the intentional grounding on the flea-flicker pass. Was it Bradwell or Jones that threw it? Clearly he was not only outside of the pocket, but outside of the hash marks, and threw it past the line of scrimmage by 15 yards.
As I saw it, TU (#37) led with his shoulder. The force of the hit and follow thru to the AU receivers torso caused the AU receiver’s head to jerk forward to the “meeting of the minds” as if we’re. But the call was made. I’ll move on.

Absolutely baffled on the intentional ground thing and explanation by the SEC on ESPN announcers. I thing he said Jones transitioned to quarterback when he received the backward pass (lateral) and therefore could not throw the bell out of bounds. Must be some SEC house rules. But if someone can better explain it please do. I saw several balls tossed out of bounds when out of the pocket. Maybe you have to want to play for AU when you are conceived and when your dream comes true at 19 you are afforded that luxury.
:lol:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen willie so mad.
McWave
High Tide

House Rule #10: when throwing the ball away, player must be out of the pocket, ball must pass beyond the line of scrimmage, and for SEC competitors, click your heals three times snd simultaneously say, “there no place like home” loud enough to be audible to the back judge. Play is also not reviewable unless SEC Coach deems it’s reviewable.
Bigschtick
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:14 am We are not there yet. Tired of hearing excuses from others at the game. Are we better? Yes. Are we still Tulane? Yes.

Poor offense.
Not disciplined.
Slow secondary.
Horrendous QB play.
Exactly! Could have, should have and didn't, thats Tulane Football! Will we ever have that big upset in our life times? Doubtful.. You just never know which Tulane team will show up from week too week.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
nawlinspete
Riptide

So much for Hall having answers. His great strategy: halfback passes ....

So much for Mc Millan....

So much for Bradwell

So much for Mc Clesky the player
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:05 am I would be perfectly happy if I never saw Huderson again on the field again. I don’t understand why fritz insists on him seeing the field.
What did Huderson do? I don't remember him doing anything positive or negative. Whenever he's in the game, it seems that the play call is for him to run between the tackles. Speaking of which, didn't Will Hall run an unnecessary number of plays at Derrick Brown? (Any number of plays greater than zero was an unnecessary number to run at the all-American IMHO)
nawlinspete
Riptide

The only back busting his gut : Dauphine . He needs to be the main man .

Coach Fritz : why all the lack of discipline , why all the substitution problems for both games .

Kudos to the Defense , played their hearts out .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

But we will destroy a team called Missouri State in front of our usual 4 000 fans . Great call Dannen.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:06 pm But we will destroy a team called Missouri State in front of our usual 4 000 fans . Great call Dannen.
Don't worry, you need not leave your parents basement, you can stream the game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
TURVS71
Swell

Look, I love my Green Wave. My son and I made the drive to Auburn. This one SHOULD HAVE BELONGED TO THE WAVE. No question about it!

On Auburn’s first TD drive, our defense is penalized TWICE for Illegal Substitution. UNACCEPTABLE! A big game like this and you don’t know if you are suppose to be on the field? Give me a break! The defense was so discombobulated on that drive that they basically gave Auburn a TD!

Throughout the game:

-TWO dropped TD passes
-McMillian “throws” the ball away right to an Auburn defender. Killing another good drive!

-33 Auburn uncovered most of the game ( yeah I know)

-I believe, Amare Jones, after getting a pitch out, throws the ball out of bounds and is called for Intentional Grounding. I would expect him to be so well coached that he would be TOLD that if you can’t complete the pass, throw it at someone’s feet NOT Out of Bounds!

Yep, this WAS our game to win. If we expect to move up, then, we should win these games!!!

Disappointing!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Houma de Wave
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:11 am
McWave wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:06 am

:lol:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen willie so mad.
Agree. I watched Ed Daniels and JT Curtis’ post game show and they both agreed that Willie’s angst with the officials was justified. They went on to give huge props to the Tulane defense and Ed in particular said the Improvement in the Green Wave overall is stark.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I will say this. I hope we enjoy the $1.9M check, because I guarantee you no other school is going to give us that kind of money to play them ever again. We're good enough now that its too big a risk.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:05 am
You are a child.

Just watched the replay. You can see the whole game on the ESPN app. Scroll to 14 minutes left in the game. Mooney literally did not even jump or need to jump at all. The ball comes right down into his hands. It wasn’t an easy play cause he was dealing with the sideline but the ball absolutely needed to be caught.
Who is slinking away now ya clown? .
Unlike you I won't slink away. You're right it wasn't much of a leap. Both feet do leave the ground as he attempts to haul it in and then tries to get a foot in bounds. As McWave said he catches it and rolls out and it seems that should be a catch. He rolls some more though and it comes out and gets ruled as a non catch. Sucks. Much different from the James drop where he was hit in stride. Later slinky.
His feet leave the ground cause he is falling to the ground to stay in bounds.
I have legit no clue how you came up with this POV that I slink away from anything. Everything turns ugly with you for no reason, anger management would help. You are wrong and this is confirmed on video and by several posters. Just move on and consider better manners.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:01 am The difference between the Mooney drop and the Auburn catch was that the Auburn ball never hit the ground because our defender stole it from him and unfortunately that worked against us as the ball was clearly going to come out. Should have been ruled an INT on the field.
Mooney did not make a catch. This is silly. He even knew it, just watch his reaction and his teammates reaction.
No one is bashing him. This is big boy football, he had a drop on a relatively difficult catch. In the end it probably would not have made a difference. The earlier TD drop was the big play of the game. Could have totally changed the momentum.
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:03 pm I will say this. I hope we enjoy the $1.9M check, because I guarantee you no other school is going to give us that kind of money to play them ever again. We're good enough now that its too big a risk.
+1, we are a “cup cake” no more, and P5s can’t count on Tulane’s quarterback having a 50.5 rating every game or 2 dropped balls by Tulane that would have been touchdowns.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)