Line Closing Tulane 3 pts. > FIU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 am
Wave QB wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:14 am
DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:07 am You must be right. FIU players have no hunger, and their coaching staff has no fire.
Agreed. Eagle thinks we are about to play a cupcake. We are facing an opponent who won 9 games last year.

I know we can win, but I know we can lose as well.
Exactly my point for the last few weeks! This is a team that thinks they're coming to New Orleans to play another can of tomatoes on their way to a 9 or 10 win season. We haven't won 9 games in a season since 1998, and haven't won 8 games in back to back seasons in decades, and have never done it 3x in a row. So pump your chest and crow about how Tulane is going to show FIU how superior we are!

We need to win this game, if we don't it could be a 1-3 start. I don't think the coaching staff is overlooking this game the way quite a few here are.
If Tulane starts 1-3, look out for decommits.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:15 am
DfromCT wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 am
Wave QB wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:14 am
DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:07 am You must be right. FIU players have no hunger, and their coaching staff has no fire.
Agreed. Eagle thinks we are about to play a cupcake. We are facing an opponent who won 9 games last year.

I know we can win, but I know we can lose as well.
Exactly my point for the last few weeks! This is a team that thinks they're coming to New Orleans to play another can of tomatoes on their way to a 9 or 10 win season. We haven't won 9 games in a season since 1998, and haven't won 8 games in back to back seasons in decades, and have never done it 3x in a row. So pump your chest and crow about how Tulane is going to show FIU how superior we are!

We need to win this game, if we don't it could be a 1-3 start. I don't think the coaching staff is overlooking this game the way quite a few here are.
If Tulane starts 1-3, look out for decommits.
Tulane , cannot afford to overlook, ANYONE !!!!...and I mean ANYONE on the schedule
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 am Tulane , cannot afford to overlook, ANYONE !!!!...and I mean ANYONE on the schedule
EXACTLY!

Particularly not a team that won 9 games last year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 am
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 am Tulane , cannot afford to overlook, ANYONE !!!!...and I mean ANYONE on the schedule
EXACTLY!

much less a team that is from the home of Bass Pro Shops...da Bears are comin' to town
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

EXACTLY!

No one is saying we should take them lightly, we are just saying we will beat the Hell out of them on 8/29. :D
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Preview from Miami Herald. This is Butch Davis' 3rd year, and the team is in the best shape it's been since he got there. No need to bring up the fact that they beat us by 13 his first season.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/coll ... 07222.html

7 returning starters on both D and O. But we just need to go out onto Yulman and beat them, it's that simple. Their QB is better than ours, their O-line is better than what we've shown in years (but hopefully we'll be improved this year.) Yet again, some are acting like we will win because we're chest-pumping Tulane, a team that won 7 games last year.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:19 am Preview from Miami Herald. This is Butch Davis' 3rd year, and the team is in the best shape it's been since he got there. No need to bring up the fact that they beat us by 13 his first season.

7 returning starters on both D and O. But we just need to go out onto Yulman and beat them, it's that simple. Their QB is better than ours, their O-line is better than what we've shown in years (but hopefully we'll be improved this year.) Yet again, some are acting like we will win because we're chest-pumping Tulane, a team that won 7 games last year.
:P
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:14 am
EXACTLY!

No one is saying we should take them lightly, we are just saying we will beat the Hell out of them on 8/29. :D
Exactly. This is a Tulane fan forum. Nothing wrong with stating your belief in the team. NO ONE IS OVERLOOKING FIU. There is no talk of Auburn going on anywhere. EVERYONE IS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS IMPORTANT GAME.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

FIU Preview from their local paper.

They sound alot like us just with a much worse Dline and a better secondary. They have a good backfield, good receivers, very good coach, experienced Oline with some pre season awards, a very good senior QB returning ( 2nd best in Conf USA), as well as a few good transfers from good programs who were cleared to play.

If we play a solid game we win. If we play a great game we blow them off the field.
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:35 pm FIU Preview from their local paper.

They sound alot like us just with a much worse Dline and a better secondary. They have a good backfield, good receivers, very good coach, experienced Oline with some pre season awards, a very good senior QB returning ( 2nd best in Conf USA), as well as a few good transfers from good programs who were cleared to play.

If we play a solid game we win. If we play a great game we blow them off the field.
+1 :thumbup:
Eaglewave
Swell

EXACTLY!

Right! There are too many pussy cats around here! FIU is not Florida State coming to Yulman.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:24 am
EXACTLY!

Right! There are too many pussy cats around here! FIU is not Florida State coming to Yulman.
No, last year they were a better team than FSU.

The Vegas line shows that this would be a pick em game if played at a neutral site, and FIU would be favored by 3 if played at their home. And not for nothing but virtually every 1-130 ranking for FBS teams has them higher than our Green Wave.

But Tulane will go out and thrash them. Their players have no drive (despite winning 9 games last year something we haven't done this century) and their coaches have no fire. And we need not think about the fact that they beat us by 13 two years ago, in Butch Davis' first year as head coach. I'm sure they're no better in his 3rd year.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:07 am
But Tulane will go out and thrash them[FIU]. Their players have no drive (despite winning 9 games last year something we haven't done this century) and their coaches have no fire. And we need not think about the fact that they beat us by 13 two years ago, in Butch Davis' first year as head coach. I'm sure they're no better in his 3rd year.
:thumbup:
Aberzombie1892
Swell

At this point, it is what it is. I'm interested in seeing how Tulane's and FIU's QBs perform. FIU was much better in that department last season, but, hopefully, the new offense will help Tulane perform better in that area.

As a side note, there is no way that I would recommend betting on this game.
Wave755
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:27 am At this point, it is what it is. I'm interested in seeing how Tulane's and FIU's QBs perform. FIU was much better in that department last season, but, hopefully, the new offense will help Tulane perform better in that area.

We will beat FIU upfront on both sides of the ball. As a general rule games are won or lost at the line of scrimmage. ULALA rushed for 84 yards against us in the Cure Bowl.. :D
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:40 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:27 am At this point, it is what it is. I'm interested in seeing how Tulane's and FIU's QBs perform. FIU was much better in that department last season, but, hopefully, the new offense will help Tulane perform better in that area.

We will beat FIU upfront on both sides of the ball. As a general rule games are won or lost at the line of scrimmage. ULALA rushed for 84 yards against us in the Cure Bowl.. :D
I hear you, and, not to wade too heavily into that FIU v. Tulane debate, but ULL abandoned the run after falling behind early, and, as a result, it's difficult to treat that stat the same way it would be treated if the teams played a closer game throughout each quarter. Glancing at the stats, ULL had 30 rushing attempts to Tulane's 68 (and for 483 rushing yards no less), and, for context, ULL attempted 7 more passes than Tulane. As a result, the situation was more of ULL not being able to stop Tulane's run (with ULL's terrible rush defense) and falling behind early with a need to catch up than Tulane's rushing defense being that great (although Tulane's rushing defense was good).
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We should be able to run the ball effectively. The FIU Dline is there most glaring weakness. Which also means they’ll try to stack the box and sell out to stop the run. Let’s just hit Mcclesky, Mooney, dauphine, amare Jones and our TE’s in space and this game should be real fun for the Wave offense.

FIU does have a good Oline (by G5 standards), but even most P5 Olines I think would have big problems with our crew. Should be fun

I think it takes a few drives to get the nerves and kinks worked out for our offense and then we roll in the second half. I also think if this game was later in the season with our offense hitting on all cylinders we would be far more likely to hang 40 on them.
Wave755
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:12 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:40 am

I hear you, and, not to wade too heavily into that FIU v. Tulane debate, but ULL abandoned the run after falling behind early, and, as a result, it's difficult to treat that stat the same way it would be treated if the teams played a closer game throughout each quarter. Glancing at the stats, ULL had 30 rushing attempts to Tulane's 68 (and for 483 rushing yards no less), and, for context, ULL attempted 7 more passes than Tulane. As a result, the situation was more of ULL not being able to stop Tulane's run (with ULL's terrible rush defense) and falling behind early with a need to catch up than Tulane's rushing defense being that great (although Tulane's rushing defense was good).
ULALA averaged 2.8 yards a rush against us for the Cure Bowl. Take away their 38 yard run and they got almost nothing a down, a little over a yard a carry. I think the DL is proven. I am hoping for good things from our OL as well for this game. In the Bahamas Bowl Toledo rushed for 4.6 yards a carry against these guys, FIU narrowly won that game, 35 to 32. Look for Bradwell, Dauphine & Amare Jones to have big games against the "Paper Panthers" behind our new and what I feel confident will be a very improved OL.
Eaglewave
Swell

This game can’t get here soon enough. I want the Wave to shock our fanbase by issuing a beating to start the year off. FIU is the perfect team for an upcoming G5 to send a message to early. We are a AAC contender this year. No Sun Belt team is going to stop these kids from making noise this year.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:16 pm This game can’t get here soon enough. I want the Wave to shock our fanbase by issuing a beating to start the year off. FIU is the perfect team for an upcoming G5 to send a message to early. We are a AAC contender this year. No Sun Belt team is going to stop these kids from making noise this year.
I'm with you all the way, but the "Paper Panthers" are a CUSA team. 8-)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:22 pm
Eaglewave wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:16 pm This game can’t get here soon enough. I want the Wave to shock our fanbase by issuing a beating to start the year off. FIU is the perfect team for an upcoming G5 to send a message to early. We are a AAC contender this year. No Sun Belt team is going to stop these kids from making noise this year.
Which is one of many reasons I question why this game keeps getting compared to the Cure Bowl. There's no comparison. We're not playing UL-L.
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:30 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:22 pm
Which is one of many reasons I question why this game keeps getting compared to the Cure Bowl. There's no comparison. We're not playing UL-L.
I am not sure C-USA beats the Sunbelt in a head to head/rank for rank match up. If they did, it wouldn’t be by much.

CT, I respect the shit out of many of your post around here, but I can assure you that we won’t lay an egg like the 2013 team did. We are going to answer the call.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:10 pm CT, I respect the shit out of many of your post around here, but I can assure you that we won’t lay an egg like the 2013 team did. We are going to answer the call.
I don't think we're going to come out and play as poorly as we did in Miami two years ago, or Birmingham last year. That being said, I think FIU is every bit as good as Tulane (most preseason mags have them rated higher than Tulane) and we need to play one of our best games to beat them. Unless they come out and lay an egg. I don't expect FIU to lay an egg, Butch Davis is a good coach.

Everyone talks about how improved we will be and how the offense has to be so much better. I'm pretty damned sure the FIU coaches, fans and players feel the same way about their program in year 3 of Butch Davis' regime. Ultimately I think our D wins this game, but it's not going to be a blowout. I expect something like 24-21.
ccap05
Surge

The Beau Rivage sports book is offering Tulane -2. I asked the lady at the sales window and she told me that, surprisingly, there did not seem to be a tremendous amount of interest among the Beau Rivage patrons in the Tulane/FIU game.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

ccap05 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:03 am The Beau Rivage sports book is offering Tulane -2. I asked the lady at the sales window and she told me that, surprisingly, there did not seem to be a tremendous amount of interest among the Beau Rivage patrons in the Tulane/FIU game.
I would imagine because it's such a small line and there is so much uncertainty between the two teams.