Line Closing Tulane 3 pts. > FIU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:21 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:03 am
Wave755 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:53 am Last year FAU beat FIU 49 to 14, a home game for FIU. FIU’s “big wins” for 2018 were over Middle Tennessee and Toledo, a win in each game by 3 points. FIU beat nobody really in 2018.

This game reminds of last year’s Cure Bowl against ‘Mighty ULALA.
And two years ago we played FIU in Miami. They beat us by double digits. Since then they've won a bunch more games than we have and they're recruiting classes have been better than ours. Their coach is no slouch. Yet you think we just need to throw our players out on the field at Yulman and we're going to crush them. I'm only trying to be the voice of reason. This game reminds you of the POS bowl we played last year. It reminds me of the UAB game, another one that folks thought we'd walk onto the field and win.
These guys are “Paper Panthers,” and I think we are a lot closer to a FAU than the Toledo Rockets team they beat by 3 pts. in the “Nassau Bahamas Bowl.”

We will see who is right on Thursday, 8/29. :D
I hope it's you. But I don't think we should take this team lightly. They win games.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'll start worrying when one of our players says they are a lesser team.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:43 am I'll start worrying when one of our players says they are a lesser team.
So, the fact that they beat us by double digits two years ago, and have had better ranked recruiting classes and a coach that's got more pelts on the wall than Fritz doesn't concern you at all? OK, keep whistling past the graveyard. I think/hope/pray we win this game, but it's far from the given "W" most here are claiming.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:59 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:43 am I'll start worrying when one of our players says they are a lesser team.
So, the fact that they beat us by double digits two years ago, and have had better ranked recruiting classes and a coach that's got more pelts on the wall than Fritz doesn't concern you at all? OK, keep whistling past the graveyard. I think/hope/pray we win this game, but it's far from the given "W" most here are claiming.
You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I have been clear that we need to be ready for that game. We are better than two years ago and now have a modern OC but being us we can't look past anyone. My post above is about the fact that I'm not worried by a couple of posters saying things. I'll worry if I hear the players talk like that like they did before the UAB game. Calm down already. Sheesh.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:36 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:59 pm
You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I have been clear that we need to be ready for that game. We are better than two years ago and now have a modern OC but being us we can't look past anyone. My post above is about the fact that I'm not worried by a couple of posters saying things. I'll worry if I hear the players talk like that like they did before the UAB game. Calm down already. Sheesh.
You need to take the chill pill. LMFAO, you might as well have yelled "don't post at me with that tone of voice" !!

You always think you know posters psyche on an internet posting board. Chill out, dude.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Of course you won't admit you're wrong. Shocker. :roll:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BTW everybody in the last four recruiting classes we were ranked higher than FIU by Rivals in three of them and tied in the other one. They aren't loading up on 4 stars per Rivals.
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:30 am
Wave755 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:53 am Last year FAU beat FIU 49 to 14, a home game for FIU. FIU’s “big wins” for 2018 were over Middle Tennessee and Toledo, a win in each game by 3 points. FIU beat nobody really in 2018.

And two years ago we played FIU in Miami. They beat us by double digits. Since then they've won a bunch more games than we have and they're recruiting classes have been better than ours. Their coach is no slouch. Yet you think we just need to throw our players out on the field at Yulman and we're going to crush them. I'm only trying to be the voice of reason. This game reminds you of the POS bowl we played last year. It reminds me of the UAB game, another one that folks thought we'd walk onto the field and win.
These guys are “Paper Panthers,” and I think we are a lot closer to a FAU than the Toledo Rockets team they beat by 3 pts. in the “Nassau Bahamas Bowl.”

I hope it's you. But I don't think we should take this team lightly. They win games.

I am with you on this one. FIU has transformed into a winning G5 program. I am a fan of the way they scheduled none powerhouse programs in order to rack up wins and get their community behind their football program. Say what’s y’all want, but thier program won 9 games and are penciling in Tulane as a win for this season. I know we can win, but I am very nervous about losing this one. Butch is has a winning program coming to New Orleans to win. Yes, we won a bowl game last year, but we are not to the level of looking down on SBC teams. We need to play FIU like we are facing Florida State.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

They definitely have had some talent sign with them. This puts them #1 I conf USA and 68th nationally with a high average rating.

https://247sports.com/college/florida-i ... l/Commits/

They have a lot of talent returning as well:

“In their pre-season All C-USA teams, Athlon Magazine had 13 FIU players selected, the highest number of any other C-USA team“
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Even there Tulane had the higher average rating. So we've had some talent signing with us too.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:51 pm

I am with you on this one. FIU has transformed into a winning G5 program. I am a fan of the way they scheduled none powerhouse programs in order to rack up wins and get their community behind their football program. Say what’s y’all want, but thier program won 9 games and are penciling in Tulane as a win for this season. I know we can win, but I am very nervous about losing this one. Butch is has a winning program coming to New Orleans to win. Yes, we won a bowl game last year, but we are not to the level of looking down on SBC teams. We need to play FIU like we are facing Florida State.
Wave QB, there is zero likelihood our team will take FIU lightly for this season's game opener @ Yulman. And, the Wave will be FIU's first real test against a decent football team since Butch Davis' Panthers were crushed by FAU 49 to 14 on November 3, 2018 @ FIU Riccardo Silva Stadium. Wins by FIU over Alcorn St., Old Dominion, UMass, AR-Pine Bluff, Middle Tenn., W.Ky, UTSA, Charlotte & Toledo don't count for real opponents.

I still say these guys are "Paper Panthers" who proved it when only squeaking by Toledo 35 to 32 in the 2018 "Nassau Bahamas Bowl.."

And, there is no way McMillan will go 5/16 for 36 yards and one interception for this coming 8/29.

ROLL WAVE ROLL!!!

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It's not like McMillan lit it up once he was given the job. Do you realize he had some of these gem performances:

USF 4 of 11 for 61 yards
Tulsa 10 of 19 for 92 yards
Cinci 11 of 26 for 130

The game he threw for his career high, versus ECU, he was 12 of 28 for 372 yards aided by quite a few short passes that turned into long gainers.

"SHOW ME!"
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:41 pm It's not like McMillan lit it up once he was given the job. Do you realize he had some of these gem performances:

USF 4 of 11 for 61 yards
Tulsa 10 of 19 for 92 yards
Cinci 11 of 26 for 130

The game he threw for his career high, versus ECU, he was 12 of 28 for 372 yards aided by quite a few short passes that turned into long gainers.

"SHOW ME!"
And, with McMillan at QB we have won 5 of our last 6 (.833). :D
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

My only concern is that we are Tulane. We've always laid the egg when it counted. So, let's just see what happens on 8/29. The most important game is the next one...
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

McMillan does a great job protecting the ball and I think has great Instincts. He did literally walk into a brand new offensive program and took over the reigns. We are all on the same side, I think some of us just want us to be a little more measured with our words and respect that we have lost these games with a high frequency in the past. Now, I think we are going to beat FIU by 10, but we haven’t earned the right to look down on anyone. Even the cream of Conf USA. 12 all conference players is a big number. They admit anyone who can spell their name in Florida and Juco ranks. Beware
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:07 pm My only concern is that we are Tulane. We've always laid the egg when it counted. So, let's just see what happens on 8/29. The most important game is the next one...
Yep!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm McMillan does a great job protecting the ball and I think has great Instincts. He did literally walk into a brand new offensive program and took over the reigns. We are all on the same side, I think some of us just want us to be a little more measured with our words and respect that we have lost these games with a high frequency in the past. Now, I think we are going to beat FIU by 10, but we haven’t earned the right to look down on anyone. Even the cream of Conf USA. 12 all conference players is a big number. They admit anyone who can spell their name in Florida and Juco ranks. Beware
Agreed.
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm McMillan does a great job protecting the ball and I think has great Instincts. He did literally walk into a brand new offensive program and took over the reigns. We are all on the same side, I think some of us just want us to be a little more measured with our words and respect that we have lost these games with a high frequency in the past. Now, I think we are going to beat FIU by 10, but we haven’t earned the right to look down on anyone. Even the cream of Conf USA. 12 all conference players is a big number. They admit anyone who can spell their name in Florida and Juco ranks. Beware
On balance Banks was a negative for the offense, for each good judgment play he made, he made two bad judgment plays, mostly with the game on the line for attempting "one man super heroics". McMillan to now has been "steady," no super numbers, but steady, and he makes good decisions for us when it counts. The only way FIU beats us is if we turn it over to them. We are a much better team than the MAC Toledo Rockets team FIU struggled against in the Bahamas Bowl..
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm
On balance Banks was a negative for the offense, for each good judgment play he made, he made two bad judgment plays, mostly with the game on the line for attempting "one man super heroics". McMillan to now has been "steady," no super numbers, but steady, and he makes good decisions for us when it counts. The only way FIU beats us is if we turn it over to them. We are a much better team than the MAC Toledo Rockets team FIU struggled against in the Bahamas Bowl..
I concur with all of these recent posts. I will say I think McMillans passing numbers belie his effectiveness in SOME ways. He is sneaky fast, and had a few amazing and timely runs. His quickness continues to be understated.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bottom line is if we are going to be as good as most of us think we are, this is a must win. It's not a "gimme" win, and I fear we may not see our offense hit stride until October. Virtually everyone that posts agrees we will be better and more dynamic on offense, but you cannot expect mastering a new offense, with a HUGE change in tempo from game one.

Just win, baby. Just win.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This is captain obvious stuff. No one is looking past FIU. Just because one believes we will win based on our improvements doesn't mean they are looking down their nose at FIU. We do have one poster who may or may not be a little effusive but that doesn't mean everyone is looking past this opponent. In fact that loss to them still stings us die-hards and we're looking forward to exacting revenge.

NO ONE expects the offense to be at full throttle right out the chute. We do expect to notice a different approach and do expect that it will get better as the season progresses. RR's offense took to year two to really get rolling but we could see the difference early on. That was a dramatic change requiring players to do things they had not done before. The offense Hall will run has been something that these players have done before. The progression should be quicker.
Eaglewave
Swell

Here you go being scared again for no damn reason. SLU had you scared a few years ago, FCS #21 Grambling and their Ole Miss transfer, FCS #11 Nicholls, USF and ULL were all teams that you were terrified of for no damn reason. FIU iis not a G5 powerhouse, and they have beaten up on tomato cans. We aren't the same ole Tulane anymore. We have a coach who knows how to win and has finally put his roster into play. Opening day , we will put a beating on this C-USA team. Bet the house on it.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Here you go being scared again for no damn reason. SLU had you scared a few years ago, FCS #21 Grambling and their Ole Miss transfer, FCS #11 Nicholls, USF and ULL were all teams that you were terrified of for no damn reason. FIU iis not a G5 powerhouse, and they have beaten up on tomato cans. We aren't the same ole Tulane anymore. We have a coach who knows how to win and has finally put his roster into play. Opening day , we will put a beating on this C-USA team. Bet the house on it.
+1 EagleWave :thumbup:
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I always despise/love reading other teams' boards and watching them look past us. It fuels my desire for Tulane upsets & the eternal drive for Tulane to earn respect. SBNAtion's in depth analysis has FIU favored against us. I don't think comparing them to FCS teams like grambling and nichols is fair and instead reeks of hubris. Comparing them to ULL, Marshall & UNT is fair. The loss at FIU with the DJ playing in their stadium should have tempered our hubris.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ule-roster
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:04 pm

And Eagle Wave, I too remember when they got their "panties in a bunch" warning me ULALA might humiliate the Wave on national television for the Cure Bowl. Instead, but for Tulane's turnovers the Cure Bowl would have been a complete blowout from start to finish. And yes, you are correct, they also got their "knickers in a knot" from great game week fear and trepidation for both Grambling State and Nicholls State.

Just as for now, in 1997 the national media showed the Wave no respect. Respect must be earned, the 16 years of Cowen from 1998 to 2014 have taken their toll. We will re-earn the respect of the national media this year. But for now, we still don't have it. The ESPN game predictor shows Tulane 50.5%, FIU 49.5 %.https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /401114236