2020 College Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

AAC to eliminate divisions expected for 2020 season
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... n-as-2020/

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

That will immediately double every AAC school's travel budget. Not much of a solution, even if the NCAA grants the waiver.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:26 pm That will immediately double every AAC school's travel budget. Not much of a solution, even if the NCAA grants the waiver.
Why? There's no discussion of playing every team every year. It might end up being the standard 8 conference games for all we know. And even if they go to 9 conference games, only half the teams have an additional road game. I don't get your math.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:41 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:26 pm That will immediately double every AAC school's travel budget. Not much of a solution, even if the NCAA grants the waiver.
Why? There's no discussion of playing every team every year. It might end up being the standard 8 conference games for all we know. And even if they go to 9 conference games, only half the teams have an additional road game. I don't get your math.
The math is based on playing approx 50% more East teams every year, in multiple sports. I haven’t calculated the exact mileage trade off, but can readily imagine a doubling of the travel dollars. And I doubt that one less school in the revenue-pot divisor is going to offset it.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:13 am
DfromCT wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:41 pm
The math is based on playing approx 50% more East teams every year, in multiple sports. I haven’t calculated the exact mileage trade off, but can readily imagine a doubling of the travel dollars. And I doubt that one less school in the revenue-pot divisor is going to offset it.
We will agree to disagree. I don't know that all of our sports teams play divisional schedules for conference games. They certainly do NOT in men's and women's basketball. I don't think it affects baseball either. Does swimming play in divisions? Volleyball?

To my knowledge, and I may be wrong, the only sport this affects is football. I'll go back to my original response: Every other year we MIGHT have another road game.
anEngineer
Riptide

This really stinks; it just makes it more of a free for all and uneven scheduling. I know in the past, Wichita St entertained thoughts of starting football. I wonder if they are still considering it or if they would actually be "encouraged" to do so.
OUG
Riptide

During the football media day press conference several weeks ago, Dannen mentioned this and noted that Aresco was working with members to identify permanent rivals — “someone close geographically and another matchup that made sense.” (Something to that effect). I remembered this because he specifically mentioned Navy as a rival we were pushing to play every year.

If we get Navy and one of SMU/UH, I’ll be very happy.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:13 pm During the football media day press conference several weeks ago, Dannen mentioned this and noted that Aresco was working with members to identify permanent rivals — “someone close geographically and another matchup that made sense.” (Something to that effect). I remembered this because he specifically mentioned Navy as a rival we were pushing to play every year.

If we get Navy and one of SMU/UH, I’ll be very happy.
I'd rather we get both SMU and UH and play Navy every other year. As much as it makes it easier for me to see the Wave in Annapolis, we could do without facing that offense and their chop blocks every year. Especially if we continue to play Army every couple of years.

All of this is predicated on the NCAA agreeing that the AAC can play a Championship game without having to play a 10 team conference schedule. You never know how the NCAA is going to rule, especially for a G5 conference that's trying to break through the "powers".
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:13 pm This really stinks; it just makes it more of a free for all and uneven scheduling. I know in the past, Wichita St entertained thoughts of starting football. I wonder if they are still considering it or if they would actually be "encouraged" to do so.
This would be the perfect time for Wichita St. to resurrect their football program. Charles Koch might even write a check to jump start the program.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

It’s for football only. You fly to every away game as is and flight costs are about the same no matter how far u travel. It will not be much if any added expense.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:50 pm
It’s for football only. You fly to every away game as is and flight costs are about the same no matter how far u travel. It will not be much if any added expense.
I bet the net expense is actually less, since flying to Uconn is eliminated....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:13 pm This really stinks; it just makes it more of a free for all and uneven scheduling. I know in the past, Wichita St entertained thoughts of starting football. I wonder if they are still considering it or if they would actually be "encouraged" to do so.
It guarantees your top two teams play in the championship game. I don’t see it as all that bad.
msdos
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:08 pm
It guarantees your top two teams play in the championship game. I don’t see it as all that bad.
and also keeps a team from claiming a division title when they weren't in the championship game
GreenLantern
Riptide

Let's give Mike Aresco the benefit of the doubt on this one and take a wait-and-see. He doesn't have a history of doing stupid things for the conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm and also keeps a team from claiming a division title when they weren't in the championship game
Who did that? Tulane was NAMED co-division champions, lost a tiebreaker so we didn't get into the championship game.

You just love to $hit all over anything to do with Dannen and Tulane Athletics. You've become a troll on this site.
nawlinspete
Riptide

You heard it here first . There will be no 2020 football season at any level , Warner, HS , college or pro .

Notwithstanding what some are saying, the problems will persist for a long , long time .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I don't doubt that that is a distinct possibility. And even if they can start the season, it could be truncated by the C-19 second wave, probably late this year.
TURVS71
Swell

Some are predicting NO 2020
College football season. What do you say?
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:00 pm Some are predicting NO 2020
College football season. What do you say?
I think we’ll play but with new rules like security will probably take your temperature before allowing you inside the stadium. Wear masks or gloves for many.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

How many season ticket holders from last year will renew by May?
(I'm planning on renewing but will probably be forced to reduce my Green Wave Club gifting and move to a cheaper area.)

How many season ticket holders that renew will actually go to the games?
(I gotta wait and see.)
MicMan
Swell

If there's no school then there's no football.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MicMan wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:36 pm If there's no school then there's no football.
School continues online.
Tailgating will probably be disallowed on campus.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I've been one of the "doomsday naysayers" on this board about the COVID-19 virus. I hope to hell we get past this far enough that in a month or two we can start returning to normal across the country. If teams at all levels cannot start working out and practicing by the first of August, the season is in jeopardy. If there's no football (and this goes across all colleges) there's a good chance there won't be other sports during the next academic year. The colleges fund most of the rest of their athletics with football revenue, and 90%+ still lose millions of dollars.

Football drives the show. It allows the other sports, including baseball, to survive. Another point about the potential non-season is how would that affect scholarships? Do Universities not recruit a potential 5th class of 2021? Losing a whole season would be a severe bummer for all of us fans of college and NFL football, but it would also create some tough administrative decisions to be made. How does the NFL draft players that didn't play in over a year? Do players come back for a 5th or 6th season?

Lets hope we have a 2020 season and these questions are meaningless.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Football is the main source of income but if the timing of the situation negates football but dissipates in time for basketball they will play basketball. The coaches are still being paid and the scholarships are doled out. One won't affect the other. Now the non-revenue sports are a different matter. They could get the axe. As to the players getting another year of eligibility if their season is canceled it should work out. As has often been discussed here the cost of the scholarships are imaginary. The NCAA will expand rosters just as they did for baseball. Hopefully for our safety and for things to return to normal we don't have to deal with any of that come football season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !