Eddie Smith

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Offer Andy that position
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:50 pm Offer Andy that position
+1

AC could be a great recruiter and the next head coach. Probably why TJ and TD won't hire him.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Things must be in complete free fall with Jewett and the baseball program if our top assistant coach is taking a volunteer coaching position at LSU, Since Eddie was our hitting coach and hitting was our one positive from last season I am going to assume he is a quality coach. What highly qualified assistant is going to want to join this coaching staff for one season knowing that Jewett is a lame duck head coach? This new assistant will likely be at Tulane for only one year since Jewett’s replacement will want to choose his own assistant coaches.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Eddie knows a sinking ship when he’s on one— even if TD doesn’t.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hate to see it. He has a relationship with Mainieri so could be setting himself up to be his successor.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

When I first heard it was a Volunteer job I thought I had bad info. But Kendall Rogers hearing the same thing.
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Couple points. This is a demotion. Plain and simple. I’ve talked to couple D1 coaches and one may have even coached at LSU before (not AC).

Go from a top asst at Tulane to a volunteer coach at LSU, you lose a lot of benefits etc health insurance, as you are a volunteer. That being said a guy is not going to leave a full time top asst job to take a volunteer job unless he is being compensated somewhat manageable as they have families. Manieri is known to take care of his volunteers better than others and kicks a bunch of money to them. Albeit 70k-ish total package range.

This can one of few things. Jewett pushed him out? Sign that Jewett is on his way out, the staff knows and is potentially jewetts last year and eddie smith got out ahead of sinking ship. Or two maybe someone like ac is taking the job and was pushed out? Or maybe dannen is cutting baseball salaries. I dunno. Only things I can think of.

But the main point is this is not a promotion or a better job, there was motive behind it in some form or fashion.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am
This can one of few things. Jewett pushed him out? Sign that Jewett is on his way out, the staff knows and is potentially jewetts last year and eddie smith got out ahead of sinking ship. Or two maybe someone like ac is taking the job and was pushed out? Or maybe dannen is cutting baseball salaries. I dunno. Only things I can think of.
Bingo. It’s got to be about job security. No chance it’s Dannen cutting salary or Jewett pushing him out for someone better.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am Couple points. This is a demotion. Plain and simple. I’ve talked to couple D1 coaches and one may have even coached at LSU before (not AC).

Go from a top asst at Tulane to a volunteer coach at LSU, you lose a lot of benefits etc health insurance, as you are a volunteer. That being said a guy is not going to leave a full time top asst job to take a volunteer job unless he is being compensated somewhat manageable as they have families. Manieri is known to take care of his volunteers better than others and kicks a bunch of money to them. Albeit 70k-ish total package range.

But the main point is this is not a promotion or a better job, there was motive behind it in some form or fashion.
Or maybe he saw Jewett interviewing for another job so to protect himself he did the same.
One way to turn this negative into a positive is to hire Andy.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I am sure Eddie will be taken care of in the same manner as the "recruits"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:16 am I am sure Eddie will be taken care of in the same manner as the "recruits"
Sad but true. He’ll probably be getting more money there as a volunteer than he was here as a “paid” top assistant.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Forget hiring AC. I've heard that several athletics donors have threatened to withdraw their substantial financial support if AC is brought on.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MicMan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:15 am Forget hiring AC. I've heard that several athletics donors have threatened to withdraw their substantial financial support if AC is brought on.
I haven’t heard that but it’s pennies compared to the donors they lost not bringing him on the first time. They’d all come back. And if you making decisions hiring a baseball assistant coach based on our donors we’re in trouble. Need to hire the best coach that can help get the program back where it needs to be.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:16 am I am sure Eddie will be taken care of in the same manner as the "recruits"
No doubt. Plenty of "dark money" floating around LSU.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Need to back out of the Wally Pontiff Classic now. Eddie knows all our hitters and that is a huge advantage for LSU.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Quite a resume
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... d65b4.html

Will they refer to him as Ex-Tulane coach for the next few years? I doubt it. 🤣🤣
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide

I reverse my previous position on AC if this goes thru and if ES was the cause. Really, July to take a "volunteer" position. Thanks ES. Even if TJ gets canned next year, ES would do better to get a full time "paid" position at a D1 school at the close of the 2020 season.

But AC needs to come in and be a team player for a few years. I think TJ has the cover of a late departure to get it done. I think we could out pay the HS gig he has now. I would like to see AC battle "volunteer" coach in the recruiting trenches.

That said, if was my understanding TJ was the Vandy hitting coach and did the same at TU as well s head coach.
McWave
High Tide

McWave wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:24 pm I reverse my previous position on AC if this goes thru and if ES was the cause. Really, July to take a "volunteer" position. Thanks ES. Even if TJ gets canned next year, ES would do better to get a full time "paid" position at a D1 school at the close of the 2020 season.

But AC needs to come in and be a team player for a few years. I think TJ has the cover of a late departure to get it done. I think we could out pay the HS gig he has now. I would like to see AC battle "volunteer" coach in the recruiting trenches.

That said, if was my understanding TJ was the Vandy hitting coach and did the same at TU as well s head coach.
TJ could send AC out with the line up at the WPC. Absolutely love it.
Profoundwizard
Swell

MicMan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:15 am Forget hiring AC. I've heard that several athletics donors have threatened to withdraw their substantial financial support if AC is brought on.
I doubt that’s true, but if so, fuck em.
sader24
Tsunami

McWave wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:24 pm I reverse my previous position on AC if this goes thru and if ES was the cause. Really, July to take a "volunteer" position. Thanks ES. Even if TJ gets canned next year, ES would do better to get a full time "paid" position at a D1 school at the close of the 2020 season.

Cannizzaro is making $120k to coach at Holy Cross this year. Lots of coaches over there aren’t happy about it. As I understand it, it’s a 1-2yr gig and he’s heading back to college. I doubted the $120k figure myself, but it’s factual.
Profoundwizard
Swell

sader24 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 pm

Cannizzaro is making $120k to coach at Holy Cross this year. Lots of coaches over there aren’t happy about it. As I understand it, it’s a 1-2yr gig and he’s heading back to college. I doubted the $120k figure myself, but it’s factual.
I’d heard 100k, didn’t believe it either. Crazy.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Is it just me or are optics of this situation really bad for TU baseball?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not just you.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 pm
sader24 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 pm

I’d heard 100k, didn’t believe it either. Crazy.
I heard 2 years Total $120,000 ($60K a year)