Tulane loses to Auburn 24-6

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

How do you drop a sure TD pass. Freakin joke.

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

The offensive skilled players should be forced to run sprints on Tuesday. Despite the final score, this game was winnable if our playmakers actually made plays.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Frustrating. We clearly showed we belonged on the field with them. Yet McMillan failed miserably. James had to catch that TD. I called for that play in a thread and it was there. Jones played QB in HS and has a nice throwing motion. A shame to see it wasted like that.

The D played well but the scheme has to be fixed. We cannot continue to allow receivers to go uncovered. That's been going on for four years.

Jones had a good punt return. Glover drilled his kicks.

We can still have a good season but McMillan needs to nut up.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

Tough loss. Had some chances to make it close. 2 dropped TDs were brutal. The positive is that we are at least playing competitively with top level teams. We should have a really good year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Would have been a great catch by Mooney.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

Not great catch. Right in his hands. Same with James.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:21 pm Not great catch. Right in his hands. Same with James.
Especially the James one. All he had to do was let it drop into his arms. We'd have gone for two with a chance to be tied at 14 in the 3rd quarter. That was a game changer.

I do think that we beat ourselves more than anything Auburn did to beat us. Defense tired in the 4th because we got nothing going on offense. But we still only gave up 10 points in the second half.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BS on Mooney. Had to leap for it.
GreenLantern
Riptide

A couple of my observations tonight:

-I believe we can take it easy about P5 teams lining up to make offers to Will Hall

-The play of Justin McMillan-who-transferred-from-LSU (or as I've begun to abbreviate, McMillan_WTF_LSU) was reminiscent of Jonathan Banks. Hero ball. I lost count of the low percentage passes that were throw-and-hope. Passing stats of 10/33, 1 int, 0 TD, with a passer rating of 50.5 will not win many games against SEC teams. Actually, it probably won't be enough against Missouri St.

-Maybe the most poorly executed and spirit-poisoning play I've ever seen was the attempted throwaway pass by McMillan. Recall the situation: Third qtr. We're trailing by 8 and driving inside their 40. A TD and 2pt conversion gives us a new ball game after taking Auburn's best shot. Facing a stiff rush, McMillan opts to throw the ball away out-of-bounds. Except he doesn't. He underthrows the sideline marker by a good 5 feet, Auburn intercepts. Any hope we had was dashed. Our defense thinks WTF. Auburn realizes we can't win. Game over. Tulane fans everywhere sigh, shrug their shoulders and begin to plan for the Saints game.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:26 pm BS on Mooney. Had to leap for it.
You r wrong. It went through his hands. Watch the replay.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We had our chances and didn't take advantage. Yes, there were some horrendous officiating calls, but the fact is we didn't step up. Played a much better game week 1 than week 2 which is disappointing.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

McMillan - 10 for 33, 103 yards, 0 TD, 1 int., QB rating 50.5,

We needed a big game from McMillan tonight to win, we didn’t get it. McMillan’s play cost us the game. We were right all week long, this was a winnable game. Perhaps the only remaining team on our schedule as good as Auburn is UCF. We play UCF at Yulman. We can beat every remaining team on our schedule.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:34 pm
Wrong as usual. You'll slink away as usual.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

McM was awful. He’s just not a good passer—still has a long wind up and rarely knows where the ball is going to go. His long passes are like punts, and any decent secondary has all day to get to the ball. This game reminded me of his UH outing last year. Another stinker like this, and we have to see what Howard can do.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

We are not there yet. Tired of hearing excuses from others at the game. Are we better? Yes. Are we still Tulane? Yes.

Poor offense.
Not disciplined.
Slow secondary.
Horrendous QB play.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Claybrook stepped up. He got inserted at RT last season after the SMU game. Tyler Johnson was out injured tonight and he stepped up at LT:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 21237.html
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:50 pm
You are a child.

Just watched the replay. You can see the whole game on the ESPN app. Scroll to 14 minutes left in the game. Mooney literally did not even jump or need to jump at all. The ball comes right down into his hands. It wasn’t an easy play cause he was dealing with the sideline but the ball absolutely needed to be caught.
Who is slinking away now ya clown? .
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Also dropped an int on the targeting call. I guess it would have been called back.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

That’s a hell of a leap. Oh wait he is actually falling to the ground to secure the catch. “Mooney, if he just held onto it, would have had six”. Was it easy, no, should it have been caught, yes. By by clown.
greenie78
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:50 pm
No you’re wrong. He clearly dropped one in the end zone in the 4th quarter which would have been a TD. Dropped right through his hands. Plus he couldn’t make any contested catches.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MBA is absolutely right. An NFL prospect WR makes that catch. He made a more difficult one last week, and this ball went right through his two hands. You gotta catch that.

That play was indicative of the type of night our offense had in general: Poor execution.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:27 pm A couple of my observations tonight:

-I believe we can take it easy about P5 teams lining up to make offers to Will Hall

-The play of Justin McMillan-who-transferred-from-LSU (or as I've begun to abbreviate, McMillan_WTF_LSU) was reminiscent of Jonathan Banks. Hero ball. I lost count of the low percentage passes that were throw-and-hope. Passing stats of 10/33, 1 int, 0 TD, with a passer rating of 50.5 will not win many games against SEC teams. Actually, it probably won't be enough against Missouri St.

-Maybe the most poorly executed and spirit-poisoning play I've ever seen was the attempted throwaway pass by McMillan. Recall the situation: Third qtr. We're trailing by 8 and driving inside their 40. A TD and 2pt conversion gives us a new ball game after taking Auburn's best shot. Facing a stiff rush, McMillan opts to throw the ball away out-of-bounds. Except he doesn't. He underthrows the sideline marker by a good 5 feet, Auburn intercepts. Any hope we had was dashed. Our defense thinks WTF. Auburn realizes we can't win. Game over. Tulane fans everywhere sigh, shrug their shoulders and begin to plan for the Saints game.
I think the biggest issue on that play was indecision on McMillan's part. He had a receiver in the area. My take was, he was hoping the receiver would turn upfield and he tried to drop it in on the sidelines. But I think he ALSO was thinking about throwing it away, and that's why it kind of ended in no-mans land. However, when we did get receivers open, McMillan couldn't hit them..

Also, the dropped pass from Jones to James in the end zone really hurt. No reason to not catch that. It could have potentially tied the game with a 2-point conversion.

Overall, our defense was stout. That defense will win us some games this year. Offensively, well, 12 first downs, 25 minutes TOP, and 6 points won't. This was the best defense we'll play all season. Biggest positive on offense was the line. Given the hype about Auburn's DL, they performed well, especially since several were out of position due to Tyler Johnson being out.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bigschtick
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:02 pm McMillan - 10 for 33, 103 yards, 0 TD, 1 int., QB rating 50.5,

We needed a big game from McMillan tonight to win, we didn’t get it. McMillan’s play cost us the game. We were right all week long, this was a winnable game. Perhaps the only remaining team on our schedule as good as Auburn is UCF. We play UCF at Yulman. We can beat every remaining team on our schedule.
Not if we play like yesterday and thats not a given!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:00 am

That’s a hell of a leap. Oh wait he is actually falling to the ground to secure the catch. “Mooney, if he just held onto it, would have had six”. Was it easy, no, should it have been caught, yes. By by clown.
I wasn’t able to watch the 2H, but that ball should have been caught. Plus it was one of McM’s few accurate long passes. Some Auburn friends commented to me on how many passes our WRs dropped. I still think McM was our biggest offensive problem, but the WR’s weren’t at their best either. What did McCleskey end up doing for the night?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
msdos
Swell

i was hoping will hall would be different.

really tired of defense showing up to win and offense mailing it in