2019 Early Season Stunnah's

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

my early season / opening week end pick

Utah State on the road over Wake Forest Special Teams will be the difference

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am my early season / opening week end pick

How big of an upset would that be? Utah State went 11-2 last year, their only losses were on the road to ranked teams by a total of 16 points. Wake admittedly played a tougher schedule, but finished 7-6 last year. They did beat Tulane to open the season, and Memphis to end the season (in the Birmingham Bowl).
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:19 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am my early season / opening week end pick

How big of an upset would that be? Utah State went 11-2 last year, their only losses were on the road to ranked teams by a total of 16 points. Wake admittedly played a tougher schedule, but finished 7-6 last year. They did beat Tulane to open the season, and Memphis to end the season (in the Birmingham Bowl).
c'mon...they play in the MWC...they are a "G" team, on the road against an all powerful PEE team.....plus State lost lots of starters and has a new Coach, on the road first game of the season...
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:37 pm

c'mon...they play in the WAC...they are a "G" team, on the road against an all powerful PEE team.....plus State lost lots of starters and has a new Coach, on the road first game of the season...
They play in the MWC, I think. But I can give you the almighty PEE versus a little ole G. So you're right, Wake should be favored!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:52 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:37 pm

c'mon...they play in the WAC...they are a "G" team, on the road against an all powerful PEE team.....plus State lost lots of starters and has a new Coach, on the road first game of the season...
They play in the MWC, I think. But I can give you the almighty PEE versus a little ole G. So you're right, Wake should be favored!!
U are correct, I had my west and western confused......
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Utah State lost its coach to Texas Tech during the offseason. Successful G5 teams that lose their HC coach (and the associated staff) almost always experience some degree of regression in the following season.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:38 pm

Utah State lost its coach to Texas Tech during the offseason. Successful G5 teams that lose their HC coach (and the associated staff) almost always experience some degree of regression in the following season.
A "do over"
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... gon-state/
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Some G5's go downhill quickly after a coaching change, some don't. Look in the AAC, for great examples of programs that withstood a coach moving to a PEE job. USF, UCF, and Memphis seem to have done pretty well after their successful coaches went to greener pastures. Houston struggled under the Major. It's definitely not an automatic down tick, depends on who the replacement coach is.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 pm It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Some G5's go downhill quickly after a coaching change, some don't. Look in the AAC, for great examples of programs that withstood a coach moving to a PEE job. USF, UCF, and Memphis seem to have done pretty well after their successful coaches went to greener pastures. Houston struggled under the Major. It's definitely not an automatic down tick, depends on who the replacement coach is.
Major got the job becasue Mack Brown got inside Tillman Ferritita's ego ....I do no think Major is allowed inside the Austin city limits... Hell, we do not want him in Georgetown either