Justin Campbell denied Admission

Talk about the latest recruits here.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:54 am
tpstulane wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 pm Update. Good news bad news. Good news is Tulane still accepts NCAA minimums in all sports. So the 19 ACT wasn’t an issue. Bad news I’m told there was a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions. Unfortunately the Dean of Admissions didn’t feel comfortable enough to allow admission. (I’m assuming the recent Hollywood admissions scandal’s probably made him err on the cautious side) TD had a long discussion with admissions but was unable to change the Dean’s mind. It really hurts because of the quality player Campbell is projected to be. I think if it was a lesser player it wouldn’t have even been noticed.
I’m not sure what a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions means, but I don’t see how the Hollywood admissions scandal comes in to play. Part of the scandal was that the kids were being “recruited” in sports that they were not actually any good at. Campbell is obviously a very good prospect, so that kind of eliminates any potential scandal.
The Hollywood scandal part may not have come into play with the Dean. I was just trying to give thought to that idea as a possibility.
Sounds like the Dean of Admissions has the courage of a rabbit. Dean of Admissions = Federal Drug Administration inspector = it's always safer to say "no" --rarely can the consequences of a "no", or the collateral damage from a "no", be measured. Say "no", and stay safe.
how does the Hollywood thing come into pay...here is a student /athlete that has been drafted by the Pro's and this dumb azz Dean implied his selection was a scam, so he could enter Tulane?...Somebody needs to be fired, and you can start at the top...let's ee , Tulane will admit murders, but not a kid with a 19 on a test score....what a bunch of BS
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:58 am
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:54 am
tpstulane wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 pm Update. Good news bad news. Good news is Tulane still accepts NCAA minimums in all sports. So the 19 ACT wasn’t an issue. Bad news I’m told there was a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions. Unfortunately the Dean of Admissions didn’t feel comfortable enough to allow admission. (I’m assuming the recent Hollywood admissions scandal’s probably made him err on the cautious side) TD had a long discussion with admissions but was unable to change the Dean’s mind. It really hurts because of the quality player Campbell is projected to be. I think if it was a lesser player it wouldn’t have even been noticed.
I’m not sure what a discrepancy with paperwork submitted to admissions means, but I don’t see how the Hollywood admissions scandal comes in to play. Part of the scandal was that the kids were being “recruited” in sports that they were not actually any good at. Campbell is obviously a very good prospect, so that kind of eliminates any potential scandal.
The Hollywood scandal part may not have come into play with the Dean. I was just trying to give thought to that idea as a possibility.
Sounds like the Dean of Admissions has the courage of a rabbit. Dean of Admissions = Federal Drug Administration inspector = it's always safer to say "no" --rarely can the consequences of a "no", or the collateral damage from a "no", be measured. Say "no", and stay safe.
how does teh Hollywood thing come into pay...here is a student /athlete that has been drafted by the Pro's and tis dumb azz Dean implied his selection was a scam so he could enter Tulane?...Somebody needs to be fired, and you can start at the top...let's ee , Tulane will admit murders, but not a kid with a 19 on a test score....what a bunch of BS
Somebody, Dannen or somebody else in the Athletic Dept (TJ won't be around long enough to do it), should track what happens to Justin over the next several years. Only when we can demonstrate the outcome of these kind of follies, can we hope to change the process.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We will probably never know the actual reasons he wasn't admitted. It stinks that we lost what was probably our best baseball recruit this year, but something wasn't right. And we DO NOT have a RIGHT to know. There are privacy laws that prohibit the administration from telling us what happened.

Besides, it's football season. Move on.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:06 pm We will probably never know the actual reasons he wasn't admitted. It stinks that we lost what was probably our best baseball recruit this year, but something wasn't right. And we DO NOT have a RIGHT to know. There are privacy laws that prohibit the administration from telling us what happened.

But next time Dannen is passing the hat for donations, he may need to answer questions about how this can be avoided in the future. What we do know is that Justin Campbell met NCAA minimums--why didn't that get him in?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:11 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:06 pm We will probably never know the actual reasons he wasn't admitted. It stinks that we lost what was probably our best baseball recruit this year, but something wasn't right. And we DO NOT have a RIGHT to know. There are privacy laws that prohibit the administration from telling us what happened.

But next time Dannen is passing the hat for donations, he may need to answer questions about how this can be avoided in the future. What we do know is that Justin Campbell met NCAA minimums--why didn't that get him in?
And a significant donor should ask the question privately and might get an answer that's more generic than specific to this student. I don't give enough to Tulane to ask. And the Administration would never answer in public, it's too sensitive an issue.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Sometimes Tulane admin makes me fill like i'm one of only 2 people who want to win. If Jewett didn't think he would've got admitted, he would not have wasted 2 years of his life recruiting him. Lets not act like Jewett was out recruiting the penitentiary league and found this kid, This kid was everything Jewett wanted and someone who is supposed to be on his own side screwed him over. It sounds like we lost our top hitting coach to LSU because of it according to people on this board.

What happened here this time should never happen again if they meet the requirement scores. They don't have all the paperwork filled out, fine, troy dannen should have someone on staff to fill it out for him and ensure he is in. We are trying to win.

Play athletics and you meet the requirements and the coach wants you, you are in...period. To act like this dean did a good job is bs.....he screwed us. This kid alone was worth multiple wins on the mound. Everyone wants Tulane baseball to be good....well here is a big reason why we are not and its easily preventable.

Dannen either has no voice and is powerless, or he didn't even try. Both are not good. We ave very few people who want to win in baseball in the admin, and they are probably only in the dugout.....everyone else doesn't have their back or does bare minimum to help. frustrating.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RollWaveRoll wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:09 pm Sometimes Tulane admin makes me fill like i'm one of only 2 people who want to win. If Jewett didn't think he would've got admitted, he would not have wasted 2 years of his life recruiting him. Lets not act like Jewett was out recruiting the penitentiary league and found this kid, This kid was everything Jewett wanted and someone who is supposed to be on his own side screwed him over. It sounds like we lost our top hitting coach to LSU because of it according to people on this board.

What happened here this time should never happen again if they meet the requirement scores. They don't have all the paperwork filled out, fine, troy dannen should have someone on staff to fill it out for him and ensure he is in. We are trying to win.

Play athletics and you meet the requirements and the coach wants you, you are in...period. To act like this dean did a good job is bs.....he screwed us. This kid alone was worth multiple wins on the mound. Everyone wants Tulane baseball to be good....well here is a big reason why we are not and its easily preventable.

Dannen either has no voice and is powerless, or he didn't even try. Both are not good. We ave very few people who want to win in baseball in the admin, and they are probably only in the dugout.....everyone else doesn't have their back or does bare minimum to help. frustrating.
What do you know about this kid's academics that the rest of us don't know? Seriously, we have NO IDEA why he didn't get in.
austxwave
High Tide

You guys all need to let this go. Bitching and moaning about a subject none of us know anything about doesn't accomplish anything. Let's put our focus on the student/athletes that are enrolled at Tulane and not the ones who aren't.
Profoundwizard
Swell

austxwave wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:50 pm You guys all need to let this go. Bitching and moaning about a subject none of us know anything about doesn't accomplish anything. Let's put our focus on the student/athletes that are enrolled at Tulane and not the ones who aren't.
It’s a message board, we’re supposed to be bitching and moaning about things we don’t know about
Show Me
Tsunami

Let’s put this in simple terms. We are still not on equal terms with a Big 12 school otherwise Campbell would be at his school of choice Tulane. To compete at the highest level this can’t happen. Why is he not allowed in at Tulane but he’s fine at Ok St?
So if we are admitting student athletes at the NCAA with minimum test scores we must be requiring something other than OSU for admission. Until that part is fixed we still can’t say we’re on an even playing field with other D1’s. Happy to see TD going to bat for this kid with admissions but we still need a better outcome.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

[/quote]

What do you know about this kid's academics that the rest of us don't know? Seriously, we have NO IDEA why he didn't get in.
[/quote]

Serious question, just trying to understand.....not trying to be upfront. Why do you think we suck at every single sport and have zero sustained success in anything? Do you honestly think it’s because we always hire the wrong coaches in all sports, all 100 of them in last 50 years?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:25 pm
[/quote]

Serious question, just trying to understand.....not trying to be upfront. Why do you think we suck at every single sport and have zero sustained success in anything? Do you honestly think it’s because we always hire the wrong coaches in all sports, all 100 of them in last 50 years?
[/quote]

To be fair, Tulane can’t pound it’s chest and claim superiority over similar schools but then take a reckless approach to both admitting student athletes and keeping them eligible. Beyond the obvious moral implications, a scandal of any form would hurt Tulane’s reputation significantly more than it would hurt the reputation of a random good (but not elite) state school, especially since Tulane relies on recruiting nationally so students and their parents that have never been near Louisiana have to continue to have a positive opinion of the university for Tulane to continue on its current path.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Comparing Campbell’s situation with the admissions scandals out west is just wacky.
I think it is clear, Fball and Bball has min NCAA standards, all other sports, not so much. Not hard to decipher.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Nice outing for the big Freshman
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I wish we had got him and seen what Latham could do with him. I'm sorry he didn't get to play for the team of his choice and wish him all the best. Currently he is 1-2 with a 4.43 ERA. That's been racked up against Grand Canyon, UT Rio Grande, Illinois and BYU. So he might not even be in our weekend rotation at this point.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:57 pm I wish we had got him and seen what Latham could do with him. I'm sorry he didn't get to play for the team of his choice and wish him all the best. Currently he is 1-2 with a 4.43 ERA. That's been racked up against Grand Canyon, UT Rio Grande, Illinois and BYU. So he might not even be in our weekend rotation at this point.
Well he’d be playing somewhere. He leads the team in hitting at .391 (9 for 23) Slugging at .565 1 Hr.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

My response was to your original post before it was edited that said how good we'd be with him and Olthoff as our weekend starting pitchers. As to the rest like I said I wish we would have got him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
McWave
High Tide

With limited scholarship money to go around and assuming Campbell was admitted, who would we not have? I have no idea if this even came into play. Did we pick up anyone after losing Campbell?
Show Me
Tsunami

Imagine if we had him on the weekends as well. Tulane Tulane’d itself again denying this kid admission. I guess he should have been a basketball or FB player then he’d gotten in.
He’s tearing it up for OSU Micah Owings like.
https://www.ocolly.com/sports/just-in-t ... 3ed83.html
Due to Tulane’s air-tight admissions office and sky-high test score qualifications, Campbell could no longer attend the school he signed to. He had to find a different home.

Campbell was speechless.

Since arriving in Stillwater, Campbell has shined. His 2020 season was off to a hot start, with his last outing being an eight-inning shutout performance against BYU, and he hit .414 in the 10 games he was in the lineup. COVID-19 cut his freshman season short, but Campbell has been dominant so far in 2021.

Through seven outings, Campbell is 4-0 with 1.15 ERA and 56 strikeouts.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:05 pm Imagine if we had him on the weekends as well. Tulane Tulane’d itself again denying this kid admission. I guess he should have been a basketball or FB player then he’d gotten in.
Show Me I have to compliment you on an exemplary use of the verb "Tulane'd". We certainly came up with a new way to lose...don't let the star player into school! Tulane certainly Tulaned itself with or without the apostrophe.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:05 pm Imagine if we had him on the weekends as well. Tulane Tulane’d itself again denying this kid admission. I guess he should have been a basketball or FB player then he’d gotten in.
Due to Tulane’s air-tight admissions office and sky-high test score qualifications, Campbell could no longer attend the school he signed to. He had to find a different home.

Campbell was speechless.

Since arriving in Stillwater, Campbell has shined. His 2020 season was off to a hot start, with his last outing being an eight-inning shutout performance against BYU, and he hit .414 in the 10 games he was in the lineup. COVID-19 cut his freshman season short, but Campbell has been dominant so far in 2021.

No surprise he’s doing so well. He was the top recruit in our class. The sad thing is he really wanted to come to Tulane. Sucks all around. This never would have happened in any other sport male or female. May end costing Jewett his job.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Campbell was speechless.

No surprise he’s doing so well. He was the top recruit in our class. The sad thing is he really wanted to come to Tulane. Sucks all around. This never would have happened in any other sport male or female. May end costing Jewett his job.
Or it could end up being another reason that they give Jewett more time
Jaxwave
Swell

This is why I tell you guys quit blaming coaches. There is an institutional problem.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:36 pm This is why I tell you guys quit blaming coaches. There is an institutional problem.
Coaches still matter. David Pierce won despite the institutional problems
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Tulane serves up one more reason to be laughed at by the rest of the collegiate athletic world. Absolutely idiotic that Campbell wasn’t allowed to attend Tulane.