Superdome / Benson Revenue

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Dave breslin
Swell

I could care less on where we play. It was fun when we were competitive and miserable when we were crappy. Hopefully, I can emphasize “when” we were crappy after this season

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dave breslin wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:50 am I could care less on where we play. It was fun when we were competitive and miserable when we were crappy. Hopefully, I can emphasize “when” we were crappy after this season
Mista' Dave...Amen to that
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

The Dome was never the problem for Tulane Football.
FYI, here is what Temple pays to rent Lincoln Financial Field.
Currently, the school pays $1 million a year to use the stadium (166,666 per game 6 home games). For a new 30-year lease, the Eagles are asking for $2 million a year plus $12 million up front(333,333.00 per game 6 home games).

http://www.phillyvoice.com/temple-footb ... ough-2018/
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:18 pm The Dome was never the problem for Tulane Football.
Currently, the school pays $1 million a year to use the stadium (166,666 per game 6 home games). For a new 30-year lease, the Eagles are asking for $2 million a year plus $12 million up front(333,333.00 per game 6 home games).

who the hell gives the Eagles the right to ask for anything...The City of Brotherly Love, owns the dump
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Financial_Field
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We clearly had a sweetheart deal at the Dome, but then again, it went back to when the Dome was built, and how Tulane was joined at the hip with the birth of the Saints. The later days of Tulane in the Dome, when we were drawing 5K fans (and I say that's generous, given I could count the fans one year at Homecoming) the Dome was a morgue. I don't regret our move back to Campus, I just wish we didn't cave to the NIMBYs.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Pepper
Swell

Contrary to popular belief, Benson was making it difficult on SMG when it came to Tulane playing the night before Saints games. I witnessed Sidwell walking around with a video camera filming garbage cans that were not emptied for Sunday game day. The Saints wanted zero events held in the dome on Saturday of saints home games.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:10 pm
wave97 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:18 pm The Dome was never the problem for Tulane Football.

who the hell gives the Eagles the right to ask for anything...The City of Brotherly Love, owns the dump
Jeffrey Lurie and the Eagles were given the right to sublet the stadium as they see fit. The City of Philadelphia & State of Pennsylvania hack politicians in plain sight caved to the Eagles extortion (and got re-elected!).
The only franchise owner who I know of, who never received a public nickel for any of his sports venues was Ed Snider, owner Philadelphia Flyers. He founded the Flyers and Spectacor and merged with Comcast and they ultimately purchased NBC Universal. I could tell you stories about the behind the scenes generosity of Ed Snider that would bring tears to your eyes. His former players to a man would do everything but kill for him.
He was the definition of the word Mensch, sadly he died two years ago.
Last edited by wave97 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:14 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Jeffrey Lurie and the Eagles were given the right to sublet the stadium as they see fit. The City of Philadelphia & State of Pennsylvania hack politicians in plain sight caved to the Eagles extortion (and got re-elected!).
The only franchise owner who I know of, who never received a public nickel for any of his sports venues was Ed Snider, owner Philadelphia Flyers. He founded the Flyers and Spectacor and merged with Comcast and they ultimately purchased NBC Universal. I could tell you stories about the behind the scenes generosity of Ed Snider that would bring tears to your eyes. His former players to a man would do everything but kill for him.
He was the definition of the word Mensch, sadly he died two years ago.
What the hell !!!!... A stadium built with public funds is being held hostage by a private company ?.. A public university wants to use the stadium for their games and this POS dictates terms...are the people of Pennsylvania that f#@king stupid ?...i can see if there was a convention or some type of private event...but for a public school to use a publicly funded facility and the eagles get to dictate terms, the elected officials from Louisiana must have been consulted prior to the agreement being signed !!!!...I don't watch the NFL, nor do I buy any NFL merchandise, but this is crazy...I mean where are the Eagles going to relocate to, ..Albuqrerque ?
wave97
Swell

Few things in this world would make me happier than seeing the NFL just go away. What a debacle.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I've just read where the fine state of Louisiana are working on an agreement that will keep the Saints in New Orleans for another 30 years. Which is exactly as it should be.

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/arti ... sktop_push

But I'm wondering if the Benson family ever re=paid the state for all the concessions made back in the early part of this century? And it was a BOATLOAD of money that the Benson family got to profit from. Not to mention the family practically took ownership of the Superdome.

I appreciate what the Bensons do for Tulane, particularly with regards to using the IPF in Metry, and having practices at the SuperDome. But I thought the bill was still unpaid to the tune of at least $100 million from years ago when Mr. Benson was considering moving the team.

If I'm wrong about this, please chime in and let me know. Y'all are a lot closer to this than I am.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The concessions are what they are...but back in the day when ole Tom was buying the Saints, he did no thave enuff cash, or the ability to get the $$$...guess who gave him almost 30 million to complete the sale, the State of Louisiana ..when Mecom was selling the team, there were buyers, who were going to relocate the team to JaxVille or Phoenix...the State made a proposal to the NFL that they would buy the Saints and it would be run like the Green Bay Packers, the only other NFL team that is citizen/taxpayer owned..the NFL, seeing the political "football" this could become told them Hell no..upstepped exNOLA Citizen by way of San Antonio Tom Benson ..the rest is Katrina history
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The Benson's do not practically own the Dome. They get all revenue on Saints game days. That's it. They also don't have anything to do with us practicing in the Dome. The Dome wants us to practice there because part of the last deal with the Saints is that a new turf gets put down every season. Those fields need to be played on to smooth things out. There was a good deal of slipping and sliding at the game Friday.. They also don't owe anything due to the deal you referenced. Those things were done to keep the team here and keep it in the mix for NC games in football and basketball.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 pm The concessions are what they are...but back in the day when ole Tom was buying the Saints, he did no thave enuff cash, or the ability to get the $$$...guess who gave him almost 30 million to complete the sale, the State of Louisiana ..when Mecom was selling the team, there were buyers, who were going to relocate the team to JaxVille or Phoenix...the State made a proposal to the NFL that they would buy the Saints and it would be run like the Green Bay Packers, the only other NFL team that is citizen/taxpayer owned..the NFL, seeing the political "football" this could become told them Hell no..upstepped exNOLA Citizen by way of San Antonio Tom Benson ..the rest is Katrina history
I thought there were more state funded concessions more recently than when Benson purchased the Saints. Again, I could be wrong, but I thought he got some sweat heart deal around the aftermath of Katrina?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:31 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 pm The concessions are what they are...but back in the day when ole Tom was buying the Saints, he did no thave enuff cash, or the ability to get the $$$...guess who gave him almost 30 million to complete the sale, the State of Louisiana ..when Mecom was selling the team, there were buyers, who were going to relocate the team to JaxVille or Phoenix...the State made a proposal to the NFL that they would buy the Saints and it would be run like the Green Bay Packers, the only other NFL team that is citizen/taxpayer owned..the NFL, seeing the political "football" this could become told them Hell no..upstepped exNOLA Citizen by way of San Antonio Tom Benson ..the rest is Katrina history
I thought there were more state funded concessions more recently than when Benson purchased the Saints. Again, I could be wrong, but I thought he got some sweat heart deal around the aftermath of Katrina?
I may be mistaken, but I think all of the incentives/concessions that were made after the Katrina threat of moving to San Antonio are all that is left of any agreement. However, the intital $$$'s given to actually buy the Saints, as I understand, has not been repaid...but then again, it's only money, and tax payer money at that, no body is asking for it back. .besides, what's 30 million between friends ...
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm I may be mistaken, but I think all of the incentives/concessions that were made after the Katrina threat of moving to San Antonio are all that is left of any agreement. However, the intital $$$'s given to actually buy the Saints, as I understand, has not been repaid...but then again, it's only money, and tax payer money at that, no body is asking for it back. .besides, what's 30 million between friends ...
That was what my memory had, but then again, I'm viewing from afar, and it's not my tax dollars. I thought there was one agreement when he bought the team that was never repaid, and another when they threatened to move to San Antonio. Now they're getting 2/3 of the refurbishment costs funded by taxpayers. Meanwhile the public schools of Louisiana are horrible and desperately need better funding. And most other NFL teams are building their own stadiums without public tax dollar assistance.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:56 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm I may be mistaken, but I think all of the incentives/concessions that were made after the Katrina threat of moving to San Antonio are all that is left of any agreement. However, the intital $$$'s given to actually buy the Saints, as I understand, has not been repaid...but then again, it's only money, and tax payer money at that, no body is asking for it back. .besides, what's 30 million between friends ...
That was what my memory had, but then again, I'm viewing from afar, and it's not my tax dollars. I thought there was one agreement when he bought the team that was never repaid, and another when they threatened to move to San Antonio. Now they're getting 2/3 of the refurbishment costs funded by taxpayers. Meanwhile the public schools of Louisiana are horrible and desperately need better funding. And most other NFL teams are building their own stadiums without public tax dollar assistance.
I'm not defending any of this; however, while the Louisiana public schools are generally poor, more funding would not necessarily make them much better. The bar has to be set low or too many could never get through.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 pm
I'm not defending any of this; however, while the Louisiana public schools are generally poor, more funding would not necessarily make them much better. The bar has to be set low or too many could never get through.
got it..have zero expectations, and U will never be disappointed.....
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 pm
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

1) Most nfl teams are not self funding their stadium, the Rams are an outlier
2) More funding, even wasteful, would not make LA schools better? What type of statement is that? Legit one of the most absurd comments.

Outside these ridiculous comments, Lurie (Eagles owner) is scum. Pitt, Tampa and Miami have all made it work, understanding that the local university is integral to the given city’s health. We had they same relationship with the dome.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:06 am 1) Most nfl teams are not self funding their stadium, the Rams are an outlier
2) More funding, even wasteful, would not make LA schools better? What type of statement is that? Legit one of the most absurd comments.

Outside these ridiculous comments, Lurie (Eagles owner) is scum. Pitt, Tampa and Miami have all made it work, understanding that the local university is integral to the given city’s health. We had they same relationship with the dome.
How about Dallas, or MetLife Stadium in NJ etc? Not a penny of public funding went into those state of the art stadiums.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:37 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:06 am 1) Most nfl teams are not self funding their stadium, the Rams are an outlier

How about Dallas, or MetLife Stadium in NJ etc? Not a penny of public funding went into those state of the art stadiums.
Glad u asked. Let’s go:

1) we are talking about such a small percentage of teams, the vast majority have direct public financing. You can think whatever u like, but these publicly financed deals should be very accommodating to local universities like Pitt, USF, Temple and miami. (And Umass :D )
2) As far as the stadium in New Jersey, they have a sweet heart lease deal on the land let’s agree that a massive amount of acres are normally pretty expensive in the ny/nj area.
3) with jerry world, the city raised taxes across the board and gave a cheap bond deal to get it done. But yes, jerry did put out a lot of cash. Must have been difficult seeing as his franchise is the most valuable in all of sports. Poor guy.
4) in all cases the nfl extends cheap loans of over $200mm, but that is not all that important, i guess.
5) the new stadium in ATL may cost taxpayers as much as $700mm. Yet the ATL is a thriving area. What a deal.
6) Cali folks are notorious for sayin FU to anyone building a stadium. Hence the raiders, A’s, clippers and chargers situations. But there is so much money in the state. The new Rams stadium should be interesting, not sure if it gets done with one tenant. I give the people credit but they have the luxury of a thriving economy, so they can spit on these owners demands.
7) $750mm in public financing for the new Raiders stadium.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:17 pm The Benson's do not practically own the Dome. They get all revenue on Saints game days. That's it. They also don't have anything to do with us practicing in the Dome. The Dome wants us to practice there because part of the last deal with the Saints is that a new turf gets put down every season. Those fields need to be played on to smooth things out. There was a good deal of slipping and sliding at the game Friday.. They also don't owe anything due to the deal you referenced. Those things were done to keep the team here and keep it in the mix for NC games in football and basketball.
Are u forgetting about Benson Tower? Taxpayers were once again screwed to the needs of a billionaire.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I didn't forget about Benson Tower. It just wasn't part of the conversation. We were talking about the Dome.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:18 am I didn't forget about Benson Tower. It just wasn't part of the conversation. We were talking about the Dome.
one thing for sure...after the next Hurricane, I am going to check the State's web site and see if they are giving away buildings, that I can lease back to the State for twice the normal rent
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:18 am I didn't forget about Benson Tower. It just wasn't part of the conversation. We were talking about the Dome.
The Benson Tower deal is intertwined with the Saints deal with the publicly owned Dome. It’s just shifting the money from one similarly owned entity to another for PR purposes.