CFN's AAC Coaching Rankings

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

not sure I agree with these rankings..some have done more with less, and some, less with more

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/07 ... eview-2019

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:32 am not sure I agree with these rankings..some have done more with less, and some, less with more

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/07 ... eview-2019
I agree with your assessment, 'nut!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

Phil Steele’s magazine has the Tulane coaching staff at number two in the conference.
anEngineer
Riptide

This coaching staff has:
1) Taken joke special teams and made them respectable
2) Maintained a defensive front 7 that withstands graduation without disaster (maybe still getting better)
3) Recognized that they could not get the type of QB needed to run the offense they wanted, so they changed the OC and QB style

I can't ask for much more than that out of a head coach/staff, and I think our staff is still learning and getting better within the conference.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:14 pm This coaching staff has:
1) Taken joke special teams and made them respectable
2) Maintained a defensive front 7 that withstands graduation without disaster (maybe still getting better)
3) Recognized that they could not get the type of QB needed to run the offense they wanted, so they changed the OC and QB style

I can't ask for much more than that out of a head coach/staff, and I think our staff is still learning and getting better within the conference.
This. Everything has been there in this staff save the offense. It's instilled organization, discipline and fundamentals. While we are still really lacking at place kicker the other units on ST's have clearly improved and with some of the athletes we've signed in the last two classes I expect our return game to really shine. The defensive staff has shown it can truly develop players. As to the offense getting to 2-5 may be the best thing that happened to this program. WF is a winner and he saw his career flashing before his eyes and knew he had to put his loyalty to staff aside and do right by the program. If he lets Hall have free reign with putting in his offense the playmakers are there to get it done. That is one thing we have usually been able to recruit here. Now we have an OC that will take full advantage of it. About time. Let's do this!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We should discuss placekicker in more depth or in another thread. Because that is still one of the biggest ? going into the season. Can we reliably make field goals from 40 yards in ?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 pm We should discuss placekicker in more depth or in another thread. Because that is still one of the biggest ? going into the season. Can we reliably make field goals from 40 yards in ?
That's a question we've had since Cairo graduated. It also ties us to the SuperDome. Kickers wanted to come to Tulane because of the Dome. We don't have that anymore, and we haven't had a reliable kicking game since we left the Dome.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:41 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 pm We should discuss placekicker in more depth or in another thread. Because that is still one of the biggest ? going into the season. Can we reliably make field goals from 40 yards in ?
That's a question we've had since Cairo graduated. It also ties us to the SuperDome. Kickers wanted to come to Tulane because of the Dome. We don't have that anymore, and we haven't had a reliable kicking game since we left the Dome.
Don't want to turn this into a kicking thread but many here may be expecting a little too much from the FG kicking. We've had some really reliable ones over the years, but FG kicking in college is pretty shaky for everyone compared to NFL. There just aren't that many "really good" kickers and the "really good" schools are trying to get them too. Even Saban and Bowden have been burned frequently.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bowden got screwed when he didn't give scholarships for a PK. Bowden learned the hard way and changed. I don't recall Saban getting screwed out of a NC by a PK.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Is consistent from 40 in asking too much ? Last year we were solid from 30 in
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Our FG game has SUCKED since Cairo graduated. It's not even been close to average D1. There's at least 12 HS kickers in the small state of Connecticut that are more consistent. I'd bet there's 100 in the US that are more consistent than what we've had. GO GET THEM!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 pm Our FG game has SUCKED since Cairo graduated. It's not even been close to average D1. There's at least 12 HS kickers in the small state of Connecticut that are more consistent. I'd bet there's 100 in the US that are more consistent than what we've had. GO GET THEM!
+1